Schlafly Pumpkin Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Our Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie. Pounds of pumpkin form a malty foundation that supports the fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

While pumpkin beers were produced in the early days of the American colonies, they were different from the pumpkin beers we know today. Colonists used pumpkin and squash as the fermenting medium, since malted barley was scarce. Once malt became more readily available, it replaced these alternatives to grain. In the 1990’s, American craft brewers reintroduced the style to the delight of pumpkin beer drinkers.

(Beer added by: maxpower on 09-16-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reagan1984

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Well this is a well traveled beer. I received it from another BA who is no longer on the site. (see review just below mine..(Zym...in case it's deleted) Anyway, he got it from Fernmaster in a previous trade... So I'll thank Fernmaster since he's still around.

Beer pours with a finger+ of fizzy off white head that quickly settles to a cap. The beer is a deep orange/amber color. No lacing to speak of. Good clarity, but there is a slight amount of particulate matter floating. (tiny)

Aroma is quite robust and very nice. Fall spices and even some pumpkin itself. Brown sugar as well.

Very good flavor. Good balance with just a touch too much sweetness. Brown sugar, pumpkin, nice spice profile including clove, cinnamon and perhaps some allspice.
Very bread like towards the end. You can definitely detect a higher ABV. I didn't look until I typed the previous sentence. 8% is about right from the flavor, although I was not anticipating this beer being that high. Reminds me of DFH Punkn' This is really nice to drink.

Medium in body, slightly less than syrupy and smooth. Slight carbonation.

Very drinkable and enjoyable. I am very happy that I had the opportunity to try this beer.

Well done Schlafly. I am glad that this bottle made the interesting trip from Fernmaster to me.

01-17-2010 18:30:24 | More by Reagan1984
DefenCorps

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

I've had this on my wants for over a year and I finally got to try it - and as an extra too. Thanks Scott (heliosphann). This was bottled 23 Aug 2008

The color of a shiny copper penny when decanted, this beer has a thin off-white head that doesn't hang around too long, receding to a thin ring quite rapidly. I really like the color, so I won't be too harsh on the score.

The nose is quite excellent. Delicate with a blend of pumpkin and cream, I'm glad that this isn't a spice bomb. Mildly cidery in a way that really works well the cinnamon, the nutmeg rounds out the nose with the ginger being rather noticeable. I get the feeling that age has really helped this come together with the spices and the light sweetness being really well integrated.

The palate opens quite sweet with brown sugar, caramel, burnt sugar before the nutmeg and cinnamon come through, along with pumpkin and crystallized ginger. Quite like a good pumpkin pie, this tastes pretty darned good. Medium-light in body with a higher level of carbonation than it needs, the mid-palate feels a little watery. The finish, however, is good with a moderate combination of ginger, cinnamon and pumpkin. Thoroughly enjoyable, I'm thankful for the chance and will seek out in the future.

12-19-2009 01:41:48 | More by DefenCorps
twiggamortis420

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

12 oz bottle pours a very clear copper color with a very thin tan foam that fades to nothingness pretty quick. Just an ok looker.

Smell is one of the best, if not the best, pumpkin beers I have ever laid nose upon. It is the closest thing to pumpkin pie I have found in a brewski. The spices are not too heavy, but they have a nice sweetness and pumpkin balance.

Taste leans more towards the sugar-coated gingerbread end of the pumpkin ale spectrum. A bit sweet, but it helps balance out the spices nicely. It has a great gourdy pumpkin-ness to it that seems to be difficult to get into a beer and missing from many examples of the style. I do not find the beer to be as tasty as the nose indicates, but it is still a damn fine pumpkin ale. There is just a kiss of alcohol that is probably accentuated by the low carbonation, but does not taste like 8% at all. Good beer, but the search for the perfect pumpkin ale continues...

12-17-2009 17:38:17 | More by twiggamortis420
FreshmanPour77

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Reviewed on 12/14/09
Enjoyed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Dark cloudy Brown, 1 finger of dark cream foam, lots of carbonation throughout

S - Strong cinnamon spices really reminded me of pumpkin pie, smell some malt notes but couldn't finger out any hops

T - Medium bodied, spiced malt flavor, a little hop bitterness at the end but fairly smooth going down

M - Medium bodied brew, spiced malt flavor, a little hop bitterness at the end but not overpowering

D - Very drinkable pumpkin brew. Another great brew from Schlafly. I great brew for the season's but due to the spices I know I could do only a couple. A great brew to share amongst others.

