Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
Reviews: 302 | Hads: 1,272
3.68/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Off white head that lingers. Appears reddish brown. Aroma is light but very pleasant of toasted coconut. Taste of vanilla and light toasted coconut with light body. Caramel notes emerge as it warms. Fantastic concept but I wish there was more body or sweetness to enhance the coconut flavor. (291 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%

Appearance: Dark Brown with out the blackness raining in. There is a copper tingle running through this beer.

Smell: Littlw on the low side of things. It is fine just not that powerful.

Taste: I was blown away by the taste of this beer. It was powerful but wonderful. It rolled through the mouth with a wonderful chocolate flavor mixed with carmel. I love this beers flavor.

Mouthfeel: Little to much carbonization.

Give it a try. You will enjoy... (452 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into NB Globe.

This beer pours with a relatively thin off-white head. Translucent, deep brown in color.

Smells include light nuttiness, general syrupy sweetness and maybe a hint of coconut.

Taste is underwhelming; toasted malts, light grains, some sweet coconut essence. Tastes to me like a weak brown ale, nothing really standing out.

Highly carbonated and thin. Not mellow or smooth as one would hope to get from a brown ale.

The thought of coconut in a beer was very enticing but overall pretty disappointing effort. Won't buy again. (569 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I really, really want to like these Kona Beers, but something just keeps holding me back. Of all the Kona's I have had, this one is by far the best. The Koko Brown has a rich brown color with a frothy head that has staying power. The scent and taste is definitely strong in the roasted area and distant with regards to coconut - almost a good blend. The mouthfeel is bold and thick, complementing the full ale flavor. However, overall, I had to be honest with myself and grade them almost outstanding - close, but just no cigar. (528 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -16.2%

Bottle poured in a pint glass. Smell is pleasant enough a little malty sweetness and some toasted notes, no discernable coconut however. Mouthfeel comes up short very thin feeling, makes me go back for another sip but has me looking for something more. Taste is nice, sweet malt is back again along with the toast, after really trying I get the coconut but it doesnt stand out at all. A decent brown ale but nothing special and if I didnt say coconut I probably would never have known. (488 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Remarkable color and clarity. Transluscent light brown with a tinge of red. Small white head that dissipates quickly and leaves behind a bit of lacing.

Aroma is weak. Should be fruitier and maltier with more toasted coconut presence. Smells like Sam Adams Irish Red... bready, light caramel, old crystal malt.

Flavor is much better than the aroma. Nice and smooth. Not overbearing with the coconut. Just the mildest notes remain. Easy drinking with a good balance of bitterness. I could drink a few of these at a party. It is rather balanced with not too much sugar and therefore it doesn't give me a headache.

The mouthfeel is thin and lackluster. With better aroma and mouthfeel, this would be a very solid coconut beer. (725 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%

12oz bottle from a 6-pack. Bought it since Kona's Pipeline porter is so good and it is out of season.

Filtered, dark with a tall head poured vigorously in a goblet. medium sized bubbles.

smell is dark and roasty,to match a good brown or even a dry porter. I feel like I can smell a little coconut, but only since I am looking for it.

Taste is a little odd, it dries up on the tongue quickly to a flat earthy flavor, after that you have a pleasant roast. Initial taste of each sip has a pronounced sweet coconutiness, but the transition from that flavor to the darker flavors isn't smooth. The main flavor is a little "dirty" not clean, and it just isn't quite right.

mouthfeel is a little too dry actually, and I like don't like sweet beers. Drinkability is pretty high, but overall preference for this beer is low. I won't be buying this again, but I still look forward to Pipeline Season again! (902 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Pour: Clear, dark reddish-brown color. Two fingers of off-white head that had average retention and some nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Coconut is the forerunner of the aroma. Supported by a bit of roasted malt and coffee. Rather interesting.

Taste: Once again, the coconut is very much the star of the taste, though it doesn't dominate everything. Tied together by some molasses/caramel in the front, a nutty quality in the middle, and a coffee-like back end. Quite good, I think.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but a little overcarbonated I think. Makes for a rather prickly feeling on the tongue.

Drinkability/Overall: Drinks like a fizzy soda due to the carbonation. Good flavors, and very sessionable. Not too filling.

Final Notes: A rather interesting experiment by Kona, but it paid off. This Brown Ale is both interesting and unique, and tastes great. The coconut adds a little something special, I think, and would serve to make it a great semi-sweet beer to pair with some dessert. I dig it. (1,007 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

I don't know. On the one hand, this isn't a bad beer. On the other, I don't quite get that coconut island taste.

Its definitely a brown ale though. Good nutty characteristic, sweet malt and a creamy taste. The flavors are solid, if a little lacking.

I was really expecting that coconut flavor here. I mean...I don't know if I should've gotten the oddest note of chocolate out of the flavors.

