Schlafly Expedition Reserve - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 06-08-2003

A medium-bodied amber ale with a hefty dose of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. This authentic American Pale Ale was brewed especially for the Saint Charles, Missouri Lewis & Clark Bicentennial Commemoration.
2.56/5  rDev -31.9%

Well....its a true American Style Pale Ale...BORING. Seems to be very bland not real hops...almost along the lines as Bass....but not nearly as tasty....at least I don't think. Easy enough on the palate that it is a session for sure!!!! Good in a pinch, but not when there are other beers available.

2.7/5  rDev -28.2%

Appearance: Pours a light, light orange-amber body with a wispy, off-white head.

Smell: Faint grainy aroma with some citrus and a bit of mustiness.

Taste: Very weak malt flavor propped up against the taste of grapefruit. A lingering bitterness and an inordinate amount of husk astringency on the already acidic finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Light carbonation.

Drinkability: Certainly not a standout whatsoever in this very well represented style. It's time I come to grips with the fact that I need something truly exciting beerwise.

2.77/5  rDev -26.3%

The Schlafly APA poured out quite a bit of suspended yeast that hazed up its appearance and gave the beer a marmaladish look. Color was orange-copper. The one finger head did not last long. No lacing to speak of.

The aroma had hints of pine and lemon peel, but I was disappointed in the hops. I don't know what hops they've used, but I was expecting the huge hops blast that other APA/IPAs provide, and, as a hophead, I found the beer seriously lacking in this category. Coming from a city known for its lagers (St. Louis), however, perhaps explains the underwhelming hop aroma signature.

Regarding mouthfeel, what surprised me was a thinnish-fizzy-ubercarbonated characteristic that doesn't sit comfortably on the tongue. It's crisp, but too crisp for my taste. Perhaps more body is necessary to round out the edges and add pleasure to the drinkability. Otherwise the tongue wants to quickly deposit the beer to the throat.

The taste is better than the other characteristics would indicate. The citrus notes come through immediately, as does the bitterness which starts at the center but then breaks for the side edges of the tongue, with the bitter tug pulling down on those side edges. The palpable bitterness lingers until the next sip. Unlike Goose Island IPA (my current refrigerator IPA staple), this bitterness is not that pleasant. More body needed for balance. I wonder what the IBUs are?

I would like to try this on tap to see if the carbonation has waned somewhat because, as is, I can't call this a great session beer. It's an average one.

2.83/5  rDev -24.7%

The pour was the best part, a hazy amber orange with a small white head. But the aroma, oh no, I detect floral! And I can’t stand much floral in my pale ales. Crap, in the taste too. The brew has some nice hop kick, but I’m bummed by the dominating floral. I can taste some interesting aspects, but just can’t get beyond the flowers.

3.03/5  rDev -19.4%

Schlafly- American Pale Ale

Served up, on tap, at the Schlafly pub in terminal B at Lambert Airrport- St. Louis.

Appearance- dark caramel bronze/ brown with a slight head. No lacing.
Smell- Malt and caramel with a touch of cherry/ orange.
Taste- Big malt up front with a touch of raisin/ cherry blended in. Slight yeasty tone.
Mouthfeel- Light and an easy sipper.

Overall- A middle of the road beer that didn't quite live up to it's American Pale Ale label, but sitting in airports and on planes all day, I'll take it!!

3.06/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured this 12 oz. into an IPA glass. Bottled "with love" 07/06, purchased at Bottleworks. Frothy large head with a clear copper body.

Smelled of dry grain and hints of metal. Floral/herbal hops (noble?).

Tasted of assertive bittering hops. Mildly sweet and quite "hoppy" for an APA. Not bad, but lacking something special.

Medium body. Light carbonation.

Bottle is less bold than the tap version I tasted at Bottleworks. Pleasant but not one I would seek out again.

3.1/5  rDev -17.6%

Schlafly Pale Ale is most remarkable for its geography rather than its chemistry. It's a good, nearly unremarkable pale ale except for the fact that it's brewed, and thrives, in a city where Sam Adams is often cited by bartenders as an "Import". I wish the Schlafly brewery all the luck in the world in educating the blissfully ignorant worshipers of AB's beer-like products, in the center of their evil empire, St. Louis, MO.

This pale ale was unoffensive in taste, color and apperance. If you know what a Hop is, you can taste them in there, if you concentrate a bit. Very easy to drink down, and, as the bottle says, an ideal beer for a summer's day.

