Join our email list →

Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States | website

American Brown Ale | 5.50% ABV

Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
Reviews: 309 | Hads: 1,323
3.57/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am not the biggest fan of brown's but the allure of coconut on a cold snowy night was too much so I grabbed a single and gave it a shot. Sleek deep chestnut appearance with about half inch of head which receded relatively quickly with minimal, spotty lacing. Aroma was all of the coconut I was looking for. Mouthfeel was a little thin but smooth with the moderate carbonation and the taste was a pleasant blend of brown ale nuttiness, coconut sweetness and a lightly bitter finish. Overall I would say its a pretty tasty beer. Was a great way to fill a craving but not necessarily something I would run out and buy otherwise.

I cant believe i havent rated this beer yet. The best brown ale I have ever tried and followed closely by bells best brown ale. The 2 are so similar other than the koko brown has coconut flavor. take everything i said in my review of best brown and add the coconut and its so undiscribable

Presentation: Very eye-catching label with awesome graphics, color scheme, and font that gives a real tropical island feel. Label gives a small description of the beer, web info, a bit of brewery info, states “Aloha Series”, and bottled on date 3/12/2013. Neck label gives a description of the beer, backstory on the brewery, and states “ Aloha Series”.

Appearance: Allowed to warm for 10min before aggressively poured from its 12oz brown bottle into a 16oz nonic pint led to a 3 finger light tan head of a light airy density that was the very rocky and resting atop a slightly chill hazed chestnut brown beer. Head retention was 3min 16sec before fading to a thick rocky rink and coating with excellent lacing.

Smell/Aroma: Smells of nutty maltiness with hints of milk chocolate sweetness and a toasty coconut aroma with hints of caramel.

Flavor/Taste: Taste is of roast nutty malts along with a toasted coconut flavor on the front-end. Milk chocolate, caramel, and toasty coconut dominate midpoint before turning to a toasted coconut finish and roasty aftertaste. The coconut comes out as this warms.

MouthFeel/Drinkability: Medium bodied with a slightly creamy mouthfeel and a low carbonation. Very drinkable and tasty.

Overall/Comments: A very good brown ale that is very drinkable with a tasty flavor profile that is worth a try. I would def drink again but wouldn't seek out and buy this. Classified as an American Brown Ale @ 5.5%. Consumed 9/8/2013.

3.84/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Pours a reddish orange amber color 1 finger of white head, no lacing.
S - Big coconut in the aroma, some nice roasty malt, a little vanilla, some nice light hop traits too, a little floral.
T - The coconut against the nutty, roasted flavors of the malt really works here, in the end you get a light bitterness, some mild hop undertones.
M - Kinda sweet but still refreshing, medium body.
O - Unexpectedly good, the coconut is the most pronounced of any coconut infused beer I've had, and it works well in a brown ale. Will have again.

3.94/5  rDev +8.8%

This pours a medium brown color with a slight beige head. There isn’t much to the aroma but a slight scent of coconut. The flavor is dark, complex, and full of coconut. This is pretty unique and the best part is it tastes good too. A well made brew from that far south-west state!

3.62/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bright chestnut with pitted tan froth with speckles.
Definite toasted coconut nose with some waxy fat, floral nectar and brown toast.
Some toasty malts pushed out of the way by coconut milk that grows into a round, creamy mouthful with no hops noticeable. Maybe some almonds, red currants, and vanilla in there, but you're working hard to find them.
The same notes just fade to black with a tingling linger.
Smooth, fizzy, light to medium.

Wow, am I torn on this one. Not much of a beer, but man, does it taste like all the best parts of coconut - lush and tropical. If all they did was add toasted coconut to the secondary, then I need to double down for my next coconut porter. Sessionable, one-dimensional, gimmicky and darn tasty.

3.69/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

No Freshness dating.

A= Pours a hazy light brown color with a thin head that is a little whispy in appearance. The head doesn't last long and leaves some spotty lacing behind.

S= The smell is typical brown ale in the nose. Nice sweet caramel malts and a faint whisp of coconut that makes itself known.

T= The taste is again typical brown with the caramel malts. I get a little roast malt from it on the back of my tongue. The coconut is a little more subtle in the taste but there is a sweetness that comes over it post swallow that makes the coconut known.

M= Well done.

O= I've had a lot of this beer. One of the things I like about it is that it's a unique flavor with the coconut without being over bearing. Kona does a nice job of adding unique ingredients without making it taste gimmicky. I love this beer.

