Schlafly Pumpkin Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Our Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie. Pounds of pumpkin form a malty foundation that supports the fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

While pumpkin beers were produced in the early days of the American colonies, they were different from the pumpkin beers we know today. Colonists used pumpkin and squash as the fermenting medium, since malted barley was scarce. Once malt became more readily available, it replaced these alternatives to grain. In the 1990’s, American craft brewers reintroduced the style to the delight of pumpkin beer drinkers.

(Beer added by: maxpower on 09-16-2006)
4.22/5  rDev 0%

I'm not a big fan of pumpkin, but I'm going to review it to style, not preference.

Dark honey in color, thin tan head. It's pretty much what a good pumpkin ale should look like.

Smell is loaded with spice, breadyness, nutmeg, sugary cinnamon.
Smells like a pumpkin fruitcake.

Taste is much of the same. It's really like a fruity, pumpkin bread loaded with spices and cinnamon.

Feel is slightly creamy, slight upper-light in body.

The drinkability is above average, but I think pumpkin beers don't make a good session beer, and the spiced-ness is best in small doses.

Though not my thing really, this is a pretty excellent pumpkin beer for what its worth.

EgadBananas, Oct 02, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into Standard Pint Glass, Clear.

A - Copper orange color. No haze at all, can see right through it. Super thin head when poured, but dissipates very quickly leaving almost nothing on top of the beer.

S - Remembering this is a pumpkin beer, thats all you get. Not bad, but not much else. Possibly some clove, cinnamon and a slight tinge of honey, but 99% pure pumpkin.

T - Kind of sweet, but I guess that's to be expected. Definitely pumpkin, but more complex than I thought it would be. Nutmeg, cinnamon, clove spice, a some berries that I didn't detect in the nose at all. The berries are some of the sweetness that I didn't see coming, and it's quite a nice surprise. Nice bitter hoppy finish, but nothing too strong. The base amber would be quite good on it's own, but the pumpkin aspect makes this one a real winner.

M - Going to have to say this is one of my favorite parts of this beer. Carbonation lets you really taste it, without tearing your pallet. ABV is extremely well hidden, and I would have guessed 4.5-6%, but no where near 8. Mouth full of pumpkin pie and then a bitterness right at the back of your throat.

D - Pumpkin beers get a bad wrap, but I think if people gave some of the better ones a try, things could change. I normally don't like a "pumpkin pie" beer, but this one is well done, and will be drinking it all fall, or at least until I run out.

BeerThursdays, Sep 29, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: This pumpkin ale pours a clear rusted orange color with 3 fingers of light tan head. It reduces down fairly quickly and ends up with just a small amount of lacing.

Smell: Pumpkin spices, as well as nutmeg and all spice. Some very distinct floral hop notes as well.

Taste: Mmm....very similar to pumpkin pie. Cinnamon and nutmeg, with some nice floral hops at the end. Due to becoming preoccupied I let this beer warm up quite a bit as I was drinking it, and honestly it got twice as good when it was warmer. The spices were really allowed to come out as the beer warmed.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium mouthfeel, a bit lighter than I was expecting considering the 8% ABV. Also, there was maybe a bit too much carbonation but the beer was pretty smooth overall.

Drinkability: This beer does taste really good, and it hides the alcohol extremely well. It's definitely an awesome beer to sip on during the autumn season. Potentially dangerous because I'm sure the alcohol will creep up on you pretty quickly.

zhanson88, Sep 29, 2010
4.66/5  rDev +10.4%

I've tried a lot of pumpkin ales. This is by far my favorite to date (and remains so after drinking it for the 2nd year in a row). Really amazing....

A: Poured into a crystal beer mug. Has a dark reddish orange color. Looks exactly like I would expect an autumn ale/pumpkin ale to look like. It just has that fall "hue" about it.

S: Definitely get the cinnamon and nutmeg. Lots of pumpkin too and a little brown sugar. Smells like "fall in a glass." The sweetness comes through as well, complimented nicely by the faint hints of malt. I can't keep my nose out of the glass!!

