Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
Reviews: 303 | Hads: 1,276
3.36/5  rDev -7.9%

Thanks to the roommate for picking this one up. Don't know where she got it, but I guess it doens't really matter. Part of the Aloha Series.

A: A very dark brown, but you can still see through it. Minimal carbonation bubbles, and very little, to no lacing.

S: On the first smell, I couldn't pick up any aroma, but after a second smell, I got a face full of coconut. Very nice chocolate aroma as well.

T: Right away, you can get a taste of some dried coconut. It was very exotic, especially for a Hawaiian brewery. The aftertaste also had an explosion of coconut. The brewers knew what they were aiming for when they made this.

M: Just like the mint flavored beer I had a few weeks ago, it took me a bit to enjoy how this beer felt in my mouth. The flavor really catches you off guard at first, especially if you've never had coconut flavor in your beer. Nice medium body that went down pretty nice and easy.

D: Probably won't try this one again. Not a bad beer by any means. I don't really like fruity beers. But since this one is a nice brown ale, i'll let it slide. (1,074 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -31%

There's something about coconut that sings out to me, even if it is on the label of an unwarranted bottling by a relatively unknown brewing company. It's the mystery of the fruit, like a hidden jewel of milk and flesh hanging out of reach to those without either ape-like strength or a raging fire of human ingenuity.

I take mine in a glass.

Pours a disappointing absence of a head and... well...

It seems the conventions of beer have been all but burned at the stake in the making of this "brown ale." The coconut flavor is way over the top me. It smells okay, and even the aftertaste ain't bad, but drinking the thing provides the inescapable sensation of a lab-made flavor topped with Sweet 'n Low. Unfortunately reminiscent of the mask disguising your childhood antibiotics, this beer will be a drain pour for many.

As someone who will eat an entire coconut raw in minutes milk included, perhaps I set the standard too high. From what I remember though, Pipeline Porter doesn't bash you over the head with aggrandized "coffee" flavor, which is entirely the problem here. Ease off on the sweetness, let the malts take center stage, and retune the coconut and we'd have a desirable brown ale. As of now, it's a no go. Sorry. (1,230 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had on-tap into a pint glass at TJ Stone's in Old Town Alexandria, VA, as well as Kooper's Tavern in Fells Point, Baltimore

A: Nice brown color, very thin tan head with some good lacing
S: Coconut, coconut, coconut - they didn't hold back
T: Again tons of coconut and really well done in doing so - makes the beer sweet, but not over-the-top
M: Thin but nice and smooth
O: This is an excellent easily-drinkable spring/summer beer. A very nice change of pace from the usual brown ale, and very easy to chug through a few of these (530 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep brown in color. Really small head - less than one finger - that dissipated a little too quickly. Almost no lacing. Kind of disappointing, really.

S: Toasty nut aroma. You can easily pick up hints of coconut. I wasn't getting coconut per say, but my friends I was drinking with were raving about the strong coconut scent. Maybe I just don't know what coconut tastes like, but I wasn't getting much coconut.

T: Hmm. Trying to figure this one out. Again, I get a roasted nut flavor, but not necessarily coconut. You get a huge malt profile. Not necessarily complex. Very rich, robust toffee flavor, but that's really the overpowering flavor in this brew, to me anyways. Not very bitter at all, but at 28 IBUs I wouldn't expect that. Completely different from the beers I'm used to drinking.

M: Very crisp on the mouth. Not too dry. Most of the time when I think of browns or darker, heavier beers, I get the feeling of the beer blanketing my tongue. Not the case here. Pretty smooth and easy drinking. Starts to coat the back of the mouth, but for most of the drink it goes right down.

Overall: Maybe it's because I'm still not the biggest brown ale fan, but this beer just wasn't my jam. I wouldn't say this is a bad beer, but it's not necessarily one I enjoy. Very very malty. I'm really trying to expand my beer repertoire and want to start drinking things other than APAs and IPAs and start appreciating browns, stouts, and porters. This wasn't too daunting to me. I honestly think I just have to get used to not being assaulted by hops with each drop. I don't think that would really change my opinion of the beer, though. I don't want to say it's a bad beer, because it's not. This is one of the few browns/darker I've been able to finish. I just don't think I'm fully able to appreciate this beer yet. Hopefully one day I'll be able to really appreciate browns and darker.

