Schlafly Pumpkin Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Our Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie. Pounds of pumpkin form a malty foundation that supports the fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

While pumpkin beers were produced in the early days of the American colonies, they were different from the pumpkin beers we know today. Colonists used pumpkin and squash as the fermenting medium, since malted barley was scarce. Once malt became more readily available, it replaced these alternatives to grain. In the 1990’s, American craft brewers reintroduced the style to the delight of pumpkin beer drinkers.

(Beer added by: maxpower on 09-16-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
cubbyswans

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into a pint glass, has a nice head to it. This is a fantastic smelling spicy pumpkin. Cinnamon is the dominant aroma here. Flavor is dominated by the cinammon as well. Pumpkin Pie in a glass, as another reviewer put it. I haven't had a lot of pumpkin beers, but this one ranks at the top so far, especially considering the price of $9 for a sixer of 8% ABV beer. This outranked DFH punkin ale to me, and that one cost $10 for a 4 pack.

As far as drinkability, the whole glass is good from beginning to end. But as heavily as it is spiced, I can say I have never wanted a second right away. Gotta let the taste buds settle down.

edit 09/09 - oh how my tastes have changed over a year. This beer is still fantastic, but I could drink several of these in a sitting, provided I didn't have to drive afterwards. upgrading 'drinkability'

09-16-2008 19:09:37 | More by cubbyswans
beerphilosopher

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a rather intense burnt orange color with reddish highlights in the glass. The thick collar of foam rises well above the rim and is colored a pale off-white with the slightest orange hue. Active carbonation can be seen rising from the bottom of the glassware, feeding the massive head of foam. The nose is heavily spiced - cinnamon abounds, followed by cloves, allspice, nutmeg and a pleasant, caramel malty sweetness taking up the rear. This beer is the liquid summation of the word "festive." The palate doesn't disappoint in this regard either. Bursting forth with aggressive spices and warm, slightly roasted malt characteristics, this is like a baked pumpkin pie in a glass. The cinnamon is the dominant spice in this one. Perhaps because the spices are so heavy in the nose and on the palate, the alcohol is scarcely detectable though this beer weighs in at 8% ABV. Once you get past the spices, a solid well-crafted amber ale is waiting to greet you - slightly sweet, roasted malts and a complimentary hop profile leave this beer tasting surprisingly balanced for such a big, spice-heavy beer. The mouth feel is medium thick, but not too much so. The carbonation level is ample enough to keep this one from being perceived as too heavy or malt rich. Nice trick. The finish is smooth and warm, with a lingering spicy note or two hanging around. All in all, this is and has been one of my favorite pumpkin ales of all time. I am a spice head, so the aggressive levels of spice found here are not a negative for me, but some may find them too intense. While I could easily drink a few of these at a sitting, the well-hidden alcohol content prohibits that notion. This is a beer I'll stock up on and have on hand through winter's chill. Perhaps I'll even squirrel away one or two bottles and see what a year or two in the cellar does to the flavor profile - at *% ABV, this one should be able to handle it okay. Now if I can just keep my hands off of it for that long.

09-10-2008 16:01:32 | More by beerphilosopher
JoeyHotrod

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Very fresh bottle to be had here. Bottled on 8-25-08

I'll preface this review by saying this is far from my favorite style, granted I've not had a ton of them.. but of the ones I have had I only like one and that would be this one and I look forward to it every year.

To say I like this beer would be an understatement.. this is one of the many reasons Fall is my favorite season.

The beer pours to a orange color, with slight red tones.

The head solid, though doesn't last as long as I would like. A nice thin lacing throughout the entire glass.

The smell is just like one would imagine.. pumpkin.. to be more specific pumpkin pie! It reminds me of Holidays and brings a smile to my face. Pumpkin, Cinnamon and nutmeg are all there and in full force. Very nice to be sure.

The taste is akin to a liquefied pumpkin pie... if you have even a slight liking toward pumpkin pies, you will likely enjoy this beer. It follows the smell and the same things are brought to the forefront. Pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon all there and in tandem with a nice malt backbone.

While I am thrilled to see this beer back on the shelf, it might be time for me to sample more pumpkin ale's as admittedly it's been awhile since I tried the others that I disliked.

Regardless though, I'll be buying a few more six packs of this while it's still available.

09-06-2008 06:32:44 | More by JoeyHotrod
feloniousmonk

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Clear, reddish orange color, slim white head.

Big pumpkin pith aroma, with nutmeg and cinnamon. Lovely stuff.

Smooth and solid in the mouth. Supple and satisfying. Medium bodied, plump with flavor but an ease to drink.

Good texture, great flavor. Is it 8%? I wouldn't have guessed...

