2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

(Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011)
Ratings: 1,036 | Reviews: 288 | Show All Ratings:
emmasdad

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev +8.3%

picked this one up for my wife a month or so ago at merchant of vino in Tamarac Square in Denver, got tired of waiting for her to drink it, so I opened it up tonight. Poured a medium to dark brown with a nice little white head. Aromas of toasted coconut, nuts and milk chocolate (almost like an alomond joy at times). Medium bodied, with more almond joy-like flavors, milk chocolate and shredded coconut. Surprisingly pretty good.

04-09-2011 03:42:39 | More by emmasdad
bunnyhustle

3.55/5  rDev -2.2%

An interesting beer, especially when compared to the Maui Brewing Companys coconut porter. First with appearance nothing too out of the ordinary here. Brown, little darker in color, creamy but thinner head, not the greatest retention but thats no deal breaker to me. Has a very strong coconut and vanilla cream smell to it. I know this sounds weird but the smell is almost like a flavored coffee creamer. I have mixed thoughts on the taste. I preferred it better cooler than warm. When it was cooler it had more of a malty brown ale taste with some subtle coconut. The warmer it got it quickly became a very sweet, coconut creamy mess I thought. It was a little too much warmer. Mouthfeel I found to be a little watery, even for a brown. Overall not a great beer but not terrible. Glad I tried it but dont know if I'd necessarily seek this out again.

04-03-2011 01:44:47 | More by bunnyhustle
AleEvangelist

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance: The beer appears as any other brown. More head would make for a prettier pour, and if they could get it to stick around longer, it would certainly improve the beers aesthetics. No lacing is evident, either.

Smell: The aroma is elusive. If you really get your nose in there and give a good sniff, you might be able to get a hint of the rich toasted coconut promised by the bottle, but it's faint. No malt, no hops, and little in the nose at all.

Taste: I had high expectations for this beer. Having cut my coconut beer teeth on Maui's Coconut Porter, this beer had some big shoes to fill. At first, I was preparing myself for disappointment, as the "brown-ness" of this beer leaves something to be desired. I expected more of a malty kick. However, that toasted coconut really comes through on the finish and lingers in your mouth for what seems like ages. Where I would normally expect some trace hops to cut the sweetness of the brown on the finish, the toasted coconut takes that place. And I keep saying toasted, because that's what they say they brewed with. It tastes like it. It's not the sweetness of the raw coconut...it's the caramelized sugars and slight roastiness of toasted coconut, and it's definitely a pleasant difference!

Mouthfeel: Given the richness of coconut, I had high hopes for the mouthfeel, but was disappointed. It's thin, not quite watery, but not what you'd expect from a 5.5% abv brown. Maybe the toasted coconut imparts an astringency they can't shake. Whatever it is, it's definitely not a rich, brown ale. More the mouthfeel of a pale.

Overall: I didn't know what to expect from this beer, but enjoyed the novelty. It's not a "big" beer like Maui's coconut porter, but I don't think it's really trying to be. It's a decent enough session beer, and if you like toasted coconut, I'm willing to bet you crack another one open as that coconut finish lingers well after your last sip. But it's not stellar.

04-01-2011 04:42:23 | More by AleEvangelist
ThreeWiseMen

2.8/5  rDev -22.9%

Appearance: Thin half finger head. Lacing present from the pour. Color ranges from amberish brown to dark brown. Points lost due to a lack of head retention and other "head" related issues.

Smell: I get faint nutty hops. It's thin, I'd prefer it much much stronger on the nose. It smells faintly of coffee (reminiscent of pipeline porter) they probably are using the same hops.

Taste: It taste like potpourri... drinking this beer took me back to a time when I was seven at my grandmother's aunts house. I'm wearing a tight fitting suit of some sort and the entire house has bowls of potpourri.... I'm not a big fan of this beer but I'll keep drinking it to see if I can get anything else. There is coconut in there, it's right at the beginning and at the end. This beer grows on you but... it's still just decent. The best part of this beer might be the slight coconut taste. It reminds me slightly of a beer called coconut porter.

Mouthfeel: Not the nuttiest beer. Its thin and slimy. Meh.

Overall: All together, try it, you might like it. But if you want a brown ale, look elsewhere.

03-31-2011 06:53:24 | More by ThreeWiseMen
TIAAN

3.28/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured a smallish clean white head, that in not too long receded to the sides of my glass. The nose is of coconut and caramel malt. Pleasant.

Surprisingly crispy taste for a brown ale. Coconut is apparent, along with malty goodness. A very refreshing beer. Nothing spectacular. Pleasant.

