Schlafly Pumpkin Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 09-16-2006

Our Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie. Pounds of pumpkin form a malty foundation that supports the fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

While pumpkin beers were produced in the early days of the American colonies, they were different from the pumpkin beers we know today. Colonists used pumpkin and squash as the fermenting medium, since malted barley was scarce. Once malt became more readily available, it replaced these alternatives to grain. In the 1990’s, American craft brewers reintroduced the style to the delight of pumpkin beer drinkers.

Reviews: 527 | Hads: 2,095
3.99/5  rDev -4.3%

Having tried Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale in the bottle a couple years ago, I was interested to see how it would fare on draft. As it turns out, the difference was night and day. Perhaps it had a little to do with the beer only being six days old.

Right off the bat, the beer looks a bit better when it's coming out of a tap. A bigger head with better lacing makes for a more attractive beer.

Not only does it look better, but it smells way better too. It smells just like pumpkin pie. I know people say that about pumpkin ales all the time, but if you ask me they're usually full of utter shit. Most pumpkin ales smell like pumpkin pie spices. There's a huge difference between a finished pie and the spices alone. This smells like a delicious, freshly baked pumpkin pie. Every one of the spices is in perfect balance with the pumpkin aroma, of which all other P-ales I've had have lacked.

Flavor is a big jump in the right direction as well. While it doesn't quite taste as much like a pie as it smells, it's got a lot more flavor than it did out of the bottle. And the biggest difference between draft and bottled is that there is positively no alcohol present with the draft. Tasty stuff.

Mouthfeel is much more lush and full than what I had in the bottle.

Drinkability is definitely higher, but I could see this beer still being a one-and-done for me.

If you have a chance to try this puppy on draft, do so. I'm gonna get ahold of a bottle and see if maybe they just hit all the right notes this year. If it's close to what I had on draft last week, then I'll grab a sixer. This is the first time I've ever been able to say that I liked a pumpkin ale. Hopefully it won't be the last.

Edit: Got ahold of a six-pack, and while the aroma isn't quite as great out of the bottle, this stuff is still really tasty. I picked up a second sixer just in case we can't get anymore around here.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

I tried this one on 8/24. Finally, after a couple of years of drum-beating, I'm getting to try this sought after brew. I picked up a sixer at Norm's in Vienna.

I poured into a pint glass.

A: Orange/red appearance with a little head and tons of carbonation. A definite "see-through" beer - no haze whatsoever.

S: Nutmeg is very upfront, with brown sugar and cloves. Smells like candy. Yum!

T: Impressive! This beer is not a sugary mess, but a very well-balanced fruit/vegetable beer (not a dessert one like "Pumking"), and barely a trace of alcohol. I detect mild honey and marshmallow. Ahhhh...

M: The sweetness in not cloying in any way and the carbonation level is perfect.

D: This may be my new favorite beer of choice around the harvest season. I would never have pegged this as being a brew with an 8% ABV.

Still, Southern Tier's "Pumking" is a force to be reckoned with. I am already planning a pumpkin beer tasting with my wife involving: Dogfish "Punkin", "Pumking", and this tasty brew. It should be interesting!

NOTE: On 11/9/10, I did a pumpkin tasting with Williamsburg Alewerks, Saranac, and this one. The Schlafly still won! I continue to be impressed with this beer.

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%

This one is a new offering in my area this year. It's a little early in the season for me to drink a pumpkin beer but I heard such good things I had to try one. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish snifter. Poured an orange/red color with a thin white head covering the top of the beer.

The aroma is a lot like pumpkin pie. It shows the pumpkin which I always appreciate in pumpkin beers. It also shows some cinnamon and nutmeg spices, but they aren't overdone like a lot of pumpkin beers. Very nice pumpkin and spice aroma.

The taste is a lot like the nose suggested it would be with a nice pumpkin pie flavor coming through. The cinnamon and nutmeg spices are moderate and the pumpkin is present. It's not overly sweet either which is nice. Very nice pumpkin beer flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's definitely one of the better pumpkin beers I've had. I heard it described as Pumking without the whipped cream sweetness, and that really does describe it pretty well. A very welcome addition to the fall seasonals available in my area this year.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

When poured, this brew produces a quickly dissipating light tan head that starts out at about a finger thick, when poured into an imperial pint glass. Color wise, it's copper and has a slight chill haze.

The aroma is very much like pumpkin pie. It's got a creamy, nutmeg, and cinnamon aroma along with the sweet smell of pumpkin.

MMMMmmm.... Tastes like biting into a fresh piece of pie. I am getting everything from the creamy filling, along with the crust. This is a dessert in a bottle.