Poured this into my snifter because my pint glass was no where to be found :( (1,970 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +2.5%

Bought at Ralph's Monterey Park, Ca April 16, 2012

A light brown color on the first pour into a Steinlager glass. The smell of light coconuts off the glass. First taste is a distinct coconut flavor with a brown ale backend. A light toasted coconut mouthfeel settles on the tongue. Overall, a good interesting beer especially on a hot summer day. A lighter version of a Coconut Porter from Maui Brewing. Think I'll have another. (428 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +25.2%

A - Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Half finger of light tan head. Nut brown amber coloring. Clear.

S - Dark malts, coconut and chocolate come through in the nose.

T - Starts as an excellent brown ale. Moves into a light coconut flavoring. Clean finish with lingering notes of coconut.

M - Smooth and creamy with light carbonation.

O - This beer would be great without the coconut flavoring, just as a brown ale. With wonderfully abundant coconut notes in the nose and a touch of coconut in the finish, this beer is taken to the next level of craft beers. (564 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is the Kona Brewing Company's Koko Brown Ale, their coconut-influenced nut brown ale. The Koko Brown pours out a dark brown color, not quite as dark as the picture suggests. The foam on top is a light cream color, that starts fairly thick but fades quickly.

The aromas are subtle, dominated by roasted malts with a just a touch of nutty aromas. With some vigorous swirling in the glass I can pick up a little bit of that coconut I've heard so much about, but really only as an underlying layer.

The flavor profile is equally subtle. It's a soft brown ale, dominated by roasted (nearly burnt) malts with just a small influence of coconut and nut flavors. I let the brew come closer to room temperature to see if I get a little more, but I'm unfortunately disappointed. Actually as the Koko Brown comes up to temperature, it's becoming somewhat less drinkable. Sorry, but I'm not excited about this one. (908 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

If I ever go back to Hawaii this will be the beer I drink.

This is not my personal taste preference in a beer, however it does capture the Hawaiian feel very well. This is definitely the kind of beer you have try for yourself to see what you think, I know my taste but not yours, and I can see why this one would be very good to some people.

Dark like a porter, coconut, brown sugar, toasted malt. (400 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked this up as part of a variety pack at F4L on sale for $13.

A- This beer pours a nice deep clear brown with a persistent tan 1" head with nice lacing down the glass.

S- Strong caramel malt with toasted coconut. I really didn't pick up much hops...

T- If you like toasted coconut - this is your beer! It has a delicious toasted coconut flavor with strong caramel malts.

M- This was a medium heavy beer with a very nice full mouth feel.

D- This beer was delicious ...but I LOVE coconut so... I found it to be somewhat on the sweeter side with nice malt and toasted coconut dominating. I honestly didn't find any hop bitterness, aroma, or flavor. But I don't care - I LOVE coconut!

I really enjoyed this beer and would get it separately or on tap. Yum! Desert beer! (777 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a glass.

A: Pours a dark brown. Held to the light, a mahogany (dark red-amber) color is apparent. Sandy-colored head dissipates very slowly and leaves moderate lacing. Very little-to-no carbonation visible.

S: Smells of chocolate, roasted coffee with a slight hint of coconut in the background. Also smells a bit sweet, perhaps from molasses.

T: Same as smell. A blend of roasted coffee, chocolate and coconut. Brown sugar and/or molasses may also be present and hence has a somewhat sweet element to it. It all blends well. One of the best tasting beers I've had in a while.

M: Medium-bodied. No carbonation.

O: Overall one of the best beers I've had since Samuel Adams Noble Pils. This has become one of my new favorite beers. Reminds me a bit of Quilter's Irish Death. If you see this one, definitely give it a try! (833 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: medium brown, virtually no head, a few white bubbles along the glass

S: bready malts, nuty, coconut

T: general nuty taste, mild toasted coconut, malty

M: medium, a little dry and bitter

Overall a good beer but nothing special. Wish the coconut stood out a little more and had more sweetness, seems more of a general roasted nut taste to me. (347 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +5.2%

Hadn't tried this seasonal from the folks at Kona Brewing yet. 12. oz bottle poured into a regular pint glass.

Pours with a fat finger of head that dissapates quickly. A touch lighter then some other brown ales. Not much for bubbles.

Has a toasted coconut aroma. Reminiscent of a really fruity cup of joe. Slight sweetness there too.

Certainly not a typical brown ale, but I don't think that's what they are going for either. A slightly sweet flavor up front with a more meaty chocolate malt & coconut flavor backing it up.

A pretty substantial mouthfeel. It isn't too heavy, but the depth of flavor is there.

