Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

(Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

BurnMeInMyBar, Mar 10, 2013

nzerbe, Mar 10, 2013
3.18/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

If I ever go back to Hawaii this will be the beer I drink.

This is not my personal taste preference in a beer, however it does capture the Hawaiian feel very well. This is definitely the kind of beer you have try for yourself to see what you think, I know my taste but not yours, and I can see why this one would be very good to some people.

Dark like a porter, coconut, brown sugar, toasted malt.

FlatRabbitRed, Mar 10, 2013
4.99/5  rDev +37.5%

Wow, I wasn't expecting this. Every time I sample a brown ale I am disapointed. They tend to look like they will have good flavor but are generally bland and mostly flavorless. However I found this wonderfully expressive brew on tap while attending the EIWA Wrestling Championships in a small local tavern in Piscataway, NJ. I almost didn't try it, but it looked like the only beer on tap that looked at all palatable.

Boy was I pleasantly surprised. The color looked like any other Brown Ale. I didn't take the time to spend time with the smell as I was with some people I hadn't seen in a long time and I did not have a lot of extra time and like I said I wasn't expecting it to be anything special. I took a sip not expecting much but I was wonderfully surprised! The taste was rich, sweetish and complex.

I am a malt man as my name implies not caring for most bitter hoppy brews. Maybe it was the surprise of not expecting anything really good as brown ales although far better than lagers, generally are non descript to me. But this brew not only got my attention, but ignited my taste buds to wanting more.

Generally I only have one brew at a sitting because what I like generally has a high alcohol content, but this is only 5.5%, so I FORCED myself to have a second one. It did not disapoint.

Since McEwan's Scotch Ale is not available in the US anymore I have been slowly sipping the case of Founders Backwoods Bastard Ale I was lucky to get when it was released in November. Now when that is gone I have found another beer to drink. Luckily upon doing a little research, there is a distributor only about 1.5 miles from my house that carries it.

KOKO Brown Ale is a real treat. Give it a try. It is not for those who drink so much commercial beer that their taste buds have rotted away or those who just want to get a buzz. It is for those who appreciate real flavor.

Who would have thought a coconut beer would be sooo good? And I just stumbled onto it at a little corner tavern. Go figure.

Stay thirsty my friends!

sweetmaltman, Mar 10, 2013

hsus0225, Mar 10, 2013

st9647v3, Mar 10, 2013

dpage27, Mar 10, 2013

generallee, Mar 10, 2013
3.54/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured out a clear, mahogany color with a one-finger, khaki colored head of foam. It left sticky rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of toasty coconut. Lots of coconut aroma.

T - The toasted coconut is less strong in the taste. Nice toffee and caramel flavors. Slightly bitter.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is a unique brew. I'm not a huge fan of coconut but it works.

zeff80, Mar 09, 2013

spycow, Mar 09, 2013
3.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked this up as part of a build-your-own six pack for $9.99 at the Binny's store in Bloomingdale, IL. 12oz brown bottle with a bottled on date of 1/20/13 stamped on the bottom of the front label, making this bottle about 50 days old.

The beer poured a clear brown color with a 1-finger tan head that dissipated in under 30 seconds and left only small amounts of spotty lacing.

You certainly can smell the coconut along with small amounts of chocolate and malt.

While coconut is the main flavor here, it isn't overpowering. It blends well with a malty caramel sweetness and small amount of chocolate. Not exactly a melted candy bar, but close. There's also a mild hop bitterness and a touch of alcohol to balance out the sweetness.

Light bodied with moderate carbonation.

I never had a beer with coconut in it before, but then again before I started drinking craft beers, I never would have thought adding chocolate to a beer was a good idea either. I enjoyed this one, probably because they didn't over do it. Gonna try another one next time I have coconut shrimp and see how it pairs with that.

matjack85, Mar 09, 2013

RoryOMoore, Mar 09, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -24.2%

Duvel, Mar 08, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +24%

currysmegs, Mar 08, 2013

mmmmbeer, Mar 07, 2013
3.44/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served in the bar at the Polynesian resort in WDW. Pours dark chocolate brown in glass. Little head retention and minimal lacing.

Lots of toasted malt and coconut in aroma.

Taste is toasted malt, nuts and coconut. Coconut flavor is present throughout. Mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied.

Overall this was good. Enjoyed the coconut very much.

TrappistJohnMD, Mar 07, 2013

gdornfeld, Mar 06, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

Cramerican, Mar 05, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

optimator705, Mar 05, 2013
Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.