Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

(Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
4.99/5  rDev +37.5%

Wow, I wasn't expecting this. Every time I sample a brown ale I am disapointed. They tend to look like they will have good flavor but are generally bland and mostly flavorless. However I found this wonderfully expressive brew on tap while attending the EIWA Wrestling Championships in a small local tavern in Piscataway, NJ. I almost didn't try it, but it looked like the only beer on tap that looked at all palatable.

Boy was I pleasantly surprised. The color looked like any other Brown Ale. I didn't take the time to spend time with the smell as I was with some people I hadn't seen in a long time and I did not have a lot of extra time and like I said I wasn't expecting it to be anything special. I took a sip not expecting much but I was wonderfully surprised! The taste was rich, sweetish and complex.

I am a malt man as my name implies not caring for most bitter hoppy brews. Maybe it was the surprise of not expecting anything really good as brown ales although far better than lagers, generally are non descript to me. But this brew not only got my attention, but ignited my taste buds to wanting more.

Generally I only have one brew at a sitting because what I like generally has a high alcohol content, but this is only 5.5%, so I FORCED myself to have a second one. It did not disapoint.

Since McEwan's Scotch Ale is not available in the US anymore I have been slowly sipping the case of Founders Backwoods Bastard Ale I was lucky to get when it was released in November. Now when that is gone I have found another beer to drink. Luckily upon doing a little research, there is a distributor only about 1.5 miles from my house that carries it.

KOKO Brown Ale is a real treat. Give it a try. It is not for those who drink so much commercial beer that their taste buds have rotted away or those who just want to get a buzz. It is for those who appreciate real flavor.

Who would have thought a coconut beer would be sooo good? And I just stumbled onto it at a little corner tavern. Go figure.

Stay thirsty my friends!

4.98/5  rDev +37.2%

I Have tried EVERY American brown ale and specialty brown ales available in my area and even the Rouge hazelnut or Dogfish heads brown ale does not touch this one IN MY OPINION! It just smells amazing and tastes so good in summer or winter. I buy cases of it when it comes out and never want to drink the last ones. :) would love to try on tap.

4.91/5  rDev +35.3%

This beer, on tap, is my favorite beer to drink by far, as far as drink ability goes. Malty, smooth, easy as hell to drink. And the coconut is powerful enough to be noticed, but not overpowering. Touch of bitterness at the end of the drink. Just a damn good beer. In the bottle it's coconut is not as noticeable, but still damn good.
Just drink it

4.83/5  rDev +33.1%

Great beer. Nice sweet but not overbearing taste. Great to accompany food.

Would buy this again and would advice others to do so. Not too strong either, so can be enjoyed without worrying about the strength.

I actually think the caramel tastes are stronger than the coconut.... That said there is a nice mellow coconut after taste.

4.78/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The brewary told me you maintain temp ~30 deg F. 10 # CO2.
This beer can be bought in keg form which is distributed by Anheuser-Busch, can only be bought in bottle form seasonal. I love the roasted coconut taste and i love coconut. The toasted mahogany flavor comes out. Not the avg Brown Ale.

4.75/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers. Beautiful mahogany color, nice aroma, velvety mouth feel and a finish that leaves me ready for another one. The coconut flavors really come out after warming up a bit. Overall, a really great balance between hops and malts and a unique and tasty combination of flavors.

4.66/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If you like Brown beer and are a fan of Coconut, this is a fantastic brew...just tried it for the first time. Reasonable price $5 on tap. The coconut aroma lets your taste buds know what's coming. Good bite and flavor, smooth on the palate. Best brown I've tried yet.

4.6/5  rDev +26.7%

A - Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Half finger of light tan head. Nut brown amber coloring. Clear.

S - Dark malts, coconut and chocolate come through in the nose.

T - Starts as an excellent brown ale. Moves into a light coconut flavoring. Clean finish with lingering notes of coconut.

M - Smooth and creamy with light carbonation.

O - This beer would be great without the coconut flavoring, just as a brown ale. With wonderfully abundant coconut notes in the nose and a touch of coconut in the finish, this beer is taken to the next level of craft beers.

4.52/5  rDev +24.5%

4.5/5  rDev +24%

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.