T: This is the kicker: best tasting pumpkin ale I've ever had. Sweet...but not too sweet. Cinnamony...but not too much so. Nutmegy...just enough. I just sat outside on my deck on what is so far the coolest night of the year and this beer made me feel like fall had finally arrived. Lots of brown sugar too. Mild hops. Lots of malt. Tastes like they stuffed a pumpkin pie in a blender, added some alcohol, and poured it into my glass (which is exactly what I want in a pumpkin ale).

M: Easy drinker. ABV well hidden. Goes down smoothly.

D: As much as I love it, I think 2 at a time would probably be my limit. Definitely one to be "savored." Plus, I have been drinking it primarily as a "dessert" beer or just on its own so after about two I'm good to go.

All in all an outstanding pumpkin ale. Highly recommended. SO happy that I have access to it every fall!!

bcostner1, Sep 28, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured into my flying dog pint glass.

Pours into a deep amber color with a one finger head that leaves a lace down the glass as you drink it.

Has a very strong smell, very distinctive, smells like pumpkin pie. Pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Has a strong carbonation taste that is a tad on the strong side. I could also taste the alcohol in it. Has a very good taste, just like Pumpkin Pie.

Mouthfeel is medium at best.

Has limited drinkability because of the strength of the alcohol and the strength of the pumpkin taste.

This would make a great beer with a dessert but can't pound many of them because of the combination of the taste and alcohol content.

Landfill21, Sep 26, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -19.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Yazoo pint glass.

A: Poured a deep amber/orange color with a great, one finger tan head. Very aesthetically pleasing and inviting.

S: Very distinct aroma, smells like pumpkin pie and autumn. Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg.

T: Good taste, tastes like pumpkin pie (my favorite dessert) with a touch of alcohol and some malts and floral hops to finish.

M: A lot of carbonation but it's not overpowering. Medium bodied with a clean finish.

D: Very drinkable, doesn't seem like it is 8% ABV.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. It's a great autumn offering and one I'd drink again, but not the best thing I've ever had.

lespaulrocker, Sep 24, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Deep orange-ish brown color. Maybe an inch of head that disappears quickly with no lace at all.

S: The aroma of this beer hits you like a ton of bricks. You don't even have to get your nose close to it to smell cinnamon, allspice and pumpkin. Outstanding.

T: Really a letdown after such an intense aroma. There's just not a whole lot going on. It's sweet, you can still taste the pumpkin and the spices, but there's not much beer to back it up: no hops, nothing to balance out the sweet spices. The whole flavor just kind of falls flat. Can really taste the alcohol, too. This just isn't a very well balanced beer in any way.

M: Pretty good mouthfeel, some nice carbonation, goes down smooth. The alcohol really sticks in the back of my throat, which is unusual for a beer, but not entirely unpleasant.

D: Definitely easy to drink. Hard to miss the alcohol. I would drink one if someone offered it to me, but I wouldn't buy it because I don't think it's worth the price.

I always have high hopes for fall seasonals, but very few live up to my expectations. Coming out of the bottle this looks and smells great, it just doesn't deliver on the flavor.

DaveBlack, Sep 23, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured a darkish orange with decent head but no lace. A wonderful sweet aroma of caramel and nutmeg spice smell along with some spicy pepper and cinnamon as the obvious pumpkin. A thinner body than expected with a good pumpkin base for taste. Smooth and easy to drink, the sweet caramel and nutmeg spice are clearly evident but perhaps the only drawback of this beer to me is that the spices and clove are laid on a little thick and dominate the finish, giving off a slighly sour hop feel which is a drag considering the nice balance the pumpkin/sweetness and spices have up front. A very good pumpkin beer but not at the top in my opinion.

clayrock81, Sep 20, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

12 oz bottle poured into big BN army glass

A- Dark reddish orange color with a decent head.

S- very light spice notes, but in general not much on the nose.

T- Sweet and spicy in nice balance. This is pumpkin pie all around.

M- full bodied and very smooth and creamy

D- The sweet and spice characters are well balanced and certainly does not drink like an 8% beer. Drink with caution!

