Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

(Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
chickencoop

OK, got duped by the bottle. Guys tricked me into buying a sixer beacuse from what I thought, i was getting a nice brown ale with a hint of coconut wafting in from the Hawaii shores...not so much. Way to much coconut on this, completely over-powers the beer, but then again, that is good, because as the coconut fades, the cardboardy beer comes through. I was hoping for something else, oh well..this will get a ton of sales from soccer-moms in the mid-west that just got back from a family hawaiian trip however, so they get the last laugh.

04-21-2011 05:27:48 | More by chickencoop
isualum12

Idaho

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance: Dark Brown with out the blackness raining in. There is a copper tingle running through this beer.

Smell: Littlw on the low side of things. It is fine just not that powerful.

Taste: I was blown away by the taste of this beer. It was powerful but wonderful. It rolled through the mouth with a wonderful chocolate flavor mixed with carmel. I love this beers flavor.

Mouthfeel: Little to much carbonization.

Give it a try. You will enjoy...

04-19-2011 02:24:15 | More by isualum12
david18

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

I had a seven ounce pour of this as a part of a sampler at Pour 24 in Las Vegas' New York New York Hotel. Overall this beer was way too coconut-y in both aroma and flavor and I couldn't get past it to the beer. The color was nice and as a brown should be but everything else was coconut. I'm not a big fan of any fruit flavor in my beer so i had trouble reviewing it for anything else.

04-18-2011 19:56:55 | More by david18
atomicbeer

New Mexico

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a clear brown-copper with a large off-white head. The aroma is coconut oil/suntan lotion and ocean. My first few whiffs took me to the beach in Hawaii! The taste is all toasted coconut. A lovely little coconut beer as a diversion - not sure I'd want more than one or two.

04-17-2011 23:46:45 | More by atomicbeer
SamN

Colorado

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

Served in a dimpled stein.

Huge dirty brown head explodes out of the glass. Pretty dark beer here, beautiful dark amber/orange color. Great head retention and nice lacing being left already. Strong smells, like Somoan cookies; cookie-like malt bill, creamy and sweet coconut, some coffe. A seriously sweet smelling beer, almost a bit too much on the sugary side. Still, nice combo with the brown ale and coconut. Taste is less sweet, mercifully. Basically, it's a worthy brown ale with a slab of coconut on it. Unique tastes, definite hops note in there. Lots of mellow toasted maltiness, some hazelnut flavors in there, too. Brown ale can be a really under-utilized style of beer. Hats off to Kona for stepping up and doing something a little different. Flavors do seem to fade rather quickly, leaving a watery kind of finish with a nutty/metal lingering. Feel is pretty so-so, would like to see a bit more to this beer than what it has. A more robust body would make this beer really stand out.

04-17-2011 20:19:40 | More by SamN
colts9016

Idaho

Poured into a pint glass at 42 degrees.

Appearance: A one finger head that is white foamy and creamy with okay retention. The color of the beer is dark reddish head and garnet hues. The clarity of the beer is almost opaque with some carbonation bubbles.

Nose: A dark roasted malt that has caramel, toast, and bread. The other aromas are floral, coconut, a nuttiness, and fruity esters.

Taste: A very rich malty flavor that has caramel, toast, bread a dark roast close to burnt. The other flavors are floral, fruity esters, toasted coconut, a nuttiness, and a hint of phenols.

The mouth feel is carbonated, coating, and slightly creamy.

Overall: The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium. I really like the flavors in this beer especially the coconut hint. Good beer overall.

04-17-2011 01:27:51 | More by colts9016
djeucalyptus

Oregon

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

pours a decent caramely brown hue with a frothy finger of tan head that leaves just a bit too quickly.

aroma is definitely toasty... burnt caramel, hints of bready malt notes, and a smidgen of toasted coconut flake. hops are forgotten.

taste is sweet, caramel malt up front, fading to a toasty, coconuty, sweet and earthy middle. the finish is coconut - but more coconut water than the candied, sugary, coconut I usually expect. hint of salt with green coconut overtones. Interesting. The coconut is definitely apparent and, honestly, pretty damn enjoyable.

mouth is carbonated decently with a relatively tempered body. not too thick, nor too light... nothing memorable, yet it remains drinkable. kind of like water.

all in all, I'm kind of surprised by this one. I'm a big coconut fan, and I like the taste of coconut juice/water a lot, which this brew reminds me of. The toasted notes are significant in that it doesn't just taste like mediocre coconut flavoring. That being said, the underlying brown ale is relatively flacid and lackluster. Although when on sale for $6 a six pack, I could see myself picking this one up again.

