2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Pumpkin AleSchlafly Pumpkin Ale

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Our Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie. Pounds of pumpkin form a malty foundation that supports the fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

While pumpkin beers were produced in the early days of the American colonies, they were different from the pumpkin beers we know today. Colonists used pumpkin and squash as the fermenting medium, since malted barley was scarce. Once malt became more readily available, it replaced these alternatives to grain. In the 1990’s, American craft brewers reintroduced the style to the delight of pumpkin beer drinkers.

(Beer added by: maxpower on 09-16-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,243 | Reviews: 432 | Show All Ratings:
jacwomyn

District of Columbia

2.4/5  rDev -43%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I had this beer 2 times in a bottle at Churchkey and at Number 9 1/2 in DC. This beer is overwhelming with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice. I want to like this beer but I just can't. I could not taste much pumpkin since the spices take over the beer. I definitely did not taste any flavor of vanilla. I prefer some vanilla taste with my pumpkin beers.

10-27-2012 19:19:48 | More by jacwomyn
bobhits

Kentucky

2.73/5  rDev -35.2%

I had this last year on tap, and thought it was a big dark brown ale that tasted like pumkin pie. This year, well it isn’t coming off even remotely the same.

Pours an amber color with a bit of activity, clear yet hard to see through. Head is merely and after thought.
Smells of nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin, and amber malt.
This honestly drinks a bit too much like a kolch or lager in the body this year. Lost is the creamy body and deep sweetness for the past. Spices dominate and the pumkin and malt fall to the back ground. Some hops in the mouth again seem to contribute to a funky poorly mixed beer. Where is the pie curstg goodness from last year when I had this on tap?

You can feel the weight of the alcohol while the beer comes off rather medium the beer clearly is a monster in hiding. The spices and bite from the hops distract. Certainly not a beer to drink a lot of and it at times almost comes off that way.

The pumpkin ales aren’t my go to beers by any stretch, but I recall this one being a nice sipper and a change for the norm. Instead I have to say Southern Tier’s pumking was far far better this year. I feel like the malt is just not there and the spices are a touch stronger than in the past and with these beers those two elements have to be just right or the whole things falls apart. I wonder if this is a result of this beer being a touch inconsistent and me just getting a batch that didn’t get it right. That said still a good example of the style. If you enjoy these flavors it is great. If however you want the beer to meld together, I feel that something went a touch wrong with this bottle and maybe this year’s batch is just a hair off. Stick with Pumking for your seasonal this year!

09-14-2011 02:33:02 | More by bobhits
paperbackfoster

3.03/5  rDev -28%

A - Head came up to three fingers before the bartender topped it off. Light, playful body carbonation. A deep orange amber.. pumpkin pie colored, I guess.

S - Pumpkin, obviously, with a surprisingly yeasty smell. The pie spice comes through, and the malt has a toffee sort of character.

T - Pumpkin rind is prevalent over light, toasty malts. My problem with this beer is still the spicing. Allspice, clove, and nutmeg seem overpowering - very much like a pumpkin pie when you dump way too much into the mix. I agree, this 2011 brew is better than it has been - my 2010 experience with it was horrible. But still, I wish the pumpkin stood out more than the spice. To this beer’s credit, I can tell that the malt and pumpkin are well balanced - it’s the overtones that get me.

M - Dry, almost gritty on the tongue. It does a lot to thicken the beer, but it also has that spoonful-o’-cinnamon kind of feel to it.

Overall - Still not my favorite pumpkin beer, but it is decent. I feel that I have to grade it as a specialty/novelty brew, and as such, it does do fairly well. But, to repeat myself, the spice is the issue here. This could be a great pumpkin brew, with a hefty portion of pumpkin rind and that toasted pumpkin seed quality balanced with the malt. The pumpkin pie angle just gives it too much winter spice for me to thoroughly enjoy, for what it is.

09-26-2011 18:23:08 | More by paperbackfoster
Jefe73

3.08/5  rDev -26.8%

I was very excited to try my first Schlafly offering and their Pumpkin Ale offering at that. Poured from the bottle into a goblet.

