Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Pumpkin AleSchlafly Pumpkin Ale

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 09-16-2006

Our Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie. Pounds of pumpkin form a malty foundation that supports the fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

While pumpkin beers were produced in the early days of the American colonies, they were different from the pumpkin beers we know today. Colonists used pumpkin and squash as the fermenting medium, since malted barley was scarce. Once malt became more readily available, it replaced these alternatives to grain. In the 1990’s, American craft brewers reintroduced the style to the delight of pumpkin beer drinkers.

Reviews: 533 | Hads: 2,111
4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

This is my favorite Pumpkin beer and I was lucky to have acquired one. This is like a piece of pumpkin pie that is not overly spiced. I get the pumpkin on the front and the crust and whipped cream on the back end. Superb !!!

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap at the Hotel Frederick lounge in Boonsville, MO...

Very nice pumpkin orange color; very clear; very little head but respectable rings and lacing on the glass. Medium body; warm and crisp.

A pretty solid offering from Schafly. It doesn't overpower you with spices or pumpkin yet definitely delivers a warm, very satisfying ale that is very apt for the fall harvest season.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

Ruby-copper body, light tan head. Smells of baking spices (mostly cinnamon) and pumpkin. Flavor adds pie crust maltyness and even some banana. This has some meat on it, much more than simple sweetness. Smooth body.
Awesome pumpkin beer, none of the spices were overpowering, yet it remain in pumpkin pie territory (as opposed to pumpkin beer territory, which is usually gross). I like that at 8% it has some muscle behind it, too.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Look: Surprising dark amber: Nice +1" of white head that dissipates as it warms.
Lacing as the glass tilts.

Nose: In some ways, this might be the best part of the beer; Full bouquet of the
major pumpkin pie spices, but not artificially so.

Taste: Pumpkin and spice come thru upfront with the booze; Some definite sweetness, but not
as much as some. No bitterness to speak of. Very easy drinking. Not sure I'd call it pure pumpkin
pie however.

Feel: Decent carbonation; Not overly thin, thick, or sticky.

Overall: A beer that really seems to hone in what one might expect from a pumpkin; a nicely spiced brown or red ale, that's malt-centric, without any residual bitterness. Probably in my top 3 for this style thus far this season.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into pint glass. The color is a hazy orange-amber with a thick milk-white head and generous lacing. The smell features pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar, caramel, and malt. It's a very pleasant aroma. The taste is decidedly pumpkin, nicely spiced, with a sweet brown sugar finish. This ale really tastes like pumpkin and not just the spice. It's really delicious. Medium-bodied and pleasantly carbonated, it is very drinkable at 8.0 ABV. Overall, this is a great pumpkin ale! Often imitated, (almost) never duplicated.

4.19/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle into a Duvel glass. Pours a deep orange/red and settles as a vibrant, amber/copper in the glass, transluscent in appearance. The initial 1/2 finger head of eggshell foam quickly bubbled down to a creamy lacing. Modest aroma of sweet pumpkin spice, nutmeg, brown sugar, cinammon, and vanilla. Super creamy mouthfeel with quite a bit of carbonation. Delicious pumpkin spice all the way through on the taste with a greater balance middleways and through the finish than initially. I get a bit of the nutmeg and vanilla on the finish, which is very smooth. Sweet on the aftertaste.

One of the best pumpkin beers I've had. It does have a big, pumpkiny taste - same as ST Pumking, NB Pumpkick, and the lick. What those beers were missing, for me, this one has; great balance, consistent taste, and a wonderful mouthfeel. This one is the real deal - liquid pumpkin pie and cool whip. I'm not the biggest pumpkin beer fan, but I honestly can't find anything bad about this beer.

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From the growler, it pours a pumpkiny amber with a lovely tan head. Lacing as the beer is consumed. Cinnamon, spices, pumpkin pie scents tantalize the nose. Sweetish pumpkin pie flavor caresses the tongue. Wow! Yummy!

3.63/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

10/4...draft. Pours light to dark wooden brown with a rim of white foam. Molasses nose. Pumpkin mash flavor. Cinnamon. Spices. Touch of sweetness holds on the tongue. Brown sugar mixed in. Natural pumpkin and flavored. Tasty.

The only thing this needs is a dollop of whipped cream on top! This is hands down the best pumpkin ale I have ever had. I think they took beer and pumpkin pie fillin to a vitamix, put it in a bottle and said "You're welcome!" ... thank you Schlafly!

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A very good Pumpkin ale but not the best. I have been brewing Pumpkin ales as long as I have known it was possible, so I am hard to impress. It is impressive and a joy to consume. Mouth feel is too thin for my preference. But when I inhale, I can taste the spices, a shiver passes through me that involve the temperature of outside.

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not generally a fan of the pumpkin beer fad, but this one is something special.

Pours a deep orange-brown. Awesome smell. Heavy on the spice notes. I get cinnamon, nutmeg, gingerbread, pie crust, and just a hint of the pumpkin. An audible "wow" from me on the first sip. Like pumpkin pie, but super, super balanced and drinkable. The 8% ABV is basically nonexistent. Some people prefer Southern Tier Pumking, but I think that beer is way too over-the-top and syrupy. Schlafly pumpkin is one of the best seasonal beers I've ever had and easily the best pumpkin one.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Top five pumpkin ales, and possibly #1 in drinkability. The balance is just perfect. The spices don't overwhelm the pumpkin, there's a fair amount of alcohol and even a bit of sourness to round out all the flavors. The smell is nice, the flavor is great, just an excellent all around beer. For not my favorite style, this version is really a standout.