Taken on its own, its fine enough. Just don't expect anything too special and its a decent brown ale from Kona Brewing. If you're looking for a brown ale thats promising an extra bit of flavor, compare this to Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Ale and you'll see why I'm kinda disappointed here. (679 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Bottled on April 3rd.

A-Pours a brown orange color with hues of red. There was a tan head that dissipated within 2 minutes and left a little white ring around the edges. It eventually goes a flat.

S-Smelled nutty, sweet, and a hint of toasted coconut.

T-This beer tasted like someone dumped coconut tanning oil into it. The coconut taste, along with carbonated water, were really the only tastes I could sense. The aftertaste reminded me of what my mouth feels like after I vomit (not to be gross).

M-A little too heavy on the carbonation.

Overall-I will not drink this beer again. I love coconut, but not in my beer. The idea surrounding coconut in beer sounds interesting, but when it comes down to drinking it, I'll take another brown beer instead. Nice try. (805 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a dark brown color with a nice 2 finger cream colored head that leaves a decent lacing in a 16oz pub glass.

Smell is really nice. Malts, as you would expect of a beer so dark. I can barely make out the roasted coconut that the bottle seems to be so proud of.

Taste is of malts with that slight taste of coconut right at the end. Second taste really gets that coconut taste.

Mouthfeel is alright. Nothing exciting and not much carbonation.

Overall a great beer in my opinion. I really like the maltiness of this beer and the coconut taste is wonderful. I would like more of the coconut taste to come out but still, this is a great tasting beer. (656 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +6%

12oz bottle with bottle date 3/18/11, poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/8/11

A: Pours a deep, dark brown with a thin head that quickly dissipates into a thin film on top of the beer.

S: Big coconut aroma, some nuttiness, possibly almonds as well. The strength of the coconut smell overpowers any malt or hop aromas.

T: Coconut and almond dominate the taste of this one, a touch of toasty malt, some hop bitterness and a bit of chocolate combine wonderfully. You can taste the coconut as soon as this hits your lips but really lingers in your mouth for quite a while after swallowing.

M: Medium-thin bodied with good carbonation, smooth with a nice hop bite to even things out.

O: I think Kona really achieved what they were going for with this one, the coconut flavor and aroma are both quite bold but don't completely overpower the beer, tasty stuff. (871 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Overall, a pleasantly balanced beer. I was afraid that the coconut flavor would either be non-existent or over powering. It was neither. You get a pleasant hint of coconut that blends nicely with the overall nuttiness of the beer. It's especially nice to drink during the winter, dreaming of warmer, tropical days. (314 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

what a great beer a little bit of aftertaste but it goes down smoothed this is mr beach beer sitting on the beach drinking this would be heaven i use to drink brown ales but never found one that hitthe spot but oh baby does this hit the spot so find your beach and drink (270 characters)

12oz. bottle into mug.

A: Dark brown with a minimal head, resulting from an overly gentle pour. There's some good lace on the top, though.

S: Sweet chocolate, toasted coconut, pastry.

T/M: Sweet, nutty, toasty. Coconut is strong in the finish, while the front is sweet and chocolatey. No bitterness. Mouthfeel is fairly heavy, which is not surprising for how sweet it is. Tastes like a cake.

Overall: I like it, but it also doesn't resemble any other brown ale I've had. I can see how typical brown ale flavors play off and are enhanced by the coconut. I think the brewers could cut back on the sweetness, though. (617 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

A great looking chestnut brown with a beige foamy head. The scent of toasted coconut really comes through and there is a slight boozyness in the background. There is alot of cocnut here, maybe more than I would like. Its a bit sweet but there is enough other stuff going on to keep you interested. It has a light body and retained a fair amount of chunky lacing. This is a good picnic beer or a beer for those that dont like beer? An interesting brew and one that should be tried, especially for desert with maybe some fried bananas and vanilla ice cream. (555 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a slightly amber, Newcastle-ish brown with a white-tan, half finger thick head. Lacing is high and persistent. Nose definitely puts across the promised coconut, along with some biscuity malt and dry hop characteristics. The overall impression is almost a faint toffee. Taste is to the malty side for an ale, the toasted coconut coming through rather subtly-sweet (although I see how it could get cloying for some people). Finish is surprisingly crisp, with something almost like maple syrup left on the tongue.

Maybe it's because I warmed up with a few Magic Hat #9's, but I found this beer surprisingly good. Good spring pick, and I'd definitely buy it again to share. (677 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Tried on draft at KBC at the Honolulu airport. A very nice light brown pour with a generous 2 finger white head. Decent spotting and lacing throughout. Smell is toasted coconut, nuts and some fruits. Taste follows the nose, but thankfully it's not a coconut bomb. It actually accents the beer nicely and I'm not a huge coconut fan. Definately a unique spin on the style and I enjoyed the effort. This has been my favorite offering from Kona. Fruits and nuts blend into the taste well. Pretty complex which was a surprise. Feel is medium with good carbonation. Like my brown with a bit more body, but it's adequate. Overall- A good effort with a unique spin on the style, more of a sessionable brown. It works for me and will try out of the bottle back home- (757 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance-a deep brown with a light khaki head 1 finger of foam that leaves a thin cap on the beer

Aroma- chocolate and coconut some yeasty sourness

Taste- nutty with tastes of raisins toasted almonds and of course coconut. LIke a toasted macaroon actually I haven't tasted side by side but it may give that maui brewing coconut beer a run for its money. hops balance out and give you a bit of a poke at the end but the whole thing cleans up pretty well on the pallete.