Drinkability is lacking a little. This is a very solid interesting take on the style, but I'm not sure that I'm reaching for another one in the same sitting. Maybe if I had a fireplace by my side. (811 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A nice production from the island. Poured into a pint glass, at first I thought it was a dark brown but it has more red tints in the light. Great smell of vanilla and coconut and not overbearing. The taste really brought out more of a toasted coconut and reminded me of an unsweetened macaroon - I mean that as a good thing too. It didn't have the sticky aftertaste I was expecting and that was refreshing. I'd gladly have another one. (435 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Glass: Nonic pint glass

Appearance: Dark brown with a creamy light brown head.

Smell: the only thing I'm getting here is coconut.

Taste: Toasted coconuts, slightly nutty, notes of baker's chocolate, and a malty caramel finish. Lots and lots of coconuts.

Mouthfeel: Thin light bodied with strong carbonation.

If the chocolate flavor in this brew was sweeter I think it would taste kinda like an almond joy. (410 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

A: poured into a pint at Amsterdam In SF. It pours a clear mahogany - reddish brown. It has a small tan head with fine lacing and small carbonation running up the beer.

S: It smells like coconut! Like the candied coconut - like the kind you get in an Almond Joy candy bar. I also get sweet milk notes a hint of chocolate. It's mainly coconut though.

T: The taste is predominantly roasted sweet coconut, with some light malts, a hint of nut, and a touch of hops to balance the milky sweet.

M&O: The mouthfeel is not too heavy, more of a medium light body. The sweetness in it is light making it drinkable and easygoing. Not a terribly complex beer. The coconut is so predominant that it makes this just a simple beer that you can easily drink without much thought. (767 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +6.6%

I don't get the low reviews on this one, I see it different

A. Dark amber, one finger kakhi color head

S. Bitter hop, coffee, sweet

T. Coconut, coffee, sweet brown sugar

M. Medium body, nice carbonation, clean finish, roasted aftertaste

O. Great beer, I'm a fan (268 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +15.3%

KONA KOKO BROWN IS THE MOUNTAIN DEW OF BEERS. You know, like when you want something to drink, but you don't really know what you want but you know you want a soda, and you see the Mountain Dew and you're like "Fuck Yeah! Mountain Dew!!!" Thats what its like when I want beer and I see it sitting in the beer fridge.

A: Wtf, are they paddle boarding? It's hawaii, hit up some waves, fags. Greg Noll up in this mother

S- my first thought is port-o-potties. This beer makes me really happy, but ive never smelled it until this review, and it doesnt smell very good! Damn you BeerAdvocate, you ruined this beer for me by making me sniff it.

T_ Sooo sweet and rich. Think like BBQ'd coconut. Minus the BBQ sauce. Plus beer.

M= cant feel my mouth right now. must have drank too manies

O# i fucking love this beer. never let it go. stay in my life forever. but not like married. like one of serveral girlfriends that i can call upon antime. (941 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -13.4%

Appearance: The beer appears as any other brown. More head would make for a prettier pour, and if they could get it to stick around longer, it would certainly improve the beers aesthetics. No lacing is evident, either.

Smell: The aroma is elusive. If you really get your nose in there and give a good sniff, you might be able to get a hint of the rich toasted coconut promised by the bottle, but it's faint. No malt, no hops, and little in the nose at all.

Taste: I had high expectations for this beer. Having cut my coconut beer teeth on Maui's Coconut Porter, this beer had some big shoes to fill. At first, I was preparing myself for disappointment, as the "brown-ness" of this beer leaves something to be desired. I expected more of a malty kick. However, that toasted coconut really comes through on the finish and lingers in your mouth for what seems like ages. Where I would normally expect some trace hops to cut the sweetness of the brown on the finish, the toasted coconut takes that place. And I keep saying toasted, because that's what they say they brewed with. It tastes like it. It's not the sweetness of the raw coconut...it's the caramelized sugars and slight roastiness of toasted coconut, and it's definitely a pleasant difference!

Mouthfeel: Given the richness of coconut, I had high hopes for the mouthfeel, but was disappointed. It's thin, not quite watery, but not what you'd expect from a 5.5% abv brown. Maybe the toasted coconut imparts an astringency they can't shake. Whatever it is, it's definitely not a rich, brown ale. More the mouthfeel of a pale.

