Schlafly Kölsch - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Kölsch |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: Thrasher on 07-09-2002

Our Kölsch is a classic golden ale that uses a centuries old yeast strain sourced from a famous Kölsch brewer in Köln, Germany. Fermented at 62 degrees, then cold conditioned, it has the delicate fruity aroma of an ale with the crisp, clean finish of a lager. It is brewed with lightly roasted malt and 100% German Noble Hops: Perle for bitterness and Hallertau Traditional for flavor and aroma.

In 1918, the term Kölsch was used to describe the ale brewed in Köln, a city on the Rhine River in western Germany. The style began to rise in popularity in the 1960s and now, many American craft brewers brew variations of the style, labeling it a golden ale. Our Kölsch is unique to the Schlafly brewery because Ulrike, a native of Köln and wife of brewery co-founder Tom Schlafly, connected Schlafly Beer with the Gaffel Brewery of Köln. Schlafly Beer won the Gold Medal for Best German-style Kölsch in the World Beer Cup in 2010.

2.93/5  rDev -22.3%

From notes 4-29-09

Eye: Pretty much looks like a fizzy yellow beer, head retention might be better than most fizzy yellows though...at a thick blanket comparable to a layer of sod that covers raw earth...about the average size of a suburban yard (keep the proportion intact though). Really nothing special, average I guess.

Nose: The first thing that strikes me about this beer is an aroma I can't quite put my finger on but know to be off for the style. At first I think its a bit skunky, but that doesn't seem quite right. Next I'm thinking it smells like a fermenting mash, as in bourbon. In connection with that I'm also thinking use of adjunct, corn especially. Lastly I'm thinking that it could just be overhopped with some noble hops. Perhaps a bit vegetal as well. Some diacetyl. Its odd, instead of finding subtlties that are positive, I'm only finding negative aspects of this beer, all subtle though. It doesn't smell bad, but I can't find anything positive about the way it smells. Every subtle aroma seems out of place in my opinion.

Tongue: This is nothing like other Kolsch beers that I've drank. This is much less complex and much more flawed for what I perceive to be the style. Nothing herbal, and too much, well nothing going on. This tastes more like a cream ale. Buttery maltiness with some dry hop character that is noticeable but completely overthrown by diacetyl. This just seems off. Slight spiciness from hops. Really not much flavor. This isn't a bad beer but for the price I'd rather go somewhere else. Like I said, I think that this would be better off if Schlafly were to call it a cream ale or perhaps just a light golden ale. I really don't think that this one represents the style very well.

Feel and Drinkability: The label says its medium bodied, I think that thats a bit of a stretch..medium-light at most with enough carbonation to make it feel that way without a doubt. Body and carbonation work well for the way that this beer tastes. Finish is dry. This isn't one I'd pick up again, though I would drink it again if I didn't have to pay for it. Its not bad, but I really don't think that its anything close to a Kolsch style. Perhaps I might buy it if I wanted something real bland, but then the price on it...well I could get something far better for less.

Edit: The more I drink of this the less flaws I find with it and I find it to be exactly what the brewers were going for, dry with a wine like palate with some bitterness in the finish. This is one I'll definitely be coming back to in the near future. Till then the review must stand. I guess I will pick up a sixer after all. There's one for drinkability, intriguing. (2,676 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -13%

this is an interesting brew, it says ale, but thats the only ale characteristic that i see, it looks and tastes like a lager, but whatever semantics right?

anyway like before it looks like a lager, has a really nice golden hue to it with a big white head and laces a little too

smell is kinda funky, has a pungent stinky skunky aroma, really odd but not necessarily bad

taste is like the smell, but not as pungent, the skunkiness comes through but it is a very easy drinking beer.

not a bad brew, probably my first kolsch but who knows (539 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

bottled 3/27/09

pours clear golden with a with a 2 finger white head taht leaves slight lacing down the glass

smells of lemon grassy hops and cereal grains

taste is light sweet grains and lemons

mouthfeel is light creamy and good carbonation

drinkability is perfefect for the summer - i think the germans own the summer brews light and poundable (350 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

Bottle from Sean9689 as part of a DLD trade. The beer is pale yellow color, very clear, with a thick slab of rocky foam that laces onto the glass. The aroma is subdued but spot on, unassuming malt with some grass or musky funk. The taste is classic kolsch, balanced between lightly toasted malt and grassy hops. Very well done, this is my style for "sessioning", the highest possible standard of drinkability. (409 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle poured into pint glass

A- pours a hazy golden color with 1 finger frothy head and no visible lacing.

S- aromas of citrus lemons and noticeable hop characteristics.