12-15-2009 15:32:01 | More by FreshmanPour77
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.13/5  rDev -25.7%

A big "Thank You" to diekia & Jayli for getting this beer to me. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light golden brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of pumpkin, spices, caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out quite spicy with flavors of clove, cinnamon and nutmeg that are quickly followed by sweet flavors of caramel & pumpkin. There's a decent hops presence and a hearty malt character that provide a little bit of balance. The after-taste is sweet and slightly spicy.

M: Smooth and a little crisp but kind of syrupy, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Flavorful, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, it's a decent beer but there are better ones that I've had in the style.

12-13-2009 02:59:58 | More by TheManiacalOne
Wasatch

Utah

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks goes out to UncleJimbo for this one.

Pours a very nice clean/clear dark golden amber/brown color, nice carbonation, little fizzy off-white head, with minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is really nice, malty, lots of cinamon/nutmeg/spices, and a good dose of caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, very nice touch of cinnamon/nutmeg/caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a pretty tasty brew, glad to have had a chance to try it.

12-05-2009 02:13:47 | More by Wasatch
Duxx

Missouri

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a burnt orange/brown with minimal to no head. There is not much carbonation bubbling up thru the beer.

S: Strong cinnamon or clove I can't tell which. Very spicy, overwhelms everything else. No discernible malt aroma.

T: Again, strong cinnamon/clove spiced taste. Very warm/hot in the back of the throat. Either from the cinnamon (like a red hot candy) or from the alcohol? Certainly, tastes like pumpkin pie spice but I don't notice the pumpkin flavor.

M: Medium body that comes off creamy like pumpkin pie.

D: Very filling. This is one or possibly 2 beers at a sitting proposition.

11-30-2009 23:29:13 | More by Duxx
msubulldog25

Oregon

A 12 oz. bottle, 'Bottled with love on 08 21 2009' (Happy 3-month birthday, Pumpkin Ale!). Poured to a pint glass. Thanks to unclejedi for both a disdain for pumpkin ales and a bit of spare luggage space with which to ferry this bottle to Portland.

Label: "I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion." - Henry David Thoreau.

A: Looks great at first: a vibrant amber with a skew toward ruby-redness. Plenty of carbonation and a tall cap (almost 2-fingers) of mocha-beige fizz. Good clarity, small streams of mini-carbonation, but the head dies FAR too quickly. Gone in less than a minute, not even a hint of film left. No lace either. Color and clarity are very nice but head retention is a big disappointment. Too big to score above a '3'...

S: Nice aroma, a rich and lightly buttery 'pumpkin pie' spiced sweetness. Cinnamon and nutmeg burst from the glass. Smells. Just. Like. Pie. Yum.

T: Loads of spice: nutmeg and cinnamon and allspice, rooty and bark-like...drying and somewhat akin to black pepper. Maltiness is a bit much; there's just enough spice and latent bitterness for balance. A good example of what the style should be, avoids being artificially 'pumpkin' in my opinion.

M: A little dull, not so carbonated as I'd have liked. medium-full feel (no complaints), but a certain viscous thickness that'd be cloying were it any sweeter. Fortunately the spice gives a good tingle and the elevated alcohol (a tough-to-detect 8%) is held in check.

D: Among the more flavorful pumpkin ales I've enjoyed. A little livlier feel and better look and this would rank among my favorites. As is, the spicing and aroma draw me in and keep me interested. One I'll want again and may go to some lengths to acquire next fall. Good job, Schlafly.

11-22-2009 00:23:55 | More by msubulldog25
CMW

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a clear amber with a nice off-white head. Head fades quickly and leaves a nice ring around the glass.

S - The aroma is very pleasant. Nice caramel malt, nutmeg, cinnamon and other sweet spices. The pumpkin aroma is much stronger than other pumpkin beers.

T - The malt is the first thing I taste but that fades quickly to the sweet flavors. This is about as close to liquid pumpkin pie as you can get. This is very tasty.

M - Carbonation is medium and there is a fairly watery body.

D - Very drinkable and you cannot even notice the higher alcohol content.

11-21-2009 21:51:33 | More by CMW
turamarth

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Served into New Belgium globe w/ nucleation.

Appearance: A creamy white head starts out maybe one finger, and dissipates to a thin layer of bubbles. Body is a nice copperish amber color that, at the heart is nearly opaque.

Smell: Smells like a chai latte. Cinnamon is there, so is the nutmeg. But, the cloves are a little harder to pinpoint. Smell isn't too complex, but that's not a bad thing with this, because it still smells wonderful! I want pumpkin spice candles now.

