Schlafly Pumpkin Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Our Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie. Pounds of pumpkin form a malty foundation that supports the fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

While pumpkin beers were produced in the early days of the American colonies, they were different from the pumpkin beers we know today. Colonists used pumpkin and squash as the fermenting medium, since malted barley was scarce. Once malt became more readily available, it replaced these alternatives to grain. In the 1990’s, American craft brewers reintroduced the style to the delight of pumpkin beer drinkers.

(Beer added by: maxpower on 09-16-2006)
JoePat

Kentucky

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

This beer pours a dark amber with a thin kaki head that dissipates quickly leaving almost no lacing.

The aroma has some strong nutmeg notes with a little clove. A great pumkin pie aroma.

The flavor has a good full malt profile adding some sweetness to a cinnamon and nutmeg flavor. The cinnamon seems to hide in the maltiness offsetting it just like hops.

The mouthfeel is a nice and round and rolls over the tongue with little effort.

This is a nice balance drinkable beer with a good spice flavor but an obvious beer as well.

09-17-2010 01:44:10 | More by JoePat
AlCaponeJunior

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Pretty amber color, clear with a one finger head that dissipates quickly but leaves thin but good lacing.

Smells like a pumpkin pie. Spices, pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slightly grainy smell.

Very tasty. Needs cool whip. Very enjoyable blend of spices, pumpkin, and just good ol' beer goodness. Tasted a little better on tap, but still very good.

Nice feel. Slick, wet and moderately carbonated. Not very bitter, but the aftertaste lingers oh so nicely with a spicy slick feel.

In bottles, and for pumpkin ales, this one rocks. I have yet to find a pumpkin this good that's this affordable (or even available).

And I do love pumpkins.

09-16-2010 21:14:13 | More by AlCaponeJunior
bfields4

Colorado

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Very deep amber color. Perfectly clear. Pours a mellow off white head that dissipates very quickly.

Very spicy smells nutmeg and cinnamon maybe a little vanilla. Reminds me of a baking pumpkin pie.

The taste is reminiscent of the smell. The spices are big here. I don't know if I actually detect pumpkin, but the spices are amazingly well done. Smooth vanilla rolls down the tongue as a hoppy nutmeg infusion fades to a crisp alcohol and cinnamon zing.

There's a good amount of carbonation to lift the spices, but not too much. A little more think maltiness may of made the mouthfeel a little creamier, but the lightness is nice too.

The flavors and alcohol are superbly done, but a little much for the drinkability.

09-14-2010 02:23:04 | More by bfields4
BogleHill

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to great trader birchstick for this one. A very good looking rich amber with frothy light tan head. Aroma is rich, sweet, spicy and nutty. Flavor is on the sweet side, but has great pumpkin flavor with a bunch of spice. Just like pie! Where's my cool whip? abv is well masked too.

09-14-2010 00:07:23 | More by BogleHill
brewerburgundy

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

12oz bottle, goblet, 'Bottled with love on 08 23 2010'.

Deep bronzy orange. The head wasn't bad when poured, but faded just about completely. While nothing is wrong with the way this beer looks, it is unimpressive. Before taking a whiff this beer could pass as an amber with a crappy head.

The nose is candy corn, pumpkin pie, spiced cider, with the sharpness of clove and the roundness of nutmeg being individual aromas. I'm reminded of powdered spiced cider mixes. There is no heat, but the alcohol lurking in the background prevents over-sweetness.

And it is not all that sweet. The flavor gives more of a sense of pumpkin itself. That deep squash flavor is nutty and augmented with brown sugar, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. I still get a little apple cider and again there is obviously alcohol lurking.

The mouth is cidery. It seems like there was no reason other than the marketability and desire for quicker inebriation for the 8% ABV in this beer.

This would probably pair well with Thanksgiving dinner. In fact, I may save one or two for the occasion. For the most part this will fulfill expectations of a pumpkin pie-like beer without being very sweet at all.