03-30-2011 19:29:22 | More by TIAAN
CharcuterIAN

3.1/5  rDev -14.6%

to start...Down by the river by neil young just started on my deck. this makes me very happy! now to the beer.
poured into my a globe. Garnet color, no head, no lacing. smell is roasty malt, light coconut, milky. taste is same. mouth feel is quick small bubbles, and then nothing but toasted coconut...
not my cup of tea, but not terrible.

03-30-2011 07:43:22 | More by CharcuterIAN
mrasskicktastic

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - A slightly reddish tint to the overall brown color. A small head, only the slightest bit of lacing lingers on the glass.

S - Smells like shea butter and pina colada. It is hard to sniff out the mild malt under this.

T - Toast, biscuits, shea butter and coconut. Aftertaste is very mild grassy hops bitterness and bit of lingering malt.

M - Buttery, thick, smooth, waxy, moderately refreshing.

D - Not bad. The flavor is exotic, but it feels less substantive than I would want. I'd have again if offered, but I don't think I'd buy it.

03-29-2011 07:04:31 | More by mrasskicktastic
BrewerB

3.4/5  rDev -6.3%

One of the best month's of my life was spent in Hawaii with a girlfriend who was then living their. Amidst our island hopping, we stopped upon Kona Brewing Company beers which provided a significant amount of liquid refreshment during our trip.

Into my small, Firestone Walker pint nonic glass, this brew yields a clear copper color, forming a large off-white head that squats down to around 1 finger high but holds up well during the session. Toasted coconut aroma is first faint then stronger as the beer warms. Some toasted malt is there, too but having trouble locating hops. Toasted breads, coconut control most of the flavor profile and the beer finishes dry with just a hint of astringency. Hops seems to be whispering which isn't typical of an American Brown Ale. Medium body, moderate high carbonation level.

Thankfully, I bought this beer as a single. Certainly glad to have tried it but it lacks the complexity I'd like to see from the style. coconut adds a decent touch. Something makes me think it'd taste a hell of a lot better were I relaxing on a beach in Maui...

03-28-2011 21:38:00 | More by BrewerB
henrysunset

3.23/5  rDev -11%

12oz bottle from a 6-pack. Bought it since Kona's Pipeline porter is so good and it is out of season.

Filtered, dark with a tall head poured vigorously in a goblet. medium sized bubbles.

smell is dark and roasty,to match a good brown or even a dry porter. I feel like I can smell a little coconut, but only since I am looking for it.

Taste is a little odd, it dries up on the tongue quickly to a flat earthy flavor, after that you have a pleasant roast. Initial taste of each sip has a pronounced sweet coconutiness, but the transition from that flavor to the darker flavors isn't smooth. The main flavor is a little "dirty" not clean, and it just isn't quite right.

mouthfeel is a little too dry actually, and I like don't like sweet beers. Drinkability is pretty high, but overall preference for this beer is low. I won't be buying this again, but I still look forward to Pipeline Season again!

03-25-2011 01:48:41 | More by henrysunset
SolomonGrundy

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%

The basics: 5.5% ABV and super cheap for a sixer...

Actually it pours exactly what I would call a Koko Brown in color...Very clear...Very light carbonation...Thin ring of foam and no real lacing. A bit "mehh" at first glance...

The aroma is super cool. It's kind of like an Almond Joy candy bar, but a subtle version of it. There's a slight hop component, but it's faint. I also get a touch of cinnamon. Pretty cool but not very complex.

Flavor is very similar to the aroma - kind of like drinking an Almond Joy...The initial burst of flavor seems sweet, but it's not. I also get a macadamia nut type flavor in the late middle and finish...Finish has an off bitterness which I can only attribute to the hops that MIGHT be present, but I can't be sure. The main fighter in this match is coconut and chocolate, as the name implies. It delivers exactly what it says it will, but it's otherwise uneventful.

What I like most: The interesting Almond Joy notes in the flavor and nose.

What I like least: The rather pedestrian beer that backs it all up.

Verdict: Worth the price, and that's to say it's cheap.

03-24-2011 03:40:35 | More by SolomonGrundy
azdback

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured into my custom etched "dead man's hand" pint glass. Dark brown color. Filtered look with lots of carbonation bubbles. Head is just a finger or so, tan and creamy. The lace is good and stickin' around like the donk at your 3,6 game.

The smell is of light malts and a sweet toasty flavor from the coconut. Not complex at all those are the only things I am able to get from the nose.

Wow where did that come from? The taste of this beer is fantastic. Not the richest, maltiest beer your ever gonna drink, but it is just a brown. It's the taste of the coconut. One of the best sweet tastes I have ever had in a beer. I might be tasting a bit of coffee too.

Mouth is well carbonated, but thin in the middle and watery on the finish. I am giving this an average score because, well, it's average for the style.

Overall I really was surprised by this one. I originally bought this six pack to have one and send the rest out as extras. I might end up sending one (maybe two) out the rest is for me and my tasting friend Joss.