This is a great pumpkin beer if you like the style. Full bodied with great flavor. Well done, Schlafly!

chrisgn, Sep 19, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

This beer pours a dark amber with a thin kaki head that dissipates quickly leaving almost no lacing.

The aroma has some strong nutmeg notes with a little clove. A great pumkin pie aroma.

The flavor has a good full malt profile adding some sweetness to a cinnamon and nutmeg flavor. The cinnamon seems to hide in the maltiness offsetting it just like hops.

The mouthfeel is a nice and round and rolls over the tongue with little effort.

This is a nice balance drinkable beer with a good spice flavor but an obvious beer as well.

JoePat, Sep 17, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Pretty amber color, clear with a one finger head that dissipates quickly but leaves thin but good lacing.

Smells like a pumpkin pie. Spices, pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon. Slightly grainy smell.

Very tasty. Needs cool whip. Very enjoyable blend of spices, pumpkin, and just good ol' beer goodness. Tasted a little better on tap, but still very good.

Nice feel. Slick, wet and moderately carbonated. Not very bitter, but the aftertaste lingers oh so nicely with a spicy slick feel.

In bottles, and for pumpkin ales, this one rocks. I have yet to find a pumpkin this good that's this affordable (or even available).

And I do love pumpkins.

AlCaponeJunior, Sep 16, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -4%

Very deep amber color. Perfectly clear. Pours a mellow off white head that dissipates very quickly.

Very spicy smells nutmeg and cinnamon maybe a little vanilla. Reminds me of a baking pumpkin pie.

The taste is reminiscent of the smell. The spices are big here. I don't know if I actually detect pumpkin, but the spices are amazingly well done. Smooth vanilla rolls down the tongue as a hoppy nutmeg infusion fades to a crisp alcohol and cinnamon zing.

There's a good amount of carbonation to lift the spices, but not too much. A little more think maltiness may of made the mouthfeel a little creamier, but the lightness is nice too.

The flavors and alcohol are superbly done, but a little much for the drinkability.

bfields4, Sep 14, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to great trader birchstick for this one. A very good looking rich amber with frothy light tan head. Aroma is rich, sweet, spicy and nutty. Flavor is on the sweet side, but has great pumpkin flavor with a bunch of spice. Just like pie! Where's my cool whip? abv is well masked too.

BogleHill, Sep 14, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

12oz bottle, goblet, 'Bottled with love on 08 23 2010'.

Deep bronzy orange. The head wasn't bad when poured, but faded just about completely. While nothing is wrong with the way this beer looks, it is unimpressive. Before taking a whiff this beer could pass as an amber with a crappy head.

The nose is candy corn, pumpkin pie, spiced cider, with the sharpness of clove and the roundness of nutmeg being individual aromas. I'm reminded of powdered spiced cider mixes. There is no heat, but the alcohol lurking in the background prevents over-sweetness.

And it is not all that sweet. The flavor gives more of a sense of pumpkin itself. That deep squash flavor is nutty and augmented with brown sugar, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. I still get a little apple cider and again there is obviously alcohol lurking.

The mouth is cidery. It seems like there was no reason other than the marketability and desire for quicker inebriation for the 8% ABV in this beer.

This would probably pair well with Thanksgiving dinner. In fact, I may save one or two for the occasion. For the most part this will fulfill expectations of a pumpkin pie-like beer without being very sweet at all.

brewerburgundy, Sep 13, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

a: shaker pint, deep amber in color, dark maple syrup appearance with some orange hues, low head and retention

s: loads of brown sugars, caramel malts, pie spice - cinnamon and clove, sweet, rich pumpkin pie - smells great

m: heavy, slick body with a low level of carbonation

t: heavy caramel malts, brown sugar, trio of pie spice - nutmeg at the front with clove and cinnamon after, creamy squash, sweet and thick with pumpkin pie flavor

d: one of the top pumpkins out there, certainly a sipper, but by nature - more suitable for dessert application than a regular drinker

pint at the Galaxy Hut, Arlington, VA

blackie, Sep 13, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -19.9%

Color - Color was very nice reddish orange.

