Schlafly Coffee Stout - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Coffee StoutSchlafly Coffee Stout

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  5.70% ABV

Our Coffee Stout is a classic combination of a traditional stout and premium French roast coffee from St. Louis roaster, Kaldi’s Coffee. Roasted barley and coffee dominate the aroma, with the sweetness from the stout balancing the acidity of the coffee. We use a unique cold toddy extraction process to brew a less acidic coffee for the beer.

In the 1990’s, Kaldi’s staff started visiting the Schlafly Tap Room, asking for a pint of stout and a shot of espresso. Both Schlafly and Kaldi’s realized this was a match made in beer heaven, and soon started working together to find the perfect coffee blend to mix with our Oatmeal Stout. This collaboration continues today, with regular tastings to perfect the Coffee Stout.

(Beer added by: maxpower on 11-11-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly Coffee Stout Alström Bros

jdtinthelbc, Jan 28, 2012

DrRei, Aug 11, 2014
1.13/5  rDev -70.4%

The beer's appearance was very dark and oily with a frothy, bone-colored head. The nose on the beer, from my snifter immediately seemed very off, possibly infected or spoiled in some way. It smelled musky and savory, rotten. The flavor was similar to the taste, as expected, and very watery. I also noticed that the label says stout with artificial coffee added. I probably would not have bought it if I saw that initially too. It's a shame - I don't see much Schlafly beer in the stores around my area, which is why I picked this up. I'm sure this batch was bad or possibly just this bottle got oxygen in it or something. I poured the entirety of it down the drain.

Neorebel, Dec 16, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -67.3%

Poured from a bottle dated "Dec. 4, 2006." The beer was dark-amber/brownish with no head.

Nose: day-old coffee grounds, burnt dark toffee, and a slight sweetness.

Taste/mouthfeel: Slightly sticky, very watery, no carbonation, with a slight taste of toasted malt. Aftertaste was of cold, day-old coffee with a very bad lingering quality.

After pouring what was left down the sink, my buddy and I looked it up on this site. Judging by what's been said by others, we really hope that we had a bad bottle.

Blupoet03, Jul 18, 2007
1.38/5  rDev -63.9%

I had one of the best coffee and beer combinations ever. It was Red Hook's Double Espresso stout and it is miles above what Tom Schlafly is calling a coffee stout. The smell of coffee is vaguely present. I often use the toddy method to brew my morning coffee and it is a great method. The method is wasted in this brew. I may have gotten a bad six-pack but I live in St. Louis and grabbed a six as soon as it came available at my local mega mart. The brew had decent color but the nose was sour, the taste spicy in a puckering kinda way, and the finish was lackluster.

sutcliff, Mar 11, 2005
1.93/5  rDev -49.5%

Make no mistakes this is a coffee stout! Other coffee stouts use some really expensive mocha, espresso, starbucks. Not this monster. This smells and tastes like the coffee grinds left in the filter from your local Quick Stop. If you’re a die hard daily multiple cup, cheap coffee drinker,then this is your beer. The appearance and mouthfeel was fine, I just didn’t like the strength and flavor of the coffee used. Worth a try.

FtownThrowDown, Dec 01, 2006

HopsintheSack, Nov 20, 2012

A - A very thin, dark brown, minimal off-white head with no lacing
S - Damp grass, burnt coffee, slight caramel, but all very weak
T - A burnt charcoal taste, very bland, no hops, appropriate for the style but just really uninteresting
M - Over-carbonated for the style, with a rather weak chin
O - Not impressed and completely lacks any character

Sidenote: I tried this same beer in the tap-room at the brewery, and it was if I remember correctly, loads better. Maybe this particular beer just suffered in the bottle.

yaegerje, Apr 12, 2011
2.1/5  rDev -45%

A - A thin but tight head sits atop a pitch-black brew, and some lacing sticks to the glass.

S - Chocolate covered espresso beans. Since I am a coffee lover and confirmed caffeine addict, I think that this smells great. The only problem is that it's pretty one-demensional...it smells like a good steaming cup of espresso, but that's about it.

T - Old stale coffee. Geez, I love beer...I love coffee. Why don't these two things ever seem to go together? I guess cold and fizzy and warm and steamy will never be a match made in heaven.

M - Thin and extremely carbonated. I think that a coffee flavored beer would benefit from an almost complete lack of carbonation along with a thick and full body. Aren't most cappacinos, lattes, mocha-chino-nonfat-double-latte-whatevers pretty damn thick and creamy?

