Schlafly Coffee Stout - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 11-11-2001

Our Coffee Stout is a classic combination of a traditional stout and premium French roast coffee from St. Louis roaster, Kaldi’s Coffee. Roasted barley and coffee dominate the aroma, with the sweetness from the stout balancing the acidity of the coffee. We use a unique cold toddy extraction process to brew a less acidic coffee for the beer.

In the 1990’s, Kaldi’s staff started visiting the Schlafly Tap Room, asking for a pint of stout and a shot of espresso. Both Schlafly and Kaldi’s realized this was a match made in beer heaven, and soon started working together to find the perfect coffee blend to mix with our Oatmeal Stout. This collaboration continues today, with regular tastings to perfect the Coffee Stout.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly Coffee Stout Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to Mandy for this bottle.

Poured into a pint glass at 45 degrees.

Appearance. A monster 3 finger head that is tan and bubbly. The color of the beer is jet black . The clarity of the beer is opaque. There is some of the head clingy to the side of the glass.

Nose: A very nice roasted coffee, good toasted malt, and some molasses.

Taste: A very good coffee, toasted malt, some molasses, and a burnt character.

Overall: The mouth feel is kinda creamy and carbonated. The mouth feel is medium full and the finish lingers on the palate for a few moments. This is a pretty good coffee stout. It has a very nice flavor, rich in body, and some flavors linger in the end. You can't get anything beer would be good in the morning. You get your beer and your coffee in on swoop. (782 characters)

BrewCzar threw me this as an extra. Thanks!!

Pours a dark color with some transparent highlights when held up to light. Head leaves a full crown with decent lacing.

Scent is strongly of coffee beans. A hint of chocolate in the background. Smells good but a bit one dimensional.

Tastes of a coffee background, but not exactly like coffee. The stout makes itself known and makes for a pretty good mix. The relatively thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation work well here.

Overall, a good coffee stout, but I've got no reason to switch from Alesmith's Speedway. (562 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours dark brown to black...looks like coffee with small amount of tan head. Smell is of iced coffee, maybe mocha, something I really enjoy! Taste is good, iced coffee, chocolate, and a small amount of hops. Mouthfeel is good although I prefer a little thicker for this type of brew. Really only a one timer per night kinda beer but I do like this for a change of pace. (369 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -9.4%

Had on tap at the Schlafly Bottleworks before the brewery tour.

It poured dark brown with a little head into a small glass

the coffee stout smelled strongly of coffee, quite a bit more than I expected. It was somewhat overwhelming.

Tasted of strong coffee with hints of the oatmeal stout coming through.

It was a somewhat dry beer and left a somewhat bitter coffee feel in my mouth afterward, which i cured with some APA

I could not drink more than 1 of these in a night, I found it quite strong and dry, but I wouldn't mind on at all if it was an option.

Too much coffee for me, but if you like dark coffee and stouts, you will probably enjoy this. The tour guide said that drinking a pint of this has about 1 cup worth of coffee in it and i believe it. (762 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Pours a very dark brown and is completely opaque. There is a large tan colored head that has fairly god retention. Lacing is also present but not huge.

S - Roasted malt, coffee, and semi-sweet chocolate.

T - Chocolate sweetness upfront is almost bitter. Roasted coffee flavors are like a pot of coffee that has sat around until cold but kept all the flavor. Slight bitterness in the finish.

M - High carbonation, but a little watery.

D - Will I really enjoy this beer, I cannot have more than two at a time. The sweetness tends to linger on my palate and after two of these becomes overpowering. (604 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +2.1%

This is my go-to beer when I don't want to think about what to drink. I am not a coffee drinker but I love this beer. It looks, smells, and tastes just like coffee. I have had it on tap and in a bottle and it is consistently good. The aroma is deep and and rich. This beer is not bitter, but has a chocolaty sweetness that compliments the coffee flavor quite well. (364 characters)

One of the creamiest brews I've had on tap.. Its super smooth and creamy and dark and semi-delicious...I've had better coffee stout but this is a good rep of the style...its loaded with dark coffee flavors and aroma... So much so that I'm not sure I would care anything about sessioning this but it was a nice nightcap... (321 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Delivered from a friend near St. Louis 02/15/09.

Appearance: Pours a nice black with a creamy, cappucino colored one head. Appears to be quite carbonated for a stout.

Smell: Acrid and sour. Some roasted malt and coffee.

Taste: Acidic sourness throughout initial tastes and subsequent sips. Roasted malt provides some stout-like qualities, but this does not taste like advertised on bottle.

Overall: My assumption is I received a mishandled or bad bottle, but that is not a reflection on the brewery as I very much enjoyed the Schlafly Winter ESB. Will retry when I can get my hands on another bottle. (604 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -10.2%

Dark brown color. Medium beige head that was quick to fade to a thin skim. Scant lace. Smells of roasty caramel and coffee.