09-13-2010 03:20:39 | More by brewerburgundy
blackie

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

a: shaker pint, deep amber in color, dark maple syrup appearance with some orange hues, low head and retention

s: loads of brown sugars, caramel malts, pie spice - cinnamon and clove, sweet, rich pumpkin pie - smells great

m: heavy, slick body with a low level of carbonation

t: heavy caramel malts, brown sugar, trio of pie spice - nutmeg at the front with clove and cinnamon after, creamy squash, sweet and thick with pumpkin pie flavor

d: one of the top pumpkins out there, certainly a sipper, but by nature - more suitable for dessert application than a regular drinker

pint at the Galaxy Hut, Arlington, VA

09-13-2010 02:28:30 | More by blackie
ReDNeCk98

3.38/5  rDev -19.9%

Color - Color was very nice reddish orange.

Smell - Was very excellent smelled like pumpkin pie with all the cinnamon nutmeg and pumpkin.

Taste - Taste was ok you get the spices very well along with a nice pumpkin kick mixed in. Taste was a killer for me, I believe IMHO that there is to much carbonation in this beer. I think it would be better it it were smoother and less carbonated.

Other - No head because of a slow pour, and also no lacing.

09-11-2010 05:01:21 | More by ReDNeCk98
mdfb79

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark amber color with 2 inches of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells exactly like pumpkin pie; smells outstanding. Also some cinnamon, spices, nutmeg, bready malts, and caramel malts. Maybe the best pumpkin ale I've ever smelled.

t - Tastes of pumpkin pie, nutmeg, cinnamon, spices, bready malts, and alcohol.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Very smooth body, and pretty easy to drink.

d - An outstanding pumpkin ale. It looks good, has a great mouthfeel, and an amazing smell. The only knock I would have on it at all is the alcohol in the taste. Will definitely be buying more of this one.

09-07-2010 22:43:19 | More by mdfb79
beerman207

Kentucky

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks to my wife who stopped by the beer store to grab me a growler of one of my favorite pumpkin beers. Tastes great in a bottle - why not have it on growler?

A: Pours very nice - see through caramel color with a head that doesn't stay long but has a decent skim that sticks around

S: Smell is of nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin, a bit of raison, malt, maybe even some slight booze

T: Taste comes through with everything I mentioned in the nose but there's also a bit of caramel in there as well - sweet and bitter tones really play nicely together.

M: Warm feeling going down, smooth and medium carbonation

D: Could have this all night. Good thing it's only a half growler or I would be in trouble tonight.

Schlafly has done a fine job with this ale. I can't really think of many ways they could improve it. I always miss summer around this time of year but this type of beer helps me get through it a little easier!

09-06-2010 22:40:00 | More by beerman207
SFLpunk

Vermont

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

Thanks to chubbyswans for this bottle! Front label date Bottled 08 05 2010. Fresh!

Pours a deep ruby with almost no head. Nose is big and spicy - cinnamon stick is right up front and nutmeg too. Some vinous notes too. Palate is bright and densely packed. First sip reminds me of mulled cider that has been chilled down again. Cinnamon stick and nutmeg again, very present, but lots of delicious red apple cider flavors too.

Couldn't find any of the pumpkin in here - very heavy handed on the spicy, but damn tasty. I usually HATE pumpkin spice beers, but this is solid. Don't want more than one, but luckily, all I have is one. Thanks again chubbyswans. Good ups.

09-03-2010 04:22:22 | More by SFLpunk
rrski198

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Dark amber color. Orange and red hues. Small off white, cream colored head with little to no lacing

S: Nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, alcohol.

T: Good. Very similar to Schlafly's Christmas Ale. Flavor follows the nose. Lots of clove here. For this to be a pumpkin ale, I don't taste much pumpkin. This is the first pumpkin ale I have ever had so maybe this is supposed to be what they are all about, however, all i really get is the other flavors that go into pumpkin pie.

M: Very nice. Full with average to high carbonation. Smooth and fall away quick. Left with a small burn from the booze and the clove again.

D: I could have 2, maybe three. The simple flavors over and over would be to much.

09-03-2010 01:16:14 | More by rrski198
BigJim5021

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Having tried Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale in the bottle a couple years ago, I was interested to see how it would fare on draft. As it turns out, the difference was night and day. Perhaps it had a little to do with the beer only being six days old.

Right off the bat, the beer looks a bit better when it's coming out of a tap. A bigger head with better lacing makes for a more attractive beer.