D - Poor. This is no good.

pmcadamis, Mar 06, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

SpAiReArGsEonNE, Dec 18, 2013
2.33/5  rDev -39%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Delivered from a friend near St. Louis 02/15/09.

Appearance: Pours a nice black with a creamy, cappucino colored one head. Appears to be quite carbonated for a stout.

Smell: Acrid and sour. Some roasted malt and coffee.

Taste: Acidic sourness throughout initial tastes and subsequent sips. Roasted malt provides some stout-like qualities, but this does not taste like advertised on bottle.

Overall: My assumption is I received a mishandled or bad bottle, but that is not a reflection on the brewery as I very much enjoyed the Schlafly Winter ESB. Will retry when I can get my hands on another bottle.

Birchgrove77, Mar 07, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

bilhelm, Jan 27, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

IndyDad, Jun 22, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -32.5%

Poured a black opaque color with a two inch beige head forming on top. A strong coffee aroma hits the nose right off the bat, followed by softer scents of chocolate and dark malt. The taste starts with the malt being ever present, with a tad bit of chocolate. The coffee tries very hard to become a fixture in the flavor as it was in the aroma, but it falls very short. A slightly thick mouthfeel, feels alot like skim milk, it finishes dry at the back of the palate. This became a bit of a disappointment, the color and aroma are very endearing, but the taste drags down what those two elements set up. This was just a lackluster beer.

cameraman, Aug 01, 2007
2.58/5  rDev -32.5%

Quite a forgettable coffee stout, not so much for its thin feel, but for its burnt and acidic coffee notes.

Presentation: 12 oz brown capped bottle. Brown label with orange and light cream touches with the Schlafly branding. Offers a general description of the brew and intent on the neck label, including recognition to Kaldi´s fair trade coffee, and bragging about its deliciousness. Shows date of bottling (01 04 2001). Served in a tulip glass.

A - Dark brown pour with ruby brown edges. Nice ecru frothy head, fair retention and some lacing.

S - Burnt coffee nose, not particularly enticing or fresh.

T - More burnt coffee in the palate, with an acidic touch, some malty sense in the distant undercurrent... In essence this feels like bad - or not my kind of - coffee.

M - Medium-light to light body, small carbonation. It feels a tad watery and not particularly smooth, with that acidic bitterness in the finish.

O - Barely drinkable, too acidic and burnt a coffee to make it work with that base.

Notes: I do like Schlafly, and some of their offerings are amongst my favorites but here... This is by far the worst I´ve had from them. Maybe it is a matter of taste but while not despicable this is in the bottom bracket of coffee-oatmeal stouts I´ve tried.

Daniellobo, Apr 04, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -31.2%

Bottle courtesy of Nick by way of Justin after grabbing some beer from St. Louis on his most recent trip home. Thanks guys! Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A: Dark brown with some very obvious reddish/amber undertones towards the bottom of the glass. Somewhat clear though it's certainly dark enough to not see completely through. A huge frothy beige head forms and sticks around for quite some time. Nice slow dissipation with great retention and some nice lace.

S: Faint roasted coffee beans, cream, chocolate malts and a touch of vanilla on the back end. Nothing terribly aromatic though I guess it meets the criteria for what it's billed to be. It sort of reminds me of the Samuel Adams Black & Brew but much more muted.

T: Coffee is immediate up front and it doesn't necessarily taste "stale" but it's not that fresh coffee flavor. These bottles are fresh so I'm not sure what they were going for. Roasted beans, certainly nice amount of chocolate coming through with perhaps some caramel to round it out. The back palate has a bitterness that sticks around into the linger, giving it a bit of dryness. Boring, bland and something is off.

M: Extremely thin and watery, wow that's very disappointing. Dry in the finish with a lingering bitterness. I understand the ABV is on the low end but this is just way too thin.

Not a terrible beer but completely forgettable, and not enjoyable enough for me to finish. Nothing I'd ever revisit again unless it's on draft. I do enjoy Coffee Stouts when they're done correctly, and sadly for Schlafly this was not.

ShanePB, Dec 09, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Midnight black beer, no light gets through. Decent lacing on the way down. A good, but not great, looking beer.

Tan head is pretty thin. Beer smells like roasted malts & espresso & chocolate. Not strong enough, I'd like a little stronger smell.