Good stuff. Tastes of medium roast coffee with faint roast malt in back. Watery sweetness similiar to English brown ales. A tad heavy on the carbonation which comes through in the mouth and swallow. (323 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks to dakid for this one.

A: Pours a light nutty brown hue with a nice creamy head. Okay retention with some very light spotty lace.

S: The aroma is big on fresh roasted coffee with a hint of caramel malt. Simple but good.

T: Not as bold as I had hoped, I like big extreme coffee stouts, but this one is on the more sessionable side which is not a bad thing. Nice light roasted coffee backed but toasted malt. Very light chocolate to round things out.

M: On the thinner side, with nice carbonation.

D: A sessionable coffee stout. To be honest I would like a touch more coffee though. (592 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottled 10.27.08

A - Dark brown, nice big thick head. Slowly reduces to disk. Clingy, sudsy lacing.

S - Big time coffee.

T - Again, huge coffee, roasted malt, some bits of cocoa.

M - Creamy and satifying.

D - I could session this one, easy yet interesting enough to hang on. (279 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%

To start off, I'm not a coffee drinker, so if I was a coffee drinker, I would imagine this beer would have scored even better.

Pours a thick creamy head. Dark brown in color, looks like a man's beer.

Smells like it should...the coffee smell is robust, with a bit of malt in the background.

As you would expect, the mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. The taste of the coffee isn't overwhelming like in the nose.

This beer provides a very attractive lacing. The finish is as smooth as they come. The bitter hops and bitter coffee seem to act to offset one another, for a creamy, almost sweet finish.

Schlafly is becoming my favorite brewer. This is my 5th or 6th variety, and I'm still haven't had one that wasn't exceptional. (729 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks to brewczar for the opportunity to try this one. Bottled on 12/5/2008 and served in a nonic. Poured three shades shy of black with deep maroon highlights around the base of the glass. Two inch, tight tan-colored head with excellent retention that left behinds thick bands of lacing as it receded. Roasted coffee dominates the nose with a slightly vegetal quality detected towards the back. Taste follows nose, but a little on the bland side and some residual espresso roast lightly lingers at the finish. Mouthfeel was somewhat light for the style without much of the chewiness I've come to associate with an oatmeal stout. Exceptional appearance and bold nose gives way to a somewhat muted representation of the style; easy drinking brew nonetheless. (758 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1%

A- Dark black. When held up to the light a ruby tint comes through. Cream colored head with decent retention.

A- Nice coffee aroma right off the bat. Bitter malt aromas in the background.

T- Lots of coffee flavor. Light bitterness behind the coffee flavor. Nice light coffee aftertaste.

M- Moderate to full body with moderate carbonation. Very creamy.

D- I was rather dreading this beer as I was never a big coffee fan, however this stout was amazing. There is a load of coffee flavor, however it really pairs well and tastes amazing. (538 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +1.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - Very dark in color - almost 100% opaque. You may be able to see a small amount of light on the edges. The head formation is light - almost only a film. The head is very light colored, opposite of many previous stouts. Carbonation inside the beer is light.

S - Am I at the coffee pot here? They certainly captured the essence of a fresh brew. Coffee smell is overt. A hair of coffee acidity exists on the nose- very pungent.

T - At first, the beer is fairly flavorless. There is a hair of roasted malt flavors that develop into some balanced bitterness. Some yeast spiciness exists in the background. There it is: the aftertaste is dominated by the harsh acidity and flavor of coffee.

M - A fairly thin body - not as thick as other American stouts - and too light for my taste. Carbonation creates a lighter beer than I would have expected for the style, or for the appearance.

D - Easy to drink from an ABV point of view. I do find the coffee style grows tiresome from its acidic assertiveness that makes this beer a limited session beer.

A solid offering - and if I were in the mood for a coffee stout, it would be on my list. At the end of the day, I would guess that this particular beer is just missing the body I would desire in a nice warming coffee stout. (1,301 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a dark brown, with a thick, creamy, tan colored head that has good retention and leaves some sticky lace on the glass. Strong aroma of coffee as one would expect and a touch of chocolate malt. The coffee flavors are very nice here, not too overpowering, good level of roasted bitterness. Pretty smooth mouthfeel with a good level of carbonation. This is a very good coffee stout. (385 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a cloudy, dark brown. 5/4 inch head with good retention and good lacing. Smells strongly of coffee (roasted malts). Fits the style. Smooth, bitter from the roasted malts, and average carbonation levels. Tastes of roasted malts (coffee) up front. Aftertaste is less bitter and more sweet (chocolate). Overall, this is a really nice example of a coffee stout. (363 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -6%

A - Rich, dark brown color with a creamy one to two inger light brown head. Decent retention and moderate lacing.

S - Rather weak aroma of roasted coffee and toasted bread. A little hoppy spiciness mixed in.

T - Notice more of a chocoalte sweetness initially before a somewhat muted coffee tastes comes in.