05-22-2008 04:25:27 | More by feloniousmonk
birchstick

Colorado

4.25/5  rDev +1%

This pours a darker amber color, with a nice, white head. When I smelled it, my nose said "hello pumpkin pie." Obviously a strong pumpkin pie smell, with a dash of sweet malts. You can taste nutmeg and cinnamon as it goes down and it finishes with a malty backbone and a great pumpkin aftertaste. Goes down easily, with a tad bit of carbonation. This was very drinkable for a spiced beer, the 8% alcohol wasn't even noticeable.

Overall, this pumpkin beer knocked the socks off of others I have tried. This was a great seasonal offering by Schlafly and one of the stronger offerings I have tried from this brewer.

04-28-2008 04:38:38 | More by birchstick
tempest

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to Leftmindedrighty for the trade.

This is easily the best pumpkin beer I've had. Sure, there isn't a great deal of deviation within the style, but this left a great impression on me. Compared to the other big pumpkin beers like Pumking and Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin, this was richer in pumpkin flavor, while also being more drinklable. The taste is just a nice mix of pumpkin meat with dashes of spice and a mellow malt backbone. A must-try for pumpkin beer lovers.

04-10-2008 19:59:58 | More by tempest
sweethome

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured from bottle (dated oct 23, 2007) tasted 3/10/07).
Pour is is orange, pretty darn close to the label color! A rust hue.

Rocky white head - gone quickly, little lace.

Nose is of nutmeg and ginger. A bit of alcohol.

First taste is a bit flat - medium bodied. Gentle maltiness backed with geneorus cinnamon, nutmeg and then the ginger mid-mouth. A nice complexity of spices. Mouthfeel is overall, good.

Notes 8% on the lable - the alcohol doesn't hit you as much on flavor as the nose - then slowly provides some warmth as consumed.

A flavorful spiced beer with complex developments from the spice, nice fall/winter warmer. Only negative for me is the mouthfeel - could provide a fuller feel. No complaints overall - well designed and flavorful beer.

03-13-2008 20:31:41 | More by sweethome
JDV

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bonused bottle courtesy of Drmatt
Pours a nice clear amber with a very quickly fading head. Smell is fairly big for a pumpkin. Nice aromatic pumpkin pie like spiced nose. Taste is very nicely spicy and not just spiced, but truly almost spicy at times. Easily the best pumpkin beer I've yet had. Very nice, full, rich body, and robust pumpkin flavor. Was expecting another mediocre pumpkin beer, and I got a lot more. This was absolutely delicious and I'll be looking for this in Autumns to come.

03-01-2008 22:07:07 | More by JDV
BobbyBeerman

4.93/5  rDev +17.1%

Sampled for a while, reviewed on 2/22/08. Poured from the bottle to my favorite pub glass using the "perfect pour" method.

Appearance: Amber with a hint of orange color showing through. Clear. Light head that's maybe a finger that fades leaving a little lacing.

Smell: No other way to describe this but pumpkin pie. Obvious nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger.

Taste: Just like the smell. Rich flavor that mimics pumpkin pie. Almost expecting bits of crust in there.

Mouth feel: Rich, medium to heavy body.

Drinkability: I LOVE THIS! This is my favorite of the available pumpin ales in southern Illinois followed closely by O'Fallon's Pumpkin Ale. Rich flavor that isn't weak and isn't too sweet. Even at 8% ABV the alcohol taste doesn't come across. Too bad this isn't a year round beer.

02-23-2008 04:28:16 | More by BobbyBeerman
pmcadamis

4.88/5  rDev +15.9%

Tried this at the taproom in STL.

A - Dark ruby with some suggestions of orange. Very deep and alluring hue with a two finger head of white lace that leaves an astonishing amount of lace on the glass.

S - This smells EXACTLY like this: Pumpkin pie with a graham cracker crust and whipped cream on top sprinkled with a light powdering of cinnamon. Nice! All of those components are vivid and real to my nose. It's actually amazing how much this smells like a real pumpkin pie....maybe even slightly chilled with ice cream on top.

T - The flavor echoes the nose. Authentic pumpkin pie in all of it's autumnal glory. Pumpkin pie filling is there more than homemade pumpkin pie, but i actually prefer the store bought stuff (no offense to any of the women in my life, but Cub Foods sells a mean pumpkin pie). I'm just really impressed with this one.

M - Medium bodied with a slightly oily feel that contributes to the pie like feel. The finish is sweet, although I can feel some dry hops trying to get through. Thankfully, the hops are downplayed in favor of malty sweetness.

D - Outstanding. This is an amazing beer, and I'm glad that I was able to try it at the source! Fall is my favorite season, and this is just about the perfect beer for that special time of year. I'll be picking some up next fall fo' sho.'

