2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schlafly Kölsch - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly KölschSchlafly Kölsch

good

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Kölsch |  4.80% ABV

Our Kölsch is a classic golden ale that uses a centuries old yeast strain sourced from a famous Kölsch brewer in Köln, Germany. Fermented at 62 degrees, then cold conditioned, it has the delicate fruity aroma of an ale with the crisp, clean finish of a lager. It is brewed with lightly roasted malt and 100% German Noble Hops: Perle for bitterness and Hallertau Traditional for flavor and aroma.

In 1918, the term Kölsch was used to describe the ale brewed in Köln, a city on the Rhine River in western Germany. The style began to rise in popularity in the 1960s and now, many American craft brewers brew variations of the style, labeling it a golden ale. Our Kölsch is unique to the Schlafly brewery because Ulrike, a native of Köln and wife of brewery co-founder Tom Schlafly, connected Schlafly Beer with the Gaffel Brewery of Köln. Schlafly Beer won the Gold Medal for Best German-style Kölsch in the World Beer Cup in 2010.

(Beer added by: carln26 on 07-31-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 420 | Reviews: 178 | Show All Ratings:
MarzenMan

3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

This style seems to be gaining popularity. I've had others that I didn't care for.

I had this on the brewery tour at Schlafly. The appearance and small were very light and subtle. Nearly looks like a Macro beer.

The taste is also very subtle. At first it is very dry and I was worried that it was too light. It finishes very nicely though and leaves a faint pleasant hoppiness on the tongue.

10-13-2008 20:30:37 | More by MarzenMan
Gruntlumber

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%

This was a pleasant surprise. After pouring and observing the thin, clear straw appearance I was expecting it to taste similar to the Olympia I just had prior (have a problem with Olympia, do you?). The foam was thicker and lingered for a minute, so that was my first clue it wasn't Olympia. This is a very refreshing brew. Not abundant on flavor, but very crisp with a hint of fruitiness. I should've let it warm up a bit to bring out more flavor, but it's too damn drinkable to let it sit. The most distiguishing thing about Schlafly Kolsch is its dry finish. The reviewer who called this "the Sauvignon Blanc of beers" couldn't have nailed it better; my thoughts exactly.

11-03-2005 22:03:16 | More by Gruntlumber
lanamj

3.58/5  rDev -3%

Got as an extra on a trade. Poured into a Terrapin barrel mug glass.

A- Nice clear gold with a fast foamy head that barely stuck around. Thin lacing that clings to the edge of the glass

S- Sweet malts and crisp aromas such as hay, yeast and honey.

T- Nice cereal flavor with honey and crisp bread. It finishes so smooth with a slight hoppy bitterness.

M- Nice and refreshing. It goes down smooth and crisp. Although not my favorite style this beer is not bad at all. The carbonation is balanced and the feel is smooth and very approachable.

O- A good beer for the style. I could see this being perfect for outdoor events on a sunny day. It's easy drinking also nice and refreshing

09-15-2011 20:50:56 | More by lanamj
johnkale

Wisconsin

3.8/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle (dated 11/15/12) received as a thank you for cat-sitting
poured into my New Glarus Pilsener glass

A - golden straw, perfect clarity, one finger of head quickly dissipates to a thin cap of foam on top, moderate lacing

S - grainy, with some lemony fruit

T - starts with sweet cereal grains, some husk in there, lemon and a slight berry like flavor, finishes dry with a pleasing mild bitterness

M - effervescent, light bodied, just a little prickly on the tongue

O - a very refreshing beer, simple but tasty, a style I always enjoy but don't see nearly enough of

01-15-2013 01:38:45 | More by johnkale
danmouer

4.53/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The temperature is 105 F today in Virginia. Kölsch time.

The Shafly poured brilliant light golden, with nicely active foamy head that falls moderately fast. The pilsner malt aroma is gently emphatic and telegraphs the flavor profile. Starts of with a soft malty entrance, quickly braced and balanced by a gently firm hop backbone. The finish is long, smoothly bitter, very refreshing and satisfying. In the mouth the impression is crisp, clean, and refreshing.

I notice lots of folks have graded this brew as somewhat mediocre. I could not agree less. Schafley's Kölsch is right on the target, stylistically, and a fresh, refreshing, superior example of the style. I enjoyed this beer today, and I intend to do so again and again.