03-21-2011 04:12:01 | More by azdback
yemenmocha

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a very translucent brown with thin head. Nose is light with some brown sugary baked goods. Palate offers the expected toasted coconut, thin watery body, and some brown sugar notes too. Easily drinkable with the watery aspect. Could use more body for sure. Toasted coconut flavors are nice though.

03-20-2011 03:14:08 | More by yemenmocha
Retsinis

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

Picked this up as a single bottle at Total wines. I've been looking forward to try this since I heard they were bottling it and shipping it to the west coast.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Bruery Tulip glass.

The beer pours a copper amber with a red hue. Much less carbonation then I expected, about a quarter inch, and that faded to just a ring on top, some very light lacing.

The smell is toasted cocount, with a bit of caramelt malt backbone.

Flavor is toasted coconut upfront, some bread, caramel, but it fades in the middle. Finish is crisp, with a very light tinge of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light, and a little thin, especially on the back end. It fades on the swallow.

Overall, a new twist on a brown ale for me, and very Hawaii. I did like it, and would not turn down another.

03-17-2011 18:19:16 | More by Retsinis
FosterJM

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

319th review on BA
bottle to pint
12 oz bottle, date code 2/11

App- Reddish tinted brown in the glass with a minimally there 1/2 finger head. Minimal lacing.

Smell- I'm diggin on this. Huge chocolate & coconut. Its mounds in a glass. I like mounds so I am happy.

Taste- More malty on the taste but was a pleasant beer. It was sweet and retained the coconut flavor.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carb level. Malty finish with again that slight coconut.

Drink- I liked it. Was different but not over done, had good character and was pretty balanced. Probably won't have again unless I am in Kona.

03-17-2011 05:00:09 | More by FosterJM
ZenAgnostic

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance - Clear, dark brown body. Two finger caramel off-white head.

Smell - Very sweet and fruity. Smells like coconut and cocoa butter.

Taste - Toasty. Smooth cocoa/chocolate taste. Slightly bitter up front. Coconut makes a small appearance in the finish. The biggest letdown about this beer is that it's a coconut beer, but you can't really even taste the coconut. Cocoa butter, but not coconut. Reminds me an iced coffee if anything.

Mouthfeel - Great mouthfeel. Very smooth.

Drinkability - Great, interesting taste. But a little too strange and adulterated to be a session beer. Seems like it would be a good mood beer, or for an esoteric food pairing where the food is chosen first and the beer has to fit.

03-16-2011 03:48:10 | More by ZenAgnostic
largadeer

3.05/5  rDev -16%

Clear mahogany brown body with a sticky, lasting beige head.

The beer has little aroma when it's cold. As it warms, I pick up brown sugar, toasted malt and sweet coconut. Simple and a bit sweeter than I'd like, but not bad.

The palate presents more of the same: toasted malt, coconut and brown sugar in equal portions. It's fairly thin, simplistic and sweet. There's some slightly astringent graininess in the finish along with more brown sugar sweetness. A clean and fairly drinkable beer, but not particularly good.

03-14-2011 23:29:20 | More by largadeer
Reidrover

Oregon

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz from a 6-pack from "Habits" S.Salem. $6.99 Appearance? Nice enough looking brown ale. Burnt amber/brown coloured beer with a nice thick light tan head. Aroma is subdued but the coconut is evident alongside whiffs of chocolate,nuts and caramel. Taste is definatlly tasted coconut..with sweet caramel malts and chocolate. Palate is OK and quite thick and pleasing for the style. Overall a nice pleasing beer. Funny thing with the toasted coconut and chocolate this reminded me of Lee's Macaroon Bars back in Scotland as a kid!

03-14-2011 17:47:55 | More by Reidrover
harrymel

3.48/5  rDev -4.1%

Bottled 2/12/11

A: Pours a cherry brown ale with absolute clarity. Three finger burnt cream head retires down over five minutes to leave broken quilt of the same. Coarse spider web lacing. Good looker.

S: Smells more like the meat of a coconut, rather than the essence (like many coconut beers, IMO). This of course over a very simple brown ale nose. Hints of clove in there as well, some vanilla.

T: Wow, uber Coconut! Very nice up front. The beer has tones of cocoa and light cinnamon as well. Simple, one dimensional, but nice.

M: Light to medium body with medium carbonation. Subtle oral slicking.

D: Good beer. surprised by this offering from Kona. Glad they took an apparently unique approach to an up and coming category (coconut) of beer. I like it.

03-14-2011 15:02:14 | More by harrymel
bradleyp

3.4/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to the roommate for picking this one up. Don't know where she got it, but I guess it doens't really matter. Part of the Aloha Series.

A: A very dark brown, but you can still see through it. Minimal carbonation bubbles, and very little, to no lacing.