Taste: Again, Chai Latte. Tastes like a chai that I get from my local barista, only iced and fizzy. Here the cloves do pop out quite a bit more to help edge some of the stronger spicy notes. You have to dig for the hops in this, but they're not supposed to be strong here. This is nommy.

Mouthfeel: A bright carbonation that dances on the tongue is probably the most noticeably thing about the mouth feel. The beer isn't too think or oily, and leaves a nice coating of spice on the roof of the mouth.

Drink: Being 8% abv you would think it would pack a tiny bit of a punch, but it doesn't. As far as I know this could be fairly sessionable. And the flavors mixed with the nice mouthfeel make a pretty drinkable seasonal ale.

11-16-2009 03:37:22 | More by turamarth
cadizkyguy

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

To me, this is the best of the best in pumpkin ales. But it can be very hard to find. I called Roof Brothers in Paducah, KY and they were sold out of this seasonal, then I called Friar Tuck in Savoy (Champaign), IL and asked to have two six packs put aside. Well worth the effort tracking down this stuff. This is my absolute favorite Schlafly brew.

Poured into a Sam Adams sensory glass, a nice two inch foamy head forms. Be careful with the aggressive pour as some frothy goodness cascades over the edge. The frothy head quickly dissipates. But the fun is just beginning. A wonderful smelling beer. I think the smell tells alot about a beer and this one has a wonderful aroma. To me, smells just like pumpkin pie with whipped topping. That's what I imagine as I close my eyes and take in its nutmeg, pumpkin aroma.

The taste is the best part of Schlafly's pumpkin ale. So glad I picked up two six packs. I'm gonna enjoy this one throughout the holiday season. Taste, to me, is liquid pumpkin goodness. Mouthful is not thin like a lot of seasonal offerings. Thus, the drinkability is equally top notch. Even at 8 percent ABV, I can have two of these in one sitting and not feel even slightly buzzed.

As I said earlier, this is the best of the best in pumpkin ales. Great job, Schlafly.

11-11-2009 05:07:37 | More by cadizkyguy
bamadog

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Another addition to my autumn-long pumpkin ale taste test, and this one is absolutely great. Glad I came across this before they start disappearing from the shelves to make room for other seasonal releases. Pour is from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a perfectly coppery/ruby color; head starts at 1 and 1/2 fingers and fades almost immediately to an uneven layer of thin froth on the surface; body is clear and shows very light carbonation; a thin oily residue is left on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Spices are especially abundant and pouring out of the glass (strong and warm cinammon and nutmeg, as well as a certain carmalized or brown sugar sweetness that reminds me a bit of graham crackers).

Taste: Absolutely fantastic! Wonderful and warm spice flavors are all over the palate and leave me feeling like I just had a piece of pie. Strong cinammon and nutmeg and a very slight flavor of pumpkin flesh are present and dominate every aspect of the flavor. I'm not sure if I'm drinking a beer or having desert.

Mouthfeel: Warm and tingly on the palate (could be from the 8% ABV or spiciness, but it's definitely not from the carbonation); carbonation is fairly mild and smooth; mouth is left slightly sticky and warms the chest down to the belly.

Drinkability: Wonderful flavors and smells; a very filling beer and the ABV is a tad high - while it's great, I don't think I'd want more than one in a night because it sits a little heavy and you can definitely feel the 8% creeping up in the back of the head.

11-09-2009 01:05:27 | More by bamadog
wyattshotmaker

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

decent orange/brown color,alright head.not much lacing.still looks alright. heavy cinnamon in the nose,pumpkin and other spices in the back round.

taste has some pumpkin,cinnamon,overall pumpkin spice dominates though.bit of alcohol warming in the finish. medium bodied,pretty drinkably. wish this was a regular in ohio.

11-08-2009 06:22:30 | More by wyattshotmaker
Jayli

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Consumed 11/1
Acquire this one from Diekia so a big THANK YOU goes out to her!

A: This beer pours a beautiful deep crystal clear amber color with a one finger of off white head. Head recedes quickly with not much lacing to speak of.

N: Nose is of cinnamon, brown sugar and pumpkin. Not an overdose of spicing as per most pumpkin beers.

T: Taste is pumpkin at the forefront blended nicely in to some caramel malts, brown sugar, and a sharp cinnamon finish. The beer is blended nicely that the sharpness completely enhances the beer. As the beer warms, the alcohol becomes mildly detectable.

M: Medium body, low carbonation, oily feel with a slick coating in the finish.

D: By and far one of the best pumpkin beers that I've had. I easily had a few of these on football Sunday. Too bad Schlafly doesn't distribute here!