Not only does it look better, but it smells way better too. It smells just like pumpkin pie. I know people say that about pumpkin ales all the time, but if you ask me they're usually full of utter shit. Most pumpkin ales smell like pumpkin pie spices. There's a huge difference between a finished pie and the spices alone. This smells like a delicious, freshly baked pumpkin pie. Every one of the spices is in perfect balance with the pumpkin aroma, of which all other P-ales I've had have lacked.

Flavor is a big jump in the right direction as well. While it doesn't quite taste as much like a pie as it smells, it's got a lot more flavor than it did out of the bottle. And the biggest difference between draft and bottled is that there is positively no alcohol present with the draft. Tasty stuff.

Mouthfeel is much more lush and full than what I had in the bottle.

Drinkability is definitely higher, but I could see this beer still being a one-and-done for me.

If you have a chance to try this puppy on draft, do so. I'm gonna get ahold of a bottle and see if maybe they just hit all the right notes this year. If it's close to what I had on draft last week, then I'll grab a sixer. This is the first time I've ever been able to say that I liked a pumpkin ale. Hopefully it won't be the last.

Edit: Got ahold of a six-pack, and while the aroma isn't quite as great out of the bottle, this stuff is still really tasty. I picked up a second sixer just in case we can't get anymore around here.

08-28-2010 19:13:15 | More by BigJim5021
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

I tried this one on 8/24. Finally, after a couple of years of drum-beating, I'm getting to try this sought after brew. I picked up a sixer at Norm's in Vienna.

I poured into a pint glass.

A: Orange/red appearance with a little head and tons of carbonation. A definite "see-through" beer - no haze whatsoever.

S: Nutmeg is very upfront, with brown sugar and cloves. Smells like candy. Yum!

T: Impressive! This beer is not a sugary mess, but a very well-balanced fruit/vegetable beer (not a dessert one like "Pumking"), and barely a trace of alcohol. I detect mild honey and marshmallow. Ahhhh...

M: The sweetness in not cloying in any way and the carbonation level is perfect.

D: This may be my new favorite beer of choice around the harvest season. I would never have pegged this as being a brew with an 8% ABV.

Still, Southern Tier's "Pumking" is a force to be reckoned with. I am already planning a pumpkin beer tasting with my wife involving: Dogfish "Punkin", "Pumking", and this tasty brew. It should be interesting!

NOTE: On 11/9/10, I did a pumpkin tasting with Williamsburg Alewerks, Saranac, and this one. The Schlafly still won! I continue to be impressed with this beer.

08-26-2010 01:48:08 | More by Chaney
billab914

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

This one is a new offering in my area this year. It's a little early in the season for me to drink a pumpkin beer but I heard such good things I had to try one. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish snifter. Poured an orange/red color with a thin white head covering the top of the beer.

The aroma is a lot like pumpkin pie. It shows the pumpkin which I always appreciate in pumpkin beers. It also shows some cinnamon and nutmeg spices, but they aren't overdone like a lot of pumpkin beers. Very nice pumpkin and spice aroma.

The taste is a lot like the nose suggested it would be with a nice pumpkin pie flavor coming through. The cinnamon and nutmeg spices are moderate and the pumpkin is present. It's not overly sweet either which is nice. Very nice pumpkin beer flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's definitely one of the better pumpkin beers I've had. I heard it described as Pumking without the whipped cream sweetness, and that really does describe it pretty well. A very welcome addition to the fall seasonals available in my area this year.

08-22-2010 21:08:19 | More by billab914
TheSarge

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

When poured, this brew produces a quickly dissipating light tan head that starts out at about a finger thick, when poured into an imperial pint glass. Color wise, it's copper and has a slight chill haze.

The aroma is very much like pumpkin pie. It's got a creamy, nutmeg, and cinnamon aroma along with the sweet smell of pumpkin.

MMMMmmm.... Tastes like biting into a fresh piece of pie. I am getting everything from the creamy filling, along with the crust. This is a dessert in a bottle.

The brew is full in body, and has a slight oily slickness that makes this brew seem a bit creamy too. There is a mild carbonation and a warming feeling in the end; however, the palate is left well satisfied and moist.

