Schlafly Coffee Stout - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 11-11-2001

Our Coffee Stout is a classic combination of a traditional stout and premium French roast coffee from St. Louis roaster, Kaldi’s Coffee. Roasted barley and coffee dominate the aroma, with the sweetness from the stout balancing the acidity of the coffee. We use a unique cold toddy extraction process to brew a less acidic coffee for the beer.

In the 1990’s, Kaldi’s staff started visiting the Schlafly Tap Room, asking for a pint of stout and a shot of espresso. Both Schlafly and Kaldi’s realized this was a match made in beer heaven, and soon started working together to find the perfect coffee blend to mix with our Oatmeal Stout. This collaboration continues today, with regular tastings to perfect the Coffee Stout.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly Coffee Stout Alström Bros
4.97/5  rDev +30.4%

pours a deep deep brown with a creamy tan head. smells like a good coffee with a hit of malt. the taste is really good its exactly what i would want my perfect cup of coffee to taste like if i poured in a good stout. really like the mouth feel and its amazingly drinkable i could drink this instead of my few cups of joe in the am but i dont think work would like that too much... i recomend this to everyone....very good job schlafly

4.96/5  rDev +30.2%

Taste: Excellent full flavor, combines a strong stout (akin to the Oatmeal Stout brewed by Schlafly) with a robust local dark roast coffee. No overly sweet aftertaste or bitterness from the coffee. Delicious all the way through. Bold and slightly creamy texture.

Smell: Coffee notes, toasted malts.

*Minor complaint: Sometimes does not hold head when poured out in a glass. I recommend drinking straight from the bottle.

4.9/5  rDev +28.6%

Almost pitch black with a nice beige/light brown head that lasts. Prominent intense roasted coffee bean aroma and flavor ... wow coffee, coffee, coffee like a cup was dumped in my stout. Light-medium bodied with a dry roasty bitter coffee finish.

Beer is for breakfast now !! Excellent beer and I don't really like coffee...

Per Label: "Oatmeal stout with natural flavor added uses locally roasted Kaldi's Coffee" "Kaldi's Coffee Roasting Co."

Per SLB website: 5.7% ABV. OG: 14. IBU: 40

Bottled: 01/31/06
Tasted: 07/28/06

($6.69 / 6-pack)

4.69/5  rDev +23.1%

This beer pours dark brown with a creamy head. The head fades somewhat quickly leaving few laces. As soon as the beer is poured, you are assulted by a very strong coffee aroma. Hidden is a malty aroma, but the coffee aroma is dominant. It tastes very coffee like. I guess that is because it is a coffee stout. It tastes just like cold coffee with alcohol. It is very impressive. Other coffee stouts only have a mild coffee flavor, but this one has very strong flavors. It leaves a coffee taste in the mouth. It is rather pleasent. It is carbonated just right. This beer would be a great session beer. It is very tasty and it doesnt have too much alcohol. If I could get this beer where I live, I would drink it all the time. The rating it has doesnt give it justice.

4.63/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A - Dark brown with no head.

S - Simply put smells like coffee...as it should!

T - This is by far the best "coffee stout" that I have tasted. Many stouts and porters have "hints" of coffee among other flavors. To me it tasted like I was drinking a delicious iced coffee...if you like coffee you will love this beer. However, this is only for coffee lovers, if you are only an occasional coffee drinker this probably won't be the stout for you.

M - Smooth with minimal carbonation. Certainly not a chore to drink.

O - I think I covered it in "taste" but I had this on tap a week ago and craved it all week. I manged to find the last 6-pack in one of my local spots and while the bottle isn't quite the experience the tap was, I would still recommend this beer to all lovers of stouts and coffee.

4.57/5  rDev +19.9%

This one poured a very dark brown with a fluffy off white head that quickly dissipated. The smell was amazing. I love Starbucks and coffee altogether so this one is great. There is also some sweet caramel malts and milk chocolate in there as well. The taste is slightly sweet chocolate and a robust espresso. The coffee is not dominate which is good for this. There is an amazing balance between all the flavors which make it a great brew. If the coffee was overpowering it would just be coffee and not beer. The mouthfeel was a little thin. I would have liked this to have a little bit more of a creamy texture. Maybe I should put some half and half in it. Overall I am impressed and would like to have another.

