Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
Reviews: 303 | Hads: 1,277
4.01/5  rDev +10.5%

(best by Jan 20 2014 - it was about a month past that at time of consumption, yet had been chilled for months prior)

A: perfectly clear, tawny in color.... pearl-white sudsy foam, open-structured, medium bubbles, holds a cap.... love the bottle label design - reminds me a bit of some of Uinta's designs

S: beers like this (those with fancy, exotic or nontraditional ingredients) really aren't my thing, but this beer smells (relatively) damn fantastic.... a display of toasted aromas: coconut, hazelnut, amber malt(?)... the coconut doesn't smell artificial or like suntan oil, its inviting scent does fade noticeably after a few sips while, curiously, becoming more apparent in the taste...

T: the taste is good - doesn't quite live up to the promise of its scent.... bold toasted nut and grain flavors, kissed by coconut oil.... fair amount of hop bitterness and a mild, late hint of milk chocolate.... thankfully not sweet - they could've easily erred in that direction.... sure does have a nutty brown ale foundation, med-dark grains.... long-lasting toasty dry and bitter

M: not oily at all, only marginally smooth... probably could have a bit more body... actually, this is pretty darn dry with a bit of a bite.... it seems to approach medium-bodied, however, the dryness and carbonation (I do sense a club-soda like carbonic acid feel and taste) taper that off enough

O: a well-made, quaffable brew.... depth in flavor and body is unfortunately held back.... the one time I've had this on tap the flavors were more bold and the feel smooth and more fulfilling, so I suppose the carbonation in this particular bottle hurt it...

3.41/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled December 5th. Poured into a shaker pint. I enjoyed Big Wave a decent bit and thought I'd try another beer from Kona. $2 single.

Appearance: A completely filtered mahogany/ruby-black kind of color. Not much head on it, but a nice wall of lacing through most of the drink. Unfortunately, this is the best part about this brew.

Smell: Well, it smells like a coconut brown, but something about it seems slightly off? Artificial almost? It smells waxy or something along those lines. I've noticed some people say it smells nutty, and maybe it does, but it's still distinctively coconut at the same time. Pretty nice. Not bad. Intriguing. Just something a bit "off" about it.

Taste/feel: First thing I notice is the feel... super watery with a fairly mild carbonation. Very, very thin. The flavor is like the aroma with quite a lot of coconut. People say it's more in the background, but I pick up plenty of it. Slight roast from the malt, but it doesn't give off a particular sort of flavor. No coffee or chocolate, it just tastes like a roasted malt -- faintly. Not bitter nor sweet. Easy drinking to be sure.

Overall, Koko Brown is an average-at-best brown ale. If you like coconut, this would be a nice choice... especially on a very hot day, as it isn't at all heavy, and it would be easy to have a few. I'm not sure I'd buy it again, but I certainly wouldn't say no to a bottle or a pint. 3.5/5 overall just because I could see this being a solid choice on a hot summer day.

3.38/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: medium brown, virtually no head, a few white bubbles along the glass

S: bready malts, nuty, coconut

T: general nuty taste, mild toasted coconut, malty

M: medium, a little dry and bitter

Overall a good beer but nothing special. Wish the coconut stood out a little more and had more sweetness, seems more of a general roasted nut taste to me.

3.77/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had this a three different times and each one was different, don't know if that speaks to my taste at the time or just the brew.
Dark tea in color.
Not a lot going on with the nose, slight hops, roasted malts, but nothing strong.
Nice khaki colored head, when swirled leaves an oil like cohesion to the side of the glass that slowly lets go.Good.
Taste- at its best, the toasted coconut shines through, sometimes dryer than I expected and never in a Mounds bar sweet kind of way. If you like coconut, this is a great beer for you, dark enough so that the coconut doesn't seem out of place, just right to let the toasted coconut star, but as part of the team.
A rare specialty beer that works. Brown drinkers, coconut fans, and someone looking for a dark that doesn't have the same old profile will find something to enjoy here.

