Schlafly Pumpkin Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 09-16-2006

Our Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie. Pounds of pumpkin form a malty foundation that supports the fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

While pumpkin beers were produced in the early days of the American colonies, they were different from the pumpkin beers we know today. Colonists used pumpkin and squash as the fermenting medium, since malted barley was scarce. Once malt became more readily available, it replaced these alternatives to grain. In the 1990’s, American craft brewers reintroduced the style to the delight of pumpkin beer drinkers.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,926 | Reviews: 498

1.16/5  rDev -72.4%

1.5/5  rDev -64.4%

1.5/5  rDev -64.4%

1.72/5  rDev -59.1%

1.75/5  rDev -58.4%

I am simply not a fan. I know so many people that rave about this pumpkin ale and compared to other varieties available it just falls short.

2.12/5  rDev -49.6%

2.15/5  rDev -48.9%

2.2/5  rDev -47.7%

2.4/5  rDev -43%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I had this beer 2 times in a bottle at Churchkey and at Number 9 1/2 in DC. This beer is overwhelming with spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice. I want to like this beer but I just can't. I could not taste much pumpkin since the spices take over the beer. I definitely did not taste any flavor of vanilla. I prefer some vanilla taste with my pumpkin beers.

2.5/5  rDev -40.6%

2.5/5  rDev -40.6%

2.75/5  rDev -34.7%

2.78/5  rDev -34%

I had this last year on tap, and thought it was a big dark brown ale that tasted like pumkin pie. This year, well it isn’t coming off even remotely the same.

Pours an amber color with a bit of activity, clear yet hard to see through. Head is merely and after thought.
Smells of nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin, and amber malt.
This honestly drinks a bit too much like a kolch or lager in the body this year. Lost is the creamy body and deep sweetness for the past. Spices dominate and the pumkin and malt fall to the back ground. Some hops in the mouth again seem to contribute to a funky poorly mixed beer. Where is the pie curstg goodness from last year when I had this on tap?

You can feel the weight of the alcohol while the beer comes off rather medium the beer clearly is a monster in hiding. The spices and bite from the hops distract. Certainly not a beer to drink a lot of and it at times almost comes off that way.

The pumpkin ales aren’t my go to beers by any stretch, but I recall this one being a nice sipper and a change for the norm. Instead I have to say Southern Tier’s pumking was far far better this year. I feel like the malt is just not there and the spices are a touch stronger than in the past and with these beers those two elements have to be just right or the whole things falls apart. I wonder if this is a result of this beer being a touch inconsistent and me just getting a batch that didn’t get it right. That said still a good example of the style. If you enjoy these flavors it is great. If however you want the beer to meld together, I feel that something went a touch wrong with this bottle and maybe this year’s batch is just a hair off. Stick with Pumking for your seasonal this year!

2.8/5  rDev -33.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Schlafly Pumpkin Ale from The Schlafly Tap Room