3.87/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a clear mahogany with an impressive three fingers of foam; great retention and lacing action

Smell: If Mounds were made with walnuts, the aroma would be identical to this beer's

Taste: Toasted wheat bread and walnuts, up front, with cocoa powder and coconut arriving in the middle; a bit of nutskin bitterness, after the swallow; the finish is sweet, however, with the chocolate and coconut prominent

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: I happen to like coconut and Mounds are one of my favorite candies (not that I am a big candy eater) so I rather enjoyed this beer; I would prefer it if it were a coconut porter but it is what it is

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brilliant deep brown with amber highlights and a frothy khaki head that slowly dissipates, leaving spotty lacing.

Light roast, deeply toasted malt, caramel, and chocolate form the initial aroma. Coconut surfaces late, then becomes more prominent.

Coconut lingers throughout the flavor profile, not overwhelming, but definitely present. Toasted malt and light roast fruitiness form the backbone, turning slightly bitter at the finish. Cola notes emerge as it warms.

Body is moderate, with moderate carbonation, and a fair amount of astringent. Not a fan of the cola notes.

Decent brown ale, but lacks in hops for an American style. Coconut was a nice complement.

3.76/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a slightly hazy amber chestnut brown color with a dense creamy 2 finger light tan head that faded very slowly, leaving really good foamy lacing and rings as it went down.

Smells of coconut, hay, grains, nuts, herbs and vanilla; a very soft nose with the coconut as the most pronounced flavor, and I must say that this is unique and better smelling than I expected.

Tastes of coconut, hay, roasted grains, roasted nuts, herbs, light grassy hops, and vanilla; there is a sweetness which I assume could be from the coconut milk, and the malts seem just kind of there to prop up the coconut flavor. Slight hop bitterness with an almost rum like aftertaste, this tastes like sipping a beer out of a coconut.

Mouthfeel is very light, thin and watery, with low carbonation, a light body and a sweet and slightly bitter aftertaste that trails off with you guessed it…coconut.

Let me close out by saying I generally hate the taste of coconut besides when it’s in coconut shrimp and those girl scout cookies with coconut in them. That being said, I liked this beer and even though it was odd for a brown ale, the coconut seemed to work in the brew. This is a one trick pony, and has a very basic flavor, yet somehow the coconut and vanilla made this enjoyable to me.

2.85/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear brown with some red in it. It's much clearer than other brown ales. The head is creamy and inviting, with average retention and a thin lace.

Malty as you'd expect with caramel notes and a sweet, nutty character.

It's got a nuttiness, but the whole taste is watered down. The caramel malts make it taste like watered down cola. Roasty, smokey flavor in the finish.

As mentioned, watery mouthfeel. Just a loose feel that kills everything, though there is a bitterness in the swallow. Lacks depth and body.

Not all that impressive. A bit clear from the pour led to a watery feel that ruined this.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with a red tint, like a black cup of coffee with a shot of whiskey. Decent head and lacing.

Smell: Roasted malts, vanilla, and coconut.

Taste: Coconut, roasted malts, vanilla, coffee.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with an aftertaste that makes me think I just drank a cola.

The Verdict: Different. It's pretty good, and the coconut isn't too heavy, but... I'm not sure if I'm drinking a beer, eating a Mounds bar, or swallowing a Red Rock Cola.

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Along with another beer this was my first keg tapped on my new dual kegerator.

Very smooth beer for being a dark brown ale. Strong hints of coconut and vanilla. If you are only looking to have a couple beers this is a good choice. Anything more than that the coconut starts to become overwhelming in my opinion.

I actually had my first Koko Brown when my wife and I were on vacation in Waikiki so I had to make it one of my first kegs. Kona had just started to distribute to Ohio.

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A nice production from the island. Poured into a pint glass, at first I thought it was a dark brown but it has more red tints in the light. Great smell of vanilla and coconut and not overbearing. The taste really brought out more of a toasted coconut and reminded me of an unsweetened macaroon - I mean that as a good thing too. It didn't have the sticky aftertaste I was expecting and that was refreshing. I'd gladly have another one.

3.66/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a 12 oz brown bottle into a 16 oz nonic glass. Date printed on the label reads APR 10 13, but I can't tell if that's a bottling date or a freshness date, so this bottle is a couple months past its prime at worst.