Mouthfeel- medium bodied theres a lip smacking maltyness but it is not overly sweet or syrupy.

Overall- there may be some biased here but i visited Kona Brew Co on my honeymoon. Great beers. I especially like this one! (695 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a clear brown-copper with a large off-white head. The aroma is coconut oil/suntan lotion and ocean. My first few whiffs took me to the beach in Hawaii! The taste is all toasted coconut. A lovely little coconut beer as a diversion - not sure I'd want more than one or two. (277 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This one is deep dark brown but super clear for the style. Smells like toasted coconut, blackstrap molasses, and sweet, nutty malts. The taste does bring a slight pine and resinous hop flavor to balance the roast and caramel malts. The coconut seems almost burnt in the mouth, which is pleasant, surprisingly. The mouthfeel is far less full than the typical brown ale. There is a distinct flavor that I have trouble pinpointing.

After about eight of the twelve ounces poured from this bottle have been consumed, I finally got it. It smells like whiskey! Jack Daniels and brown sugar. This is not a note that I have before experienced in a brown ale, but it works in this one. Whiskey and toasted kokonut make this a unique brew--and unlike many sweet ales it tastes as if it is stronger rather than weaker than the actual alcohol content. It tastes like hard alcohol--whiskey--but instead it's only...wait it does not say what percent on the bottle. BeerAdvocate says it's 5.5% but the spot on the bottle where the ABV was listed on other Kona brews is just empty space on the Koko Brown label. I guess I should be ready if I start feeling hammered, since it did taste just like JD. (1,183 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +9%

A: Pours a clear mahogany with reddish highlights. A finger of off white head quickly dissipates leaving only some trace foam on top.

S: Lovely aromas of toasted coconut sweet maltiness. Not overly complex, but good.

T: Toasted coconut with sweet malt character dominates the beginning of the flavor, and then fades to sweet toffee notes at the end.

M: Somewhat thin, but not so much that it negatively affects the flavor. It probably makes the beer a bit more quaffable than a heavier mouthfeel would have.

O: A pretty decent beer with some interesting flavors. This would probably go great with some roasted meat or chocolate desserts. (641 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured from the botlle into Sam Adams sensory pint glass.

A: Looks appealing nice saopy looking two fingers width head that sits atop a cherry mahogany colored brew, plenty of bubble scoming up looks nicely carbonated.

S: slightly pedestrian smell with musty graininess forefront with a slight malt sweetness and although the coconut was apparent when first poured it seems to have faded into oblivion by the second sip.

T: Although i had hopes that the coconut would provide this beer with a more tropical feel the coconut in my opinion leans the flavoring towards more of a burnt toast than a tropical beer.

M: Medium bodied and carbonated nicely.

O: The slight coconut taste in the beginning is what made this beer average when it faded after the second to third sip there was nothing that made this standout. I would not pass one down if offered (i guess) but i will certainly not seek out another. Another novelty flavored brew to check off my list and now to avoid..

Prost!!! (988 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - nice dark brown cola like color. Bubbly head that lasted for a short while.

Smell - the roasty toasty of the beer is the most prevalent scent here. Smells really good actually. A great cool weather beer.

Taste - I actually really like this beer. It is unlike anything I have ever had before. I can really taste the toasted coconut.

Mouthfeel - good

Overall - greater I am going to have again. (409 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -7.9%

Thanks to the roommate for picking this one up. Don't know where she got it, but I guess it doens't really matter. Part of the Aloha Series.

A: A very dark brown, but you can still see through it. Minimal carbonation bubbles, and very little, to no lacing.

S: On the first smell, I couldn't pick up any aroma, but after a second smell, I got a face full of coconut. Very nice chocolate aroma as well.

T: Right away, you can get a taste of some dried coconut. It was very exotic, especially for a Hawaiian brewery. The aftertaste also had an explosion of coconut. The brewers knew what they were aiming for when they made this.

M: Just like the mint flavored beer I had a few weeks ago, it took me a bit to enjoy how this beer felt in my mouth. The flavor really catches you off guard at first, especially if you've never had coconut flavor in your beer. Nice medium body that went down pretty nice and easy.

D: Probably won't try this one again. Not a bad beer by any means. I don't really like fruity beers. But since this one is a nice brown ale, i'll let it slide. (1,074 characters)

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.