I don't enjoy the taste that much. It's a little artificial somehow, like you took a stout and injected it with syrupy iced espresso artificial flavoring. I like stouts and I like coffee, so I thought I'd like this more. There isn't enough stout flavor here - the roasted malt flavor is lacking compared to others.

Somehow the mouthfeel is a little off - instead of thick and creamy stout, it's a little too watery, lending it a syrupy character. Just slightly off.

Not terrible, but not looking forward to the rest of the 6-pack.

jar2574, Nov 06, 2011

pooogy, Feb 22, 2013

Dag95, Jul 05, 2014

craftbrew502, Jan 07, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -26.7%

Deep dark stout with typical English flavors of chocolate and caramel malts... with a twist of coffee flavor that you can smell and taste. Drinkable on certain occasions. I would say you would have to be in "that rare special mood" to crave one of these.
The problem I had with this beer was the carbonation is almost nil....
No head, no bubbles, not alot of mouth excitement.
I guess you could say this might be typical for a stout, but it really made the beer seem flat and dead. There are to many other great stouts on the market for me to rank this any higher.

Steedee, Nov 20, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into glass.
Bottled on: 12/8/2010

Aroma: Coffee grounds after a freshly-brewed batch. Wet, earthy topsoil followed by cocoa.
Appearance: 1.5 fingers of head dissipates relatively quickly, but clings to the inside of the glass. Light rings of lacing remain on the side of the glass. The beer itself is dark ruby brown--lighter than I'd anticipated for an oatmeal stout.
Taste: Roasted coffee (more like a middle-of-the-road pre-ground brand than the bold coffee house type...), hoppy bitterness, followed by subtle Tootsie Roll sweetness. Flavor dissipates quickly at the end.
Mouthfeel: Very thin for this style. The label says it's an oatmeal stout, but it more resembles a porter, or even a darker brown ale. I've had this beer on draught at the Tap Room a few times, and I remember it having more body than this. Carbonation is a bit on the biting side as well.
Drinkability: On a positive note, this beer is highly sessionable. Unfortunately, I was looking for something with more substance. I could enjoy quite a few of these, but I'd rather have one glass of a more complex, fuller-bodied stout.

mdvatab, Mar 11, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -25.9%

A: Pours black with about a finger and a half of light tan head. The head quickly recedes into a thin cap with a little lacing.

S: Some dark roasted malt and coffee. It lacks the deep, rich roasted coffee aromas that I expect from the best coffee stouts.

T: Similar to the aroma, there is some roasted malt up front followed by the coffee. The aftertaste is slightly bitter and the coffee doesn't taste all that great.

M: Medium body and carbonation. The body is kind of watery and lacks the creaminess expected of an oatmeal stout is missing.

D: Goes down fairly smooth, but the lack of creaminess and watery body make it not entirely pleasant.

Overall, not a horrible beer, but there are far, far better coffee stouts out there.

n2185, Feb 21, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

pint at the brewpub. looks ok. head gone very quickly. black. served too cold to have much odor. taste is really, really bland, at least for what i was expecting. too yeasty and not really coffee flavored at all. tastes more like an oatmeal stout i made where the yeast went wild and overwhelmed the beer. dont need to have this again. no thanks.

aforbes10, Mar 20, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -22%

The beer guy at the local said this stuff was flying out cases at a time so I had to buy a sixer. This was my first coffee-tinged beer experience, although some stouts I've had taste like they have coffee in them.

The appearance is good as it pours virtually all black with a little ruby peeking through in the middle of the glass from the light of the tv. The fluffy head shrinks pretty quickly. Lacing is not consistent.

The smell is kind of earthy, with the coffee grinds shining through more than anything else. There's no doubting the special ingredient in this ale. It is kind of an expresso coffee aroma, strong and direct.

The taste is rather one-sided. It's coffee. The malt roastiness that I love about stouts and porters is somewhat missing here. At best it has the roastiness of a black lager, which is fine if you are having a black lager like Sam Adams' excellent one. But this is a stout so it needs more of that rich, warm, deep, tobacco-ish flavour. Plus, here the bitterness is coming from the coffee, not hops. It only has a hint of sweetness at the end in the middle of the tongue but it flattens out and turns oily.

The mouthfeel is thin for a stout. And the drinkability is down. One is fine but I can't see having more than one at a time given the potent, bitter coffee flavour. There is no lingering mouth puckering hops bitterness hanging around either. Not a bad beer, but could use some fine tuning.

etenbus, Jan 04, 2007