This is my first pumpkin beer ever and I have to say if this style offers great brews like this, I must try more!

08-21-2010 00:27:41 | More by TheSarge
pzrhsau

District of Columbia

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%

On tap at the Churchkey in DC. Another great find by this restaurant.
A: Nice Ruby Brown Amber color with a creamy head at the top.
S: Notes of pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon. Spicy and malty.
T: Great sweet pumpkin flavor right away, has that great mix of flavors that reminds you of a great pie. It finishes with a really deep, but not overpowering, array of spices from cinnamon to the nutmeg (which was most apparent).
D/M: The carbonation is great and it creates a nice thick head that really coats the palate. Very thick autumn brew but very drinkable for how strong it is.

08-18-2010 22:18:05 | More by pzrhsau
stoutfiend27

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

12oz bottle into pint glass...another one in the latest trade with ottovon

a-dark copper color...half inch off white head that fell quickly to a nice ring on top..no lacing good level of bubbles

s-spice and pumpkin pie...smells like grandmas kitchen way back when on thanksgiving and christmas...could just sit and smell it all night

t-cinnamon and nutmeg up front..creamy pumpkin soon follows and segues into a malty middle only to finish up with more pumpkin and spice and a tad bit of alcohol

m-creamy and smooth..coats the mouth enough for the taste to linger and spice really shine through...good level of carbonation on the tongue is prickly...

d-could have a few of these in one night and not regret it at all..

its quite fitting to be drinking this tonight when we are expecting a foot of snow here..kind of reminds me of the holidays...i am truly impressed with this beer..wish i could get more...big thanks to ricky for the bottle

01-30-2010 00:23:57 | More by stoutfiend27
capra12

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Reviewed on 1/18/10 poured into a shipyard pint glass, received as an extra from cosmohophead,thanks!

Appearance: orange and light brown, clear with a 2 finger head.

Smell: there is a distinct freshly ground cinammon, spices and ripe pumpkin.

Taste: this is surprisingly good and held up pretty well in my cellar. Opens with a cinammon/ spice profile which last till the very end. In the middle the pumpkin profile emerges accompanied by a caramel malt profile that carries into the finish. There is a really interesting tangy/ pumpkin aftertaste and there and an aromatic type of pumpkin that really takes over the aftertaste as well a mild warming affect.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, with moderate carbonation and ninja-ly warming.

Drinkability: I would definitely have this againn but I wouldn't seek it out unless it was regularly available. I recommend this to someone who enjoys a solid pumpkin ale with a prominent spice open and a malty and pumpkin middle and a deceptively warming aftertaste. Definitely worth the try.

01-19-2010 01:43:23 | More by capra12
Reagan1984

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Well this is a well traveled beer. I received it from another BA who is no longer on the site. (see review just below mine..(Zym...in case it's deleted) Anyway, he got it from Fernmaster in a previous trade... So I'll thank Fernmaster since he's still around.

Beer pours with a finger+ of fizzy off white head that quickly settles to a cap. The beer is a deep orange/amber color. No lacing to speak of. Good clarity, but there is a slight amount of particulate matter floating. (tiny)

Aroma is quite robust and very nice. Fall spices and even some pumpkin itself. Brown sugar as well.

Very good flavor. Good balance with just a touch too much sweetness. Brown sugar, pumpkin, nice spice profile including clove, cinnamon and perhaps some allspice.
Very bread like towards the end. You can definitely detect a higher ABV. I didn't look until I typed the previous sentence. 8% is about right from the flavor, although I was not anticipating this beer being that high. Reminds me of DFH Punkn' This is really nice to drink.

Medium in body, slightly less than syrupy and smooth. Slight carbonation.

Very drinkable and enjoyable. I am very happy that I had the opportunity to try this beer.

Well done Schlafly. I am glad that this bottle made the interesting trip from Fernmaster to me.

01-17-2010 18:30:24 | More by Reagan1984
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

I've had this on my wants for over a year and I finally got to try it - and as an extra too. Thanks Scott (heliosphann). This was bottled 23 Aug 2008

The color of a shiny copper penny when decanted, this beer has a thin off-white head that doesn't hang around too long, receding to a thin ring quite rapidly. I really like the color, so I won't be too harsh on the score.

