Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Schlafly Pale Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Pale AleSchlafly Pale Ale

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

English Pale Ale |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 09-09-2002

Our flagship Pale Ale is a smooth, balanced, copper-colored session beer with mildly spiced flavor and aroma from the East Kent Goldings hops. The bready, lightly caramel malt complements the hint of fruitiness contributed by the London Ale yeast, making it satisfying and authentic; the perfect flagship beer for Schlafly.

Sixteenth century brewers created amber beers by using a form of coal called coke to roast their grains. Coke burns hotter and more steadily than wood without imparting the foul odors from coal. It allowed brewers to produce caramel malts that were paler alternatives to the common brown porters. At about the same time, Flemish migrants introduced hops to English beers and soon this ale became the chosen style of England from the mid-16th century until the end of the 20th century. Today, brewers outside England have adopted the Pale Ale and made it one of the leading styles of the American craft beer movement.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.96/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice amber color with a nice head. Smell of carmel and floral hops. Taste is initially malty followed by some nice hops bitterness. Mouthfeel is ok, I would like a little more carbonation. This is a very drinkable ale from Schlafly. It was always a go to beer before the APA came easlily available. Good Effort though.

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

A nice, solid pale ale with some English leanings, but nothing stodgy. Poured an attractive amber, some moderate sweetness up front with a bit of carmel malt. Hops bittering didn't have a lot of depth, but was nicely flavorful, nonetheless. This is a pale ale at home at the table with dinner.

2.2/5  rDev -38.4%

Clear golden brew with a small white head that readily recedes to a bubbly dishwater collar leaving tiny spots of wet lace on thte glass.

Smells mild, honeyed, and a bit funky. Has a bit of an unpleasant dankness or moldy smell to it.

Tastes mild, but spicy and bitter. Pleasant and gentle on the palate, and pretty unique tasting. I detect a bit aof a soapy flavor that is really throwing me off. I don't really like this....it tastes like when my parents put soap in my mouth for saying F@CK! As the beer warms, this soapy note seems to become less obvious and the beer really gets much better.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the watery side, and drinkability is ruined for me due to the strange soapy flavors and the off-balance bitterness.

Upon reading other reviews, I fear that I may have gotten a stinker. It states on the bottle that it was "Brewed with love on Sept 6 2006, and it is now October 20th so age isn't an issue. I got his off of a mix-a-six rack....maybe a bad batch?

3.86/5  rDev +8.1%

Ok, I'll be honest in saying that I wasn't expecting much from the local beer offerings in St. Louis. This was certainly one of the pleasant surprises.

Appearance was nice when it was sent in front of me, amber color, with a very nice head that retained well.

Aromas were subtle, not much going on there.

Taste was good. Reminded me a lot of an excellent British Pale. This beer is pretty mellow, yet quite drinkable. Has a great malty backbone, with just a hint of hops to make it interesting.

3.12/5  rDev -12.6%

My good friend went to St. Louis and brought me back a variety six pack. Neat rustic labeling with "Bottled With Love on "AUG012006".

Poured clear & coppery with a nice white head and chunky lacing. Smelled and tasted of sweet and nutty malts with a smallest hint of hops on the nose - but not in my mouth. This is a relatively simple, medium-bodied English Pale - with no real thrills, in my opinion.

I would consider this a decent session beer to enjoy if I lived in St. Louis...

Looking forward to trying the remainder of my sixer...

3.15/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a solid amber color with a thin, off-white head and doesn't persist long. Spotty lacing in the pint. Nose is caramel malts and flowery hops. Smells well-balanced. Palate is malty and slightly sweet. The hops assert themselves and save this from being overly malty for the style. Mouthfeel is lighter than medium and there seems to be barely enough carbonation to keep it "lively." A decent English style Pale Ale.

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a warm golden body that is clear with a nice spongy off-white head and a slow gentle carbonation.

S- The smell of pale malt was pretty clean with a faint toasted note in the background. There was a light hop hint that was almost lemony mostly a green hop smell.

T- The light taste of pale malt was very smooth with a faint caramel sweetness in the background. The finish was a nice smooth hop with hints of pine and a tangy grapefruit note. It had a light flavor but good flavor.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a bit of a watery texture in the finish. This gave the hops a more mild finish.

D- This was an interesting beer and I would not have described this as a Pale Ale if I didn't say it on the menu. Smooth and interesting but it would be nice to have a bit more flavor.

3.03/5  rDev -15.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a hefe glass. Very nice bright white head, 2 fingers or more. Receded to a medium lace, moderate stickiness. Color is a standard golden-amber. Smell seems off for a Pale Ale, almost lager-y. It's little sour and yeasty. Taste is a very, very mild hops, more sour than bitter. There is also a bready malt notes. Mouthfeel is light in body, almost to the point of being watery. Moderate carbonation. Despite this not working very well as a pale ale, I can see this as a great hot weather beer. Good for working in the yard. I may grab some after mowing.