01-15-2008 05:58:50 | More by pmcadamis
atrus138

Kentucky

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Finally, a decent pumpkin ale! Appears the color of pumpkin (on the inside, not the out) with a tiny head that disappeared fairly quickly. Smelled a lot like a pumpkin pie - cinnamon, pumpkin, brown sugar, nutmeg. Taste delivered what was promised and then some. Very flavorful. Mostly cinnamon up front followed by tastes of actual pumpkin (a first for me as far as "pumpkin" ales go). Very tasty. Pretty thin mouthfeel, which seems to be a trend in this genre. All in all, I was very pleased with this. I'd become jaded as far as finding a solid pumpkin ales go, but then this gives me hope.

12-13-2007 19:28:59 | More by atrus138
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks to the parents for bringing back a selection of pumpkin beers from their last visit to the States. Tasted a couple different bottles to compare side by side.
Deep copper colored beer with a small white foamy head. Thin lace was left after the foam shrunk to a thin cap. Smell has some spice, caramel, grains, but not a lot of pumpkin. A flavorful beer with good malt base, nice blend of clove or other spice, touch of hop at the end. Medium bodied, maybe a bit thin. Good, but not the big pumpkin/cinnamon flavor and aroma I was hoping for. A solid and well made brew.
This was one of the better Pumpkins I have tried.

Note to Self: Ranked the #5 Pumpkin Ale when I tried it.

11-27-2007 01:58:47 | More by BigBry
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Thanks to xmarcnolanx for this one. Pours burnt orange with a head that fades quickly and leaves no lacing. Smells of baked pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices, brown sugar and cream. The taste is similar, and quite sweet and spicy. One of the bolder and spicier pumpkin ales I've had this year and quite creamy as well.Liquid pumpkin pie. Very smooth and fizzy and quite sweet in the mouth. Delicious dessert.

11-18-2007 21:37:57 | More by Georgiabeer
weeare138

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to hopdog for sharing this one...
Appears a transparent copper toned amber with a small white head that quickly fizzles out into a mild cap. Small spots are left around the glass.
Smell is of spicy pumpkin pie with doughy bread, and a touch of caramel.
Taste mimcs the aromas with hints of cinnamon, cloves, all-spice, dried juniper berries, and Chinese 5-spice.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, spiced with pumpkin bread and roasted walnuts lingering into a thin finish.

11-08-2007 21:26:45 | More by weeare138
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

Amber to deep golden color. Slight spiced aroma-muted cloves and ginger. Reminds me of how Harpoon Winter was before it became the spice monster that it is now. Decent malty flavor with a whisper too much spice for me but still quite good. Quite bready and biscuit like. More like ginger bread then pumpkin. Very nice body-hell I just noticed the abv no wonder. A damn good and enjoyable beer overall. Some tweaking for my personal preference is all. I wouldnt pass this up.

11-04-2007 23:01:40 | More by lackenhauser
emerge077

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

edit 2008/09: I pick up this beer every Fall, and manage to blow through a case. It's a very balanced and authentic pumpkin ale without the artificial ingredients & extra sugar.

11-01-2007
Somehow this 6-pack has lasted since Labor Day, last bottle from Aug. 21, 2007. Seems like a fitting review for Halloween...

A solid inch of foam on a rusty orange body. It has a thick ring of lace, but i'm more impressed that it has head retention, compared to alot of Pumpkin Ales i've had this season. Pumpkin and cinnamon in the aroma.

Flavors of nutmeg, clove, blended in with authentic pumpkin as well. Not overly sweet or spicy. Fuller mouthfeel, somewhat dry finish due to the spice, would be nice if it were a little less dry and tacky. Easy to finish a bottle, I had several in a row when it was fresh in the bottle (2 weeks old). I'm guessing the shelf life isn't the longest, but at 8% it should last a few months, no problem.

11-01-2007 02:58:35 | More by emerge077
mikescags

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

This is the best pumpkin beer on the market. It pours a deep glorious orange as the smell of pumpkin pie just overflows. A good moderate mouthfeel. At a nice 8% abv this isnt a great session beer, but def a great mix up during the fall season. If you are looking for a pumpkin beer, look no further.

10-30-2007 04:26:35 | More by mikescags
AMo

3.65/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale pours a deep amber orange color. I can't say I care for the smell a whole lot but it does have a fairly strong pumpkin smell. There is pumpkin taste as well, but I found it to be pretty subtle. I definitely expected more from the taste based on the smell. The mouthfeel was smooth and goes down real easy, which was the best part for me. As far as the drinkability it was a nice change, but after a couple of these I got rather sick of the taste and just wanted something different.

10-26-2007 22:46:34 | More by AMo
drseamus

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

Good looking copper reddish body with an off white head. Pumpkin pie aroma complete with spices. Somehow I'm not crazy about the aroma though. There is an slightly skunky off-aroma in there that doesn't tickle my fancy. The flavor is pretty sweet and has a bunch of pumpkin flavor in it. The spices are more prevalent in the flavor than the aroma. It leaves a spicy aftertaste. It's not a bad beer, but not great either.