04-14-2011 19:13:25 | More by djeucalyptus
srandycarter

A - Cola brown, nice small whitish brown head. Some persistent cling.

S - Roasty. I want to attribute the malt, but I think it is the coconut...

T - Definitely pronounced coconut. Works well with the brown to give a toasty nut dimension to the flavor.

M - Light to medium body, good carb and fair balance.

D - Yum. Different, but I could session it!

04-13-2011 22:20:09 | More by srandycarter
diesburg

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Very interesting beer. Honestly I still like to drink out of the bottle, so I did, not sure what it looks like. The smell is surprisingly oak-y or woody, but sweet and malty.

First taste is light and nondescript but as it works its way back in your mouth you get sweet coconut flavors mixed with sweet malt. The coconut overwhelms a bit, but as it mixes with the slight nutty flavor of a brown, it mixes to remind me very much of a really light port. I was surprised how much the mix of malt, coconut, and nuttiness ends with the oak barrel flavor of a port or whiskey without all the alcohol harshness. Almost no hops present in the flavor. Something to counteract the syrupy sweetness might be welcome.

Overall surprising and extremely unique. definitely worth trying, maybe only worth trying again if you really like a sweet, nutty beer.

04-09-2011 05:31:14 | More by diesburg
Azurescens

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

12oz bottle with bottle date 3/18/11, poured into Maudite stemmed glass, reviewed on 4/8/11

A: Pours a deep, dark brown with a thin head that quickly dissipates into a thin film on top of the beer.

S: Big coconut aroma, some nuttiness, possibly almonds as well. The strength of the coconut smell overpowers any malt or hop aromas.

T: Coconut and almond dominate the taste of this one, a touch of toasty malt, some hop bitterness and a bit of chocolate combine wonderfully. You can taste the coconut as soon as this hits your lips but really lingers in your mouth for quite a while after swallowing.

M: Medium-thin bodied with good carbonation, smooth with a nice hop bite to even things out.

O: I think Kona really achieved what they were going for with this one, the coconut flavor and aroma are both quite bold but don't completely overpower the beer, tasty stuff.

04-09-2011 05:26:56 | More by Azurescens
emmasdad

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

picked this one up for my wife a month or so ago at merchant of vino in Tamarac Square in Denver, got tired of waiting for her to drink it, so I opened it up tonight. Poured a medium to dark brown with a nice little white head. Aromas of toasted coconut, nuts and milk chocolate (almost like an alomond joy at times). Medium bodied, with more almond joy-like flavors, milk chocolate and shredded coconut. Surprisingly pretty good.

04-09-2011 03:42:39 | More by emmasdad
bunnyhustle

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%

An interesting beer, especially when compared to the Maui Brewing Companys coconut porter. First with appearance nothing too out of the ordinary here. Brown, little darker in color, creamy but thinner head, not the greatest retention but thats no deal breaker to me. Has a very strong coconut and vanilla cream smell to it. I know this sounds weird but the smell is almost like a flavored coffee creamer. I have mixed thoughts on the taste. I preferred it better cooler than warm. When it was cooler it had more of a malty brown ale taste with some subtle coconut. The warmer it got it quickly became a very sweet, coconut creamy mess I thought. It was a little too much warmer. Mouthfeel I found to be a little watery, even for a brown. Overall not a great beer but not terrible. Glad I tried it but dont know if I'd necessarily seek this out again.

04-03-2011 01:44:47 | More by bunnyhustle
AleEvangelist

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance: The beer appears as any other brown. More head would make for a prettier pour, and if they could get it to stick around longer, it would certainly improve the beers aesthetics. No lacing is evident, either.

Smell: The aroma is elusive. If you really get your nose in there and give a good sniff, you might be able to get a hint of the rich toasted coconut promised by the bottle, but it's faint. No malt, no hops, and little in the nose at all.

Taste: I had high expectations for this beer. Having cut my coconut beer teeth on Maui's Coconut Porter, this beer had some big shoes to fill. At first, I was preparing myself for disappointment, as the "brown-ness" of this beer leaves something to be desired. I expected more of a malty kick. However, that toasted coconut really comes through on the finish and lingers in your mouth for what seems like ages. Where I would normally expect some trace hops to cut the sweetness of the brown on the finish, the toasted coconut takes that place. And I keep saying toasted, because that's what they say they brewed with. It tastes like it. It's not the sweetness of the raw coconut...it's the caramelized sugars and slight roastiness of toasted coconut, and it's definitely a pleasant difference!

Mouthfeel: Given the richness of coconut, I had high hopes for the mouthfeel, but was disappointed. It's thin, not quite watery, but not what you'd expect from a 5.5% abv brown. Maybe the toasted coconut imparts an astringency they can't shake. Whatever it is, it's definitely not a rich, brown ale. More the mouthfeel of a pale.