3.89/5  rDev +7.2%

I don't get the low reviews on this one, I see it different

A. Dark amber, one finger kakhi color head

S. Bitter hop, coffee, sweet

T. Coconut, coffee, sweet brown sugar

M. Medium body, nice carbonation, clean finish, roasted aftertaste

O. Great beer, I'm a fan

3.51/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear chestnut color. The head is a little over a finger high, and off-white in shade. Its texture is somewhat soapy, ergo it doesn't really leave a huge amount of lacing on the glass. Retention is pretty good.

S: It brings a decent amount of toasted coconut at first. After a while, though, the nose becomes somewhat chocolaty, and even fruity at times. And after even more time, the coconut really comes out. I'll give this nose credit - it's interested me, and brown ales don't interest me.

T: Coconut notes are more subtle here than in the nose, but they're definitely here. Apart from that, it starts with a decent brown sugar and milk chocolate flavors, with something suggesting herbal hops in the finish. The hop levels are perfect here - they help to dry out the sweetness some, yet don't even come close to wrecking the balance. It's one of those rare beers that grows on me the more I drink it.

M: I'm really enjoying the soft dryness of this. Though it's a bit on the thin side, it's not really a chugger - some residual sugar does linger on the finish. Frankly, I kind of don't want to chug this.

O: This is a pleasant surprise. So many 'Murican brown ales go the 'balanced' route, yet aren't really that delicate or sophisticated to compensate for its less exciting flavor profile. But this is. Brown ale is a hit-or-miss style with me - this isn't an emphatic hit, but damnit it's a hit nonetheless.

3.27/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 12oz bottle into 16oz mug.

Appearance: Dark brown color with amber hues and a substantial, fizzy off-white head that dissipates somewhat quickly and leaves behind spotty lace.

Smell: Without going into each flavor in-depth, the smell of this reminds me of Almond Joy.

Taste: Begins with a toasty flavor which rounds out to sweet malt and coconut. Finish maintains the coconut flavor alongside nuttiness and a touch of chocolate. The Almond Joy of beers!

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium body with subtle carbonation. Finish dries out.

Overall: An interesting beer, to say the least. Not too bad, but also far from great or inspiring. Something is missing here.

3.91/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I really, really want to like these Kona Beers, but something just keeps holding me back. Of all the Kona's I have had, this one is by far the best. The Koko Brown has a rich brown color with a frothy head that has staying power. The scent and taste is definitely strong in the roasted area and distant with regards to coconut - almost a good blend. The mouthfeel is bold and thick, complementing the full ale flavor. However, overall, I had to be honest with myself and grade them almost outstanding - close, but just no cigar.

3.74/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a stubby 12 ounce bottle into an oversized pilsener glass. A fairly aggressive pour produces about a 3/4 inch creamy, off-white head which proves long lasting. Plenty of sticky lace is left on the sides, with a continuous coating of froth on top. The beer is a deep ruddy brown. A rich looking and inviting beer.

I don't get a ton of coconut flavor in either the aroma or the flavor. I've had this before- on the prior tasting, the coconut was quite noticeable. They may have toned this down a notch. Anyway, the beer does have some coconut aroma, along with sweet, roasted malt, chocolate, caramel and chocolate flavors, with a bit of bittersweet nuttiness on the palate. All of the flavors, which increasingly remind me of a Mounds candy bar, become a bit more noticeable as the beer warms.

This is pretty much what I like in a brown ale- relatively sweet, but with some nutty bitterness to balance, with just a little complexity, but overall rather simple. I seldom see this where I live, although the other flavors of Kona are generally available. I picked this up in a Three Bears Alaska store for about $7.50 a sixer (cheap).