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%

This is an outstanding brew!!! Got it as part of a trade from wcudwight who got it from dertbert. Thanks to these guys.

Wow!! I don't know where to begin with this beer. Poured out the color of a very dark porter. Not totally black but almost. A thin head with little lacing. The smell is of roasted oatmeal and coffee. The taste is incredible. You first notice the oatmeal with a coffee taste left for the finish. The mouthfeel is very smooth. Nothing detracts from this brew. The only thing keeping me from driving to St. Louis to get a case is I am kinda tired. But I am thinking of calling in sick in the morning. So you could say I think this is a worthwhile beer. I will cross paths with this brew again.

4.52/5  rDev +18.6%

I poured this Schlafly's Coffee Stout from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The first thing you notice is great carbonation that explodes into a creamy white head. Decent head retention. The color of the Stout is a shade less then pitch black. This Coffee Stout has an Oatmeal Stout as a base and it is brewed with locally roasted Kaldi's Coffee. The aroma is wonderful. If you are a coffee lover, this is the perfect fusion of beer and coffee. As you drink the foam clings to the glass. This beer tastes like it smells, balanced, with the taste of coffee and slight hints of chocolate. Best Coffee based beer I have had- I think this is The Saint Louis Brewery's greatest victory. The only problem is that this is a seasonal beer. I could drink this year around. Now if I can only get my employer to put this on tap next to the coffee pot! Prost!

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.
A - Nearly opaque black in color. Some red tinges when held up to the light. 1 finger tan head that dissipates very quickly.
S - Mostly cold espresso.
T - Predominant flavor of cold espresso. Some chocolate and darkl roasted malt. Finishes very clean.
M - Light and surprisingly crisp. Carbonation is just right.
D - This is the epitome of drinkable. Light and refreshing with excellent coffee flavor. This one of my favorite session beers. At @ $7.50 six pack it's very affordable.

4.49/5  rDev +17.8%

Dark black with a thin tan head; a massive blast of coffee beans on the nose, a comparison to walking into a crowded coffee shop where everyone is drinking dark roasted java. Ok. Coffee beans noted up front; espresso, burnt malts, pretty creamy and just a bit dry. A bit of a watery palate; yet there is a full mouthfeel with the feeling of fresh brewed java on the tongue. Coffee dominated all the way; I need to know right now – You’re in or You’re out? I’m in. The folks at Schlafly have once again delivered!

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%

To start off, I'm not a coffee drinker, so if I was a coffee drinker, I would imagine this beer would have scored even better.

Pours a thick creamy head. Dark brown in color, looks like a man's beer.

Smells like it should...the coffee smell is robust, with a bit of malt in the background.

As you would expect, the mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. The taste of the coffee isn't overwhelming like in the nose.

This beer provides a very attractive lacing. The finish is as smooth as they come. The bitter hops and bitter coffee seem to act to offset one another, for a creamy, almost sweet finish.

Schlafly is becoming my favorite brewer. This is my 5th or 6th variety, and I'm still haven't had one that wasn't exceptional.

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%

Oh hell yeah, that is what I needed tonight, a rich, decadent coffee beer. My favorite of beer styles, though it is not really a style. This twelve ounce beauty was served lightly chilled and poured into my pint glass. Consumed on 12/11/2008.

The pour was really wonderful. Rich and completely black with no light coming through here at all. Huge tan head settled down just a tocuh leaving a ton of side glass lace alll over the place.

The smell, rich coffee aroma with a light hint of roasted malts and a touch of grain. As it warmed some light hints of molasses started to come through as well. The taste though, is why I love coffee and beer. Rich. Bitter. Dry. Totally and completely emerged in a huge coffee flavor from the very first sip. This had a really nice mellow brew flavor to it, not really harshm with a fine prickly carbonation that was smooth and subtle. Really very well done. Nice dry, slightly biter finish sealed the deal for me as this one was one of the most drinkable beers I have had in a very long time.