Overall: I didn't know what to expect from this beer, but enjoyed the novelty. It's not a "big" beer like Maui's coconut porter, but I don't think it's really trying to be. It's a decent enough session beer, and if you like toasted coconut, I'm willing to bet you crack another one open as that coconut finish lingers well after your last sip. But it's not stellar.

04-01-2011 04:42:23 | More by AleEvangelist
ThreeWiseMen

2.8/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance: Thin half finger head. Lacing present from the pour. Color ranges from amberish brown to dark brown. Points lost due to a lack of head retention and other "head" related issues.

Smell: I get faint nutty hops. It's thin, I'd prefer it much much stronger on the nose. It smells faintly of coffee (reminiscent of pipeline porter) they probably are using the same hops.

Taste: It taste like potpourri... drinking this beer took me back to a time when I was seven at my grandmother's aunts house. I'm wearing a tight fitting suit of some sort and the entire house has bowls of potpourri.... I'm not a big fan of this beer but I'll keep drinking it to see if I can get anything else. There is coconut in there, it's right at the beginning and at the end. This beer grows on you but... it's still just decent. The best part of this beer might be the slight coconut taste. It reminds me slightly of a beer called coconut porter.

Mouthfeel: Not the nuttiest beer. Its thin and slimy. Meh.

Overall: All together, try it, you might like it. But if you want a brown ale, look elsewhere.

03-31-2011 06:53:24 | More by ThreeWiseMen
TIAAN

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured a smallish clean white head, that in not too long receded to the sides of my glass. The nose is of coconut and caramel malt. Pleasant.

Surprisingly crispy taste for a brown ale. Coconut is apparent, along with malty goodness. A very refreshing beer. Nothing spectacular. Pleasant.

03-30-2011 19:29:22 | More by TIAAN
CharcuterIAN

3.1/5  rDev -14.4%

to start...Down by the river by neil young just started on my deck. this makes me very happy! now to the beer.
poured into my a globe. Garnet color, no head, no lacing. smell is roasty malt, light coconut, milky. taste is same. mouth feel is quick small bubbles, and then nothing but toasted coconut...
not my cup of tea, but not terrible.

03-30-2011 07:43:22 | More by CharcuterIAN
mrasskicktastic

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

A - A slightly reddish tint to the overall brown color. A small head, only the slightest bit of lacing lingers on the glass.

S - Smells like shea butter and pina colada. It is hard to sniff out the mild malt under this.

T - Toast, biscuits, shea butter and coconut. Aftertaste is very mild grassy hops bitterness and bit of lingering malt.

M - Buttery, thick, smooth, waxy, moderately refreshing.

D - Not bad. The flavor is exotic, but it feels less substantive than I would want. I'd have again if offered, but I don't think I'd buy it.

03-29-2011 07:04:31 | More by mrasskicktastic
BrewerB

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%

One of the best month's of my life was spent in Hawaii with a girlfriend who was then living their. Amidst our island hopping, we stopped upon Kona Brewing Company beers which provided a significant amount of liquid refreshment during our trip.

Into my small, Firestone Walker pint nonic glass, this brew yields a clear copper color, forming a large off-white head that squats down to around 1 finger high but holds up well during the session. Toasted coconut aroma is first faint then stronger as the beer warms. Some toasted malt is there, too but having trouble locating hops. Toasted breads, coconut control most of the flavor profile and the beer finishes dry with just a hint of astringency. Hops seems to be whispering which isn't typical of an American Brown Ale. Medium body, moderate high carbonation level.

Thankfully, I bought this beer as a single. Certainly glad to have tried it but it lacks the complexity I'd like to see from the style. coconut adds a decent touch. Something makes me think it'd taste a hell of a lot better were I relaxing on a beach in Maui...

03-28-2011 21:38:00 | More by BrewerB
henrysunset

3.23/5  rDev -10.8%

12oz bottle from a 6-pack. Bought it since Kona's Pipeline porter is so good and it is out of season.

Filtered, dark with a tall head poured vigorously in a goblet. medium sized bubbles.

smell is dark and roasty,to match a good brown or even a dry porter. I feel like I can smell a little coconut, but only since I am looking for it.

Taste is a little odd, it dries up on the tongue quickly to a flat earthy flavor, after that you have a pleasant roast. Initial taste of each sip has a pronounced sweet coconutiness, but the transition from that flavor to the darker flavors isn't smooth. The main flavor is a little "dirty" not clean, and it just isn't quite right.

mouthfeel is a little too dry actually, and I like don't like sweet beers. Drinkability is pretty high, but overall preference for this beer is low. I won't be buying this again, but I still look forward to Pipeline Season again!