Appearance - Aggressive pour yields a khaki one-finger head of small bubbles that dissipates to a rim of foam and a film of bubbles after about 60 seconds. Body is translucent brown resembling varnish, and when held up to the light, a rich jewel-tone red shines through. Lacing is spotty

Smell - Nutty earthiness is the base, perhaps some hazelnut. Toasted coconut is also easily recognizable as well as some notes of vanilla.

Taste - I was afraid this would be just another brown ale, but the coconut really shines through and in a pleasant way. Malty base works well with the burnt/charred characteristics reminiscent of toffee. Perhaps a hint of hop bitterness to balance out the sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Light-bodied and with a slightly cloying nature gives it a lingering aftertaste. Carbonation is present, but not overbearing.

Overall, I'm fairly impressed by this beer. Not something I'd drink all the time, but a solid change up from the types of beers that tend to be so popular these days. Surprisingly refreshing for a brown ale.

4.27/5  rDev +18%

I am almost finished with the last batch of beer that my local, in-person trader, tone77, dropped off for me. It has been an interesting go, with lots of styles that I would otherwise eschew, but which allow me to keep my hand in.

From the bottle: "Koko Brown's distinctive, nutty aroma and flavor comes from real toasted coconut blended into each brew. One sip of this roasty, smooth, mahogany colored ale and you will feel like you are on a warm sun-drenched beach in Hawaii. Aloha!"; "Since 1994, Kona Brewing Co. has been committed to making handcrafted ales and lagers of uncompromising quality. We invite you to visit our brewery and pubs whenever you visit Hawaii. Mahalo!"; "Ale Brewed with Toasted Coconut and Natural Flavor Added".

My pour was creating a good bit of head so I backed off to allow it to settle a little before proceeding. I started with close to two fingers of foamy, light-tan head, but the intense carbonation caused it to bubble and burp its way out of existence. Truth in advertising strikes again! It was, indeed, a mahogany-brown with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see through walls. The neighbors need to let the dog out, apparently. Nose was rich with caramel and coconut and I was reminded of a "Peanuts" strip in which Linus or Lucy had a box of chocolates and inadvertently chose a coconut and then made a face. I remember thinking that I liked coconut as a kid and especially my grandmother's pound cake with coconut frosting. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was initially rich with coconut, but then the caramel and chocolate of the malt began to kick in and it was like liquid candy! Finish was decidedly sweet and you had best like coconut going into it because that was the lingering flavor. I can promise you that this type of thing is not usually my bag, but as an occasional step away from intense hops, I liked it. You have to decide for yourself as to whether it would be to your taste.

4.26/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a brown body with a off-white head.

Nose is dominated by toasted malts and coconut. You can really smell the coconut in this beer.

Taste is light to medium bodied with, again, lots of nicely toasted malt and a toasted coconut flavor. Very nice and malty and really runs that nice fine line of malty brown ale, with maybe even hints of german bock. Not really much in the way of hops other than to add a mild bitter background. This beer is all about the perfect balance of rich session brown ale with toasted coconut.

I was really not expecting to like this beer at all, but man. Homerun. The toasted coconut flavors and the toasted brown malt go together like peanut butter and chocolate. A perfect match. A great session beer, but could also go really well with dessert. (I'd vote for chocolate ice cream on a warm day) ;-)

3.21/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A- slightly hazed rusty reddish brown with a nicely creamy beige head. Ample swirly lace.

S- warm and nutty with definite coconut aromas. Notes of wood, chocolate and citric herbs as well.

T- toasty and nicely sweet with a mild balancing bitterness in the finish. Coconut flavor is soft but artificial tasting. Touches of chocolate, wood and hazelnut.

MF- soft bodied and vigorously carbonated. Powdery chocolate feeling on the cheeks.

D- not so bad, but the "natural flavor added" never works for me. Strangely refreshing however (if you're thirsty) and unoffensive.

4.02/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Creamy tan head, with lacing from the top of the glass to the bottom. Reddish brown and clear.

Smell: Complex aroma, with notes of caramel malt, sweet tropical fruit, perfumy tropical flowers, and toasted coconut.

Taste: Malty, with subtle, toasted coconut and tropical fruit (pineapple?) flavors. Just enough hop bitterness to balance it out. Long, lingering malty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth.