The brew is full in body, and has a slight oily slickness that makes this brew seem a bit creamy too. There is a mild carbonation and a warming feeling in the end; however, the palate is left well satisfied and moist.

This is my first pumpkin beer ever and I have to say if this style offers great brews like this, I must try more!

4.38/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Churchkey in DC. Another great find by this restaurant.
A: Nice Ruby Brown Amber color with a creamy head at the top.
S: Notes of pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon. Spicy and malty.
T: Great sweet pumpkin flavor right away, has that great mix of flavors that reminds you of a great pie. It finishes with a really deep, but not overpowering, array of spices from cinnamon to the nutmeg (which was most apparent).
D/M: The carbonation is great and it creates a nice thick head that really coats the palate. Very thick autumn brew but very drinkable for how strong it is.

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

12oz bottle into pint glass...another one in the latest trade with ottovon

a-dark copper color...half inch off white head that fell quickly to a nice ring on lacing good level of bubbles

s-spice and pumpkin pie...smells like grandmas kitchen way back when on thanksgiving and christmas...could just sit and smell it all night

t-cinnamon and nutmeg up front..creamy pumpkin soon follows and segues into a malty middle only to finish up with more pumpkin and spice and a tad bit of alcohol

m-creamy and smooth..coats the mouth enough for the taste to linger and spice really shine through...good level of carbonation on the tongue is prickly...

d-could have a few of these in one night and not regret it at all..

its quite fitting to be drinking this tonight when we are expecting a foot of snow here..kind of reminds me of the holidays...i am truly impressed with this beer..wish i could get more...big thanks to ricky for the bottle

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

Reviewed on 1/18/10 poured into a shipyard pint glass, received as an extra from cosmohophead,thanks!

Appearance: orange and light brown, clear with a 2 finger head.

Smell: there is a distinct freshly ground cinammon, spices and ripe pumpkin.

Taste: this is surprisingly good and held up pretty well in my cellar. Opens with a cinammon/ spice profile which last till the very end. In the middle the pumpkin profile emerges accompanied by a caramel malt profile that carries into the finish. There is a really interesting tangy/ pumpkin aftertaste and there and an aromatic type of pumpkin that really takes over the aftertaste as well a mild warming affect.

Mouthfeel: light bodied, with moderate carbonation and ninja-ly warming.

Drinkability: I would definitely have this againn but I wouldn't seek it out unless it was regularly available. I recommend this to someone who enjoys a solid pumpkin ale with a prominent spice open and a malty and pumpkin middle and a deceptively warming aftertaste. Definitely worth the try.

4.19/5  rDev +0.5%

Well this is a well traveled beer. I received it from another BA who is no longer on the site. (see review just below mine..( case it's deleted) Anyway, he got it from Fernmaster in a previous trade... So I'll thank Fernmaster since he's still around.

Beer pours with a finger+ of fizzy off white head that quickly settles to a cap. The beer is a deep orange/amber color. No lacing to speak of. Good clarity, but there is a slight amount of particulate matter floating. (tiny)

Aroma is quite robust and very nice. Fall spices and even some pumpkin itself. Brown sugar as well.

Very good flavor. Good balance with just a touch too much sweetness. Brown sugar, pumpkin, nice spice profile including clove, cinnamon and perhaps some allspice.
Very bread like towards the end. You can definitely detect a higher ABV. I didn't look until I typed the previous sentence. 8% is about right from the flavor, although I was not anticipating this beer being that high. Reminds me of DFH Punkn' This is really nice to drink.

Medium in body, slightly less than syrupy and smooth. Slight carbonation.

Very drinkable and enjoyable. I am very happy that I had the opportunity to try this beer.

Well done Schlafly. I am glad that this bottle made the interesting trip from Fernmaster to me.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

I've had this on my wants for over a year and I finally got to try it - and as an extra too. Thanks Scott (heliosphann). This was bottled 23 Aug 2008

The color of a shiny copper penny when decanted, this beer has a thin off-white head that doesn't hang around too long, receding to a thin ring quite rapidly. I really like the color, so I won't be too harsh on the score.

The nose is quite excellent. Delicate with a blend of pumpkin and cream, I'm glad that this isn't a spice bomb. Mildly cidery in a way that really works well the cinnamon, the nutmeg rounds out the nose with the ginger being rather noticeable. I get the feeling that age has really helped this come together with the spices and the light sweetness being really well integrated.