Amber color, no head. Has a sweet vanilla and coconut aroma and flavor. Body is a bit on the sickly sweet side, but the carbonation cuts that away in the finish. Has a creamy, medium-body feel. I’m glad I tried it, but I don’t think I’d go out of my way to get another.

4.75/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers. Beautiful mahogany color, nice aroma, velvety mouth feel and a finish that leaves me ready for another one. The coconut flavors really come out after warming up a bit. Overall, a really great balance between hops and malts and a unique and tasty combination of flavors.

3.06/5  rDev -15.7%

Bottle poured in a pint glass. Smell is pleasant enough a little malty sweetness and some toasted notes, no discernable coconut however. Mouthfeel comes up short very thin feeling, makes me go back for another sip but has me looking for something more. Taste is nice, sweet malt is back again along with the toast, after really trying I get the coconut but it doesnt stand out at all. A decent brown ale but nothing special and if I didnt say coconut I probably would never have known.

3.35/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Deep mahogany brown in color. A quarter inch of of white foam rests on top. Brussels lacing. The aroma is of coconut and caramelized malt. There's definitely a sweetness that dominates. The mouth is a bit carbonated and warm. There's bit of a cloying aspect between the caramelized malt and the intense sweetness from the coconut. The taste is an intense dark maltiness that is quickly overwhelmed by the sweet coconut.

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Brown. 1 1/2 head that fades and some lacing is evident.

S: coconut and cocoa

T: Was unsure if the coconut would come through on this but it really does. It dominates the flavor with some light chocolate in the background. A little one dimensional.

M: Fairly light bodied with a sweet finish

O: Tough to rate. As a brown ale, its not too good. But Kona went for a gimmicky beer and succeeded. If you like coconut, get it. If you want a well crafted complex brown ale, avoid it.

Points for nice coconut flavor.

3.14/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I really wanted to like this beer. The look was just the way I like: dark with a amber hue. The aroma wonderful dark, rich, with a hint of coconut. The beer poured well with a full 1" head in the craft pub glass I used. While I let it breath, I drank the last sip from the bottle. It was wonderful. Dark and malty with a believable hint of dark chocolate and the whiff of toasted coconut.

A few moments latter I sniffed the glass and swiftly took my first full sip. Wham. I was hit by the coconut. The more I drank the more the coconut overpowered. It was so good out of the bottle, I really wanted to like the glass. I couldn't finish. Maybe I'll give it another try but keep it in the bottle. Possibly I'm overwhelmed by the coconut aroma and I liked the first sip out of the bottle because my nose wasn't in the glass.

3.96/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle -> Craft Beer Glass

A: Rich dark brown with a nice red hue, 3/4" creamy tan head that hangs for a while, thick web lacing.
S: Bittersweet cocoa powder, roasted coffee, vanilla.
T: There's the coconut..., dark chocolate, toasty malts, creamed coffee, nice subtle bitter finish.
M: Medium-bodied, higher CO2 which adds to the creaminess, nice rich coating effect.
O: Tasty brew. I love coconut in brews - it adds a smoothness and cuts the bitterness in dark ales and leaves you with a creaminess & great drinkability. Not overdone, but well done.

4.11/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Overall, a pleasantly balanced beer. I was afraid that the coconut flavor would either be non-existent or over powering. It was neither. You get a pleasant hint of coconut that blends nicely with the overall nuttiness of the beer. It's especially nice to drink during the winter, dreaming of warmer, tropical days.

4.98/5  rDev +37.2%

I Have tried EVERY American brown ale and specialty brown ales available in my area and even the Rouge hazelnut or Dogfish heads brown ale does not touch this one IN MY OPINION! It just smells amazing and tastes so good in summer or winter. I buy cases of it when it comes out and never want to drink the last ones. :) would love to try on tap.

