Schlafly Pumpkin Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 09-16-2006

Our Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie. Pounds of pumpkin form a malty foundation that supports the fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

While pumpkin beers were produced in the early days of the American colonies, they were different from the pumpkin beers we know today. Colonists used pumpkin and squash as the fermenting medium, since malted barley was scarce. Once malt became more readily available, it replaced these alternatives to grain. In the 1990’s, American craft brewers reintroduced the style to the delight of pumpkin beer drinkers.

4.71/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great tasting beer which appears / tastes to change slightly every year! I believe this was one of the first pumpkin beers I ever tried, and to date, is still my favorite. There are lot of things going on w/ this beer that make it a great try for people of many different tastes. I would recommend this beers as a must try to start out your fall season (every year!)

2.25/5  rDev -46.6%

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

This parade of pumpkin beers is out of control! Every time that I think that I have opened my last one for the year, another one pops up.

From the bottle: "A Special Release, Pumpkin Ale is available for a limited time, with a new style every few months."; "Schlafly Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie."; "I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion - Henry David Thoreau".

My pour created two fluffy fingers of deep-tan head with great retention. Color was a deep-copper (SRM = > 22, < 27) with filament-quality brightness. Nose was very sweet and spicy and since they were going for pumpkin pie, I would say that they hit the mark! The label mentioned "cinnamon, nutmeg and clove" and I was having a tough time discerning one form another. Mouthfeel was slightly viscous, syrupy and this was one of the sweetest pumpkin beers that I can remember drinking. It seemed dangerously close to diabetic shock in a bottle. Each successive sip was unrelenting in terms of its sweetness and I was feeling kind of overwhelmed. The finish was (finally) both spicy and sweet, but if I have railed against unbalanced in terms of spices, here was unbalanced in terms of malty sweetness. Whew! Definitely NOT my cup of pumpkin, but as always, YMMV.

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale from The Schlafly Tap Room