06-29-2012 22:03:53 | More by danmouer
beerhobo22

Nebraska

3.43/5  rDev -7%

Malty aroma with very little hops. Brilliantly clear pale gold color. No head present. Good malt with biscuit like quality. Light mouthfeel with mild, earthy, hop bitterness. Finishes clean with some residual malt flavor. Very light and tasty; a good summer session beer.

07-03-2009 20:05:20 | More by beerhobo22
Mechphisto

4.15/5  rDev +12.5%

Inch thick white head that lasts very briefly leaving a light, nearly non-existant lacing.
A pure, golden color. Bright and clear appearance.
Crisp, light smell. Light floral.
Light, very crisp and carbonated mouthfeel. Easy to drink.
Malty. A little lemony and light peppery. Almost too crisp too taste an initial taste. Little sour on the back end.
In general, a good, easy drinking beer.

08-28-2009 03:32:30 | More by Mechphisto
Tinfoilrcr

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

A- Star gold, and hazy. Very little head and no lcaing.

N- Lemongrass and crisp bitterness.

T- Lemongrass, hint of sweet malts, and lots of citrus and earthy hops.

M- Light and refreshing, with lots of carbonation.

D- very easy. Definitely a session beer.

03-14-2010 23:51:18 | More by Tinfoilrcr
Naters333

3.44/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my New Glarus pilsner glass. Has a bottle date of 11/29/12.

A. Poured a great golden color. More of a straw or deep yellow. Very clear. Great carbonation. Nice finger and a half head. Leaves a little lacing as I drink.

S-Not very pungent. Get a few bread notes.

T-Smooth, refreshing, bread, lemon, easy drinking, wheat. A little sweat at first, but finishes with heavy wheat and bread notes.

M- Nice mouthful. Medium bodied beer. Heavy on the bread aftertaste. Does not leave the dry taste in your mouth that many kolschs are known for. Does not bother me though.

O- A nice session beer. Nothing overwhelming here in any area. I could see my self buying these on a nice summer day.

01-20-2013 20:24:31 | More by Naters333
Bobo77

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

Hello, this is my first review and I consider myself to be an acolyte as my profile indicates so bear with me.

Picked this up at the local Dierbergs on a steamy July afternoon. Lately I had been getting a little bit burned out with Porters and Doublebocks and since my buddies were coming over to drink their Natural Light nastiness I decided to go with something light yet flavorful. Enter Schlafly Kolsch. In the style of wheat ales from Cologne, this beer provides ample refreshment on a hot summer day.

The bottle - Has a bottled (with love I might add) on date of May 5th, 2008.

The pour - A solid pour down the middle of my beer mug releasing the effervescent glory and thick head that is common in wheat beers. The head was about 3/4" thick and lumpy.

The body - Hazy golden color, held up to the light it was cloudy but not quite as much as most other wheat beers that I have tried.

Nose - Lemony, I like to think almost like iced tea. One could surmise from the smell alone that this is going to be quite refreshing.

Taste - Very bready, yeasty, and what I would consider a somewhat dry flavor with some floral notes, again lemon zest is there. Unlike Witbiers, this doesn't have the soapy flavor, and I do not miss it. The bananna flavor (which I like ) that is common in Hefeweizens is also missing. Hops are restrained but enough to keep the beer balanced. I found the hops mild at best, but then again I'm fond of Sam Adams and IPAs so I am a little more used to hop bombs. However, the bitterness might be a little too much for some of my average Bud Light drinking brethren. With that said it goes down smooth and finishes quite clean for a non-macro product.

For me this is a great sessions beer to kick back and enjoy on a hot summer day while having a barbecue with friends. Boca Brats with mustard and kraut are in order.

It is also great to offer to your BMC drinking friends as a sort of stepping stone to expanding their horizons, perhaps better than Blue Moon or many of these American "Hefeweizens" that seem so popular these days. And yes, I have to explain to my friends that we need a bottle opener for good beer and no it does not come in a can so you cannot "shotgun" it.

Oh and one last note. For those of my fellow St. Louisans who are upset by the takeover of AB by InBev, do yourself a favor and check out Schalfly, go to their taphouse or their bottleworks and sample their offerings. They have special events at these places too, such as live local music and even movie nights...they showed the Texas Chainsaw Massacre one night a few years back for god's sake. Support a local St. Louis institution.

