Schlafly Kölsch - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Kölsch |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-09-2002

Our Kölsch is a classic golden ale that uses a centuries old yeast strain sourced from a famous Kölsch brewer in Köln, Germany. Fermented at 62 degrees, then cold conditioned, it has the delicate fruity aroma of an ale with the crisp, clean finish of a lager. It is brewed with lightly roasted malt and 100% German Noble Hops: Perle for bitterness and Hallertau Traditional for flavor and aroma.

In 1918, the term Kölsch was used to describe the ale brewed in Köln, a city on the Rhine River in western Germany. The style began to rise in popularity in the 1960s and now, many American craft brewers brew variations of the style, labeling it a golden ale. Our Kölsch is unique to the Schlafly brewery because Ulrike, a native of Köln and wife of brewery co-founder Tom Schlafly, connected Schlafly Beer with the Gaffel Brewery of Köln. Schlafly Beer won the Gold Medal for Best German-style Kölsch in the World Beer Cup in 2010.

4.8/5  rDev +27.3%

very drinkable, medium bodied, medium bitterness, golden straw colored, seem to loose the head early but probably do to my bad pouring, good middle of the road beer to keep on hand for those friends who do not care much for craft beers, highly recommend this beer (263 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +20.7%

12 ounce bottle into bicentennial Mason jar.

A: Hazy honey-straw color with a 2 finger white head. Decent head retention and lacing.

S: I love the lemony grain aroma. Grassy herbal hops and clover-honey.

T: I believe these types of brews are quickly becoming my favorite. I would have to say this beer reminds me of my favorite brew Landbier brewed by Brauerei Kapsreiter; however, the Landbeir is considered a German Pilsner, I think it tastes very Kolsch-like. In the Schlafly Kolsch I love how the malts and hops work together. This beer is more refreshing than lemonade. Grassy hops with some lemongrass notes ends with a nice tart dryness.

M: Light to medium with a nice bubblyness.

D: I almost didn't buy this because I wasn't expecting it to be so good. I'm glad I did. This beer is super refreshing and when summer breaks I will schedule a camping trip just so i can pack a case of these. (901 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Can I have another please? This was my first kölsch. I wish I could try an import but this company seems to have a pretty good reputation, so, without hesitation, I bought a sixer. I recently made a kölsch but had intended to try one before making it. In any case, I couldn't find it locally and my wife was in St. Louis where it's made and had one for me by proxy. She raved, I bought the ingredients and when she got home we cooked up a 5-gallon batch. It's still fermenting on it's second week and I can only dream of making such a nice brew.(It's happened before so I'm still dreaming!) We found the beer at the local liquor store and they remembered us from when we asked for it 6-weeks ago and were proud to deal it up from the icebox for us. It would be difficult to compete with this subtle light luxury lawnmower brew. I was going to bring the rest to my father-inlaws this weekend but I may just go buy them their own sixer. No sense in bringing them just three beers. I'll bring them the other, Goose Island Summertime Kölsch and will rate it in a few days. Go try this beer if you can find it. (1,108 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The temperature is 105 F today in Virginia. Kölsch time.

The Shafly poured brilliant light golden, with nicely active foamy head that falls moderately fast. The pilsner malt aroma is gently emphatic and telegraphs the flavor profile. Starts of with a soft malty entrance, quickly braced and balanced by a gently firm hop backbone. The finish is long, smoothly bitter, very refreshing and satisfying. In the mouth the impression is crisp, clean, and refreshing.

I notice lots of folks have graded this brew as somewhat mediocre. I could not agree less. Schafley's Kölsch is right on the target, stylistically, and a fresh, refreshing, superior example of the style. I enjoyed this beer today, and I intend to do so again and again. (736 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

Reviewed from a growler...

Appearance: Pours a pale blond with perfect clarity. A tiny white cap sticks around for most of the 64 ounce ride. Fair amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Relaxed, with a faint, but well done, balance of fruitiness and citrus notes. There's a hefty dose of freshly mown hay in there too. Very clean...

Taste: Fairly dry and smooth, with the balance slighty more to the hoppy end of the spectrum. Hints of hop fruitiness and citrus are present, but small. A touch of breadiness is detectable too. Fresh hay and clean malt notes are the strongest flavor on the palate. Subtle winey finish. Delicate and delicious.

Mouthfeel: Pretty close to style...it's on the thinner side of medium, with a smooth, crisp mouthfeel. The carbonation is a bit much, but it's quite forgivable.

Drinkability: Very good. This is a fantastic summer beer to kick back and relax with when a pilsner is simply not enough. Schlafly's version is sooo much better on draft than in the bottle. Good stuff here! (1,024 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +18.8%

A - Poured well from the bottle with a pale golden color and a lasting head. Very nice.