The palate opens quite sweet with brown sugar, caramel, burnt sugar before the nutmeg and cinnamon come through, along with pumpkin and crystallized ginger. Quite like a good pumpkin pie, this tastes pretty darned good. Medium-light in body with a higher level of carbonation than it needs, the mid-palate feels a little watery. The finish, however, is good with a moderate combination of ginger, cinnamon and pumpkin. Thoroughly enjoyable, I'm thankful for the chance and will seek out in the future.

3.96/5  rDev -5%

12 oz bottle pours a very clear copper color with a very thin tan foam that fades to nothingness pretty quick. Just an ok looker.

Smell is one of the best, if not the best, pumpkin beers I have ever laid nose upon. It is the closest thing to pumpkin pie I have found in a brewski. The spices are not too heavy, but they have a nice sweetness and pumpkin balance.

Taste leans more towards the sugar-coated gingerbread end of the pumpkin ale spectrum. A bit sweet, but it helps balance out the spices nicely. It has a great gourdy pumpkin-ness to it that seems to be difficult to get into a beer and missing from many examples of the style. I do not find the beer to be as tasty as the nose indicates, but it is still a damn fine pumpkin ale. There is just a kiss of alcohol that is probably accentuated by the low carbonation, but does not taste like 8% at all. Good beer, but the search for the perfect pumpkin ale continues...

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Reviewed on 12/14/09
Enjoyed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Dark cloudy Brown, 1 finger of dark cream foam, lots of carbonation throughout

S - Strong cinnamon spices really reminded me of pumpkin pie, smell some malt notes but couldn't finger out any hops

T - Medium bodied, spiced malt flavor, a little hop bitterness at the end but fairly smooth going down

M - Medium bodied brew, spiced malt flavor, a little hop bitterness at the end but not overpowering

D - Very drinkable pumpkin brew. Another great brew from Schlafly. I great brew for the season's but due to the spices I know I could do only a couple. A great brew to share amongst others.

3.15/5  rDev -24.5%

A big "Thank You" to diekia & Jayli for getting this beer to me. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light golden brown color, with a thin off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of pumpkin, spices, caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out quite spicy with flavors of clove, cinnamon and nutmeg that are quickly followed by sweet flavors of caramel & pumpkin. There's a decent hops presence and a hearty malt character that provide a little bit of balance. The after-taste is sweet and slightly spicy.

M: Smooth and a little crisp but kind of syrupy, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Flavorful, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, good representation of style, it's a decent beer but there are better ones that I've had in the style.

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks goes out to UncleJimbo for this one.

Pours a very nice clean/clear dark golden amber/brown color, nice carbonation, little fizzy off-white head, with minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is really nice, malty, lots of cinamon/nutmeg/spices, and a good dose of caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, very nice touch of cinnamon/nutmeg/caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, this is a pretty tasty brew, glad to have had a chance to try it.

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Pours a burnt orange/brown with minimal to no head. There is not much carbonation bubbling up thru the beer.

S: Strong cinnamon or clove I can't tell which. Very spicy, overwhelms everything else. No discernible malt aroma.

T: Again, strong cinnamon/clove spiced taste. Very warm/hot in the back of the throat. Either from the cinnamon (like a red hot candy) or from the alcohol? Certainly, tastes like pumpkin pie spice but I don't notice the pumpkin flavor.

M: Medium body that comes off creamy like pumpkin pie.

D: Very filling. This is one or possibly 2 beers at a sitting proposition.

4.01/5  rDev -3.8%

A 12 oz. bottle, 'Bottled with love on 08 21 2009' (Happy 3-month birthday, Pumpkin Ale!). Poured to a pint glass. Thanks to unclejedi for both a disdain for pumpkin ales and a bit of spare luggage space with which to ferry this bottle to Portland.

Label: "I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion." - Henry David Thoreau.

A: Looks great at first: a vibrant amber with a skew toward ruby-redness. Plenty of carbonation and a tall cap (almost 2-fingers) of mocha-beige fizz. Good clarity, small streams of mini-carbonation, but the head dies FAR too quickly. Gone in less than a minute, not even a hint of film left. No lace either. Color and clarity are very nice but head retention is a big disappointment. Too big to score above a '3'...

S: Nice aroma, a rich and lightly buttery 'pumpkin pie' spiced sweetness. Cinnamon and nutmeg burst from the glass. Smells. Just. Like. Pie. Yum.

T: Loads of spice: nutmeg and cinnamon and allspice, rooty and bark-like...drying and somewhat akin to black pepper. Maltiness is a bit much; there's just enough spice and latent bitterness for balance. A good example of what the style should be, avoids being artificially 'pumpkin' in my opinion.