08-02-2008 19:44:46 | More by Bobo77
bugaboo416

A: I love this color of clear bright yellow, which screams sunlight and summertime

S: lightly malty

T: clean, crisp on first sip , with a slight malt flavor and bitterness at the end

M: light

O: Drink it fast and drink it fun. Not much more to say other than it is a good example of a Kolsch beer.

08-23-2011 03:16:48 | More by bugaboo416
benteach

3.9/5  rDev +5.7%

Light golden yellow color with a thinish line of foam, left quickly. Carbonation throughout the drink.
Smell of grain, just a hint of hops. Tastes great. Malt is a distinct flavor.
Tastes like a good German beer should.
A great addition to a hot summer day.

07-10-2009 23:05:47 | More by benteach
Dave412

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

A. Pale golden color, finger+ length head.

N. Spicy smells, moderate/strong, interesting

T. No real individual standout tastes, little bit grainy, but overall solid.

M. Medium bodied, almost full. Very well balanced.

D. Could drink several in a row, especially in the summer.

Overall a solid, well crafted beer in my opinion.

10-06-2009 22:28:01 | More by Dave412
binkman

Maryland

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Brilliant gold, a very slight white head that dissipated quickly, and left a faint bit of lacing on the glass.

S: No malt arome to speak of. A slight apple-peachy scent, likely from yeast ester production during fermentation. I can also detect a hint of noble hops here. Together the two come together to suggest Froot Loops.

T: Slightly sweet up front. Not very malty. The fruity character from the aroma is present, and glides into a noble hops flavor. The finish is clean with pleasant bitterness. The fruity and hoppy froot-loops flavor is pleasant at first but persists too long and gets old by the end of the bottle.

M: Smooth and crisp with light body. It could finish a bit drier for me.

O: It's nice and drinkable, but probably better with some food. By itself the aftertaste is a little unpleasant and I was hoping for a bit more maltiness.

10-08-2011 22:21:12 | More by binkman
Steedee

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Excellent light bodied lager.
This beer has a ton of flavor for how light bodied and clear it is.
Not to dry or bitter, not to fruity, but packed full of mild hop flavors that will make you crack open another on a hot summer day. High carbonation make the flavors dance in your mouth, with very little or no after taste. The colder the better! One of my favorite summer beers.

11-20-2011 06:51:59 | More by Steedee
myelo

Tennessee

3.69/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass sitting on my front porch on a cool Saturday spring afternoon.

Pale yellow gold with 2 finger creamy white head that settles to persistent 1 finger head with very prominent lacing. Slightly hazy with lots of tiny bubbles.

Light aroma of mild malt with grassy hops, hint of citrus and yeast.

Taste is soft, clean grainy malt, low bitterness, mild spicy hops.

Medium-light body with medium-high carbonation. Smooth.

A very drinkable, smooth, crisp spring/summer brew with plenty of flavor.

04-19-2014 22:15:15 | More by myelo
BlueMoon10

Mississippi

3.43/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had this at Schlafly's Taproom. A decent Kolsch.

A: a bright straw-yellow/gold, with medium white head
S: wheat/yeast - standard Kolsh aroma
T: Grainy, dry, crisp, slight bitterness. Decently clean finish
M: Light body, good carbonation

O: Enjoyable beer, but nothing that makes it too different.

04-06-2013 23:14:11 | More by BlueMoon10
tfarmstrong

Arkansas

4.53/5  rDev +22.8%

A - Poured well from the bottle with a pale golden color and a lasting head. Very nice.

S - Pale Malt smell prehaps the only noticable disappointment is no real hops smell like some of the German varieties

T - Crisp and simple, an excellent combination of light malt and hops with a refreshing finish

M - Good carbonation which adds to the crispness of the beer

O - While not as good as the German varieties I have had but this could simply be the difference between the bottle and the tap. I do remember Fruh (in my mind the pinnacle of the style) being much much better from the tap, but I don't think I will get to experience this beer that way. If I do I will be sure to review again. Aside from that small shortfall, a very nice rendition of this quite rare style (at least on this side of the pond). Will happily find and drink this one again.