3.71/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a medium mahogany brown with a thin light tan head that dissipates to patchy foam and a ring around the glass. Aroma of coconut, caramel malt, slightly nutty. Flavor is biscuit malt, sweet coconut, nuts with a light grassy hop finish. Light to medium bodied. A light bodied brown ale with a well balanced, but assertive coconut flavor which has a slightly artificial taste. A pleasant, fun to drink ale that definitely leaves a tropical feeling.

3.57/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am not the biggest fan of brown's but the allure of coconut on a cold snowy night was too much so I grabbed a single and gave it a shot. Sleek deep chestnut appearance with about half inch of head which receded relatively quickly with minimal, spotty lacing. Aroma was all of the coconut I was looking for. Mouthfeel was a little thin but smooth with the moderate carbonation and the taste was a pleasant blend of brown ale nuttiness, coconut sweetness and a lightly bitter finish. Overall I would say its a pretty tasty beer. Was a great way to fill a craving but not necessarily something I would run out and buy otherwise.

I cant believe i havent rated this beer yet. The best brown ale I have ever tried and followed closely by bells best brown ale. The 2 are so similar other than the koko brown has coconut flavor. take everything i said in my review of best brown and add the coconut and its so undiscribable

Presentation: Very eye-catching label with awesome graphics, color scheme, and font that gives a real tropical island feel. Label gives a small description of the beer, web info, a bit of brewery info, states “Aloha Series”, and bottled on date 3/12/2013. Neck label gives a description of the beer, backstory on the brewery, and states “ Aloha Series”.

Appearance: Allowed to warm for 10min before aggressively poured from its 12oz brown bottle into a 16oz nonic pint led to a 3 finger light tan head of a light airy density that was the very rocky and resting atop a slightly chill hazed chestnut brown beer. Head retention was 3min 16sec before fading to a thick rocky rink and coating with excellent lacing.

Smell/Aroma: Smells of nutty maltiness with hints of milk chocolate sweetness and a toasty coconut aroma with hints of caramel.

Flavor/Taste: Taste is of roast nutty malts along with a toasted coconut flavor on the front-end. Milk chocolate, caramel, and toasty coconut dominate midpoint before turning to a toasted coconut finish and roasty aftertaste. The coconut comes out as this warms.

MouthFeel/Drinkability: Medium bodied with a slightly creamy mouthfeel and a low carbonation. Very drinkable and tasty.

Overall/Comments: A very good brown ale that is very drinkable with a tasty flavor profile that is worth a try. I would def drink again but wouldn't seek out and buy this. Classified as an American Brown Ale @ 5.5%. Consumed 9/8/2013.

3.84/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Pours a reddish orange amber color 1 finger of white head, no lacing.
S - Big coconut in the aroma, some nice roasty malt, a little vanilla, some nice light hop traits too, a little floral.
T - The coconut against the nutty, roasted flavors of the malt really works here, in the end you get a light bitterness, some mild hop undertones.
M - Kinda sweet but still refreshing, medium body.
O - Unexpectedly good, the coconut is the most pronounced of any coconut infused beer I've had, and it works well in a brown ale. Will have again.

3.94/5  rDev +8.5%

This pours a medium brown color with a slight beige head. There isn’t much to the aroma but a slight scent of coconut. The flavor is dark, complex, and full of coconut. This is pretty unique and the best part is it tastes good too. A well made brew from that far south-west state!

3.62/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bright chestnut with pitted tan froth with speckles.
Definite toasted coconut nose with some waxy fat, floral nectar and brown toast.
Some toasty malts pushed out of the way by coconut milk that grows into a round, creamy mouthful with no hops noticeable. Maybe some almonds, red currants, and vanilla in there, but you're working hard to find them.
The same notes just fade to black with a tingling linger.
Smooth, fizzy, light to medium.

Wow, am I torn on this one. Not much of a beer, but man, does it taste like all the best parts of coconut - lush and tropical. If all they did was add toasted coconut to the secondary, then I need to double down for my next coconut porter. Sessionable, one-dimensional, gimmicky and darn tasty.

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.