A - Pours a dark copper color with a very small off-white head. Minimal lacing.

S - I was expecting a more pronounced pumpkin and spice note right off the bat, but I didn't get a whole lot. Went in for another whiff and picked up some cinnamon, some malt and maybe a little vanilla.

T - The initial sip didn't impress me much. I'm getting a big dose of spice that seems over-powering with a bitter, biting finish. Loads of allspice, clove, nutmeg and cinnamon. I was really hoping for some more sweetness from the pumpkin and malts which eventually came into play a little more once this one warmed up a bit.

M - Good carbonation, a little oily feeling on the palate.

O - I was really hoping for more of this beer after all the great reviews. Maybe I had built up in my mind what I thought it would taste like and when it didn't, I was disappointed. Overall, I just wasn't feeling the intense spice profile in this beer. I'll probably seek it out one more time to give it another go.

10-14-2011 14:29:22 | More by Jefe73
psychoholicagogo

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured from a bottle into a plain old pint glass. Good color and robust head. Aroma seems fairly typical of pumpkin ale. All the familiar spices are present. Medium strong malt aroma with notes of caramel and toastiness. Flavor is strong and immediate of clove with a mild bitterness and malt flavor. Clove is immediate and almost overpowering in my opinion. It led to a sharp flavor on the back of my tongue and an unpleasant lingering flavor in the finish. Simply too much clove in my opinion.

10-28-2009 23:40:28 | More by psychoholicagogo
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.13/5  rDev -25.7%

A big "Thank You" to diekia & Jayli for getting this beer to me. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light golden brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of pumpkin, spices, caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out quite spicy with flavors of clove, cinnamon and nutmeg that are quickly followed by sweet flavors of caramel & pumpkin. There's a decent hops presence and a hearty malt character that provide a little bit of balance. The after-taste is sweet and slightly spicy.

M: Smooth and a little crisp but kind of syrupy, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Flavorful, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, it's a decent beer but there are better ones that I've had in the style.

12-13-2009 02:59:58 | More by TheManiacalOne
bum732

Maryland

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

S: Sweet cinnamon, lots of pumpin pie spice, clove, quite a floral note along with some meaty pumpkin. Banana bread as it warms.

L: Clear dark amber. Not much head or retention, ring of foam.

T: Sweet pumpkin, very sweet with some background pumpkin spices. Low earthy bitterness with loads of brown sugar. Finishes pretty sweet with some additional pumpkin spices.

M: Medium low carbonation, medium bodied.

Way too sweet, although flavors were there. I guess people like their pumpkin beers really sweet (Pumpking). Not for me.

09-21-2011 03:14:00 | More by bum732
teromous

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

A: Hazy medium shade of brown with a minimal off-white head that leaves no lacing.

S: Mellow hints of spice, nutmeg comes to my nose first then cinnamon picks up right at the end. It reminds me a bit of french toast. I get a little bit of alcohol. It smells pretty good.

T: Lots of cinnamon flavor. It reminds me of biting into a piece of apple pie. There even seems to be a bit of apple flavor there too. I can't tell if it's from the alcohol or what but it's good. There's a light toasted malt flavor with a hint of whisper of bitterness. It tastes really good.

M: The mouthfeel is very nice. It has a nice presence without being too light or too thick. It feels a tad light on carbonation, but otherwise it's very good.

O: Overall a very interesting beer. I still think it tastes a lot more like apple pie than pumpkin though. If you're a fan of apple pie you'll really like it. If you're a fan of pumpkin beers I think you will enjoy it too. One notable positive attribute of this beer is that it is 8.0% and doesn't have a strong offensive alcohol flavor.

08-10-2013 02:09:50 | More by teromous
DaveBlack

3.28/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep orange-ish brown color. Maybe an inch of head that disappears quickly with no lace at all.

S: The aroma of this beer hits you like a ton of bricks. You don't even have to get your nose close to it to smell cinnamon, allspice and pumpkin. Outstanding.