M/D - Very creamy and smooth. Easy drinking but the flavors just arent great. (388 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1%

poured into a mug. one finger tan head and deep black.

amell is rich chocolate malt and some espresso in the nose. just a hint of hops.

tastes rich, Dark roasted malt and espresso, not too complex but just a great representation.

mouth is slightly grainy and very thick. Medium carbonation, maybe too much carbonation. drinks easy but there's no way I could have more than a few on any given day. (400 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

from a bottle poured into a schlafly pint glass...

appearance: a deep black expected with a stout. the 2-fingered head decides to hang around a while. looks fantastic!

smell: before even bringing it up to my nose the smell of Kaldi's coffee is filling the air.

taste: up front coffee bittness followed by the roasted malts of the oatmeal stout a a hint of burnt chocolate. aftertaste of coffee lingers on the palate.

mouthfeel: schlafly seems to have a good balance of carbonation with their stouts. nice and creamy

drinkability: last winter this was my go-to stout, and i would drink a sixer at a time. still like it a lot, but don't think i could handle more than just a few at a time. for someone that likes coffee-dominant stouts this is a must try. (759 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a label describing this as an oatmeal stout flavored with Kaldi's coffee. The beer is dark brown, a little transclucent at the edges. Coffee is the dominant smell, some malt too. The taste is nice, the coffee doesn't seem overbearing or anything, but I'd prefer more a thicker body and maybe more sweetness. Very tasty but more body would be nice for a fit with the flavor. (404 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.
A - Nearly opaque black in color. Some red tinges when held up to the light. 1 finger tan head that dissipates very quickly.
S - Mostly cold espresso.
T - Predominant flavor of cold espresso. Some chocolate and darkl roasted malt. Finishes very clean.
M - Light and surprisingly crisp. Carbonation is just right.
D - This is the epitome of drinkable. Light and refreshing with excellent coffee flavor. This one of my favorite session beers. At @ $7.50 six pack it's very affordable. (523 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a dark brown, with extreme dark amber hues in the light. Basically opaque as well. A large inch and a half light tan head forms on the pour and lingers with excellent retention leaving some nice looking lace behind.

I love the nose on this beer. Huge coffee notes, straight espresso...mmm. Really roasty, with a slight touch of chocolate, and even a light hop presence. Really appealing for me.

The taste is quite good. A nice coffee note, though not overwhelming, is the dominant flavor profile. Slightly roasty, and slightly sweet, with a touch of chocolate and a touch of hops. This beer is a nice dose of coffee with a bit of balance.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly, but appropriately carbonated.

Drinkability is high. This beer tastes great, goes down smooth, and could be fairly sessionable. I suppose some might not want to drink several coffee beers in a row, but I certainly could with this beer. Schlafly's coffee is one of my favorite seasonal six packs, and I enjoy it year after year. It's not the best coffee stout I've ever had, but it's tasty and it's local. I look forward to enjoying this beer for years to come. I only wish it were available year round. (1,191 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +17.6%

Oh hell yeah, that is what I needed tonight, a rich, decadent coffee beer. My favorite of beer styles, though it is not really a style. This twelve ounce beauty was served lightly chilled and poured into my pint glass. Consumed on 12/11/2008.

The pour was really wonderful. Rich and completely black with no light coming through here at all. Huge tan head settled down just a tocuh leaving a ton of side glass lace alll over the place.

The smell, rich coffee aroma with a light hint of roasted malts and a touch of grain. As it warmed some light hints of molasses started to come through as well. The taste though, is why I love coffee and beer. Rich. Bitter. Dry. Totally and completely emerged in a huge coffee flavor from the very first sip. This had a really nice mellow brew flavor to it, not really harshm with a fine prickly carbonation that was smooth and subtle. Really very well done. Nice dry, slightly biter finish sealed the deal for me as this one was one of the most drinkable beers I have had in a very long time.

Overall I was floored by how good this one was. One of the best coffee beers i have had and really just a shining moment of the night for me. This was damn good. (1,194 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from an 12oz bottle into a glass stein

A_One hundred percent opaque, near-black brown all the way down to a very nice glowing mahogany bottom. One fingered tan creamy head. Very decent lacing too

S_Oh yeah, big time sweetness. Just as much caramel aroma as coffee. The particular coffee aroma to me most resembles a sweet coffee, maybe even a french vanilla

T_Pure mellow smoothness. Chocolate, caramel, vanilla, and of course lots of sweet and bitter coffee. Nice and very bitter coffee grounds aftertaste that doesn't show up while the beer is still on the pallet

M_So absolutely creamy but not chewy. Lightly carbonated, good mouth coating. Really pleasant

D_The first few sips really let you know there are two competing drugs here, a depressant as well as the introduced stimulant - the caffeine (or if I'm making an ass out of myself and there is no caffeine in here, then just the suggestion of caffeine) was enough to cause some unique feelings in my head. This beer is flavorful without being oppressive and I would have two if only I hadn't bought one bottle as part of a mix-your-own-six. (1,111 characters)

Schlafly Coffee Stout from The Schlafly Tap Room