Overall I was floored by how good this one was. One of the best coffee beers i have had and really just a shining moment of the night for me. This was damn good.

4.47/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours black. No light shines through. Small brown head that dissapates rather quickly. Moderate lacing. Smells of a rich dark coffee, and maybe some roasted malts in there. Taste is where this beer excels. Deep roasted malt flavor. Dark rich coffee. And a bit of a toast taste give this an exceptional flavor. Feels thick rich and crisp in the mouth. I could drink these all day. Of the beers I received in the trade from Dertbert this is the biggest suprise and my favorite so far. I love stouts and this is an excellent one.

4.45/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2006 vintage

Poured a 12 oz into my 0.4 L rastal tulip stuck my nose into the glass and I was back in St. Louis's Kaldi with Greg - their skilled roastemaster wating for the second crack before emptying the 75 lbs of hot beans to air dry. This flavor and aroma has been embellished over '05 vintage. I am sending a couple of my California homebrewers some beans along with a cold toddy recipe and am hoping they have the solid oatmeal stout recipes similar to Schlafly's to support the huge coffee flavor and aroma.

4.43/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured into a standard unchilled beer glass.
A-Looks as a Coffee stout should. Dark and foamy like a delicious undertaking for this type of rare brew.
S-Smells of two different formats mixed perfectly. The strong smell of Kaldi's Coffee is definitely dominant and as a St. Louis native it is very welcome.
T-As a lover of two different types of beverage only (those being coffee and beer), I can say this is the perfect marriage. I am probably biased since Kaldi loans such a delicious blend to this beer. This is truly a unique and delicious coffee that anyone who appreciates good coffee should try.
M-Perfectly carbonated and I don't know how they achieved this. As someone who has attempted a coffee stout in brewing, I can say that it doesn't lend itself to good carbonation. Forced carbonation must be present here.
D-I personally found it very drinkable one after another. The delicious blend of well made beer and delicious coffee is perfect for my palate.
Overall-This is a uniquely delicious beer that any lover of coffee and beer should not pass up. By far one of the best interpretations of a coffee stout that I have seen.

4.42/5  rDev +16%

Very dark brown to black in color, and opaque; it looks like coffee in the glass. There are powerful fresh ground espresso bean aromas framed by faint, bittersweet dark chocolate. Flavors are predominantly dark-roasted espresso, with some dark chocolate and cola profiles. Medium carbonation for a pleasing mouth feel, with a very long finish of roasted coffee bean and bitter malt. This is very drinkable because it is not overly sweet, syrupy or alcoholic for its style.

4.42/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sampling right now on 3/25/15. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a snifter glass.

Brew pours close to a pitch black in color with a good 1-finger foamy beige head. Lots of lacing is seen when sipped that sticks to the sides of the glass. The aroma is of dark roasted malts with some fresh roasted and ground coffee beans. Very nice. The taste is pretty much the same with a nice flavor of coffee that is not strong or overpowering like some coffee stouts I have tried. Very smooth and goes down easy. No strong, no bitter and no harsh aftertaste at all. A great Coffee Stout! Medium-bodied with lower carbonation.

4.4/5  rDev +15.5%

This serving of Schlafly Coffee Stout was bottled October 5, 2006, and purchased at the Party Source accross the river from Cincinnati. The stout was black with ruby accents and a very tall light tan head. The aroma had notes of cocoa and toffee, but coffee provided the most notable smells. Flavor was loaded with espresso with a hint of chocolate and a nice bitter finish. The body of the beer had a light almost airy quality, but still had some depth.

I am intrigued by this stout. It's both flavorful and approachable. It's a sessionable coffee stout. This is the first Schlafly product I've bought, and it's made a good first impression on this beer advocate.

