Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,264 | Reviews: 300

3.62/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

- brewed with toasted coconut.

A: Orange-ish-ice tea coloring with a billowy, frothy, one inch soft beige head that was resilient. Good rush of carbonation along the vessel's walls with a thick, foam lace band.

S: Nutty caramel aroma with coconut and a malt sweetness turning late to a dry walnut shell finish.

T: Flavor was toasted coconut and toasted caramel. Some light key-lime, nuttiness, dry walnuts, malty notes with cola and granola. Toasty oak with some wet citrus.

M: Good carbonation on the mouthful, creamy maltiness with a spicy dry nuttiness off the tongue.

O: Overall a nice addition of toasted coconut with a sweet malt body makes this a drinkable brown ale that was well balanced and worthy of multiples.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - A nice brown color, with a decent head.

Smell - a sweet tropical and coconut.; with malty smell as well.

Taste - It is a bitter malty flavor, with a strong coconut flavor.

Mouthfeel - It is a bit light, good carbonation.

Overall - Pretty good, even though I don't like coconut.

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear chestnut brown, good carbonation, eggshell white head that leaves some lacing.

S: Fresh coconut and caramel. Simple but good balance.

T: Lots of coconut, both fresh and toasted, caramel, a touch of nuttiness. The coconut might be a little overpowering, but it all works well to create a warm porter with a delicious twist. Finish is short.

M: A little watery, which isn't consistent for the style but makes the drinkability extreme.

O: They could have gone overboard with the coconut, and luckily they only did a little. It's definitely the predominant note, but it's fresh and real, and rounded with some classic malty porter notes. I'm bringing some next time I go to the beach.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

3.4/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep brown in color. Really small head - less than one finger - that dissipated a little too quickly. Almost no lacing. Kind of disappointing, really.

S: Toasty nut aroma. You can easily pick up hints of coconut. I wasn't getting coconut per say, but my friends I was drinking with were raving about the strong coconut scent. Maybe I just don't know what coconut tastes like, but I wasn't getting much coconut.

T: Hmm. Trying to figure this one out. Again, I get a roasted nut flavor, but not necessarily coconut. You get a huge malt profile. Not necessarily complex. Very rich, robust toffee flavor, but that's really the overpowering flavor in this brew, to me anyways. Not very bitter at all, but at 28 IBUs I wouldn't expect that. Completely different from the beers I'm used to drinking.

M: Very crisp on the mouth. Not too dry. Most of the time when I think of browns or darker, heavier beers, I get the feeling of the beer blanketing my tongue. Not the case here. Pretty smooth and easy drinking. Starts to coat the back of the mouth, but for most of the drink it goes right down.

Overall: Maybe it's because I'm still not the biggest brown ale fan, but this beer just wasn't my jam. I wouldn't say this is a bad beer, but it's not necessarily one I enjoy. Very very malty. I'm really trying to expand my beer repertoire and want to start drinking things other than APAs and IPAs and start appreciating browns, stouts, and porters. This wasn't too daunting to me. I honestly think I just have to get used to not being assaulted by hops with each drop. I don't think that would really change my opinion of the beer, though. I don't want to say it's a bad beer, because it's not. This is one of the few browns/darker I've been able to finish. I just don't think I'm fully able to appreciate this beer yet. Hopefully one day I'll be able to really appreciate browns and darker.

Poured this into my snifter because my pint glass was no where to be found :(

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.