The nose is quite excellent. Delicate with a blend of pumpkin and cream, I'm glad that this isn't a spice bomb. Mildly cidery in a way that really works well the cinnamon, the nutmeg rounds out the nose with the ginger being rather noticeable. I get the feeling that age has really helped this come together with the spices and the light sweetness being really well integrated.

The palate opens quite sweet with brown sugar, caramel, burnt sugar before the nutmeg and cinnamon come through, along with pumpkin and crystallized ginger. Quite like a good pumpkin pie, this tastes pretty darned good. Medium-light in body with a higher level of carbonation than it needs, the mid-palate feels a little watery. The finish, however, is good with a moderate combination of ginger, cinnamon and pumpkin. Thoroughly enjoyable, I'm thankful for the chance and will seek out in the future.

12-19-2009 01:41:48 | More by DefenCorps
twiggamortis420

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz bottle pours a very clear copper color with a very thin tan foam that fades to nothingness pretty quick. Just an ok looker.

Smell is one of the best, if not the best, pumpkin beers I have ever laid nose upon. It is the closest thing to pumpkin pie I have found in a brewski. The spices are not too heavy, but they have a nice sweetness and pumpkin balance.

Taste leans more towards the sugar-coated gingerbread end of the pumpkin ale spectrum. A bit sweet, but it helps balance out the spices nicely. It has a great gourdy pumpkin-ness to it that seems to be difficult to get into a beer and missing from many examples of the style. I do not find the beer to be as tasty as the nose indicates, but it is still a damn fine pumpkin ale. There is just a kiss of alcohol that is probably accentuated by the low carbonation, but does not taste like 8% at all. Good beer, but the search for the perfect pumpkin ale continues...

12-17-2009 17:38:17 | More by twiggamortis420
FreshmanPour77

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Reviewed on 12/14/09
Enjoyed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Dark cloudy Brown, 1 finger of dark cream foam, lots of carbonation throughout

S - Strong cinnamon spices really reminded me of pumpkin pie, smell some malt notes but couldn't finger out any hops

T - Medium bodied, spiced malt flavor, a little hop bitterness at the end but fairly smooth going down

M - Medium bodied brew, spiced malt flavor, a little hop bitterness at the end but not overpowering

D - Very drinkable pumpkin brew. Another great brew from Schlafly. I great brew for the season's but due to the spices I know I could do only a couple. A great brew to share amongst others.

12-15-2009 15:32:01 | More by FreshmanPour77
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.13/5  rDev -25.8%

A big "Thank You" to diekia & Jayli for getting this beer to me. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light golden brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of pumpkin, spices, caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out quite spicy with flavors of clove, cinnamon and nutmeg that are quickly followed by sweet flavors of caramel & pumpkin. There's a decent hops presence and a hearty malt character that provide a little bit of balance. The after-taste is sweet and slightly spicy.

M: Smooth and a little crisp but kind of syrupy, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Flavorful, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, it's a decent beer but there are better ones that I've had in the style.

12-13-2009 02:59:58 | More by TheManiacalOne
Wasatch

Utah

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks goes out to UncleJimbo for this one.

Pours a very nice clean/clear dark golden amber/brown color, nice carbonation, little fizzy off-white head, with minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is really nice, malty, lots of cinamon/nutmeg/spices, and a good dose of caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, very nice touch of cinnamon/nutmeg/caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a pretty tasty brew, glad to have had a chance to try it.

12-05-2009 02:13:47 | More by Wasatch
Duxx

Missouri

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a burnt orange/brown with minimal to no head. There is not much carbonation bubbling up thru the beer.

S: Strong cinnamon or clove I can't tell which. Very spicy, overwhelms everything else. No discernible malt aroma.

T: Again, strong cinnamon/clove spiced taste. Very warm/hot in the back of the throat. Either from the cinnamon (like a red hot candy) or from the alcohol? Certainly, tastes like pumpkin pie spice but I don't notice the pumpkin flavor.

M: Medium body that comes off creamy like pumpkin pie.

D: Very filling. This is one or possibly 2 beers at a sitting proposition.

11-30-2009 23:29:13 | More by Duxx