T: Really a letdown after such an intense aroma. There's just not a whole lot going on. It's sweet, you can still taste the pumpkin and the spices, but there's not much beer to back it up: no hops, nothing to balance out the sweet spices. The whole flavor just kind of falls flat. Can really taste the alcohol, too. This just isn't a very well balanced beer in any way.

M: Pretty good mouthfeel, some nice carbonation, goes down smooth. The alcohol really sticks in the back of my throat, which is unusual for a beer, but not entirely unpleasant.

D: Definitely easy to drink. Hard to miss the alcohol. I would drink one if someone offered it to me, but I wouldn't buy it because I don't think it's worth the price.

I always have high hopes for fall seasonals, but very few live up to my expectations. Coming out of the bottle this looks and smells great, it just doesn't deliver on the flavor.

09-23-2010 01:26:00 | More by DaveBlack
FernMaster

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured from a bottle into a Pint Glass.
The Appearance of this beer rocks. The pour is great with three fingers of foam. The head stays for a little bit then disappears after twenty seconds or so, perfect timing in my opinion. It gives you enough time to appreciate the appearance and smell the beer properly before tilting it back. It's a nice orange reddish color with a little bit of bubbling action. Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale may have the best smell of any pumpkin beer I've ever had. All of the spices are intense, the cinnamon, nutmeg and clove work in a perplexingly good culmination of flavors and scents. I walked around my house and put the beer under my roommate's noses and then slow on the cue I'd exclaim, "Smell." (As if they had a choice then.) I'm beginning a new thing of wanting the scent of beers made into candles, this is one such beer. But then comes the taste. I'm torn on this one like I'm Michael Bay's plot structure. Instead of the dichotomy of racism and explosions (Bay), it's my love for pumpkin beer and this beer too much of a pumpkin. The taste hits your senses in the face like it's Chris Brown. My immediate reaction was, 'whoa I love this beer' and then I thought, 'ow.' It's just too much at once. I love pumpkin beers, but there's just too much spice action in this one - so much so that it kills my enjoyment of the beer. I cringe every time I take a drink; it's just so sweet. I'll drink my 6pack and enjoy it well enough, but I don't think I'll buy another.

09-28-2009 02:02:31 | More by FernMaster
sukwonee

Washington

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottle, poured into a pint glass.

A: Very little head, little amount of lacing, Reddish, Orang-y, Brown. I can see lots of tiny bubbles and very transparent.

S: Cinnamon, Cinnamon candy, brown sugar, some... dark fruit... can't really tell what it is... maybe fig? and obviously pumpkin. Strong smell. Not sure if I like it, but smell is definitely there.

T: I feel like I am drinking melted cinnamon candy... cold... not very flattering... all the flavor comes out at the front... and then... fades... not much after-taste (finishes sweet though)... not a big fan of what I am tasting

M: Starts off crisp, but somehow all the carbonation fades away very quickly. finishes very very flat... weird...

O: Maybe this bottle is too old? (bottled 2011 fall)... not sure... but it tasted very flat to me... Not a huge fan of this beer.

04-14-2012 05:48:52 | More by sukwonee
baos

Indiana

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured half bottle into rocks glass. Nice bourbon color, not much of a head, and the head completely disappears. Nice spicy malty aroma and flavor. Get a bit of a pumpkin flavor with maybe a bit of pumpkin pie spices. Marynka hops Malts include 2-row and Crystal malted barley, Munich malt, wheat malt, chocolate malt, and I think I get a bit of pumpkin pie spices. I get a bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and maybe ginger? A tad bit boozy for this low of ABV, but it fades quickly into a nice dry finish. Pretty watery mouthfeel. Over all I think this would be a good match to any Thanksgiving din din. The Great Pumpkin hasn't arrived, but this is a good brew to enjoy while you await his or her arrival.

11-13-2012 01:58:45 | More by baos
TappaKeggaBrew

3.33/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Clear and coppery. It poured with a thick, creamy head that lingered long enough to make me start to crave it, especially once I got a whiff.

S: The first whiff was exactly like pumpkin pie, from the spices to the pumpkin to the toasty crust. The second and third sniffs revealed a little more malt each time.