S - Pale Malt smell prehaps the only noticable disappointment is no real hops smell like some of the German varieties

T - Crisp and simple, an excellent combination of light malt and hops with a refreshing finish

M - Good carbonation which adds to the crispness of the beer

O - While not as good as the German varieties I have had but this could simply be the difference between the bottle and the tap. I do remember Fruh (in my mind the pinnacle of the style) being much much better from the tap, but I don't think I will get to experience this beer that way. If I do I will be sure to review again. Aside from that small shortfall, a very nice rendition of this quite rare style (at least on this side of the pond). Will happily find and drink this one again. (853 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-Very clear golden brew. Fluffy, characteristic head grew nicely, pristine white in color. Head showed strong retention.

S-Slightly bready-sweet, slightly spicy.

T-The first sip brings on a nicely-balanced kolsch flavor, consisting of a spicy, herbal, slightly bitter hoppiness, countering a bready, at times fruity, foundation. Finishes quite clean, exhibiting the lager-like charcteristics apparent in this style.

M-Moderately lighter body, proving to be quite refreshing. Carbonation is spot-on, lively but controlled.

D-This brew is refreshing, yet appetizingly complex, while also allowing itself to be well-representative of the style. A delight!

Picked up while St. Louis for a wedding as part of a mixed 12 pack. (767 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +17.2%

12 oz bottle pours a mostly clear gold color with a dense off-white head. Nice retention and sticky lacing. Nice stream of bubbles trickling to the top is pretty.

Nose has a yeasty influence for the style and has notes of pickling spice, bubblegum and maybe even some cloves! Sharp grains round out the aroma with very little contributions from the cones or alcohol.

Very smooth while still offering plenty of flavor...very nice kolsch here, one of the best I've ever had. I like the yeasty presence and light grains that dry out nicely on the finish. Kiss of noble hops to give it some grassy sharpness at the end. Very drinkable, although I could enjoy this in cold weather as well as warm. Stellar beer! (708 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +17%

One of my all time favorites from Schlafly.

A-Pours a crystal clear pale yellow, almost amber. A 1 finger head occurs from the pour that fades to a slim line. Beautiful lacing and bubbles, the latter owing to the clarity.

S - Fruity esters, similar to a pilsner. Wheat play a prominent role here.

T- Wheat hits you up front, followed by a fruity taste. Almost a biscuit like taste follows (think english pale/2 row). The beer finishes clean and slightly bitter.

M - Medium to light in body, and moderate in carbonation. No diacetyl to speak of.

D - Oh so very high. This is a very clean and light beer that craft and non craft drinkers alike could enjoy. It's a great beer to take to your hammock and relax on a summer or early autumn afternoon. If only Schlafly was carried down south. (791 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

This has a light refreshing flavor that makes it a great summer beer. The bottle I had was made in December, so I wonder what it is doing in winter. I only think that it is popular enough to brew year round, but it is better to wait till summer. Clarity and color are good. It is one of my favorite in the Kolsh category. (321 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%

Slight hazy straw with a small white head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma is heavy in summer smells. Some lemon, herbal and grass qualities and slightly spicy.

Starts off with a lemon and subtle fruit flavor. A bit of a cracker and light pilsner malt, finishing spicy, herbal and dry.

Mouthfeel and carb and good for the style.

One of my favorite summer beers and usually go through a six pack at minimum every summer. (421 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Had 8/12/09 on tap at Schlafly Bottle Works in St. Louis
This beer pours a clear light yellow with a thin white bubbly head. Head receded rapidly on this beer leaving spotty lacing behind. Nose is grainy, some malts and a hint of lemon. Taste is grains and grassiness up front, moving in to a light but definitive malt bodied, in the finish there is a touch of lemon and pepper. Light to medium body, moderate carbonation, there is a clean crisp taste to this beer. If only Schalfy distributed to MA, this would FOR SURE be my summertime beer! (543 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Served on-tap at the Schlafly Taproom in a pint glass. Crystal clear, light yellow body with a two-finger white head. The head dissipates fairly quickly and leaves a little lacing.

Light aroma overall, with only a little grainy biscuit and a little lemon.

Very nice flavor. Light, sweet malt, lemongrass, a minor note of hops, and a very crisp clean finish. Excellent flavor mix.

Very drinkable; will be my new go-to Kolsch from now on. (439 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +13.3%

This beer has a gold body with lots carbonation. It has an off white creamy head that has a lot of staying power. Not much lace. The body is transparent around the sides but hazy towards the middle. It has crisp hoppy aroma with a hint of malt. It has a very clean well balanced taste more bitter than sweet but in a good way. The feel is light with some carbonation bite. All in all I thought this was a great beer. (416 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +13.3%

Thanks to n8dietz for this pick-up....again!

Golden hay and sunshine color. No head really, just a simple foam of flat white. Nice bubbling.

A very faint fruit aroma mixed with some less than crisp toasted malt and grass hop aromas. Very happy and easy going smell to this beer. Makes me think of Summer on the porch.

Very light fruit upfront that gets pushed out by toasted pilsner malts and some crisping hops that round the flavor out at the finish.