M: A little dull, not so carbonated as I'd have liked. medium-full feel (no complaints), but a certain viscous thickness that'd be cloying were it any sweeter. Fortunately the spice gives a good tingle and the elevated alcohol (a tough-to-detect 8%) is held in check.

D: Among the more flavorful pumpkin ales I've enjoyed. A little livlier feel and better look and this would rank among my favorites. As is, the spicing and aroma draw me in and keep me interested. One I'll want again and may go to some lengths to acquire next fall. Good job, Schlafly.

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a clear amber with a nice off-white head. Head fades quickly and leaves a nice ring around the glass.

S - The aroma is very pleasant. Nice caramel malt, nutmeg, cinnamon and other sweet spices. The pumpkin aroma is much stronger than other pumpkin beers.

T - The malt is the first thing I taste but that fades quickly to the sweet flavors. This is about as close to liquid pumpkin pie as you can get. This is very tasty.

M - Carbonation is medium and there is a fairly watery body.

D - Very drinkable and you cannot even notice the higher alcohol content.

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

Served into New Belgium globe w/ nucleation.

Appearance: A creamy white head starts out maybe one finger, and dissipates to a thin layer of bubbles. Body is a nice copperish amber color that, at the heart is nearly opaque.

Smell: Smells like a chai latte. Cinnamon is there, so is the nutmeg. But, the cloves are a little harder to pinpoint. Smell isn't too complex, but that's not a bad thing with this, because it still smells wonderful! I want pumpkin spice candles now.

Taste: Again, Chai Latte. Tastes like a chai that I get from my local barista, only iced and fizzy. Here the cloves do pop out quite a bit more to help edge some of the stronger spicy notes. You have to dig for the hops in this, but they're not supposed to be strong here. This is nommy.

Mouthfeel: A bright carbonation that dances on the tongue is probably the most noticeably thing about the mouth feel. The beer isn't too think or oily, and leaves a nice coating of spice on the roof of the mouth.

Drink: Being 8% abv you would think it would pack a tiny bit of a punch, but it doesn't. As far as I know this could be fairly sessionable. And the flavors mixed with the nice mouthfeel make a pretty drinkable seasonal ale.

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

To me, this is the best of the best in pumpkin ales. But it can be very hard to find. I called Roof Brothers in Paducah, KY and they were sold out of this seasonal, then I called Friar Tuck in Savoy (Champaign), IL and asked to have two six packs put aside. Well worth the effort tracking down this stuff. This is my absolute favorite Schlafly brew.

Poured into a Sam Adams sensory glass, a nice two inch foamy head forms. Be careful with the aggressive pour as some frothy goodness cascades over the edge. The frothy head quickly dissipates. But the fun is just beginning. A wonderful smelling beer. I think the smell tells alot about a beer and this one has a wonderful aroma. To me, smells just like pumpkin pie with whipped topping. That's what I imagine as I close my eyes and take in its nutmeg, pumpkin aroma.

The taste is the best part of Schlafly's pumpkin ale. So glad I picked up two six packs. I'm gonna enjoy this one throughout the holiday season. Taste, to me, is liquid pumpkin goodness. Mouthful is not thin like a lot of seasonal offerings. Thus, the drinkability is equally top notch. Even at 8 percent ABV, I can have two of these in one sitting and not feel even slightly buzzed.

As I said earlier, this is the best of the best in pumpkin ales. Great job, Schlafly.

4.54/5  rDev +8.9%

Another addition to my autumn-long pumpkin ale taste test, and this one is absolutely great. Glad I came across this before they start disappearing from the shelves to make room for other seasonal releases. Pour is from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a perfectly coppery/ruby color; head starts at 1 and 1/2 fingers and fades almost immediately to an uneven layer of thin froth on the surface; body is clear and shows very light carbonation; a thin oily residue is left on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Spices are especially abundant and pouring out of the glass (strong and warm cinammon and nutmeg, as well as a certain carmalized or brown sugar sweetness that reminds me a bit of graham crackers).

Taste: Absolutely fantastic! Wonderful and warm spice flavors are all over the palate and leave me feeling like I just had a piece of pie. Strong cinammon and nutmeg and a very slight flavor of pumpkin flesh are present and dominate every aspect of the flavor. I'm not sure if I'm drinking a beer or having desert.

Mouthfeel: Warm and tingly on the palate (could be from the 8% ABV or spiciness, but it's definitely not from the carbonation); carbonation is fairly mild and smooth; mouth is left slightly sticky and warms the chest down to the belly.

