Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Koko Brown - Kona Brewing Co.

Koko BrownKoko Brown

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: julian on 02-19-2011

Is there anything more iconic of the lush tropics than the coconut? The delicious heart of this island treasure has a nutty, toffee flavor and aroma that sends you straight to the beaches of Paradise. Kick back with a Koko Brown, brewed with real toasted coconut, and savor the mahogany color and smooth, roasty malt taste.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Koko Brown Alström Bros
Reviews: 302 | Hads: 1,275
3.77/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Clear, medium brown, pours a dense but small head.

Aroma: Caramel, malt, fairly mild.

Taste: Coconut, caramel sweetness, toasted coconut.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied.

Overall: Interesting. I wonder if the toasted coconut might go better with a lager though. (279 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -4.4%

Bottle @ home. I bought this on a whim. It sounded interesting. The beer looks like a brown should. The aroma was wonderful, like chocolate milk and coconut. Toasted coconut is front and center in the flavor. There’s also a nice hazelnutty, chocolate, caramel malty, and light toffee flavor. A touch watery but overall a good beer that is somewhat one-dimensional. (366 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: pours a thin creamy head that recedes slowly with nice lacing. Color is mostly clear brown with plenty of streaming carbonation.
Aroma: toasted coconut dominates the aroma, pick up a little bread dough as well, but only a hint of hops.
Mouthfeel: between light and medium bodied, quite carbonated with a dry finish.
Flavor: toasted coconut blends with medium roasted barley malt, quite bready flavor. Some mild earthy hops and a little warming alcohol in the swallow.
Overall: nicely crafted brew and certainly a unique offering. Worthy trying. (560 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

ST: 12oz poured into a pint glass. Bottle does not list ABV but does list BOD.

A: Clear chestnut brown with a half-a-finger slightly off-white head.

S: Strong sweet coconut, malt, and nuts.

T: Sweet coconut, lots of nuts, some roasted malt, toasted smokey notes and slight hops in the finish for balancing.

M: Surprisingly light and dry.

O: Interesting aroma and acceptable flavor. The mouthfeel should be heavier though to match the toasted sweet coconut and smoke. On the other hand, this is a brewery in Hawaii; I doubt a heavy beer would go well there. (563 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a bottle into a dimpled mug.

A – Crystal clear medium brown with a one-finger head of soapy cream colored bubbles. Patchy/clumpy lacing.

S – Toasted malts and coconut. Overall aroma is medium strength.

T – The taste almost exactly follows the nose, with nutty, roasted grains and lots of coconut, however the coconut flavor is not overwhelming, which is nice. Slight bit of earthy hops in the finish. Some fruit sweetness (would you believe me if I said pineapple?) comes out as it warms. Not terribly rich or complex, but still pretty tasty.

M – Thin bodied bordering on watery, with medium carbonation. The carbonation works, but the thinness doesn’t. Could definitely use a little more fullness.

O – Coconut; surely a gimmick, right? Well…actually this is a pretty decent beer, although definitely not something I would want to drink a six'er of. Who knew coconut and beer would make a drinkable combo? This one should get props for originality, as the coconut makes it pretty unique. (1,019 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a stubby 12 ounce bottle into an oversized pilsener glass. A fairly aggressive pour produces about a 3/4 inch creamy, off-white head which proves long lasting. Plenty of sticky lace is left on the sides, with a continuous coating of froth on top. The beer is a deep ruddy brown. A rich looking and inviting beer.

I don't get a ton of coconut flavor in either the aroma or the flavor. I've had this before- on the prior tasting, the coconut was quite noticeable. They may have toned this down a notch. Anyway, the beer does have some coconut aroma, along with sweet, roasted malt, chocolate, caramel and chocolate flavors, with a bit of bittersweet nuttiness on the palate. All of the flavors, which increasingly remind me of a Mounds candy bar, become a bit more noticeable as the beer warms.

This is pretty much what I like in a brown ale- relatively sweet, but with some nutty bitterness to balance, with just a little complexity, but overall rather simple. I seldom see this where I live, although the other flavors of Kona are generally available. I picked this up in a Three Bears Alaska store for about $7.50 a sixer (cheap). (1,145 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle into a pint glass

Pours a orange-copper color with a 3/4" off white head.

The coconut smell hits the nose right away. Just what I was hoping for. The taste, however, leaves a little to be desired. A typical brown ale for the most part, with a slight coconut flavor in the aftertaste/swallow.

A silky mouthful (more like a milk stout), this is a very smooth drink. I would have liked a little more of a bite to it. The coconut aftertaste was good, but would have liked a little more on the front end.

I would have another, if offered. (544 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -6.3%

The basics: 5.5% ABV and super cheap for a sixer...