The palate is simple, a little dry up front, wets in the middle, and finishes crisp and resfreshing. This makes for a superbly drinkable Summer ale. (607 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

Bottle from Sean9689 as part of a DLD trade. The beer is pale yellow color, very clear, with a thick slab of rocky foam that laces onto the glass. The aroma is subdued but spot on, unassuming malt with some grass or musky funk. The taste is classic kolsch, balanced between lightly toasted malt and grassy hops. Very well done, this is my style for "sessioning", the highest possible standard of drinkability. (409 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

This review is based on a draft enjoyed (in a pilsner glass) at Rustico Ballston, which is outside of Washington, DC (See Review).

Sitting so pretty in its sleek pilsner glass, this beer can be enjoyed through sight alone - but, I would not suggest this. The body is a cheerful amber color that sits contently beneath a thick marhmellow head; look inside to view a school of carbonation bubbles racing one another to the top.

The nose has tones of butternut; the taste gives one sweet hits of grass and lemon; this noted, there is little to no finish. However, there is a clean crispiness at work here, a wonderfully light bodied beer with substance that can warm you when the weather is cool or refresh when the day is hot and stale.

As we all know, this style originates from the ancient German city of Cologne (or Koln); it is a complex hybrid that can only be brewed by a talented brewer - many try, many fail. Schlafly succeeds. This is one exemplary renditions of the style - at least as far as any American brewery is concerned. Auf Weidersehen! (1,055 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was seriously one of the best kölsch beers I've ever had, no exaggeration.

Served on draft in a Schlafly Kölsch glass, kind of cool. Beer is yellow and completely clear. Forms a thick white head of medium and large bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is steady and made up of large bubbles that rise quickly through the beer but fail ultimately to prop the head up. Looks pretty good.

The aroma is a bit weak, slightly grainy, slightly sweet, nothing much to say about it.

The cleanliness of this beer is wonderful. There is no aftertaste that I usually associate with this style. Its nice and mildly sweet up front, some bitterness in the back from the grains, but overall its well connected and nice feel in the mouth from the carbonation. I could session this thing all night long. (817 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Beautiful golden color. Little to no head and zero lacing. Nice, lightly fruity flavor with semi-dry finish. Perfect amount of carbonation. Very drinkable; especially on a hot summer day. This is an excellent American version of this style. (277 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured bright, slightly hazy yellow, large, thick head. Lasts a long time, and nice lace.

Smells of lemon, apples, and spice.

Tastes of cirtus, and malt. Very nice.

Finshed very crisp, and smooth. Nice beer.

Glad I picked up a 6-er, even though it is October, and time for me to hit more dopples, and dunkels, will for sure re-visit this in the summer. Might be the perfect lawn beer for me. Tasty, smooth, and refreshing. (429 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

I got this brew in a trade with STLStoutAddict, Thanks Steve!

12oz bottle, 'BWL on Mar 26 2008', served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear, golden color with a fluffy white head that left good lacing.

S - sweet and earthy aroma.

T - nicely balanced with a bitter finish.

F - light and crisp.

D - at 4.5% abv this is an excellent drinking and refreshing summer beer. (366 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +10.6%

Pale gold color with a respectable foamy white head that persists fairly well and creates some nice lacing.

The aroma is mildly bready with some citrus and spicy notes.

The Flavor is light malt with a very nice grapefruit hops note that is a little odd for a kolsch, but a definite plus.

The body is light/medium and almost creamy in the mouth. Very smooth, refreshing and easy to drink. This should be an excellent summer cooler. (442 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is the best American-made Kölsch-style beers I've tried so far, and I try Kölsches whenever I can. The body just a hair heavy for the style, but the malt/hop balance is almost perfect. I dabble in - and brew - many beers and styles, but this is one of the few beers that I buy regularly. (296 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz bottle purchased at the brewpub in downtown St. Louis and sampled in July 2005. Bottling date on bottle was also July 2005.

This kölsch poured a clear, golden color with creamy white foam. The smell was mildly hoppy and lightly malty. The taste was light bready malt with some floral hops and a mild hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel was smooth and almost creamy with a nice hoppiness throughout and with medium body and good carbonation. The light hoppiness lingered in the aftertaste. This beer was very nice: smooth and very easy to drink. An enjoyable beer. (569 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

This was poured into a stange.
The appearance was a hazy golden color with a nice billowy foamy white head that mushroom capped and dissipated in a messy sort of entertaining way. Lacing was all over the place. I didn't mind, I guess, but like I said, was somewhat entertained.
The smell had a nice light sweet fruit reminiscent of lemon, a little bit of lime and grassy sweet hops. Light wheaty/grainy tones balance nicely.
The taste was sweet through the fruity parts and allowed the grassiness to balance. Wheaty/graininess helps to balance and smooth things out a bit in the flavor. There's not aftertaste but it has a nice sweet finish.
The mouthfeel had the wheaty/grainy part balance yet add a little bit of body to it. Carbonation felt right as a kolsch. Delicate harshness allows the IBU's to be fairly low, I'll check after the review to see how much.
Overall, now this is a kolsch by an American brewer. Those looking for them in the U.S., this is one I recommend. Also, this is a definite food beer. (1,011 characters)

Schlafly Kölsch from The Schlafly Tap Room