3.16/5  rDev -16%

Schafly APA looks great, smells good, and tastes okay.

It poured a beautiful cloudy apricot-color, with a massive foamy off-white head. It left rings of lace from the rim to the bottom of the glass. The smell and flavor had a great deal of pine and citrus rind, with a hint of sweet grapefruit dominated by the acidic and bitter white rind. The flavir finished with pine and resin. The feel was weak, with an extremely dry finish.

3.18/5  rDev -15.4%

Bottle received as an extra in a trade at DLD a month ago, finally on deck. The beer is clear copper color with a thin off-white head that dissipated after a few minutes of drinking. The aroma is kind of grainy, more malty than hoppy. I get a lot of grain in the taste too, almost one dimenionally so. The best I can say is it quenches thirst, actually it's not really a bad beer but it doesn't stand out very well in a style that is very well done by many others.

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%

Some pale ales are better than others. This one is the latter. Nothing exciting at all about this pale ale. Very little hops, okay carbonation--and this one came from the taps at the brewery itself from six feet from where I was sitting.

Much better choices available from Schlafly.

3.21/5  rDev -14.6%

A - Pours a clear copper color with a thin white foam layer across the top and mild to moderate carbonation.

S - Aroma is more grainy and malty than anything else. Some caramel sweetness, mild citrus and pine notes. Hops play the back seat, not what I expected. A little earthy as well.

T - Grainy, malty, some caramel malt hints, and a pine finish that's so mild I can barely detect it. Mundane and boring - perhaps it's an old bottle?

M - A little prickly, thick medium body.

D - A quaffer. Not enjoying this beer.

3.23/5  rDev -14.1%

Had this on cask, since I'm eternally searching for a beer that's great served via this method. I'm still searching. Not to say this wasn't good, just not something that I'd pick over the rest of the offerings on the chalkboard. The golden-orange, slightly cloudy appearance was nice, as was the hoppy-fresh smell. The head certainly held its own, and given the simple, clean slate aromas, there wasn't much else going on there. Taste was also quite good, slight bitterness and a fresh straw and pine follow-through. It was incredibly smooth, however what didn't work for or me was the hoppiness combined with the soft, watery texture of the cask. The combination of the two left me feeling like I just drank hop water. Overall I'd say this is a good beer, but I can't help but wonder why anyone would want it via cask.

3.35/5  rDev -10.9%

Maybe I got the last of an old batch or my server poured this wrong (see the soon to be reviewed Tap Room) but I was somewhat dissappointed. I've always had great acolades for Schlafly but not on this one.
Red Orange tone with almost no nose (or head). There were hints of citrus and a floral aroma but VERY slight.
Taste was good but not what I expected. This pales (pun intended) in comparrison to others I've had in this style. Barely any hops with a slight caramel finish. A slight bitterness but almost a watered down taste.
Mouthfeel- didn't impress me, felt like water.
Drinkability, I'm heading back to the Tap Room tonight (possibly, I may hit Morgan St. instead) and I probably won't order this, although, I would like them to try for redemption so I may give them a second chance.

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz bottle into pint glass. Drinking this in a hotel room in Kansas City.

Pours a deep golden color with slight chill haze and one finger eggshell head.

Nose is citrusy, piney, and generally dank. Very funky with slight pineapple notes and light sweet biscuit notes. Also slightly sulfury.

Almost no malt presence in the taste of this one. Very skunky, piney, hops with a very dry finish.

Okay beer, nothing amazing. Would drink again but won't seek out.

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - A pure white 1" head atop a very hazy amber brew. Extremely active, like what one might expect from a champaigne.

S - Piney and fruity easters.

T - Mild malt flavors and a grapefruit bitter finish, probably dominated by the chinook hops. Little too sweet and lacking in balance - perhaps from the dry hopping.

M - Heavy carbonation dominates, taking away any subtitles.

Simple beer. I like the american hop flavors, but usually want more complexity and balance in a pale.

3.46/5  rDev -8%

Honey amber, sweet tea colored. Nice 2-finger sticky head with good retention. Finally recedes to a fizzy cap on top of the beer. I got grass, wheat and malt in the nose. It's not as hoppy smelling as I expected. Makes up for the lack of hoppiness in the nose with good hop flavors in the taste. Sweet at the front, mild citrus and some green apple in the middle with a slightly bitter finish. Feels good in the mouth, but maybe a tad thin. This brew is advertised as medium body, but feels more light bodied to me. Very drinkable, session beer.
Overall, I think it is a fine representation of the style. Nothing outstanding, but a fine session beer. Many thanks to Dertbert for providing this beer for my enjoyment.