T: Initial taste on the front of my tongue was wonderful, but as soon as I swallowed the smooth, floral sweetness was overpowered with a strong, almost chemical spice wave, plus a potent bitter bite. It was pleasant as long as I kept swigging, but as soon as the liquid cleared my mouth, the harshness of the spices returned.

M: A little oily feeling. Carbonation was fair, but not outstanding (gone with the head?)

O: What promised from its pour and scent to be a wonderful ale left me a bit disappointed. I think they should have eased off on the spices a little, and they could have had a scrumptious seasonal ale.

10-08-2011 20:40:25 | More by TappaKeggaBrew
Misfit138

Tennessee

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- deep orange with cream colored head that dissolved quickly, leaving only lacing

S- Smells as expected, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger. Its all there.

T- There is much of what it smells like, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, hints of alcohol, somewhat bitter finish.

M- Fairly heavy, but this is 8% alcohol afterall, with mild carbonation.

D- I don't know if I could drink allot of these. Maybe in the winter or fall. It creates a warming feeling when consumed as well. Could be the alcohol and ginger. I would be willing to give another try when it isn't so warm outside. This bottle apparently is a year old also, which may have affected the flavor.

08-22-2009 02:04:40 | More by Misfit138
ReDNeCk98

3.38/5  rDev -19.7%

Color - Color was very nice reddish orange.

Smell - Was very excellent smelled like pumpkin pie with all the cinnamon nutmeg and pumpkin.

Taste - Taste was ok you get the spices very well along with a nice pumpkin kick mixed in. Taste was a killer for me, I believe IMHO that there is to much carbonation in this beer. I think it would be better it it were smoother and less carbonated.

Other - No head because of a slow pour, and also no lacing.

09-11-2010 05:01:21 | More by ReDNeCk98
lespaulrocker

Tennessee

3.38/5  rDev -19.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Yazoo pint glass.

A: Poured a deep amber/orange color with a great, one finger tan head. Very aesthetically pleasing and inviting.

S: Very distinct aroma, smells like pumpkin pie and autumn. Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg.

T: Good taste, tastes like pumpkin pie (my favorite dessert) with a touch of alcohol and some malts and floral hops to finish.

M: A lot of carbonation but it's not overpowering. Medium bodied with a clean finish.

D: Very drinkable, doesn't seem like it is 8% ABV.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. It's a great autumn offering and one I'd drink again, but not the best thing I've ever had.

09-24-2010 02:06:06 | More by lespaulrocker
Ds650rida

3.39/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I read all the hype and went on a manhunt to find this beer. Finally came across a 6 pack. Date on bottle is 9/3/2013, so a fairly fresh brew. Poured into curvy pint glass.

Appearance- pours a very clear dark amber. Off white 1/2 finger head dissipates quickly.

Smell- heavy spices, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, pumpkin aroma up front.

Taste- spices are heavy up front, the pumpkin is somewhere behind it all. Not what i was expecting. Taste is more of an octoberfest beer.

Mouthfeel- the pumpkin shows itself a bit more in the finish. Creamy with a decent amount of alcohol.

Overall- this is a decent pumpkin beer, far from great in my opinion. After reading the hype I was unpleasantly surprised. I hope that I got a bad batch and next time i'll give it another go.

09-26-2013 21:54:39 | More by Ds650rida
Taipans

3.4/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Nice Darker orange color, white head, minimal lacing

S- Strong Spice armoma, I can't really smell any pumpkin, overall nice seasonal smell.

T- I don't notice a very strong pumpkin flavor present, maybe its the heavy use of spice thats in the way? I taste cinnamon, and possibly a touch of nutmeg. I was let down by no pumpkin after taste.

M- Fairly smooth, medium body, pretty tingly carbonation.

D- I like this as a colder fall brew, it wasn't very cold when I had it (80's and humid) so it might of detracted from my experience. I do like this beer, but wish there was a stronger pumpkin presence.