10-26-2007 02:06:14 | More by drseamus
Applesauce1

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

I picked this up at the Party Source in Newport, KY, on my trip there with ej285701.

Appearance: brown-amber color with a 1/2" head on the pour
Smell: cinnamon, pumpkin pie, alcohol, scotch
Taste: cinnamon and scotch are the two most distinguishing flavors; good flavor
Drinkability: one of these a night is good
Mouthfeel: medium to full bodied

A pretty good beer. I'm not one for 8% beers, but this one's pretty good.

10-24-2007 04:56:38 | More by Applesauce1
Monkeyknife

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a bottle a clear, dark reddish-gold with a thin off-white head light lacing.

The aroma is quite strong. Chocked full of cinnamon, cloves, and pumpkin.

The taste hits hard with the spice of the cinnamon. Actually tastes like a redhot candy, but not red hot. Other pumpkin pie spices are present as is the pumpkin. Very nice.

Lighter mouthfeel with a subtle carbonation.

As of today, this is my favorite pumpkin ale. I was getting tired of watered-down light beers sprinkled with pie spice. The one has some balls. Well played, Schlafly.

10-24-2007 00:18:14 | More by Monkeyknife
Risser09

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip - bottled with love on Aug. 21 2007.
Thanks to xmarcnolanx for the opportunity

Appearance: This beer pours a transparent copper color with nice orange and red highlights. The head is ivory in color with a nice cakiness to it and a height of 1 inch. A little bit of lacing remains.

Smell: The smell is heavy on the spices, notably cinnamon, clove and allspice. A nice ginger aroma is in there too . Very little hop presence is smelt but there is a nice crystal malt aroma.

Taste: The spices are pronounced but not as much as they are in the aroma. Pumpkin is a flavor that comes through in the middle and finish of the beer. Cinnamon, clove, allspice and a spicy ginger make this a surefire autumn beer. Alcohol is barely felt; are we sure that this is 8% abv?

Mouthfeel: Gentle mouthfeel without being cloying in the sugar area, as some pumpkin ales are. Alcohol is barely noticable and the spices are just right, and the ginger is a perfect kicker for the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Awesome. I really enjoyed this pumpkin ale and thinnk it could stand up to other well known ones. Very good beer to drink with this season's plenty.

10-22-2007 00:44:51 | More by Risser09
NatetheGreat

Nevada

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

I haven't had a pumpkin ale before, and don't like pumpkin pie, but I took a chance on this beer and I LOVED IT.

A: orange-copper color, not much head.

S: pleasant aroma of malt, pumpkin, and spices. I could smell the nutmeg and cinnamon, and something stronger (ginger or clove?).

T: here's the big payoff: great tasting beer. the pumpkin and spices are all present, but nothing overpowers. Somehow the brewers got everything to balance and compliment each other. Creamy, spicy, pumpkiny, with a terrific balance between malt and hop additions, than again, don't overpower.

M: good, smooth feel, a bit thin perhaps.

D: I didn't notice the 8% until I was almost done with one bottle a half hour later. That was enough for me, but while drinking it, the alcohol stays well hidden. Just be aware of it. But with the great flavors and smooth creaminess, I'd want to drink these all the time. Pleasantly surprized.

10-20-2007 13:43:33 | More by NatetheGreat
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Thank you Schalfly for making a worth-while Pumpkin Ale. Rarely does the world get to sample a hearty pumpkin flavor, a very well-made base beer, and spices that contribute to the beer without overpowering. This beer does all this-- doesn't seem too difficult. This beer seems to have a very firm Amber malt toastiness, sweetness, cleanliness, and crispness. The low (but detectable) hop rates make way for the pumpkin and spice variety to shine. The pumpkin delivers a creamy, earthy flavor very similar to fresh-baked pumpkin pie. Mild notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and all-spice decorate the beer without bringing undue attention to the frills. A mild buttery flavor also brings the beer into desert-range. This is all evedent in the aromas and flavors. The body remains firm, creamy, and relatively round; allowing the flavors to settle into a mellow finish of creamy-sweet pumpkin and caramel. This is likely the best Pumpkin Ale that I have had.

10-20-2007 03:22:18 | More by BEERchitect
zeff80

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Poured out a bright clear orange color with hints of amber. It ad a foamy, off-white, two-finger head that left some lace.

S - It smelled of pumpkin, tons of nutmeg and some cinnamon.

T - Great blend of pumpkin and nutmeg gave it a nice bittersweet quality. The cinnamon flavor was understated but good.

M - It was crisp and smooth. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - One of the best pumpkin ales. Certainly the best of the five that I've sampled.

10-13-2007 04:34:59 | More by zeff80