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Solid golden color with a nice beige head that sticks for a bit and nice carbonation. Solid earthy hop character on the nose and in flaovr with a decent malt balance all around. Definitely English in style. Medium bodied with a dry bitter hop finish.

A solid English Pale Ale but not my favorite style.

Label States: "British Style Ale"

Bottled: 01/17/06
Tasted: 02/27/06

($6.69 / 6-pack)

3.47/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

One of my favorites, yes it is a bit inconsistent, but when they nail it, Schlafly really nails it. This is hoppy, yet balanced and I could drink every day (if I could afford it). Absolutely delicious, especially when on tap, it is a wonder to enjoy. RERATE: After having this many times, and many, many other beers I've come to the conclusion that this is a good training wheels beer, and still a solid session ale, but not as great as I'd remembered it.

2.91/5  rDev -18.5%

Autumnal harvest orange. Microscopic head and lace.

Nose is a weird - and not so enticing - combination of cardboardy malt and plastic yeast esters. Rotting leaves. Copper. Toast.

Nice if generic malt flavors reign on the taster, and nothing more than a kiss of the most modest noble hops. Very pedestrian.

They say every brewer makes a pale ale...this example goes to show that even good brewers can - and do - make mediocre pale ales from time to time.

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

The bronze to orange sunset color is nice.
My bottle poured a full 1 inch head with a fine steam of bubbles.

Found some malt and grain in the noise but struggled, honestly, to pick up hop character even as I let this warm up.

The taste, honestly, was somewhere in that nowhere land as well.
I had a hard time calling this a pale ale; perhaps my own confusion between English and American? It doesn't match up to cross state brother Boulevard pale or certainly to SNPA et al.

This is drinkable but not distinctive- continuing my love and confusion relationship with Schlafly that might only be resolved when I travel cross state to visit her family!

3.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Hand-delivered from St. Louis to Moscow (thanks, Jeremy), this brown 12 oz bottle has a brown and beige label featuring just the name printed on what looks like parchment. No ingredient information. Bottled 8/2/05, I opened it on 1/4/06.

Pours clear copper under a one finger off-white head that fades slowly but surely to thick film and collar, leaving a few decent strands of lace. Nice grain and spice nose, with a rye bread note to it. The mouth is reasonably heavy but very well carbonated. Mild flavors here - nothing jumps out - with a good smooth mix of semi-sweet malt and espresso bitter hops. The hops particularly emerge as it warms. There's a bite in the finish, but it is very quick, fading immediately to a shadow of coffee dryness. I didn't like the first couple of sips, but grew to enjoy it immensely.

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

Red Orange tone with a great pale top. Good hints of citrus and a floral aroma.
Taste is very good and not like the tapped selection. Mellow hop bite with a side of malt. Clean fresh mouthfeel that left a good citrus taste. I'm going to get another six of this before I leave.

On a side not I have converted a BudMilCoors drinker with this beer. He used to be a non-believer until I gave him one of these.

3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer pours a dark amber and has a sudsy head. It has more hops presence than a lager but less than a regular ale ale-type ale. In fact it's a good midstep to the austere British ales that non-beer-drinkers usually shy away from. My theory is that a person needs to learn to enjoy a brew such as this and then the leap to Strong Ale won't be so great. I didn't have a problem with that type of jump, but I'm an an oddball... the drinkability is superb for a brew that has a relatively heavy mouthfeel. Aparently Schlafly is the only brew to be served in Busch Stadium aside from Anheiser-Busch beers (St. Louis, MO). This brew really made me a believer in the midwest brew selection. Hopefully I can get this stuff in Jersey. It's about this same price as Yuengling, but at many times the quality.

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

6-21-2005 bottling date. This pale ale has a clear amber color with a tight, off white head. Mild smell of floral hops and caramel malts. Medium bodied and lightly carbonated. Has a mildly sweet caramel flavor with a subtle hop taste and bitterness to finish.
Nothing to rave about here, just a decent drinkable pale ale.

3.73/5  rDev +4.5%

yum, yum, yum!

This Pale Ale is much better than their American Pale Ale.

It was nice and hoppy (could have been more hoppy) but it had crispness. body, and ballance.

Nice body. Great color. Nice Hop bight with a nice crisp finish. It went well with the St. Louis BBQ I was eating.

These guys need to go to the big brewery downtown and teach them a few things.

I'll be looking for this on the shelf of my home town beer store.

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beer came to me a bronze color with orange around the sides. Medium head held for a bit. Aroma was citrusy with slight honey characteristics. The flavors on the tongue were sweeter in the honey dept. Citrus was low but a new toasted malt character came in. Finish was sweet, too sweet and held. This beer was simply too sweet for my liking with nothing to balance. I liked it a lot more at first sip than when I finished my pint.

