Schlafly Kölsch - The Schlafly Tap Room

good

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Kölsch |  4.80% ABV

Our Kölsch is a classic golden ale that uses a centuries old yeast strain sourced from a famous Kölsch brewer in Köln, Germany. Fermented at 62 degrees, then cold conditioned, it has the delicate fruity aroma of an ale with the crisp, clean finish of a lager. It is brewed with lightly roasted malt and 100% German Noble Hops: Perle for bitterness and Hallertau Traditional for flavor and aroma.

In 1918, the term Kölsch was used to describe the ale brewed in Köln, a city on the Rhine River in western Germany. The style began to rise in popularity in the 1960s and now, many American craft brewers brew variations of the style, labeling it a golden ale. Our Kölsch is unique to the Schlafly brewery because Ulrike, a native of Köln and wife of brewery co-founder Tom Schlafly, connected Schlafly Beer with the Gaffel Brewery of Köln. Schlafly Beer won the Gold Medal for Best German-style Kölsch in the World Beer Cup in 2010.

(Beer added by: carln26 on 07-31-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

ch473

12-06-2011 02:04:08 | More by ch473
Wordenhog

4.83/5  rDev +31.3%

very drinkable, medium bodied, medium bitterness, golden straw colored, seem to loose the head early but probably do to my bad pouring, good middle of the road beer to keep on hand for those friends who do not care much for craft beers, highly recommend this beer

10-23-2010 14:32:45 | More by Wordenhog
Beezee

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%

03-01-2012 06:54:49 | More by Beezee
baos

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

12 ounce bottle into bicentennial Mason jar.

A: Hazy honey-straw color with a 2 finger white head. Decent head retention and lacing.

S: I love the lemony grain aroma. Grassy herbal hops and clover-honey.

T: I believe these types of brews are quickly becoming my favorite. I would have to say this beer reminds me of my favorite brew Landbier brewed by Brauerei Kapsreiter; however, the Landbeir is considered a German Pilsner, I think it tastes very Kolsch-like. In the Schlafly Kolsch I love how the malts and hops work together. This beer is more refreshing than lemonade. Grassy hops with some lemongrass notes ends with a nice tart dryness.

M: Light to medium with a nice bubblyness.

D: I almost didn't buy this because I wasn't expecting it to be so good. I'm glad I did. This beer is super refreshing and when summer breaks I will schedule a camping trip just so i can pack a case of these.

02-07-2010 20:46:02 | More by baos
rixcat

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Can I have another please? This was my first kölsch. I wish I could try an import but this company seems to have a pretty good reputation, so, without hesitation, I bought a sixer. I recently made a kölsch but had intended to try one before making it. In any case, I couldn't find it locally and my wife was in St. Louis where it's made and had one for me by proxy. She raved, I bought the ingredients and when she got home we cooked up a 5-gallon batch. It's still fermenting on it's second week and I can only dream of making such a nice brew.(It's happened before so I'm still dreaming!) We found the beer at the local liquor store and they remembered us from when we asked for it 6-weeks ago and were proud to deal it up from the icebox for us. It would be difficult to compete with this subtle light luxury lawnmower brew. I was going to bring the rest to my father-inlaws this weekend but I may just go buy them their own sixer. No sense in bringing them just three beers. I'll bring them the other, Goose Island Summertime Kölsch and will rate it in a few days. Go try this beer if you can find it.

06-28-2013 16:31:34 | More by rixcat
MJR

4.53/5  rDev +23.1%

Reviewed from a growler...

Appearance: Pours a pale blond with perfect clarity. A tiny white cap sticks around for most of the 64 ounce ride. Fair amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Relaxed, with a faint, but well done, balance of fruitiness and citrus notes. There's a hefty dose of freshly mown hay in there too. Very clean...

Taste: Fairly dry and smooth, with the balance slighty more to the hoppy end of the spectrum. Hints of hop fruitiness and citrus are present, but small. A touch of breadiness is detectable too. Fresh hay and clean malt notes are the strongest flavor on the palate. Subtle winey finish. Delicate and delicious.

Mouthfeel: Pretty close to style...it's on the thinner side of medium, with a smooth, crisp mouthfeel. The carbonation is a bit much, but it's quite forgivable.

Drinkability: Very good. This is a fantastic summer beer to kick back and relax with when a pilsner is simply not enough. Schlafly's version is sooo much better on draft than in the bottle. Good stuff here!

05-05-2003 21:29:37 | More by MJR
tfarmstrong

Arkansas

4.53/5  rDev +23.1%

A - Poured well from the bottle with a pale golden color and a lasting head. Very nice.