04-03-2011 23:45:04 | More by tfarmstrong
rixcat

4.55/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Can I have another please? This was my first kölsch. I wish I could try an import but this company seems to have a pretty good reputation, so, without hesitation, I bought a sixer. I recently made a kölsch but had intended to try one before making it. In any case, I couldn't find it locally and my wife was in St. Louis where it's made and had one for me by proxy. She raved, I bought the ingredients and when she got home we cooked up a 5-gallon batch. It's still fermenting on it's second week and I can only dream of making such a nice brew.(It's happened before so I'm still dreaming!) We found the beer at the local liquor store and they remembered us from when we asked for it 6-weeks ago and were proud to deal it up from the icebox for us. It would be difficult to compete with this subtle light luxury lawnmower brew. I was going to bring the rest to my father-inlaws this weekend but I may just go buy them their own sixer. No sense in bringing them just three beers. I'll bring them the other, Goose Island Summertime Kölsch and will rate it in a few days. Go try this beer if you can find it.

06-28-2013 16:31:34 | More by rixcat
feedsasquatch

Kentucky

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

This is the first of only two Kolsch's I've ever tried.

A - Clear golden yellow color. Has some head, but not very much retention (could've been the glass though).

S - A slight crisp sweetness. Not a whole lot going on in the aroma department, but this style does have its own unique smell.

T - It tastes just like it smells, crisp and slightly sweet.

M - It's crisp, and light. Makes for a good summer drink.

D - Highly drinkable. There's not a ton of flavor though, so it doesn't go with too many foods.

I enjoy drinking Kolsch's as I'm cooking dinner or grilling outside. It's very refreshing and doesn't overwhelm the palate. Which means that you're ready for a meal or a different beer right away.

07-06-2010 20:25:44 | More by feedsasquatch
chchchchia

Arkansas

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

One of my all time favorites from Schlafly.

A-Pours a crystal clear pale yellow, almost amber. A 1 finger head occurs from the pour that fades to a slim line. Beautiful lacing and bubbles, the latter owing to the clarity.

S - Fruity esters, similar to a pilsner. Wheat play a prominent role here.

T- Wheat hits you up front, followed by a fruity taste. Almost a biscuit like taste follows (think english pale/2 row). The beer finishes clean and slightly bitter.

M - Medium to light in body, and moderate in carbonation. No diacetyl to speak of.

D - Oh so very high. This is a very clean and light beer that craft and non craft drinkers alike could enjoy. It's a great beer to take to your hammock and relax on a summer or early autumn afternoon. If only Schlafly was carried down south.

09-30-2011 20:42:32 | More by chchchchia
davidaubrey

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

I had this in a 22oz glass on tap at a bar while watching the Bears game. The mouthfeel was light and slightly sweet. The color was pale and the taste hoppy. Having lived in France and traveled in Germany, I can say that this attempt at a Kölsch beer is spot on.

08-16-2010 02:35:12 | More by davidaubrey
kopper65

3.65/5  rDev -1.1%

Nice clear, golden color, just slightly darker than a lager. Poured with a nice head. Not much of an aroma, although I do detect a little citrus. Very similar nose feel to a lager with malt and hop subleties pulling through. Taste is very malty, with a slight hoppy, citrus aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a bit lighter than I'm used to, and maybe a bit watery, but is perfect for warmer weather when you're looking for a good, smooth, refreshing, flavorful beer. Seems slightly under-carbonated to me (I wouldn't go so far as saying it's "flat"), but that doesn't ruin its appeal. Drinkability is very good. I could see myself easily throwing back several of these with no problem.

01-06-2010 04:29:40 | More by kopper65
Samalamahamdam

4.35/5  rDev +17.9%

This has a light refreshing flavor that makes it a great summer beer. The bottle I had was made in December, so I wonder what it is doing in winter. I only think that it is popular enough to brew year round, but it is better to wait till summer. Clarity and color are good. It is one of my favorite in the Kolsh category.

02-02-2011 00:06:09 | More by Samalamahamdam
jking206

Indiana

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

I've never had a Kolsch before, but it was the guest beer at my local brewpub, so I thought I'd give it a chance. The color is a very transparent yellow with a thin head that disappears quickly. Very effervescent with a slightly sweet aroma. The taste is light and clean with a ssweet yeasty aftertaste. This beer is very refreshing on a hot day, and I can see myself drinking this beer on a regular basis.

05-31-2010 02:05:25 | More by jking206