11-05-2009 23:09:19 | More by Jayli
kels

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

I have to admit I'm surprised I never heard of this beer before. The only BAs I know who seem to really like pumpkin ales claim this is the best, so I couldn't pass an offer to try it. Now I know why I've never seen it in the stores - it goes too fast. Thanks so much RoyMunson for sharing this with me! Review is on the bottle poured into a snifter.

Beer pours the color of bourbon - a nice golden, honey-amber shade with good clarity. A light white fizzy head fades to clumpy, bubbly islands of foam that float along the top of the beer. Spots of sticky white lace freckle the glass.

Aroma is typically my favorite aspect of any pumpkin ale, but this one definitely outshines most of the competition. There is a clear cinnamon essence, but it is as much on the sweet side as on the spicy side and reminds me of snickerdoodle cookies. In addition I get a caramelly essence from the malts that I swear is bottled caramel apples and a hint of brown sugar sweetness and lightly toasted malt. The pumpkin doesn't come out as much as the pumpkin pie spices do, but it's in there, sweetly earthy and rich.

This beer is definitely tasty without killing my tastebuds with one overwhelming flavor as in others of this style. The pumpkin that hid in the aroma really shines in the flavors. I can practically taste the creaminess of the pumpkin pie filling from the thoughts that the taste conjures. The spices are not overwhelming in any way, but they are present in very complimentary form. The light cinnamon, nutmeg, honey and caramel flavors come out subtly along with a creaminess that pulls all the tastes together. The feel falls a little flat for me, but it complements the flavors well, allowing them to dominate the experience.

Beer is definitely drinkable. It is nicely warming in taste and in experience, and the balance of the flavors is very impressive for this style. I enjoy the full-flavoring that is also in many ways subtle. I'll definitely try to find this one along with my Pumking next year!

11-05-2009 03:41:41 | More by kels
naterock

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

poured golden copper into a willi. Some thin white head.

Smells of spices and a hint of pumpkin. Clove, cinnamon, allspice, with a malty sweetness.

Tastes spicy and sweet. mostly spices overpower the pumpkin but it is still a strong enough malt character that makes it a well bodied spice that isn't thin and lifeless. nice balance and a good mouthfeel, could be a bit over-carbonated and cloying. drinks easy but i don't think I could bring myself to put down more than two at a time.

10-30-2009 19:10:34 | More by naterock
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

an extra in a trade from Springdogg, thanks Marc

A - this pumpkin brew is dark orange/ruddy red with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly, no visible carbonation

S - a quality pumpkin aroma, with the assocaited seasonal spices , nutmeg and cinnamon, plus some roasted malts as well

T - the subtle pumpkin-ness is amazing, its a simple flavorful, not overdone pumpkin element, plus the seasonal spices are at the appropriate level, not too subtle, not overzealous, the roasted malts offer a nice balance

M&D - smooth and easy drinking, medium bodied, and lightly carbonated, one of the better pumpkin beers i have ever had, nice introduction to a brewery for me

10-30-2009 02:03:34 | More by sinstaineddemon
dirtylou

Washington

12oz single - scooped from citywide downtown South Bend and consumed pre ND-BC

cellphone notes

appearance: thin burnt orange body, light beige froth

smell: heavy on the spice - cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin seed, clove

taste: would not have guessed this was 8% - this one falls into the class of heavily-spiced pumpkin ales that are not so heavy on the pumpkin...cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, pumpkin seed, cream

mouthfeel: active, a touch spicy

drinkability: good

10-29-2009 19:10:07 | More by dirtylou
psychoholicagogo

3.1/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured from a bottle into a plain old pint glass. Good color and robust head. Aroma seems fairly typical of pumpkin ale. All the familiar spices are present. Medium strong malt aroma with notes of caramel and toastiness. Flavor is strong and immediate of clove with a mild bitterness and malt flavor. Clove is immediate and almost overpowering in my opinion. It led to a sharp flavor on the back of my tongue and an unpleasant lingering flavor in the finish. Simply too much clove in my opinion.

10-28-2009 23:40:28 | More by psychoholicagogo
ltjska04

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into my pint glass, this beer is a clear burnt orange with a nice white head that quickly falls into a lasting ring around the glass. The aroma is of clove, spice, and nutmeg. Smells pretty tasty! Speaking of taste... the first one is like I just bit into a slice of pumpkin pie. This is nice, not fake-tasting like a lot of other pumpkin beers I've had. The mouthfeel is a little thin but the taste lingers and somehow gets better after the beer passes through my esophagus. This is definitely my favorite pumpkin beer and I can't wait to have some more this Thanksgiving.