T- Quite refreshing with lots of citrus

M- Light bodied

D- Drinkability is moderate, not the best tasting brew but quite refreshing on a hot afternoon. (338 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours an effervescent straw/gold with 1 inch of pearl colored head. Minimal head retention & lacing

S: Bready with grassy hops

T: Lemony & grassy hops, breadyness/crackery dryness up front. Slight green apple skins as this warms, plus more lemony hops. Finishes dry with more lemon & some grainyness

MF: Light bodied, effervescent & good balance

Pretty drinkable, could knock back 3 or 4 before moving on to heavier brews. Not the best shot at this style, could use more fruittyness. One to consider on a hot Summer's day or while watching the game... (555 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%

I really like is Kolsch offered by my local microbrewer, Schlafly. Pours light gold in color with a medium white head. Smell of malt, yeast, and cream. Taste is good, malts, yeast, and slight hops. Mouthfeel is perfect for this beer but nothing my "ideal" mouthfeel (ie. no 5.0), smooth, fresh, and light-medium in body. This is a great beer to enjoy during the summer months. I will def have some of this beer in the fridge to enjoy over the upcoming months. (459 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - This one is a slightly hazy peach color with a big rocky three finger white head. Head retention is outstanding, and lots of nice lace is left on the glass. This pretty beer looks like apricot juice topped with fluffy whipped cream.

S - Grainy with a hint of salt water and some spicy hops. Smells mellow, malty, and mild. Saltine cracker and whole grain cereal.

T - Salty crackers with some flavors oddly reminiscent of white cheddar cheez-its. Some really nice balanced hop notes follow the grain and an estery-fruitiness comes out towards the end. Nice.

M - Light bodied, refreshing, thirst quenching, and expressively carbonated. This has all the prerequisites for a summer time brew.

D - A good, but slightly boring Kolsch (not a style known for complexity anyhow). I could drink a million of these. I would buy something like this if I planned on drinking more than three or four beers... like at a wedding or a lake party. This is way better than a macro lager, but mild and bland enough to toss back with a quickness. (1,033 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This was poured into a pint glass from the bottle.

A - clear, golden color with a foamy had that settles into a chunky lacing

S - very faint malt with a touch of sulfur initially

T - fairly clean malt taste with a crisp hop bitterness on the finish; some yeast fruitiness present

M - medium body, moderate carbonation

D - This is a decent enough Kolsch. Having visited Cologne though, I'm ruined on this style as very little I've had in the States matches up to what I remember. (483 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +13.3%

This beer has a gold body with lots carbonation. It has an off white creamy head that has a lot of staying power. Not much lace. The body is transparent around the sides but hazy towards the middle. It has crisp hoppy aroma with a hint of malt. It has a very clean well balanced taste more bitter than sweet but in a good way. The feel is light with some carbonation bite. All in all I thought this was a great beer. (416 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Boulevard Smokestack goblet. This beer pours a light, pale lemon with a little bit of a head and leaves just a bit of lacing. The aroma is mildly sweet and a bit grainy with just a kiss of hops at the finish. The taste follows suit. There really isn't too much to it. It is just blindly sweet with nothing really to it. The mouthfeel is light and crisp, making for a good summertime beer like the label implies but I've had much better Kolsch's and I think I would rather have one of those then this one. (533 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

This style seems to be gaining popularity. I've had others that I didn't care for.

I had this on the brewery tour at Schlafly. The appearance and small were very light and subtle. Nearly looks like a Macro beer.

The taste is also very subtle. At first it is very dry and I was worried that it was too light. It finishes very nicely though and leaves a faint pleasant hoppiness on the tongue. (395 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Another part of the bottle bucket for 2 bucks at Waldo's.

Poured a light yellow with a thin head and no lacing.

Mild citrus aroma, very mild.

Has a very distinct citrus lime flavor, really quite refreshing. Has a club soda type quality.

Spritzy mouthfeel, medium carbonation.

Overall a pretty tasty refeshing beer. Can't say that I would ever buy for home but worth 2 bucks from a diner. (392 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Beautiful golden color. Little to no head and zero lacing. Nice, lightly fruity flavor with semi-dry finish. Perfect amount of carbonation. Very drinkable; especially on a hot summer day. This is an excellent American version of this style. (277 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -2.7%

A- Slightly hazy pale golden straw color with large white head. Sparse white lacing.

A- Very faint smell, slight apple aroma. Slight bitterness

T- Light grainy malt with slight fruity taste. Dryness helps bring out the hoppy bitterness.

M- Smooth crisp medium-light body with low carbonation. The low carbonation seemed a bit odd, perhaps just an off bottle.

D- A wonderfully refreshing brew, great on a hot day. This is a beer a BMC drinker would enjoy as well. (466 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Pours a golden orange color with a constant stream of bubbles that helps maintain the nice white head. Looks good in my Kolsch glass.

S: A lemony straw aroma, with yeasty hints as well.

T: A grainy yeast flavor, very crisp, clean, and dry, with a finish that vanishes from the palate quite quickly.

M: Nice carbonation. Just plain good.

D: Goes down super easy. A pleasing brew overall. (393 characters)

Drank this from a bottle that my brother gave me. Decanted into a pint glass. Pours a clear pale yellow with a thin white head. Good retention.

Smells and tastes of a nice soft grain - is there wheat in this? Hints of white wine or champagne. Little bit of hops in the finish, providing some good balance.

Medium-bodied - not too watery.

This is a very drinkable summer beer. I actually liked it more as it warmed up a tad. Would gladly try this again. (455 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Hello, this is my first review and I consider myself to be an acolyte as my profile indicates so bear with me.