S - Pale Malt smell prehaps the only noticable disappointment is no real hops smell like some of the German varieties

T - Crisp and simple, an excellent combination of light malt and hops with a refreshing finish

M - Good carbonation which adds to the crispness of the beer

O - While not as good as the German varieties I have had but this could simply be the difference between the bottle and the tap. I do remember Fruh (in my mind the pinnacle of the style) being much much better from the tap, but I don't think I will get to experience this beer that way. If I do I will be sure to review again. Aside from that small shortfall, a very nice rendition of this quite rare style (at least on this side of the pond). Will happily find and drink this one again.

04-03-2011 23:45:04 | More by tfarmstrong
danmouer

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The temperature is 105 F today in Virginia. Kölsch time.

The Shafly poured brilliant light golden, with nicely active foamy head that falls moderately fast. The pilsner malt aroma is gently emphatic and telegraphs the flavor profile. Starts of with a soft malty entrance, quickly braced and balanced by a gently firm hop backbone. The finish is long, smoothly bitter, very refreshing and satisfying. In the mouth the impression is crisp, clean, and refreshing.

I notice lots of folks have graded this brew as somewhat mediocre. I could not agree less. Schafley's Kölsch is right on the target, stylistically, and a fresh, refreshing, superior example of the style. I enjoyed this beer today, and I intend to do so again and again.

06-29-2012 22:03:53 | More by danmouer
CHSLBrew

4.53/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-Very clear golden brew. Fluffy, characteristic head grew nicely, pristine white in color. Head showed strong retention.

S-Slightly bready-sweet, slightly spicy.

T-The first sip brings on a nicely-balanced kolsch flavor, consisting of a spicy, herbal, slightly bitter hoppiness, countering a bready, at times fruity, foundation. Finishes quite clean, exhibiting the lager-like charcteristics apparent in this style.

M-Moderately lighter body, proving to be quite refreshing. Carbonation is spot-on, lively but controlled.

D-This brew is refreshing, yet appetizingly complex, while also allowing itself to be well-representative of the style. A delight!

Picked up while St. Louis for a wedding as part of a mixed 12 pack.

09-22-2010 19:06:35 | More by CHSLBrew

Stoshua

01-16-2013 23:06:06 | More by Stoshua
twiggamortis420

4.43/5  rDev +20.4%

12 oz bottle pours a mostly clear gold color with a dense off-white head. Nice retention and sticky lacing. Nice stream of bubbles trickling to the top is pretty.

Nose has a yeasty influence for the style and has notes of pickling spice, bubblegum and maybe even some cloves! Sharp grains round out the aroma with very little contributions from the cones or alcohol.

Very smooth while still offering plenty of flavor...very nice kolsch here, one of the best I've ever had. I like the yeasty presence and light grains that dry out nicely on the finish. Kiss of noble hops to give it some grassy sharpness at the end. Very drinkable, although I could enjoy this in cold weather as well as warm. Stellar beer!

11-16-2011 23:48:28 | More by twiggamortis420
chchchchia

Arkansas

4.43/5  rDev +20.4%

One of my all time favorites from Schlafly.

A-Pours a crystal clear pale yellow, almost amber. A 1 finger head occurs from the pour that fades to a slim line. Beautiful lacing and bubbles, the latter owing to the clarity.

S - Fruity esters, similar to a pilsner. Wheat play a prominent role here.

T- Wheat hits you up front, followed by a fruity taste. Almost a biscuit like taste follows (think english pale/2 row). The beer finishes clean and slightly bitter.

M - Medium to light in body, and moderate in carbonation. No diacetyl to speak of.

D - Oh so very high. This is a very clean and light beer that craft and non craft drinkers alike could enjoy. It's a great beer to take to your hammock and relax on a summer or early autumn afternoon. If only Schlafly was carried down south.

09-30-2011 20:42:32 | More by chchchchia
Samalamahamdam

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

This has a light refreshing flavor that makes it a great summer beer. The bottle I had was made in December, so I wonder what it is doing in winter. I only think that it is popular enough to brew year round, but it is better to wait till summer. Clarity and color are good. It is one of my favorite in the Kolsh category.

02-02-2011 00:06:09 | More by Samalamahamdam
jmarsh123

4.33/5  rDev +17.7%

Slight hazy straw with a small white head that dissipates quickly.

Aroma is heavy in summer smells. Some lemon, herbal and grass qualities and slightly spicy.

Starts off with a lemon and subtle fruit flavor. A bit of a cracker and light pilsner malt, finishing spicy, herbal and dry.

Mouthfeel and carb and good for the style.

One of my favorite summer beers and usually go through a six pack at minimum every summer.

11-06-2011 21:53:19 | More by jmarsh123