03-25-2011 01:48:41 | More by henrysunset
SolomonGrundy

3.43/5  rDev -5.2%

The basics: 5.5% ABV and super cheap for a sixer...

Actually it pours exactly what I would call a Koko Brown in color...Very clear...Very light carbonation...Thin ring of foam and no real lacing. A bit "mehh" at first glance...

The aroma is super cool. It's kind of like an Almond Joy candy bar, but a subtle version of it. There's a slight hop component, but it's faint. I also get a touch of cinnamon. Pretty cool but not very complex.

Flavor is very similar to the aroma - kind of like drinking an Almond Joy...The initial burst of flavor seems sweet, but it's not. I also get a macadamia nut type flavor in the late middle and finish...Finish has an off bitterness which I can only attribute to the hops that MIGHT be present, but I can't be sure. The main fighter in this match is coconut and chocolate, as the name implies. It delivers exactly what it says it will, but it's otherwise uneventful.

What I like most: The interesting Almond Joy notes in the flavor and nose.

What I like least: The rather pedestrian beer that backs it all up.

Verdict: Worth the price, and that's to say it's cheap.

03-24-2011 03:40:35 | More by SolomonGrundy
azdback

Arizona

3.8/5  rDev +5%

Poured into my custom etched "dead man's hand" pint glass. Dark brown color. Filtered look with lots of carbonation bubbles. Head is just a finger or so, tan and creamy. The lace is good and stickin' around like the donk at your 3,6 game.

The smell is of light malts and a sweet toasty flavor from the coconut. Not complex at all those are the only things I am able to get from the nose.

Wow where did that come from? The taste of this beer is fantastic. Not the richest, maltiest beer your ever gonna drink, but it is just a brown. It's the taste of the coconut. One of the best sweet tastes I have ever had in a beer. I might be tasting a bit of coffee too.

Mouth is well carbonated, but thin in the middle and watery on the finish. I am giving this an average score because, well, it's average for the style.

Overall I really was surprised by this one. I originally bought this six pack to have one and send the rest out as extras. I might end up sending one (maybe two) out the rest is for me and my tasting friend Joss.

03-21-2011 04:12:01 | More by azdback
woemad

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%

Pint consumed on-tap at the 2-7 Public House on Spokane's south hill for $2.

Pint was dark brown in color, and took on a rubyish hue when held up to any sort of light. Not much head to speak of, and very little lace.

Brown sugar and coffee hit the nose. Seems like a sweeter version of the style.

Rather sweet tasting, but coffeeish at the same time, in the sense that the coffee in question is like coffee ice cream.

Medium bodied, with a slightly coating mouthfeel.

One of the sweeter brown ales I've had, but it's not a massive bash-you-over-the-head sweetness, which makes it more drinkable than some. Not a standard brown ale, but it will do, especially when being sold for $2 per pint.

03-21-2011 03:44:24 | More by woemad
yemenmocha

Arizona

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a very translucent brown with thin head. Nose is light with some brown sugary baked goods. Palate offers the expected toasted coconut, thin watery body, and some brown sugar notes too. Easily drinkable with the watery aspect. Could use more body for sure. Toasted coconut flavors are nice though.

03-20-2011 03:14:08 | More by yemenmocha
Retsinis

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Picked this up as a single bottle at Total wines. I've been looking forward to try this since I heard they were bottling it and shipping it to the west coast.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Bruery Tulip glass.

The beer pours a copper amber with a red hue. Much less carbonation then I expected, about a quarter inch, and that faded to just a ring on top, some very light lacing.

The smell is toasted cocount, with a bit of caramelt malt backbone.

Flavor is toasted coconut upfront, some bread, caramel, but it fades in the middle. Finish is crisp, with a very light tinge of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light, and a little thin, especially on the back end. It fades on the swallow.

Overall, a new twist on a brown ale for me, and very Hawaii. I did like it, and would not turn down another.

03-17-2011 18:19:16 | More by Retsinis
FosterJM

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%

319th review on BA
bottle to pint
12 oz bottle, date code 2/11

App- Reddish tinted brown in the glass with a minimally there 1/2 finger head. Minimal lacing.

Smell- I'm diggin on this. Huge chocolate & coconut. Its mounds in a glass. I like mounds so I am happy.

Taste- More malty on the taste but was a pleasant beer. It was sweet and retained the coconut flavor.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carb level. Malty finish with again that slight coconut.

Drink- I liked it. Was different but not over done, had good character and was pretty balanced. Probably won't have again unless I am in Kona.

03-17-2011 05:00:09 | More by FosterJM
Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.