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Schlafly's beers recently made their way all the way from St. Louis to Kansas City on the west side of Missouri. From what I've seen so, far, they should be welcomed!

The Pale Ale pours a nice orangeish-amber with a cream-colored foam head, which falls pretty quickly, but does leave a small amount of lace.

The aroma is lightly malty/bready with some floral hop presence.

The neck band claims that this is an English-style pale ale, and to some degree it is. The hop flavors, however, have an American citrus presence. Slightly more hoppy than a typical English pale. Gentle bitterness. There is a hint of malt sweetness, and some bready notes. Seems to me that this kind of straddles the line between an English and an American pale ale... but I like it!

Average mouthfeel. Has the higher carbonation level of an American pale ale, and I think it works OK here.

Very drinkable, and would probably make an excellent transition beer to introduce a macro drinker to craft beers. Goes very well with food!

Overall, a very nice pale ale.

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours clear orange into the glass with a moderate white head that dissipates but leaves a lacing that hangs on for dear life. Some coarse smell of hops, a little citrus, a little toasty smell. Taste is nice and mildly hoppy. Again a little citrus with a touch of coarseness, and a tiny bit of breadiness underneath. Feels medium full in the mouth with typical carbonation. Drinks easily- although not the highest on my list for pale ales, it is easy to have quite a few in a session...

2.7/5  rDev -24.4%

12 oz bottle
Bottled on Jan 25 2005

Grainy/Straw malt, and light flowery/perfumey hops in the nose. Doughy.

Average creamy off white head. Faded slowly to and ring with some lacing. hazy amber.

Bitter all the way through. A tough a sweetness. Could use more.

Medium bodied. Pretty dry with livly carbonation. Kind of puckering.

Not a fan

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Hazy orange/amber color with a decent ivory head that dissipates fairly quickly leaving only a trace of lace.

The aroma is fairly mild, just a hint of sweet malt, a bit of apple and some floral hops.

The taste is the same, mild sweet malt flavor overlayed by some nice citrus hops bite. A bit of grapefruit in the finish and aftertaste. Decently balanced, although a bit more hops than the English style.

Very drinkable and refreshing, a good overall brew.

3.51/5  rDev -1.7%

Largely clear, dull amber-gold in hue, the head was basically white in color, it was served with almost two fingers worth of foam. It was very frothy. I was surprised with the head size and look and I had to feel the glass as soon as the waitress set it down to see if it was actually from the hand pump. It was. The appearance, on the whole, is unremarkable aside from the really good head retention. There was some subsequent lacing, which was webby and unorganized. The nose was dull, especially for a cask beer, I was expecting a bit more brightness. All I got was a smattering of herbal and weak citrus zest from the hops. Nothing, including that, jumped out at me. The malt base wasn’t anything special, IMO; this is a big “flaw” for an English Pale Ale. I have to say this bouquet is neutral, the potency I slow, and thus disappointing. The palate is solid; it offers itself in a very favorable way in the sense I want to drink a lot of it. However this beer is better when I didn’t think about it. When I turn my “beer brain” on I get very little enjoyment in drinking it. I fail to taste much in the way of malt complexity (I get some juiciness and some caramel but this beer is desperately in need of some biscuits), I get little in the way of yeasty residue or much of a hoppy bite let alone flavor (I get just a kiss of citrus and some earthy herbal notes). The palate is tame. The palate, nevertheless, is very likable. When I just drank it without thinking about it I sailed through my pint, in other words, this beer is friendly as all hell. Maybe that is a backhanded compliment. Medium in body with low carbonation and it has that typical cask-conditioned mouthfeel. Pleasant. Like I said, this beer is very drinkable and drinkability is its strongest aspect. It is session beer worthy… until I paid attention to it. Overall, it is a decent beer and a better quaff. I sampled it at the Tap Room in St. Louis.

Note: I tried this on-tap around St. Louis, the nose was no better, the palate was improved but the mouthfeel was too carbonated. I didn’t take proper notes on these versions so this is the best I can do.

3.33/5  rDev -6.7%

Finally got to sample a cask beer at the TapRoom. MUCH different that from the bottle. Still poured an amber/ruby with lite head. The taste (compared to the bottle version) was much more citus, milder on the hops, carbonation next to nothing – almost to the point that it was flat. Cellar temperature lead to a smooth pull through the pint. Will need a few more the next time at Taproom for further review.

4.18/5  rDev +17.1%

Sampled at the brewpub (Tap Room), Dec. 2004.

This pale ale poured a hazy, copper color with very white foam that persisted. The smell was malty with a nice floral hop aroma. The taste was mildly malt with a good dose of floral hops and a bit of hoppiness. Overall a mild but balanced flavor. The mouthfeel was smooth and dry and relatively clean with medium body and low carbonation. This was a very nice English pale ale from cask. This beer was much better from a cask than I recall it on-tap.

Schlafly Pale Ale from The Schlafly Tap Room