Actually it pours exactly what I would call a Koko Brown in color...Very clear...Very light carbonation...Thin ring of foam and no real lacing. A bit "mehh" at first glance...

The aroma is super cool. It's kind of like an Almond Joy candy bar, but a subtle version of it. There's a slight hop component, but it's faint. I also get a touch of cinnamon. Pretty cool but not very complex.

Flavor is very similar to the aroma - kind of like drinking an Almond Joy...The initial burst of flavor seems sweet, but it's not. I also get a macadamia nut type flavor in the late middle and finish...Finish has an off bitterness which I can only attribute to the hops that MIGHT be present, but I can't be sure. The main fighter in this match is coconut and chocolate, as the name implies. It delivers exactly what it says it will, but it's otherwise uneventful.

What I like most: The interesting Almond Joy notes in the flavor and nose.

What I like least: The rather pedestrian beer that backs it all up.

Verdict: Worth the price, and that's to say it's cheap. (1,107 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served in the bar at the Polynesian resort in WDW. Pours dark chocolate brown in glass. Little head retention and minimal lacing.

Lots of toasted malt and coconut in aroma.

Taste is toasted malt, nuts and coconut. Coconut flavor is present throughout. Mild bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied.

Overall this was good. Enjoyed the coconut very much. (364 characters)

OK, got duped by the bottle. Guys tricked me into buying a sixer beacuse from what I thought, i was getting a nice brown ale with a hint of coconut wafting in from the Hawaii shores...not so much. Way to much coconut on this, completely over-powers the beer, but then again, that is good, because as the coconut fades, the cardboardy beer comes through. I was hoping for something else, oh well..this will get a ton of sales from soccer-moms in the mid-west that just got back from a family hawaiian trip however, so they get the last laugh. (541 characters)

Amber color, no head. Has a sweet vanilla and coconut aroma and flavor. Body is a bit on the sickly sweet side, but the carbonation cuts that away in the finish. Has a creamy, medium-body feel. I’m glad I tried it, but I don’t think I’d go out of my way to get another. (275 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

EDIT 2/24/2011. Additional tasting, to check for carbonation difference due to bottle conditioning...see below.

Bought a 6 pack tonight. First review!

A: Dark brown in color, good clarity, about 75% opacity. Lackluster head formation that quickly dissipates. Pours a little thin, almost watery.

S: Lots of sweet coconut on the nose, vanilla, subtle roasty, nutty aroma. Mostly coconut.

T: Lots of sweet coconut up front, almost vanilla like undertones. Mild nutty flavors, and subtle roast. I'd have to say this is an average coconut ale.

M: This is very clearly under-carbonated. I doubt a brown ale should be bottle conditioned for any length of time, so this is a most probably a priming miscalculation. I would prefer it a bit thicker in body, and more roasty but this is a good attempt at a coconut beer. EDIT 2/24/2011: gonna have to give this a few extra points. Tonight's tasting was definitely much more carbonated. So something either happened to the bottle I had, or there's some bottle conditioning going on.

D: Apart from the under-carbonation noted above, I love the coconut taste (as I do in most coconut beers...and coconut in general). Wouldn't be too hard to sling back a 6er. (1,200 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear chestnut brown, good carbonation, eggshell white head that leaves some lacing.

S: Fresh coconut and caramel. Simple but good balance.

T: Lots of coconut, both fresh and toasted, caramel, a touch of nuttiness. The coconut might be a little overpowering, but it all works well to create a warm porter with a delicious twist. Finish is short.

M: A little watery, which isn't consistent for the style but makes the drinkability extreme.

O: They could have gone overboard with the coconut, and luckily they only did a little. It's definitely the predominant note, but it's fresh and real, and rounded with some classic malty porter notes. I'm bringing some next time I go to the beach. (693 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Somehow manages to be both dry and sweet, which is kind of neat. That reminded me of cocoa powder but it's more of a caramel sweetness. It was sort of like I was drinking two different things at once. Very enjoyable.

Update: Now I've had one out of the bottle and it's not the same. It's still pleasant and I enjoyed it but on tap the flavors were so much fuller and richer. Leaving the scoring as the draught scoring. (420 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -20.3%

Reviewed from notes.

Served in a weizen glass.

It's chocolate brown with a tan head that lasts all the way to the bottom.

Very sweet coconutty smell, almost like a candy.

This beer tastes like suntan lotion. The coconut seems artificial and is overpowering. It was more htan I expected and found it to be too much by the time I got to the bottom of my glass.

It's a creamy beer with a nice amount of bubbles.

This was my last beer on my vacation. I was sad to be heading back to Missouri. My wife and I had these at the Kona Grill in the Honolulu airport. (561 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -10.7%

12oz bottle. Bottled on the 15 March 2012.