Drinkability: Wonderful flavors and smells; a very filling beer and the ABV is a tad high - while it's great, I don't think I'd want more than one in a night because it sits a little heavy and you can definitely feel the 8% creeping up in the back of the head.

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%

decent orange/brown color,alright head.not much lacing.still looks alright. heavy cinnamon in the nose,pumpkin and other spices in the back round.

taste has some pumpkin,cinnamon,overall pumpkin spice dominates though.bit of alcohol warming in the finish. medium bodied,pretty drinkably. wish this was a regular in ohio.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Consumed 11/1
Acquire this one from Diekia so a big THANK YOU goes out to her!

A: This beer pours a beautiful deep crystal clear amber color with a one finger of off white head. Head recedes quickly with not much lacing to speak of.

N: Nose is of cinnamon, brown sugar and pumpkin. Not an overdose of spicing as per most pumpkin beers.

T: Taste is pumpkin at the forefront blended nicely in to some caramel malts, brown sugar, and a sharp cinnamon finish. The beer is blended nicely that the sharpness completely enhances the beer. As the beer warms, the alcohol becomes mildly detectable.

M: Medium body, low carbonation, oily feel with a slick coating in the finish.

D: By and far one of the best pumpkin beers that I've had. I easily had a few of these on football Sunday. Too bad Schlafly doesn't distribute here!

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%

I have to admit I'm surprised I never heard of this beer before. The only BAs I know who seem to really like pumpkin ales claim this is the best, so I couldn't pass an offer to try it. Now I know why I've never seen it in the stores - it goes too fast. Thanks so much RoyMunson for sharing this with me! Review is on the bottle poured into a snifter.

Beer pours the color of bourbon - a nice golden, honey-amber shade with good clarity. A light white fizzy head fades to clumpy, bubbly islands of foam that float along the top of the beer. Spots of sticky white lace freckle the glass.

Aroma is typically my favorite aspect of any pumpkin ale, but this one definitely outshines most of the competition. There is a clear cinnamon essence, but it is as much on the sweet side as on the spicy side and reminds me of snickerdoodle cookies. In addition I get a caramelly essence from the malts that I swear is bottled caramel apples and a hint of brown sugar sweetness and lightly toasted malt. The pumpkin doesn't come out as much as the pumpkin pie spices do, but it's in there, sweetly earthy and rich.

This beer is definitely tasty without killing my tastebuds with one overwhelming flavor as in others of this style. The pumpkin that hid in the aroma really shines in the flavors. I can practically taste the creaminess of the pumpkin pie filling from the thoughts that the taste conjures. The spices are not overwhelming in any way, but they are present in very complimentary form. The light cinnamon, nutmeg, honey and caramel flavors come out subtly along with a creaminess that pulls all the tastes together. The feel falls a little flat for me, but it complements the flavors well, allowing them to dominate the experience.

Beer is definitely drinkable. It is nicely warming in taste and in experience, and the balance of the flavors is very impressive for this style. I enjoy the full-flavoring that is also in many ways subtle. I'll definitely try to find this one along with my Pumking next year!

3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

poured golden copper into a willi. Some thin white head.

Smells of spices and a hint of pumpkin. Clove, cinnamon, allspice, with a malty sweetness.

Tastes spicy and sweet. mostly spices overpower the pumpkin but it is still a strong enough malt character that makes it a well bodied spice that isn't thin and lifeless. nice balance and a good mouthfeel, could be a bit over-carbonated and cloying. drinks easy but i don't think I could bring myself to put down more than two at a time.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

an extra in a trade from Springdogg, thanks Marc

A - this pumpkin brew is dark orange/ruddy red with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly, no visible carbonation

S - a quality pumpkin aroma, with the assocaited seasonal spices , nutmeg and cinnamon, plus some roasted malts as well

T - the subtle pumpkin-ness is amazing, its a simple flavorful, not overdone pumpkin element, plus the seasonal spices are at the appropriate level, not too subtle, not overzealous, the roasted malts offer a nice balance

M&D - smooth and easy drinking, medium bodied, and lightly carbonated, one of the better pumpkin beers i have ever had, nice introduction to a brewery for me

12oz single - scooped from citywide downtown South Bend and consumed pre ND-BC

cellphone notes

appearance: thin burnt orange body, light beige froth

smell: heavy on the spice - cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin seed, clove

taste: would not have guessed this was 8% - this one falls into the class of heavily-spiced pumpkin ales that are not so heavy on the pumpkin...cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, pumpkin seed, cream

mouthfeel: active, a touch spicy

drinkability: good