Cusqueña - Premium Dark Beer - Compania Cervecera Del Sur Del Peru S.A. (Cervesur)

Cusqueña - Premium Dark BeerCusqueña - Premium Dark Beer

Compania Cervecera Del Sur Del Peru S.A. (Cervesur) visit their website
Peru

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 03-26-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by KJH:
3.5/5  rDev +19.5%

I tasted this in Cusco Peru.

It purs a dark brown with a loose head.

No hop aroma but smells of grapes or dark fruit.

Tastes more like a dark lager than a stout. Some carmel and grape flavors.

Excellent beer that does not appear to fit into the a traditional beer style. Very drinkable with some fruity esters.

3.2/5  rDev +9.2%

Presentation: 12 oz gold foiled brown bottle with no freshness date.

Appearance: Very dark brown with ruby hues, a minimal light tan lace retains well.

Smell: Creamed coffee, faint roasted grain and light toffee.

Taste: Sweet ice coffee, a big addition of lactose has increased the body and sweetness significantly. Light roasted flavours, faded caramel and slight hop bitterness try to help finish this very sweet brew off.

Notes: An interesting brew ... very thick due to the use of lactose sugar(an unfermentable milk sugar), a little too much on the sweet side.

2.15/5  rDev -26.6%

This beer is incredibly sweet! Cloying. It pours a deep dark brown with some ruby highlights. It has a chocolatey/malty sweet aroma. The taste is cloyingly sweet and choclatey. Mouthfeel is syrupy and sticky. No carbonation. Like drinking Hershey syrup.
Aftertaste is very sweet and hard to shake. I needed a drink of water after tasting this one. Overall, not very drinkable.

2.2/5  rDev -24.9%

Basically black in hue but when held to a light a bright blood red tint is seen, I do like the color depth, a beige head reached a fourth of an inch in height. It quickly faded to a soapy cap. The subsequent lacing was essentially nil. The nose is airy and vapid, vaguely sweet, milky, the maltiness “tries” to smell like coffee and chocolate but it fails. It seems artificial and cheap. Still the bouquet is inoffensive. However it is not inviting either. The palate is sweet. It is that simple, sugary sweet, milky sweet, candy sweet, even the notes of plums and grapes seem sweet. The flavors don’t really seem to be malty sweet though; maybe the malt adds the caramel and vague coffee notes, maybe not. It lacks any notion of balance. Hops must be in short supply in Peru. Okay who are they kidding, Cusqueña Premium Dark Beer is barely tea, was yeast even allowed to eat any of the sugars? It is not worth drinking. Medium-full in body, heavy and sluggish yet the mouthfeel is adequate, if not a bit cumbersome. I’m glad UnionMade added this to our beer trade, this Sweet Stout broaden the style for me immensely, I can always say, “yes, this beer is sweet but have you tried….”

2.42/5  rDev -17.4%

Tasted from a bottle in Nazca, Peru.

Good appearance - very dark, almost jet black. Head is small, short lasting and a little scummy looking.

Roasted scents vie with an underlying sweetness giving an appealing and appetising aroma

The taste is overly sweet, a disappointing trend in dark South American beers. As a dark beer fanatic it says a lot that I would rather drink nothing than this. Heavy going and hard to finish due to overwhelming sweet malt notes.

2.65/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Brown twist top 33cl bottle, best before early Jul 09, drank late Jun 09. Obtained from a local cut-price store, very suprised to see it, my bottle claims 5.6% ABV.

Really dark brown, no ruby hints, this is a brown beer, a deep rich brown. The initial tan coloured foaming head soon turned into a collar and becoming more wispy as the review progressed.

Malty, slightly smoked, vimto aroma, sweet smell to be honest.

The taste mirrored the smell, a sweet, sweet, brew.

I found it too sickly, it hadn't the body to carry the sweetness. The alcohol was well hidden, but it just didn't feel right for me.

3.8/5  rDev +29.7%

First off-I love this beer. First had it at a Cuban Resturant in San Jose and was impressed by its flavor. Pours a dark brown with a sweet aroma. The taste reminds me of Cola or the NA Malt Beverages that are popular in Latin America. Little to no hops in the taste or aroma. Taste is sweet and sugary and very refreshing while the mouthfeel is light with medium carbonation..

Drinkability is medium-it is very sweet which limits its drinkablity.

4.95/5  rDev +68.9%

This is my favorite beer in the world. It may be looked down upon by connisseurs for tasting too sweet, but it's very distinctive and the taste itself is a great memento of my travels throughout Peru, including Cusco where I first had this wonderful beer. While Cusqueña is one of Peru's most ubiquitous brands, this dark product of theirs is hardest to find -- but always well worth the search. I am desperate to find it for sale in the Washington, D.C. area, and would buy up cases to fill my pantry if I could!

2.6/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Pours a clear dark brown beer with a good tan head.

Smell is smoke and strong coffee with a faint acid edge. I can't smell any chocolate here.

Taste is very sweet with a chocolate coffee flavor. Ugh WAY too sweet.

Mouthfeel is thin.

Drinkability here is a poor. Sweetness is OK in certain beers at certain times but this sucker is southern "Sweet Tea" sweet. I can't finish the glass.