10-20-2009 00:07:03 | More by ltjska04
mikey711

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

I got a six pack in a trade from Beersis81, who is just a great trader.

A: Burnt orange with a half inch of head that dissapated really quickly into one fine ring around the top. not much carbonation rushes up from the bottom and almost no lacing.

S: MMM, heavily cinnamon spiced without being overwhelming and I love it. This is very much the smell of pumpkin pie that I am used to. Some sweetness comes through, but mainly spices that are spot on.

T: Oh yeah, that is tasty. The cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves are balance nicely by the sweet pumpkin. It is not to sweet or too vegatative. Very much the taste of fresh pumpkin bread.

M: Medium Body with a bit of chalkiness.

D: In my opinion, Pumking has met its match. Slightly heavier on the spices and less sweet, but it also is very well balanced. It does have a few flaws and is not as good once it warms up but definitely a hit in my book

10-15-2009 21:27:22 | More by mikey711
hurstc

Tennessee

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Dark ruby orange color. Very nice to look at. Small head that disappears quick.

Smell: Not for hopheads but i found it delightful. Smells of pumpkin, obviously, nutmeg, really rises from the head, and clove...sort of like a djarum black cigarette...made me want one actually.

Taste: Pumpkin

Aftertaste: Very spirit like, almost like i was drinking bourbon or what not. No real bitterness, malty, but not too strong.

Drinkability: Non ninny pumpkin ale. Strong but festive. Put me in the mood for some good crisp air. I wish i was around a firepit with my bros in the cold weather.

10-07-2009 04:10:04 | More by hurstc
airtocap

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

I had heard about Schlafly's Pumpkin ale from my BDBF (Best Drinking Buddy Forever) last year but couldn't find it anywhere. I happened into a fresh delivery at my favorite microbrew retailer by chance today and jumped on a 6 pack right out of a just-opened case. I wasn't sure of ABV or cost since neither were marked, but based on last year's review I didn't care.

I just opened my first and poured into my favorite snifter. It poured a gorgeous ruby to copper color with a nice 1 finger light golden head that dissipated after about 30 seconds or so with light lacing. Just enough to get a great snuff of the pumpkin and pie spices. Whoa, what a pleasant jolt to the olfactory lobe!

The first sip revealed a spicy nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice bite with a well-rounded balance of malt and caramel to smooth out the bite. A slight pumpkin flavor on the late end with a mild alcohol bite and a finishing bitter pumpkin aftertaste. Very nice for 8.0 ABV.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied which was just right to convey this fall concoction of flavors. Very nice beer to usher in the cooler weather.

Drinkability was very good if you enjoy this style of flavored ale. This is by far the tastiest pumkin ale I have tasted to date. Highly recommended as it met and exceeded my expectations from last years report. Hope I can get at least a few more sixes before it is gone this year!!!

10-02-2009 02:44:23 | More by airtocap
jsh420

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

bottled on 9/08/09

pours clear dark ruby golden brown with little head that fades fast and left no lacing

smells of sweet pumpkiny booze and spices

taste is great - honey sweet pumpkin and spices

mouthfeel is a slick medium body with heavy carbonation

drinkability takes a hit for the 8% abv

10-01-2009 03:08:08 | More by jsh420
FernMaster

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured from a bottle into a Pint Glass.
The Appearance of this beer rocks. The pour is great with three fingers of foam. The head stays for a little bit then disappears after twenty seconds or so, perfect timing in my opinion. It gives you enough time to appreciate the appearance and smell the beer properly before tilting it back. It's a nice orange reddish color with a little bit of bubbling action. Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale may have the best smell of any pumpkin beer I've ever had. All of the spices are intense, the cinnamon, nutmeg and clove work in a perplexingly good culmination of flavors and scents. I walked around my house and put the beer under my roommate's noses and then slow on the cue I'd exclaim, "Smell." (As if they had a choice then.) I'm beginning a new thing of wanting the scent of beers made into candles, this is one such beer. But then comes the taste. I'm torn on this one like I'm Michael Bay's plot structure. Instead of the dichotomy of racism and explosions (Bay), it's my love for pumpkin beer and this beer too much of a pumpkin. The taste hits your senses in the face like it's Chris Brown. My immediate reaction was, 'whoa I love this beer' and then I thought, 'ow.' It's just too much at once. I love pumpkin beers, but there's just too much spice action in this one - so much so that it kills my enjoyment of the beer. I cringe every time I take a drink; it's just so sweet. I'll drink my 6pack and enjoy it well enough, but I don't think I'll buy another.

09-28-2009 02:02:31 | More by FernMaster