09-10-2007 12:01:23 | More by Taipans
RandomExile

Maryland

3.41/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Mohagany/red, dark but thinly translucent
S: apple, cinnamon, clove
T: fermented apples, clove, nutmeg, slightly dry finish
M: a hint of bite, but warm and homey, a bit like a mulled cider, creamy
O: Pretty good, it makes sense why this is one of the more popular pumpkins. It might be a little too sweet for me, like ultra-fine grown-up apple juice, but drinkable, especially in smaller quantities.

10-22-2013 02:12:53 | More by RandomExile
biglobo8971

3.43/5  rDev -18.5%

stole sips from the wife's glass. Was poured from bottle into a pub glass. The wife and I disagree on this beer. She prefers sweeter pumpkin beers that have mixture of more fall and seasonal flavors (clove, cinnamon, etc.) I personally enjoyed it enough to review.
Color is ehhh. Not very exciting at all. No head, no lacing, ehh in color. Smell is of slight pumpkin, just pumkin, no spice. The taste matches the smell, pumpkin. Slight sweetness with not any other flavors able to be picked out. I like it, wife hates it. I apppreciate it as just a pumpkin beer, she wanted more of a pumpkin pie taste to it. The mothfeel is easy to drink, this beer seems a bit thin to me, which could help out the mouthfeel. Decent beer, pumpkinn beers are not my favorite, so wont add to wants, but would suggest it to people who do not prefer spicey pumpkin beers.

11-06-2011 20:47:42 | More by biglobo8971
cjgiant

District of Columbia

3.44/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours auburn with no head retention. Midway through drink, it looked more like a rise wine or bourbon. The smell has berry and plum notes along with the pumpkin spice notes.

My first sips were enjoyable, even though the fruitiness noted in the nose was just as present in the taste. The fall spiciness was nice, and perhaps the only off-putting thing was the obviousness of the alcohol.

As I sipped it more, it seemed to lose its effervescence and tasted more like it looked, like a fortified wine. Because it's "beeriness" faded, I rated it down. My initial tastes had me rating it about .5 higher. Maybe I had a glass from a bad keg.

I will have to mark this for a re-try.

10-09-2013 22:07:07 | More by cjgiant
JRed

3.45/5  rDev -18.1%

Deep amber/red in body with off-white head that fades to a film over top. Sweet aroma of pumpkin sweets, cinnamon, carrot cake, and light booze in the background. Light flavors of pumpkin treats, cinnamon, hazelnut, minor grass notes, light booze but not warming. Too light in body for the flavors here and light carbonation. A bit too watery for my preference.

09-22-2012 00:39:13 | More by JRed
weeare138

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to hopdog for sharing this one...
Appears a transparent copper toned amber with a small white head that quickly fizzles out into a mild cap. Small spots are left around the glass.
Smell is of spicy pumpkin pie with doughy bread, and a touch of caramel.
Taste mimcs the aromas with hints of cinnamon, cloves, all-spice, dried juniper berries, and Chinese 5-spice.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, spiced with pumpkin bread and roasted walnuts lingering into a thin finish.

11-08-2007 21:26:45 | More by weeare138
FtownThrowDown

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a very dark amber color with no head. Smell is nutmeg and clover. Not getting all the cinnamon that was advertised, but still a decent nose. Taste is exactly the same as the nose. Taste has a acidic, bitterness taste to it. Medium body in the mouthfeel. This is a very sessionable beer, but at 8% it will definitely be felt.

03-14-2009 00:53:14 | More by FtownThrowDown
SFLpunk

Vermont

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

Thanks to chubbyswans for this bottle! Front label date Bottled 08 05 2010. Fresh!

Pours a deep ruby with almost no head. Nose is big and spicy - cinnamon stick is right up front and nutmeg too. Some vinous notes too. Palate is bright and densely packed. First sip reminds me of mulled cider that has been chilled down again. Cinnamon stick and nutmeg again, very present, but lots of delicious red apple cider flavors too.

Couldn't find any of the pumpkin in here - very heavy handed on the spicy, but damn tasty. I usually HATE pumpkin spice beers, but this is solid. Don't want more than one, but luckily, all I have is one. Thanks again chubbyswans. Good ups.

09-03-2010 04:22:22 | More by SFLpunk