S: On the first smell, I couldn't pick up any aroma, but after a second smell, I got a face full of coconut. Very nice chocolate aroma as well.

T: Right away, you can get a taste of some dried coconut. It was very exotic, especially for a Hawaiian brewery. The aftertaste also had an explosion of coconut. The brewers knew what they were aiming for when they made this.

M: Just like the mint flavored beer I had a few weeks ago, it took me a bit to enjoy how this beer felt in my mouth. The flavor really catches you off guard at first, especially if you've never had coconut flavor in your beer. Nice medium body that went down pretty nice and easy.

D: Probably won't try this one again. Not a bad beer by any means. I don't really like fruity beers. But since this one is a nice brown ale, i'll let it slide.

03-13-2011 06:49:05 | More by bradleyp
Bookseeb

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance has a ruby brown color with a off white minimal head and lace. Smell has a dominant sweet roasted coconut aroma with some grain in the back. Taste, again of sweet roasted coconut, grain with a good hop balance. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. My first brown ale with coconut is very enjoyable,

03-13-2011 01:08:33 | More by Bookseeb
inthebeeraisle

Oregon

3.85/5  rDev +6.1%

Hadn't tried this seasonal from the folks at Kona Brewing yet. 12. oz bottle poured into a regular pint glass.

Pours with a fat finger of head that dissapates quickly. A touch lighter then some other brown ales. Not much for bubbles.

Has a toasted coconut aroma. Reminiscent of a really fruity cup of joe. Slight sweetness there too.

Certainly not a typical brown ale, but I don't think that's what they are going for either. A slightly sweet flavor up front with a more meaty chocolate malt & coconut flavor backing it up.

A pretty substantial mouthfeel. It isn't too heavy, but the depth of flavor is there.

Drinkability is lacking a little. This is a very solid interesting take on the style, but I'm not sure that I'm reaching for another one in the same sitting. Maybe if I had a fireplace by my side.

03-11-2011 01:43:42 | More by inthebeeraisle
beertaster13

3.93/5  rDev +8.3%

Serving was a bottle poured into a pint glass. The apperance is of a nice mahogany, the head is a nice thick white head that settles nicely into the glass.

The smell is a soft nutty taste, not a lot of distinct aroma. Slight sense of roasted grain.

The taste is complex, coconut is definetely in the forefront and the aftertaste. In between is a very nice mix of nuts and caramel. Found the taste to be very complexing. Not as thick as I expected in the mouth.

I loved the mouthfeel in this beer, this is a nice brown ale you can drink in the summer, its dark but feels light enough in the mouth to quench the hot months of the summer. Pleasant.

This is a very drinkable beer, works well in summer months, as I drink this in March i will note that I need to try this in the summer as it definetely will fill the void of a dark ale that holds up well to drink in summer heat. I reccommend this beer.

03-08-2011 05:35:04 | More by beertaster13
RJLarse

3.1/5  rDev -14.6%

I bought a six-pack of Koko Brown Ale at a grocery store. $6.99. Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a clear mahogany brown beverage, with a smallish off-white head. No resiliency of the head to speak of and the sides of the glass remain remarkable clean.

The smell is faint, with a coffee aroma and the coconut as advertised on the label.

Taste is OK. It has the typical brown ale attributes with the coconut flavor. Tastes a bit like Dr Pepper without as much syrup or sugar

Mouthfeel is thin and highly carbonated, with a dry mildly bitter aftertaste.

It is a drinkable brown ale but the coconut does nothing for the brew. It's drinkable but there are much better brown ales available.

03-07-2011 01:08:06 | More by RJLarse
grittybrews

3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured a clear, nutty brown with a faint ruby tinge into a tulip with two fingers of sturdy, light khaki head. Mild, roasty aroma of toasted coconut with hints of vanilla, toffee, and chocolate.

Slightly low carbonation and a rather thin mouthfeel. Lots of coconut up front followed by a nutty, biscuity sweetness and a fairly dry finish with some slight toasted malt bitterness.

I'm a big coconut fan, so this brew was high on my to-try list. It was tasty and easy-drinking with a nice coconut character that wasn't too sweet, but overall the experience was a little one-dimensional. Maui's CoCoNut Porter will remain my go-to.

03-06-2011 05:10:25 | More by grittybrews
ocelot2500

3.35/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a clear, burnt sienna with a small, tan head that leaves a solid amount of lacing.

Smells of the toasted coconut and some toasted malts.

Tastes of a moderate dose of coconut with some of the toasted malts as a base. Coconut makes it presence at the start followed by coffee and chocolate notes, along with some nuttiness. Somewhat sweet, but little to no bitterness. Has a bit of a German chocolate cake feel to it minus sugar. Finishes fairly dry.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth, light amount of carbonation.

03-06-2011 02:26:29 | More by ocelot2500
Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.