Smell - Was very excellent smelled like pumpkin pie with all the cinnamon nutmeg and pumpkin.

Taste - Taste was ok you get the spices very well along with a nice pumpkin kick mixed in. Taste was a killer for me, I believe IMHO that there is to much carbonation in this beer. I think it would be better it it were smoother and less carbonated.

Other - No head because of a slow pour, and also no lacing.

ReDNeCk98, Sep 11, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark amber color with 2 inches of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells exactly like pumpkin pie; smells outstanding. Also some cinnamon, spices, nutmeg, bready malts, and caramel malts. Maybe the best pumpkin ale I've ever smelled.

t - Tastes of pumpkin pie, nutmeg, cinnamon, spices, bready malts, and alcohol.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Very smooth body, and pretty easy to drink.

d - An outstanding pumpkin ale. It looks good, has a great mouthfeel, and an amazing smell. The only knock I would have on it at all is the alcohol in the taste. Will definitely be buying more of this one.

mdfb79, Sep 07, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks to my wife who stopped by the beer store to grab me a growler of one of my favorite pumpkin beers. Tastes great in a bottle - why not have it on growler?

A: Pours very nice - see through caramel color with a head that doesn't stay long but has a decent skim that sticks around

S: Smell is of nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin, a bit of raison, malt, maybe even some slight booze

T: Taste comes through with everything I mentioned in the nose but there's also a bit of caramel in there as well - sweet and bitter tones really play nicely together.

M: Warm feeling going down, smooth and medium carbonation

D: Could have this all night. Good thing it's only a half growler or I would be in trouble tonight.

Schlafly has done a fine job with this ale. I can't really think of many ways they could improve it. I always miss summer around this time of year but this type of beer helps me get through it a little easier!

beerman207, Sep 06, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

Thanks to chubbyswans for this bottle! Front label date Bottled 08 05 2010. Fresh!

Pours a deep ruby with almost no head. Nose is big and spicy - cinnamon stick is right up front and nutmeg too. Some vinous notes too. Palate is bright and densely packed. First sip reminds me of mulled cider that has been chilled down again. Cinnamon stick and nutmeg again, very present, but lots of delicious red apple cider flavors too.

Couldn't find any of the pumpkin in here - very heavy handed on the spicy, but damn tasty. I usually HATE pumpkin spice beers, but this is solid. Don't want more than one, but luckily, all I have is one. Thanks again chubbyswans. Good ups.

SFLpunk, Sep 03, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

A: Dark amber color. Orange and red hues. Small off white, cream colored head with little to no lacing

S: Nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, alcohol.

T: Good. Very similar to Schlafly's Christmas Ale. Flavor follows the nose. Lots of clove here. For this to be a pumpkin ale, I don't taste much pumpkin. This is the first pumpkin ale I have ever had so maybe this is supposed to be what they are all about, however, all i really get is the other flavors that go into pumpkin pie.

M: Very nice. Full with average to high carbonation. Smooth and fall away quick. Left with a small burn from the booze and the clove again.

D: I could have 2, maybe three. The simple flavors over and over would be to much.

rrski198, Sep 03, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Having tried Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale in the bottle a couple years ago, I was interested to see how it would fare on draft. As it turns out, the difference was night and day. Perhaps it had a little to do with the beer only being six days old.

Right off the bat, the beer looks a bit better when it's coming out of a tap. A bigger head with better lacing makes for a more attractive beer.

Not only does it look better, but it smells way better too. It smells just like pumpkin pie. I know people say that about pumpkin ales all the time, but if you ask me they're usually full of utter shit. Most pumpkin ales smell like pumpkin pie spices. There's a huge difference between a finished pie and the spices alone. This smells like a delicious, freshly baked pumpkin pie. Every one of the spices is in perfect balance with the pumpkin aroma, of which all other P-ales I've had have lacked.

Flavor is a big jump in the right direction as well. While it doesn't quite taste as much like a pie as it smells, it's got a lot more flavor than it did out of the bottle. And the biggest difference between draft and bottled is that there is positively no alcohol present with the draft. Tasty stuff.