Overall: I didn't know what to expect from this beer, but enjoyed the novelty. It's not a "big" beer like Maui's coconut porter, but I don't think it's really trying to be. It's a decent enough session beer, and if you like toasted coconut, I'm willing to bet you crack another one open as that coconut finish lingers well after your last sip. But it's not stellar. (1,950 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -14.5%

A- Red/brown color with tall white head. Retention is average

S- Lots of malts and hazelnut. Can't really pick out the coconut

T- Very nutty. Slight hints of toffee and coconut

M- Medium body, with mild carbonation. I'd like it to have been smoother, but overall, it works.

O- I wish the coconut was stronger in this beer, as it's advertised up in front on the package. However, it's a nice change up to the standard light summer ales I normally drink. Would buy again (473 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a Pint glass

A: very nice dark color with a thin brown tinted head that dissipates pretty quickly

S: smell of toasty coconut (obviously) and a nice hint of vanilla. You really get a toasted smell when it comes to the cocnut and vanilla, not bad.

T: taste is very similar to the smell you get. The vanilla and coconut come across as soon as you sip and it has a very small but nice bite at the end.

M: Not a lot of carbonation, but I think it’s a decent amount. Really smooth as the tastes come across. The feel was really right in the middle, not too light and not heavy.

Overall I was pretty impressed. I didn’t expect for the flavors to come across as well as they did and the vanilla was definitely a nice surprise. I think they definitely hit the nail on the head going for a “toasted coconut” kind of thing. (859 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

What a nice surprise this beer is. I didn't expect much since I'm not a huge fan of coconut, but this was good.

The appearance is dark with amber reflextions, a thick light brown head that disappears in a few seconds.

The smell is nice but weak. The tastes is obviously sweet, with vanilla, chocolate and coconuts. But not too sweet, the malts compensate very well. After a couple of seconds the roasted coconuts overwhelm the other flavors (in a good way), leaving you craving for more.

Considering this is not a heavy beer, I finished the bottle way faster than usual.

Medium body and medium-high carbonation. (615 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -1.6%

Got this 6 pack for 8 bucks. Had it last year and liked it.

A-clear brown slight red tint color. Very little lacing.

S- slight malt sweetness, with lots of toffee and coconut smells, I love coconut so its really good!

T-pretty mild brown ale taste with the coconut in the background. Yum!

M- pretty light and small amount of carbonation

O- I like its, its not great, but I like it. I'd recommend it. Nothing to really flip over but its tasty and well done! Prost! (468 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottle -> Craft Beer Glass

A: Rich dark brown with a nice red hue, 3/4" creamy tan head that hangs for a while, thick web lacing.
S: Bittersweet cocoa powder, roasted coffee, vanilla.
T: There's the coconut..., dark chocolate, toasty malts, creamed coffee, nice subtle bitter finish.
M: Medium-bodied, higher CO2 which adds to the creaminess, nice rich coating effect.
O: Tasty brew. I love coconut in brews - it adds a smoothness and cuts the bitterness in dark ales and leaves you with a creaminess & great drinkability. Not overdone, but well done. (558 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Nice creamy head to be sure. Minimal carbonation.

S. The aroma was more then what I expected. I was expecting a little bit of coconut, but as soon as cracked it open, I got an exquisite smell of coconuts before it even hit my glass.

T. I truly enjoy coconut, but not like this. I was hoping there would be a balance of other distinct flavors, but couldnt find any here. It was like tasting a very bitter mounds bar, thats not for me.

M. The mouthfeel was medium to average, nothing to write letters home about.

O. After I tasted this for the 1st time, I must say that it wasnt horrible, but certainly nothing I would ever purchase again. Not at all a good session brew by any means. Im placing the other five beers on the bottom shelf of my fridge, incase Im out of beer, and thats all there is. The only other option is to pour them down the sink and feed the fish. (911 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I really wanted to like this beer. The look was just the way I like: dark with a amber hue. The aroma wonderful dark, rich, with a hint of coconut. The beer poured well with a full 1" head in the craft pub glass I used. While I let it breath, I drank the last sip from the bottle. It was wonderful. Dark and malty with a believable hint of dark chocolate and the whiff of toasted coconut.

A few moments latter I sniffed the glass and swiftly took my first full sip. Wham. I was hit by the coconut. The more I drank the more the coconut overpowered. It was so good out of the bottle, I really wanted to like the glass. I couldn't finish. Maybe I'll give it another try but keep it in the bottle. Possibly I'm overwhelmed by the coconut aroma and I liked the first sip out of the bottle because my nose wasn't in the glass. (823 characters)

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.