Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
3.07/5  rDev -15.4%

Reviewed from notes.

A. Copper color with a receding foam collar for a head, no significant lacing, but has good clarity for something that has coconut in it...

S. Smells almost exactly like a Mounds candy bar, before it has been bitten into. (The coconut aroma is somewhat hidden behind the chocolate smell) I cannot seem to pick out any hopping aroma of significance.

T. Some brown malt toastiness flavor is present, but the coconut flavor takes over for the second half of each sip. If only the hopping was stronger to do a better job of balancing against the sweetness, I would be really impressed, but as it is, it comes across as too much like a candy bar for my tastes.

M. Somewhat too watery and thin to support the boldness levels of the flavors presented within.

Interesting stuff and I am glad to have gotten a chance to have tried it while on vacation in the west coast. Makes me wish that more than only a few different coconut beers existed, the 'gimmick' seems like a pretty solid idea to me if it were to be done in a drier manner than this beer presented.

3.08/5  rDev -15.2%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #50 (March 2011):

Coconut in beer? Where else would we expect this but from a Hawaiian brewer ... subtle extreme beer as well! Quick-forming head drops down almost as quickly to a thin lacing. Brown and clear. A bit of coconut and dark chocolate, a bit of a candy bar nose here. Body stands a little thin, and coconut flavor is quite prevalent. Maltiness does not really come forward—a quick smattering of toasted and very faint roasted malt. Balancing hoppiness does just that. Coconut flavor fades quick and a drink of toasted graininess is all that’s left. Not much to this Brown Ale other than the element of coconut, which perhaps saves this beer from being entirely pedestrian.

3.08/5  rDev -15.2%

3.1/5  rDev -14.6%

Clear brown colored beer with a small tan colored head.

Smell is patent malt with a decent presence of coffee. Toasted coconut is strong in this. Slight sweetness gives this a bit of an Almond Joy candy bar. Not much more than that smells like an almond joy with coffee in it.

Starts out barely sweet with a strong coconut flavor. Coffee with a very slight chocolate flavor, tastes like an Almond Joy with no sugar used.

Mouthfeel is average.

Drinkability is summed up by asking "how much do you like coconut?" Pretty much a ho-hum very basic brown ale with coconut in it.

This is OK but no repeat sale here, pretty much an average at best beer.

3.1/5  rDev -14.6%

A- Light reddish mahogony body with a small tan head.

A- Sweet malty toffee aroma. Quite prevalent coconut. Light on the nutiness.

T- Initially a nutty brown flavor, but toffee and coconut come through strong. Slight bitterness on the finish, but still very sweet.

M- Light body, but a sweet flavor that sticks around. Moderate carbonation.

D- Honestly I hate coconut, if that is your thing it could be enjoyable. Even then I find it slightly watery. Not my favorite, but not a bad brew.

3.12/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

12 oz bottle. Brewed on Dec. 12, 2012.

Very nice looking beer. Dark reddish brown body with a nice two finger khaki head.

The smell makes me wonder. Sugar.

The first sip is wonderful. My tongue loves the dark malt and the then the pleasant bitterness. Then something strange happens. Did I spill some suntan oil in this beer? Too much coconut. It makes this beer nasty.

This looks and feels like a great brown ale but the overly aggressive coconut ruins it.

A- Red/brown color with tall white head. Retention is average

S- Lots of malts and hazelnut. Can't really pick out the coconut

T- Very nutty. Slight hints of toffee and coconut

M- Medium body, with mild carbonation. I'd like it to have been smoother, but overall, it works.

O- I wish the coconut was stronger in this beer, as it's advertised up in front on the package. However, it's a nice change up to the standard light summer ales I normally drink. Would buy again

3.12/5  rDev -14%

I bought a six-pack of Koko Brown Ale at a grocery store. $6.99. Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a clear mahogany brown beverage, with a smallish off-white head. No resiliency of the head to speak of and the sides of the glass remain remarkable clean.

The smell is faint, with a coffee aroma and the coconut as advertised on the label.

Taste is OK. It has the typical brown ale attributes with the coconut flavor. Tastes a bit like Dr Pepper without as much syrup or sugar

Mouthfeel is thin and highly carbonated, with a dry mildly bitter aftertaste.

It is a drinkable brown ale but the coconut does nothing for the brew. It's drinkable but there are much better brown ales available.

3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

to start...Down by the river by neil young just started on my deck. this makes me very happy! now to the beer.
poured into my a globe. Garnet color, no head, no lacing. smell is roasty malt, light coconut, milky. taste is same. mouth feel is quick small bubbles, and then nothing but toasted coconut...
not my cup of tea, but not terrible.

3.14/5  rDev -13.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear, but dark auburn with ruby hues shining through. There's a nice off-white head that sticks around and leaves really nice lacing. The aromas aren't impressive at all. It's not that it smells bad, it basically just smells like nothing. I'm picking up some caramel malts and subtle hints of maple and hazelnut. The coconut is noticable in the nose, but not really in the flavors. Tastes much better than it smells. More maple in the flavors. I'm picking up some hazelnut and expresso notes in the flavors as well. Mouthfeel is very nice, it's light, but creamy and smooth. This is a very easy drinking beer. Alcohol obviously goes unnoticed.

Kona just recently started distributing to Ohio, so I'm confused why we'd get bottles born in November 2012. I'm assuming this isn't the freshest, but it's still solid. The potential is there to be something unique for the style. I'd like to try this fresher because I'm assuming the coconut would be more prevelant. This could be awesome when fresh.