Mouthfeel is much more lush and full than what I had in the bottle.

Drinkability is definitely higher, but I could see this beer still being a one-and-done for me.

If you have a chance to try this puppy on draft, do so. I'm gonna get ahold of a bottle and see if maybe they just hit all the right notes this year. If it's close to what I had on draft last week, then I'll grab a sixer. This is the first time I've ever been able to say that I liked a pumpkin ale. Hopefully it won't be the last.

Edit: Got ahold of a six-pack, and while the aroma isn't quite as great out of the bottle, this stuff is still really tasty. I picked up a second sixer just in case we can't get anymore around here.

BigJim5021, Aug 28, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

I tried this one on 8/24. Finally, after a couple of years of drum-beating, I'm getting to try this sought after brew. I picked up a sixer at Norm's in Vienna.

I poured into a pint glass.

A: Orange/red appearance with a little head and tons of carbonation. A definite "see-through" beer - no haze whatsoever.

S: Nutmeg is very upfront, with brown sugar and cloves. Smells like candy. Yum!

T: Impressive! This beer is not a sugary mess, but a very well-balanced fruit/vegetable beer (not a dessert one like "Pumking"), and barely a trace of alcohol. I detect mild honey and marshmallow. Ahhhh...

M: The sweetness in not cloying in any way and the carbonation level is perfect.

D: This may be my new favorite beer of choice around the harvest season. I would never have pegged this as being a brew with an 8% ABV.

Still, Southern Tier's "Pumking" is a force to be reckoned with. I am already planning a pumpkin beer tasting with my wife involving: Dogfish "Punkin", "Pumking", and this tasty brew. It should be interesting!

NOTE: On 11/9/10, I did a pumpkin tasting with Williamsburg Alewerks, Saranac, and this one. The Schlafly still won! I continue to be impressed with this beer.

Chaney, Aug 26, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

This one is a new offering in my area this year. It's a little early in the season for me to drink a pumpkin beer but I heard such good things I had to try one. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish snifter. Poured an orange/red color with a thin white head covering the top of the beer.

The aroma is a lot like pumpkin pie. It shows the pumpkin which I always appreciate in pumpkin beers. It also shows some cinnamon and nutmeg spices, but they aren't overdone like a lot of pumpkin beers. Very nice pumpkin and spice aroma.

The taste is a lot like the nose suggested it would be with a nice pumpkin pie flavor coming through. The cinnamon and nutmeg spices are moderate and the pumpkin is present. It's not overly sweet either which is nice. Very nice pumpkin beer flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's definitely one of the better pumpkin beers I've had. I heard it described as Pumking without the whipped cream sweetness, and that really does describe it pretty well. A very welcome addition to the fall seasonals available in my area this year.

billab914, Aug 22, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

When poured, this brew produces a quickly dissipating light tan head that starts out at about a finger thick, when poured into an imperial pint glass. Color wise, it's copper and has a slight chill haze.

The aroma is very much like pumpkin pie. It's got a creamy, nutmeg, and cinnamon aroma along with the sweet smell of pumpkin.

MMMMmmm.... Tastes like biting into a fresh piece of pie. I am getting everything from the creamy filling, along with the crust. This is a dessert in a bottle.

The brew is full in body, and has a slight oily slickness that makes this brew seem a bit creamy too. There is a mild carbonation and a warming feeling in the end; however, the palate is left well satisfied and moist.

This is my first pumpkin beer ever and I have to say if this style offers great brews like this, I must try more!

TheSarge, Aug 21, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Churchkey in DC. Another great find by this restaurant.
A: Nice Ruby Brown Amber color with a creamy head at the top.
S: Notes of pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon. Spicy and malty.
T: Great sweet pumpkin flavor right away, has that great mix of flavors that reminds you of a great pie. It finishes with a really deep, but not overpowering, array of spices from cinnamon to the nutmeg (which was most apparent).
D/M: The carbonation is great and it creates a nice thick head that really coats the palate. Very thick autumn brew but very drinkable for how strong it is.

pzrhsau, Aug 18, 2010