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours clear, light orange-brown, with one inch head. Taste is brown sugar, clove, cinnamon, and toasted malt. On the sweeter side of the pumpkins that I have had recently. One of the better pumpkin ales I have had this year. This will make my yearly get list.

4.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12-ounce bottle into a tumbler. The sampled product had about 14 months on it. Pumpkin pie / mulling spices - cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, orange peel - dominate the aroma and are prevalent on the palate as well. Nice pumpkin backbone providing lots of up-front sweetness and a creamy mouthfeel. Warmth from the alcohol becomes more prominent as the beer warms up, with a slight astringence (think cinnamon stick) on the finish. If you don't like pumpkin pie, this one probably isn't for you.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Not my favorite style. This is the best of the ubiquitous pumpkin ales out there I have found. My favorite in the pumpkin patch is PumpKyn by Avery - Amazing brew with ridic ABV!

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pour isn't overly impressive, deep amber with minimal white foam. Little to no lacing. The aroma is very nice, not shockingly led by pumpkin. Plenty of nutmeg, clove, spices. and a hint of malty sweetness. This tastes exactly how I want a pumpkin ale to taste. A nice malty base with waves of flavor. Again, pumpkin, spices, nutmeg, caramel, and a lasting sweetness. The carbonation is fairy high on a nice medium body. Probably the best pumpkin ale I've had.

4.03/5  rDev -3.4%

Really good pumpkin beer. Pours little to no head. Can real smell the strong aroma of pumpkin and spice. Has a creamy pumpkin pie taste which you expect from a pumpkin ale and you still know you're drinking a beer with it being 8%. Really nice beer to enjoy when the temps start cooling off.

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%

I'm not much of a pumpkin beer fan, but this is by far my favorite. It's shocking how good it tastes and the feel has the creaminess that real pumpkin pie has. I enjoy it quite a bit

3.81/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

one of the first pumpkin beers of the year for me, the nights are cooling off and even though they have been out for months, it finally seems appropriate to have one. this one was shared with me by a friend who got hooked up from out of state, i have always liked schlafly, been there a few times, but somehow never had this one. its a pale orange color, nice and heady, but also quite soft in its overall complexion. its a spiced beer for sure, but its much more subtle and less abrasive than so many of its peers. i can actually taste the squash in this, which is less and less common every fall. the cinnamon is the most forward spice, and there seems to be a roasty post caramel vibe to the grain that really works well with these flavors. its lighter in sweetness and in body than a lot of others too, which means i could sit down and session a bunch of them without getting burnt out. it absolutely shocks me that this is as strong as it is, i would have guessed below 6% abv, there isnt a trace of it at all, which blows my mind. majorly approachable for that strength. one of my favorite seasonals i have had from these guys!

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very enjoyable pumpkin beer. Has good spice flavor. Pumpkin flavor is very natural and not artificial tasting. Probably best pumpkin beer I've had in a 12 oz. bottle format.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look - Burnt orange / light brown color
Smell - tons of pumpkin, spice, cinnamon, you get little hints of the pie crust, pumpkin pie, nutmeg, clove
Taste - Follows the nose. PUMPKN PIE!!!

Overall - Hands down the best pumpkin beer out!

4.24/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Brownish gold in appearance with a little foam and some lacing.
This had a great mouthfeel feel and spice flavor.
One of the better pumpkin ales I've had.

4.02/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottled 7/10/15.

Pours a hazy dark orange-brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon stick, and pie crust aromas. Taste is much the same with pumpkin pie spice, pie crust, and earth flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with great pumpkin spice qualities that come through slightly better in the smell to me.

Serving type: bottle.

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

In the build a sixer section at Hy-Vee, served in a regular glass.
Has almost a ruby color. The aroma is heavy with spice, almost made my eyes bulge out of my head. The taste is great! Lots of spice with a good malt base. I can tell the pumpkin flavoring isn't from real pumpkin because it doesn't have that certain earthiness of real pumpkin. But this is so good I don't care. I haven't been in the mood to write a full review for a while but I'm so impressed that I'm writing this while watching Into Darkness. The body is the ideal density and finishes leaving some cinnamon behind. This is a fantastic pumpkin brew. Next time I'll try it with a cinnamon and sugar rim.

4.64/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Pours a dark mahogany color with a fluffy two finger head. Head is an off white and dissipates fairly quickly.

S - A great smelling beer that is fairly spot on to that of pumpkin pie, though I don't know if was my beer but the aromas felt fairly mute from what I expected. I feel I need to try another in order to see was just a dud or not.

T - Tastes like a pumpkin pie! Very well done brew, not as overpowering as many pumpkin ales and has a particularly prominent taste of bread flavorings; nearly spot on to that of pie crust. An incredibly well done pumpkin ale overall that isn't too dominant lyrics tasting ot pumpkin.

M - Medium - full bodied beer. Very smooth feeling. Carbonation is well balanced as well.

O - At first I was a little skeptical but the beer exceeded expectations. I've had a decent amount of pumpkin ales now and I must say this is probably the best one I've had; the greatest aspect for me is the bread/malt flavorings that remind me of pie crust. Perfect beer for fall!

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale from The Schlafly Tap Room