4.37/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle. The brew pours a deep brown to almost black color with a faint ruby highlite around the edges. The head is massive, working up to 3 fingers tall. It leaves really nice lace as it falls to about a finger over top. There is little to no carbonation working up the sides of my glass. The aroms on this one is all about the coffee. It smells like a nice moderate roast coffee with a hint of sweetness and creamyness from the oatmeal stout base. This one really smells a lot like freshly ground coffee. I like it. The flavor brings the same intensity of coffee that I found in the aroma. This carries all the way through the beer. The aftertaste presents a mild creamy oat character with a mild roasted maltyness, but it definately screams coffee here. Mouthfeel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. It is a little slick from the oats, but nothing bad. I think this is an incredibly good coffee stout, with a ton of coffee in both the aroma and flavor. It is a bit one dimensional, but I think that is what makes this beer what it is. I am happy to have 4 more of these.

4.35/5  rDev +14.2%

Ruby highlights, off white pillow head that lasts...

My first sense, taste-wise, was a background oatmeal chewiness. I didn't know it was an Oatmeal Stout. Sweet, but not quite Sweet Stout-ish. Aroma also sweet and espresso-ish. Espresso also in the taste. If I were to brew a crossover beer between Oatmeal, Coffee, Sweet and Robust, this is what I would brew. Nice chewy, slight sweet, with very, very slight sour. Little if no hops sense, but great moderate roast.

Perfect: they went exactly where they were headed. They designed a recipe and hit the target. Excellent.

4.34/5  rDev +13.9%

I am enjoying this greatly.
Nice creamy head, webbing to glass.
Wonderful coffee aroma!
Not overpowering, good blend, easy going down.
This one has a future in my fridge.

4.34/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Look: 4.25 - Looks a little like Dr. Pepper with an amber tint among all the blackness. Poured a thin head that dissipated quickly.

Smell: 4.5 - A wonderful smell of coffee, as to be expected. It isn't at all overpowering, but a nice, comfortable scent. Like walking into a coffee shop. This is probably what Kaldi's smells like. Nice.

Taste: 4.5 - Just like the nose, a wonderful coffee smell. Some people may actually like this over BS. BS is like, "have some of this extra dark roast coffee b***h!"; this is like a nice morning cup of joe. In beer form. Awesome stuff.

Feel: 3.5 - A little thin; I'd like it to be a little thicker. Very easy drinking.

Overall: 4.25 - Overall this is a delightful little coffee stout. It lives up to the name. B

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

Picked this up on a current trip to MO.
The beer is a coffee colored brew with a decent tan head that fades pretty quickly. The nose is over overwhelming coffee/espresso slight malty background to it. Great taste, slight bitter aftertaste. For a stout this is an extremely light body - normally, I would say this detracts from the beer, however the lighter body makes this beer great for a session. I will definitely need to have some of this shipped to me!

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

Served on-tap in a Shaker pint glass at Beer Run (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Black with small cap of light beige small-bubbled head which leaves a narrow line of lacing.

S: Big dark roasted aroma of coffee, almost like coffee grounds, with good accompaniment of roasted grain and dark malt as well. There is a light chocolate undercurrent as well.

T: The flavor is a dark roasted and roasted grain assault which I loved. The malt character is not entirely lost and is what provides the dark chocolate and light caramel sweetness that prevents this beer from being too bitter. The coffee component is very dark roasted/espresso-like in quality.

M: Mouthfeel is a little light but nothing wrong with it. Not too heavy and low carbonation with the oatmeal quality a little dampened by the coffee bitterness.

O: A really good coffee stout but I kept the Overall score in check because it is pretty one-dimensional -- but it is a really enjoyable dimension they bring in this brew.

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

Beer is almost black. The head has a nice "whipped" appearance to it. It's light brown in color. Fairly thin, but it sticks around for a while. Lacing is moderate. Great aroma on this one. Thick coffee roast smell. With black malts/chocolate malts in the mix too it seems. The nose translates nicely to the palate. Thick, dark roasted coffee tones. Sharp and acrid. But not harsh. I'm not actually a coffee drinker, but I do like coffee beers and this is no exceptioin. There is a nice little sweet accent to everything. Like a vanilla or milk sugar trait. Something of that sort anyway. The body is light to light-medium in stature. I wish it were fuller. Carbonation is appropriately held in check. This is an easy drinker and quite tasty.

Thanks MJR, for my first two Schlafly brews.

Schlafly Coffee Stout from The Schlafly Tap Room