Picked this up at the local Dierbergs on a steamy July afternoon. Lately I had been getting a little bit burned out with Porters and Doublebocks and since my buddies were coming over to drink their Natural Light nastiness I decided to go with something light yet flavorful. Enter Schlafly Kolsch. In the style of wheat ales from Cologne, this beer provides ample refreshment on a hot summer day.

The bottle - Has a bottled (with love I might add) on date of May 5th, 2008.

The pour - A solid pour down the middle of my beer mug releasing the effervescent glory and thick head that is common in wheat beers. The head was about 3/4" thick and lumpy.

The body - Hazy golden color, held up to the light it was cloudy but not quite as much as most other wheat beers that I have tried.

Nose - Lemony, I like to think almost like iced tea. One could surmise from the smell alone that this is going to be quite refreshing.

Taste - Very bready, yeasty, and what I would consider a somewhat dry flavor with some floral notes, again lemon zest is there. Unlike Witbiers, this doesn't have the soapy flavor, and I do not miss it. The bananna flavor (which I like ) that is common in Hefeweizens is also missing. Hops are restrained but enough to keep the beer balanced. I found the hops mild at best, but then again I'm fond of Sam Adams and IPAs so I am a little more used to hop bombs. However, the bitterness might be a little too much for some of my average Bud Light drinking brethren. With that said it goes down smooth and finishes quite clean for a non-macro product.

For me this is a great sessions beer to kick back and enjoy on a hot summer day while having a barbecue with friends. Boca Brats with mustard and kraut are in order.

It is also great to offer to your BMC drinking friends as a sort of stepping stone to expanding their horizons, perhaps better than Blue Moon or many of these American "Hefeweizens" that seem so popular these days. And yes, I have to explain to my friends that we need a bottle opener for good beer and no it does not come in a can so you cannot "shotgun" it.

Oh and one last note. For those of my fellow St. Louisans who are upset by the takeover of AB by InBev, do yourself a favor and check out Schalfly, go to their taphouse or their bottleworks and sample their offerings. They have special events at these places too, such as live local music and even movie nights...they showed the Texas Chainsaw Massacre one night a few years back for god's sake. Support a local St. Louis institution. (2,645 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the perfect summer beer. It is very light and refeshing but has a great malt flavor that is hits your mouth as you swallow. typically i prefer lagers and pilsners when out in the sun however they feel more bland. easily one of my favorite summers brews. (261 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +7.7%

Poored hurriedly into a tall glass yet still there is no real sign of a head. Hmm... Dark yellow and perfectly clear. Like looking through the translucent plastic handle of a screwdriver.

Smells more like what I'm used to finding in a Kolsch. Big nodes of sunshine, grass, weeds, and hay. Just a little bit of european hops balance things out really well.

Tastes quite crisp and refreshing. The yeast that Schlafly uses is remarkably smooth. Big nodes of weedy malt, like walking through a field at dusk in the summer. Nice, sweet aftertaste with light hints of lemongrass.

Just about everything I look for in a Kolsch. (622 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

I got this brew in a trade with STLStoutAddict, Thanks Steve!

12oz bottle, 'BWL on Mar 26 2008', served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear, golden color with a fluffy white head that left good lacing.

S - sweet and earthy aroma.

T - nicely balanced with a bitter finish.

F - light and crisp.

D - at 4.5% abv this is an excellent drinking and refreshing summer beer. (366 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours a clear golden color with one finger of frothy white head. Decent retention and a bit of lacing all down the glass.

The aroma holds a gentle fruity note with some pale toasted malt and a hint of hop spice.

The taste has a large pale malt profile that is reminiscent of a German pils.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly high as the alcohol is low, flavor is decent. (425 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -8.2%

Schlafly's Kolsch pours a clear, light yellow/gold with a fluffy white head which dies down quickly and leaves just a hint of lacing. Notes of lemon, corn, and sourness show up on the nose. The taste is very light, with hints of caramel followed by a hint of bittness and noble hop characters. The mouthfeel is nice and medium with medium/high carbonation.

Like most of the Schlafly beers I've had, this one is nice and solid though it won't knock your socks off. (465 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

Medium to dark golden with a finger of white foam that splits in a snap. Little lacing to indicate its presence. The smell and taste are better. The hop content is quite good, providing a decent bitter aftertaste after nicely coating the tongue. It's modestly citrusy, with some grapefruit and orange peel most notably present.

This is quite good. Schlafly's standard offerings are usually hit and miss with me. This is a hit--not one to knock off the socks, but certainly a good, flavorful, but still somewhat light, Summer Kolsch. Recommended. (546 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottled with love on March 27, 2008.

This poured a very pale yellow, with a nice head, looking very refreshing. Smells yeasty, with a touch of malts and hops. Schalfly's Kolsch tastes a little bland, with malt and yeast being the predominant flavors and a small hint of bitterness at the end.

This is very easy to drink and goes down like water...could drink a lot of these on a hot day playing horse shoes. I'll have to wait until it warms up a bit more to drink the rest of these... (487 characters)

Schlafly Kölsch from The Schlafly Tap Room