A - Brown reddish color. Small head with low retention and limited lacing on the glass.

S - Roasted coconut, malty, a bit spicy, and some gentle hop in the back.

T - At first, taste is dominated by coconut and malt. Hop progressively shows up to finish on a gentle alcohol warming touch.

M - Good carbonation. Medium body. Quite smooth on the palate.

O - Aromas and flavors are mild, but too discrete to my taste. Though, it's an unusual and pleasant beer! (504 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a clear brown color, head faded fast but left some lacing on my glass.

Has a sweet coconut smell.

As expected, it has coconut flavor. It is sweet, but the coconut is not overpowering.
It has a buttery mouthfeel, and finishes with a slight bitterness.

It is a nice beer, the coconut flavors make it different. I think it is worth checking out, but not something I would want to drink on a regular basis. (416 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - A nice brown color, with a decent head.

Smell - a sweet tropical and coconut.; with malty smell as well.

Taste - It is a bitter malty flavor, with a strong coconut flavor.

Mouthfeel - It is a bit light, good carbonation.

Overall - Pretty good, even though I don't like coconut. (294 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

Appearance: This beer pours a crystal clear deep garnet color and is topped with a ½” of off white head that leaves faster than it appeared.
Smell I was not expecting a typical brown ale when I got this beer and by the first whiff it doesn’t seem to be. I get coconut and some roasted notes not much else.
Taste: The taste is not something that I am really enjoying it just seems just a bit off. There isn’t much to the flavor as I would expect out of a brown, it is just kind of blah.
Mouthfeel: This appear to pour on the thin side and my palate agrees with the pour rather thin and weak. (598 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I am not the biggest fan of brown's but the allure of coconut on a cold snowy night was too much so I grabbed a single and gave it a shot. Sleek deep chestnut appearance with about half inch of head which receded relatively quickly with minimal, spotty lacing. Aroma was all of the coconut I was looking for. Mouthfeel was a little thin but smooth with the moderate carbonation and the taste was a pleasant blend of brown ale nuttiness, coconut sweetness and a lightly bitter finish. Overall I would say its a pretty tasty beer. Was a great way to fill a craving but not necessarily something I would run out and buy otherwise. (627 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a brown color with a very dark reddish hue. It has a medium sized brownish head that fades quickly and has minimal lacing.

S: The smell is mostly of strong coffee and coconut. There is also some hints of chocolate.

T: It tastes similar to how it smells consisting of coffee and coconuts. It leaves a nice coconut aftertaste.

M: It is kind of thin for a brown ale, but drinks very smoothly.

D: Overall this is a very enjoyable beer. It's a unique twist on the typical brown ale with the addition of the coconut. If you're looking for a typical brown, look elsewhere, but if you're looking for something new and unique, give this a shot. I'd definitely buy this again. (706 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle generously given to me by Spanial's Beer because they "appreciate my business". Very cool. Bottle poured into my Kona "Liquid Aloha" pint glass.

A: Pours a light shade of brown, surprisingly translucent, but with a big frothy off-white head on top. Large pancake batter bubbles throughout.

S: Muted notes of biscuits and overly-sweetened malts, with just a touch of coconut underneath. The coconut notes become more distinct as the beer warms.

T: Coconut is by far the most pronounced aspect of this beer. The malts underneath don't remind me of a "classic brown", either. Bready sweetness, almost cloying. No hint of roastiness. No "nutty" character. Just a malt sweetness that reminds me of "scotch ale", and lots and lots of fake, *extracty" coconut flavor.

M: Unremarkable. Rather watery. Low carbonation. Nothing much to discuss on the finish.

D/O: This beer lacks balance. I like coconut, but not like this. It's not horrible, but there's nothing about this that would make me want to revisit it. I could finish it if I wanted to, but I don't need the calories, so down the drain it goes. (1,106 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

Smells about like a typical brown ale. I get yeast and a bit of mild malt, but no coconuts.

Dark ruby appearance, clean and clear.

Not really any coconut on the tongue, either. It just tastes like a brown ale. There is a presence of toasted malts, but thankfully not burned malt. Hops are lightly present, more so in the after taste.

Typical mouthfeel, about like a Newcastle. (379 characters)

I cant believe i havent rated this beer yet. The best brown ale I have ever tried and followed closely by bells best brown ale. The 2 are so similar other than the koko brown has coconut flavor. take everything i said in my review of best brown and add the coconut and its so undiscribable (289 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Off white head that lingers. Appears reddish brown. Aroma is light but very pleasant of toasted coconut. Taste of vanilla and light toasted coconut with light body. Caramel notes emerge as it warms. Fantastic concept but I wish there was more body or sweetness to enhance the coconut flavor. (291 characters)

Koko Brown from Kona Brewing Co.