2.68/5  rDev -8.5%

Well I scored a bottle of this brew from Unionmade. I told him I like malty beers and this is what he gave me. Well he was right nothin but malt the whole way through.
I sampled this brew at room temp and pour it into a snifter. The beer pours a very dark brown and I get a soft fluffy tan head to foam up Pretty good retention too.
Aroma is all malt with very sweet maple syrup scents and brown sugar also caramel. No hops at all.
First sip reveals small gentle carbonation with a thinner body than I expected from the nose. The sweetness dominates teh flavor from start to finish. I get a taste similar to a piece of hard candy or toffee with some sweetened coffee hints as well. This is probably one of the sweetest beers I have had besides some fruit brews. It is a good flavor but not something to have more than a bottle of. I bet it would go well with some light flaky pastries. Thanks Unionmade!

4.25/5  rDev +45.1%

3.33/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a four-fingered light tan head that quickly fades leaving no lace. Deep amber almost black color. Light-medium bodied and light carbonation. Sweet chocolate nose. Starts sweet, quiet hops in background, finish is sweet. Mouthfeel is watery at times. Sweetest stout I have had. 12 oz bottle, gift bought from Vintage Cellar Blacksburg, Va. Best by date Jun 25, 2005

2.75/5  rDev -6.1%

2.78/5  rDev -5.1%

12oz brown bottle foiled and capped. Poured into a pounder glass it forms a weak loose head that falls to a small island. Body is Amber to brown.

Has more of a dark lager feel to it than a stout of any kind. Its toasty and roasty around the edges. The toasted malts create a sort of astringent bitterness.

Notes: Another boring beer from this brewery. With that said I certainly could throw a few of these back if I was in Peru. Stateside theres just too much competition that are completely better to warrant another purchase. There is an element of milkiness so I can see why this is listed as a milk stout but the lager type character outweighs it in the end. Not very clean as the dry coated mouthfeel lingers. Better than its macro lager but this does not hold up well to the competition.

2.5/5  rDev -14.7%

3.78/5  rDev +29%

The beer pours a deep dark black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a smooth and rich chocolate and caramel malt scent along with lactose for added sweetness. The taste is decent. I like the taste, but it's almost too sweet. It has a solid chocolate and roasted malt base with loads of lactose. It goes down real easy and finishes sweet with a lingering aftertaste. This is a pretty tastey brew. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an easy drinker for those who like sweet tasting beers. For those who don't, don't even bother. This isn't for you. This is by far the sweetest milk stout I've tried.

2.48/5  rDev -15.4%

Presentation: Another Peruvian beer that I picked up tonight. Immediately I assumed it was the beer listed as just “Cusquena” – but it appears that the bottle I have is the dark version. I think it is from the same brewery as the previous beer I just had though. It comes in the same shaped 12 fluid ounce brown glass bottle with sloping side neck. The Main label has a mottled gray background with the words ‘Cerveza Cusqueña Premium Dark Beer’. No strength or freshness date and listed on the reverse as imported by ‘Logret Import/Export, CA 91746’. Cost $1.39 for the bottle.

Appearance: Pours with a massive, thick creamy tan-brown colored head. Superb retention means that the 3” head slowly rescinds, aided by the occasional drunk mouthful, the head remnants cling to the glasses sides. The beer is indeed dark, a very dark brown, that has a blackness about it when out of direct light. Average carbonation levels.

Nose: Very sweet malts, molasses, toffee and a light sickly odor that reminded me of cheap malt extract found in off-the-shelf Homebrew Kits.

Taste: Just as sweet as the nose. Thick sweet malts and some molasses are very prevalent right past the middle of the beer. Eventually roasted malts break through the beer, but it is too late to make this beer appeal to anyone other than those who have a sweeter tooth I suspect. A bit too sickly for me.

Mouthfeel: The average feel is supported by strong levels of dissolved unfermented (lactic) sugars I believe. This gives a solid average feel, but also makes it very cloying at times. This sweet dark beer may go well with a sweet desert.

Drinkability: One bottle was enough for me. I am not a great fan of overt sweetness, and this is quite the sticky sweet beer, that I found reasonably easy to finish - but it is not one I would re-order.

Overall: A new beer for me, and it was worth trying – but the sweetness of this dark beer, and my aversion to all things overtly sweet, will make it one that I will not seek again in a hurry.

2.78/5  rDev -5.1%

This one was alittle hard for me to drink, due to it's immense sweetness. I really do like sweet stouts, but this one was way to sweet for me. The smell was pretty good, but that was about it. It had a good malty, ie malted milk shake smell to it. It was just the taste that was too overpowering for me to enjoy. It had the malted milk taste, plus a sugary backbone. I figurered I would be up all night after that one, but instead I crashed. I think if Willy Wonka made beer, this would be one.

2.75/5  rDev -6.1%

2.7/5  rDev -7.8%

More often than not a dark beer is my preference, yet with Cusquena, I was disappointed with the bottle I had in Cusco, Peru. Earlier in the week I had the lager on tap in Miraflores, and thought at that time that the dark surely would be better... It wasn't.

Go to Peru, and certainly try Cusquena. But if you favor Irish Stout as I do, then you probably won't be drinking a lot of Cusquena premium dark. Now the Pisco sours... well this is a forum for beer, isn't it?

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Cusqueña - Premium Dark Beer from Compania Cervecera Del Sur Del Peru S.A. (Cervesur)