Overall: A well-made brew, but I would have liked more coconut character. The toasting seemed to have diminished the coconut flavor, and the tropical fruit aroma/flavor masked it as well.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I poured this nice beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was a nice mahogany color and poured a really pretty nice tan head. The smell was yummy tasty and complex. The taste was yummylishious with coconut mounds bar type thing going on. A really interesting beer. I will buy this again foe sure. A really good beer.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The beer pours a mahogany brown with a head of medium sized soap bubbles on top that bubble and fizzle into a scrim over the beer. The beer’s body is clean and clear, though dark from the malts. On the nose, the beer smells chocolaty, almost to a syrupy level. There is a nice gentle roast that reminds the nose of coffee, caramel, and just a light hint of coconut nuttiness, but chocolate seems to be the big player in the nose. On the tongue, the beer tastes sweet and slightly savory with a lot of “synthetic-like” flavors coming through. In flavor the beer begins as light chocolate and moves into a slight coconut flavor that gives slightly plasticy flavors. These flavors crescendo into a short finish of mediocre chocolate, caramel, plastic-coconut, and slight biscuity malts. The aftertaste is light and slightly roasty with hints of chocolate. To me, the flavors suggest a watered-down English Brown Ale with very slight hints of coconut. In the mouth the beer feels on the light side of medium in body with a weak carbonation that simply peppers the tongue and then washes away. The mouth is left slightly dry with a touch of wet saliva. Overall, I am underwhelmed by this beer. I want more coconut flavor, and I want a thicker beer. The flavors are not disgusting, but just come off as “meh.”

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hawaii beer in Ohio, ok, bought a couple of each I found. I've heard of kona from folks as they've been to the islands, I was interested to try some.

Started with this coconut, not a big brown ale guy.
It poured a tea like reddish brown. Small tan head that faded fast to nothing. No lace at all. Carbonation starts out active but too fades to no glass activity.

The aroma is the best part of this brew. At first open or pour, take a wif, toasted coconut gets to the point of this beer.

Taste you get toasted coconut, toffee, dark baking coco and roasty malts. A mild hop is a balance and actually aids the mouthfeel.

The mouth starts out sweet but ends on a hop dry note.

Drink ability is tough for me, it is but I'm not one for more than one brown at a time. In this case, the coconut helps me.

Overall a great try for me, as I'm not gonna get to the islands any time soon to get one on draft.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle from the Kona Brewing variety pack - served in an Imperial nonic glass
Dated 07-FEB-13

A: Auburn brown body with a semitransparent look. Thick half finger of some choppy oatmeal colored suds. Low to retain leaving only a few streaks and dots of stick behind.

S: Smells of nutty malts with a light roast toffee sweetness. There is a root-like earthiness overall and a trailer of coconut crème mixed with coffee. Nice aroma and lighter than expected on the coconut.

T: Tastes like a vanilla cream soda. Leads with the nutty caramelized malts and segues to the vanilla and coconut crème sweetness with a bit of hazelnut coffee mixed in. There is some understated milk chocolate and a root-like earthiness throughout. I get some slight artificial flavorings but not in a real offensive way. Low to moderate bitterness perceived and no alcohol flavors coming through. Lightly sweet and tasty with a definite unique twist to the Brown ale.

M: Very light and a bit watery thin. Nice frothy consistency from the carbonation. A touch of drying but relatively wet on the finish.

D: Somewhat unique and lighter on the coconut than I was expecting. Still still tasty and sessionable. A little gimmicky but still pretty fun to drink.

3.8/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottle.

Golden maple syrup brown. Clear. Small, wispy, light beige head. Not much lacing. Toffee, brown sugar, figs, and toasted coconut on the nose. Not bad--definitely plays up the whole coconut thing.

Toasted malt. A little nutty. Toffee and dark fruit sweetness fill in. Nutty, toasted coconut flavor develops and gets pretty strong toward the finish. Hints of vanilla and licorice. Lingering coconut and toffee sweetness in the finish. Medium to moderate body with a somewhat slick feel. Not bad, but not one I would want more than one of in a sitting.

3.24/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Beautiful amber color and semi-transparent. Cream colored head is thick on the pour and retains well. Good lacing.

Tangy tropical plants, grass and wheat toast in the aroma.

Wheat flavor. Coconut. Mild toast character. Hops are grassy and leafy. Has a sour off taste.

Medium bodied. Grainy texture. Dry finish. Solid carbonation.

Eh. Not the best brown ale out there. I appreciate the creativity but this one was a flop in my opinion.

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.