Pacific Golden Ale - Kona Brewing Co.

Pacific Golden AlePacific Golden Ale

good

Kona Brewing Co. visit their website
Hawaii, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.30% ABV

Previous name for "Big Wave Golden Ale"

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 03-11-2003)
Reviews by surfmeister:
3.83/5  rDev +13.6%

Very nice, a smoother version of a pale but still with some oomph, had a plastic glassfull at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel while listening to Hawaiian music and watching hula, they all went together pretty well I thought, amber color, firm head, assertive hop character of a SNPA but more subtle, much lighter bodied, it was a great change up since I had been guzzling lighter lagers, I will hula with this brew again

surfmeister, Sep 02, 2004

bpfrush, Nov 15, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

Clear golden in color with a white head.
Aroma is just a tad musty. Hops, sweet pale malt, and a slight fruitiness; lemon maybe.

Taste is light and very refreshing. Nicely balanced although a bit on the sweet side. Again there's a hint of fruitiness. Citrus, maybe lemon. Finishes well.

Good mouthfeel although light in body.
Very easy-going and drinkable.

Overall, this was my favorite Kona of the 3 I had. This would be a great summer beer. Light, smooth and thirst quenching.

PhantomVodoo, Apr 27, 2003
2.58/5  rDev -23.4%

I originally sampled this beer on 22 November 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
This is more of an American Standard or a Lager than an American Pale ale. No hops detected here. Pale yellow color, w/ a big white frothy head. It's not bad, but certainly nothing special

jcalabre, Aug 21, 2003

sd123, Jan 29, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Jame515, Sep 27, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

Presentation: 12 fl.oz bottle. I picked up three Kona beers tonight, and they all have a standard generic style label. This offering has an eye-catching cobalt-blue label. The bottle has a yellow dot matrix style ink mark that tells me it was “PKGD JAN2803 09:23”. I quite actually like the straight forward dating system – the complex coded affairs that some Breweries use, really piss me off when buying beer in the store.

Appearance: Pours with a reasonable looking ½” deep head, which has a rather wishy-washy large bubble head, the kind that looks like it’s just about to disappear after the first drink. It nearly does, but actually stays around for a while as a thin covering. A lovely looking golden color, more appropriately referred to as ‘Honey’ on the label.

Nose: A reasonable mix of malt and hops, neither overwhelming, nor underwhelming, just “middle-of-the-road”. It has a fresh ‘fruity’ smell, akin to those I find in the better quality English Pale Ales, which I like.

Taste: Light strength malt beginnings, crisp, fresh and very clean citric hops in the middle with a medium strength spice aspect. A transient malt beer, which finishes with a nice spicy hop ending, which, in the end, totally masks the malt. A very acceptable Golden Ale I found.

Mouthfeel: Light, which is not a let down for the style, but can lend a rather thin feel to the beer whilst it is in the mouth. However, it is smooth and very clean tasting. This, as well as the teasing hop spices that linger somewhat, ensure that it gets a 3, and not a 2.5.

Drinkability: Easily dispatched, a truly diplomatic beer that will never upset you, as it always aims to appease you. This is a very pleasant drinking Golden Ale.

Overall: If I ever get to the “Big Island”, I will be sure to visit the Brewery & Pub and try this one on draft for sure. I would imagine in the heat of Hawaii, this one is a tasty little thirst quencher.

TheLongBeachBum, Jul 08, 2003
3.13/5  rDev -7.1%

11/21/04- Given to me by a friend that visted Hawaii.

Appearance- Fairly deep frothy head with a slight amount of lacing. A bit of a cloudy golden color.

Smell- A bit of malt, hops and some kind of citrus.

Taste- Blonde Ale? Taste more like a pilsner to me. Didn't have that creamy smooth taste I was expecting from a typical blonde ale. Had a decent balance of malt and hops. A bit of maybe grapefruit or some kind of tart fruit in the background.

Mouthfeel- A dry finish and a bit bitter made it a tad difficult to drink.

Drinkability- Just not a blond ale IMO. But then again, I am a rookie taster. So, I guess you can try it and write a review. Not bad though. Probably wouldn't get it again, but worth a try.

GClarkage, Nov 21, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -13.9%

Medium gold color, slightly hazy. Small head. Aroma is grainy and sweet. A medium bodied golden ale. Malts are mild and slightly sweet. Hops are mild, slightly spicy. Flavor is slightly sweet, and kind of grainy. A touch harsh tasting. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is crisp and harsh. Aftertaste is slightly bitter and grainy.

beerguy101, Aug 28, 2003
3.38/5  rDev +0.3%

One of the three Kona brews I could find on the main-land, I quickly cracked into it and was greeted by a nice golden pour and a thin malty aroma. The first sip brings an initial malt flavor with a moderate bitterness and a slight floral hop spice. The bitterness grows effectively eclipsing the malt and lingers through the finish.

beernut7, May 19, 2003

TrojanWheels, Jan 18, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Pacific Golden Ale is as advertised...Pacific, as in Passive and Golden as is the color. My friend, Peter was thoughtful enough to pack some in his luggage from his vacation for our beer tastings. The light/medium body is surprisingly sweet. The mellow hops require some concentration to taste and smell (they're there, just not in any abundance.) Nice small white head won't conjure-up thoughts of Waikiki. Surf’s up Dude, Hang five...around the bottle!

BeerResearcher, Mar 30, 2003
3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

From notes.

Served in a Stella Artois glass for some reason. Was golden, amber in color with little head and no lacing (probably due to the glass). I didn't get much out of the aroma. The taste was very light, a little malty, a little hoppy, not much complexity. Light in body and very easy to drink. Overall, not that interesting and more of a good replacement for a BMC than anything else.

SkunkWorks, Dec 22, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -13.9%

Orangish opaque body and white head (poor head retention)

Very mild aroma. Sniff and sniff until I barely snorted the beer searching for an aroma.

Very light ale-like flavor. I need a more substantial beer to make me happy, this just wasnt there. There was some hoppiness, I refuse to fight to taste my beer. Despite that there was some spicyness.

Light refined mouth feel. This was pleasant.

This is what I expected from a beer made to combat the heat of Hawaii.

Naerhu, May 22, 2004
Pacific Golden Ale from Kona Brewing Co.