3.46/5  rDev -8%

Poured a medium, bronze-amber color with just a hint of head. A thick dose of hop aromas to the nose and I'm hooked....mild caramel scents, almost as an afterthought. The taste is full of flavor- smooth hop bitterness, with a great balance of malts. Very potent. Great APA. If I lived in St. Louis, I'd be filling my growler up with this one regularly.

3.48/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured with churning golden-orange foam which lingered for several minutes. I was surprised by the many minuscule particles floating; not as typical for pale ales, but nontheless I like thick beer. Overall a solid/average APA, nothing out of the ordinary but surely nothing offensive. It's not quite as hoppy as I was expecting, but then again many interpretations of this style these days blur the lines between APA and IPA with over-the-top hops. Nice session beer to say the least.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass a hazy, warm gold. A thick 2 inch head formed which eventually melted down to 1/4 inch.

Smell of hops, grapefruit, malts and a bit of pine.

You're first hit with the hoppiness which then leaves you with a grapefruit finish.

Good mouthfeel, smooth body with a pleasant carbonation to it.

A very well done APA which Schlafly can be very proud of.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

I had this one at the Flying Saucer. I like Schafly beer but rarely get to try them.

As with most beers at this bar, this one was served in standard pint. The beer is bright gold with a dense white head.

Fresh grainy nose, don't get much hops.

Taste is fresh and grainy. There is a bit of backend bitterness that intensifies as you work your way through the beer. Bits of apricot, cracker and a touch of something sour at the finish.

Mouth has nice crisp carbonation.

It drinks easy and went well with my beer cheese soup.

3.51/5  rDev -6.6%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a goblet

A: Poured a purty copper orange. Decent head went away fairly fast, but leaves a nice oily lacing with each sip.

S: citric, floral aromas, very faint malt

T/M: Hops are right in your face with this beer. It's explodes with very juicy bitter grapefruit hoppiness, decent toasted bread maltiness, and yet it isn't balanced nearly as well as masters of this type of beer. Decent medium-bodied, slightly chewy at times. And leaves an oily, bitter, lingering finish. Decent.

D: Pretty easy to drink beer, the alcohol is medium at 5.5%, it's a good representation of an APA.

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I first have to say how cool I think the packaging for this beer is. I'm a big fan of the Lewis & Clark expedition and this beer celebrates the 200th anniversary of them heading off from St. Louis on their way to the Pacific Ocean (in Oregon!). Way cool. A co-worker brought me back a six pack of this brew when he drove up to St. Louis. Thanks, Steve!

A nice pale copper color without much head at all. It has a mild hoppy aroma.

The taste is a bit more bitter than I would have expected. There's not much hop flavor. Instead, there is a nice malt front-end with grassy and mild biscuit flavors. The taste is above average, assuming you like bitter beers. After a few sips the bitterness greatly subsides.

The body is light and crisp with just a little bit of heft.

Overall this is an above-average beer. It would make a good session brew.

3.56/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Poured out a cloudy gold/orange color with a foamy, white, three-finger head. It left sticky lace on the sides of the glass.

S - It smelled of sweet caramel malts and some grasses.

T - It tasted of grassy hops, possibly Cascade and a good dose of malt. It had a citrusy kick.

M - It was crisp and dry. It was medium-bodied.

D - This is a pretty good APA. It had a really huge head.

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

Tastes are hops, more hops, lawn grass, bedsheets, granola and light malt. Smells are hops, plastic, pines, pills, wood, more hops, pus, bread, canola oil, pineapples, coconut milk, gravy, sandpaper and grass outside Really interesting. I usually don't for this kind of beer but I liked it a-okay.

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a slightly hazed copper yellow color with a frothy head of solid white. Spotty lacing. The nose is quite hoppy - both floral and herbal overtones. A solid sweet malt background is also detectable here. The palate is light, floral and refreshing. Not cloying from the malts. Well balanced beer, for sure. Mouthfeel is clean and light. Slight bitterness in the finish, leaving it pretty dry. Good for an APA - not among my very favorite styles. I find this one easily accessible for those unaccustomed to flavorful beers. A good, solid APA.

Schlafly Expedition Reserve from The Schlafly Tap Room