3.14/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a bright and clear brown color with a very nice off white head, good lacing too. Looks really good in the glass.

Aromas are odd, very roasted notes of fruit, not really getting a whole lot of coconut. Grainy, grassy, vegetal, and kind of floral. Some sniffs I like this, others, not so much.

Taste starts out with roasted sweet coconut, light cocoa, and slightly roasted malt flavors. While this beer tastes good, the added flavors adds almost an artificial taste and not typical sweetness to this beer.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth with pretty good carbonation.

Overall? Ehhh... Not a fan, tastes like a bland brown ale with lots of non beer flavors added. Not a terrible beer, but I wont be buying this one again,

3.14/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

I really wanted to like this beer. The look was just the way I like: dark with a amber hue. The aroma wonderful dark, rich, with a hint of coconut. The beer poured well with a full 1" head in the craft pub glass I used. While I let it breath, I drank the last sip from the bottle. It was wonderful. Dark and malty with a believable hint of dark chocolate and the whiff of toasted coconut.

A few moments latter I sniffed the glass and swiftly took my first full sip. Wham. I was hit by the coconut. The more I drank the more the coconut overpowered. It was so good out of the bottle, I really wanted to like the glass. I couldn't finish. Maybe I'll give it another try but keep it in the bottle. Possibly I'm overwhelmed by the coconut aroma and I liked the first sip out of the bottle because my nose wasn't in the glass.

3.16/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance: The beer appears as any other brown. More head would make for a prettier pour, and if they could get it to stick around longer, it would certainly improve the beers aesthetics. No lacing is evident, either.

Smell: The aroma is elusive. If you really get your nose in there and give a good sniff, you might be able to get a hint of the rich toasted coconut promised by the bottle, but it's faint. No malt, no hops, and little in the nose at all.

Taste: I had high expectations for this beer. Having cut my coconut beer teeth on Maui's Coconut Porter, this beer had some big shoes to fill. At first, I was preparing myself for disappointment, as the "brown-ness" of this beer leaves something to be desired. I expected more of a malty kick. However, that toasted coconut really comes through on the finish and lingers in your mouth for what seems like ages. Where I would normally expect some trace hops to cut the sweetness of the brown on the finish, the toasted coconut takes that place. And I keep saying toasted, because that's what they say they brewed with. It tastes like it. It's not the sweetness of the raw coconut...it's the caramelized sugars and slight roastiness of toasted coconut, and it's definitely a pleasant difference!

Mouthfeel: Given the richness of coconut, I had high hopes for the mouthfeel, but was disappointed. It's thin, not quite watery, but not what you'd expect from a 5.5% abv brown. Maybe the toasted coconut imparts an astringency they can't shake. Whatever it is, it's definitely not a rich, brown ale. More the mouthfeel of a pale.

Overall: I didn't know what to expect from this beer, but enjoyed the novelty. It's not a "big" beer like Maui's coconut porter, but I don't think it's really trying to be. It's a decent enough session beer, and if you like toasted coconut, I'm willing to bet you crack another one open as that coconut finish lingers well after your last sip. But it's not stellar.

3.18/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice caramel brown color, thick head that leaves nice traces on the top as well as the glass. Its a bitey brown and what got me to try this in the first place did not disappoint, that's the toasted coconut. The subtile aftertaste of the coconut is amazing as well as the other flavors that pop up, such as macadamia and almond. I can only dream and assume how well this beer will go with some pineapple and glazed ham! Aloha!!!

3.21/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Brown to amber color and transparent. It had a finger of head, but it was quickly gone to surface covering.

A slight nutty smell and then dominated by coconut and a little cocoa. It smells like dessert.

Sweet, sweet and then some sweet coconut.

Lighter body, low carbonation.

I really liked the smell, but the coconut just overpowered everything in the taste. Too bad. About a third to half the coconut would make this a really winner and let the rest of the ale show through.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

If I ever go back to Hawaii this will be the beer I drink.

This is not my personal taste preference in a beer, however it does capture the Hawaiian feel very well. This is definitely the kind of beer you have try for yourself to see what you think, I know my taste but not yours, and I can see why this one would be very good to some people.

Dark like a porter, coconut, brown sugar, toasted malt.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A- slightly hazed rusty reddish brown with a nicely creamy beige head. Ample swirly lace.

S- warm and nutty with definite coconut aromas. Notes of wood, chocolate and citric herbs as well.

T- toasty and nicely sweet with a mild balancing bitterness in the finish. Coconut flavor is soft but artificial tasting. Touches of chocolate, wood and hazelnut.

MF- soft bodied and vigorously carbonated. Powdery chocolate feeling on the cheeks.

D- not so bad, but the "natural flavor added" never works for me. Strangely refreshing however (if you're thirsty) and unoffensive.

3.24/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Beautiful amber color and semi-transparent. Cream colored head is thick on the pour and retains well. Good lacing.

Tangy tropical plants, grass and wheat toast in the aroma.

Wheat flavor. Coconut. Mild toast character. Hops are grassy and leafy. Has a sour off taste.

Medium bodied. Grainy texture. Dry finish. Solid carbonation.

Eh. Not the best brown ale out there. I appreciate the creativity but this one was a flop in my opinion.

3.24/5  rDev -10.7%

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.