Schlafly Pumpkin Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 09-16-2006

Our Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie. Pounds of pumpkin form a malty foundation that supports the fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

While pumpkin beers were produced in the early days of the American colonies, they were different from the pumpkin beers we know today. Colonists used pumpkin and squash as the fermenting medium, since malted barley was scarce. Once malt became more readily available, it replaced these alternatives to grain. In the 1990’s, American craft brewers reintroduced the style to the delight of pumpkin beer drinkers.

Reviews: 486 | Hads: 1,949
3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a very dark amber color with no head. Smell is nutmeg and clover. Not getting all the cinnamon that was advertised, but still a decent nose. Taste is exactly the same as the nose. Taste has a acidic, bitterness taste to it. Medium body in the mouthfeel. This is a very sessionable beer, but at 8% it will definitely be felt. (330 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

So, just when I thought I had had every great pumpkin based brew, I get this as an extra in a trade (thanks Tilley4!).

The nose on this thing is worth noting. If you're trying to introduce newbies to what beer can be in terms of different styles, adjuncts, etc- have them get a whiff of this brew! Pumpkin pie in a glass!

The taste is less so but still quite enticing. Mouthfeel is on the watery side but most of the pumpkin brews are (that I've had at least).

Very drinkable. Good stuff! (492 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -3.1%

A- Brilliantly clear amber colored ale with a large off-white head that dissipates to nothing.

A- Quite a sweet pumpkin pie aroma. Also notes of spices related to pumpkin pie such as nutmeg, cinnamon, and a bit of ginger.

T- Wow, a pumpkin beer seasonal that actually tastes like pumpkin pie, opposed to so many other pumpkin seasonals that I taste nothing remotely like a pumpkin. Sweet pumpkin pie flavor fills your mouth and leaves a nice aftertaste similar to finishing some pumpkin pie. Finishes semi-dry with a little tickle on the tongue feeling. Slight bitter tanniny like aftertaste on the tongue.

M- Medium body with carbonation that seemed a bit on the high side, but overall quite nice. Goes down rather smooth.

D- I really enjoyed this pumpkin ale. If you want a pumpkin ale that actually tastes like pumpkin pie this is the beer for you. That said, I'm not sure this beer is exactly a sessionable pumpkin ale at 8% abv not to mention it is a bit rich. (969 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

After all the generic pumpkin ales offered by the big breweries this was heaven sent. I always wondered when I drank things like Harvest Moons Pumpkin Ale, why bother making a fall pumpkin ale when there is no pumpkin flavor?
That is not the case here. It poured a medium-dark red with a hint of orange. A pumpkin pie scent is apparant in the smell. Hope began to build within me. After the first sip I was won over. It tasted like pumpkin pie and beer! Any man's dream during a crisp Autumn season. And it is so drinkable for 8% abv. Something to look forward to at harvest time. Very, very, well done Schlafly. (614 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

I was able to pick up a twelve pack of this one. I had heard very good things and this was as solid as a pupkin ale as I was gonna get this year. Served cold, this will be my official review after drinking this one for a couple months. Consumed on 01/07/2009.

The pour was classic for the style. Rich light amber in color with a smooth and delicate looking carbonation that bubbled up from the bottom of the glass throughout. A nice touch of white on the top and it settled down lightly into a small broken crown,

The aroma was light, nicely spiced and full of grain. lIght notes of fresh hops bouncing around in here with lots of nutmeg and cinnamon. The flavor was very solid. Light grains, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumkin, and touches of light grass flavors. Really very well done. No hint of alcohol at all. I actually just saw this was 8%, what the hell, I thought it was like four. This was really well done and very sessionable. I had no idea how strong this was.

Overall one of the best, most drinkable pumkin ales I have come across. Not really anything bad to say here. Solid all the way around! (1,101 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +12.5%

Huge Thanks to mikesgroove for this sweet treat.

A: Pours a copper hue with a nice tan foamy head. The retention is low with no lace noted.

S: Wonderful aromas only to be outdone by Cigar City and Southern Tier. Tons of spice with bold notes of ginger and cinnamon. Light pumpkin aromas hang in the back.

T: Wow this is a top tier pumpkin brew. Tons of sugary sweetness up front. Hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. Light tones of pumpkin show through. I really like this one. It may be the sweetest of all the pumpkin beers though. If you hate sweet you will not like it, if you love it like I do, this is a winner.

M: Medium in body, smooth with good carbonation.

D: Very, I could pound a sixer of these. My third favorite pumpkin brew, its some tasty shit. Pure dessert in a bottle. (803 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Big thanks to Monkeyknife for this in a trade.

Pours a coppery orange with a finger or so of creamy off-white head. Retains around the edges with some thin wisps in the center, that leaves a nice looking cascade of lacing that slides down the sides of the glass. The aroma is Wow! Holy spices! Cinnamon, clove, allspice, and brown sugar just dominate but I'm also picking up some underlying hints of pumpkin, citrus tang, and additional sweet notes. This is definitely one of THEE most assertive aromas that I've ever smelled on a pumpkin beer.

The taste is a sticky mix of spices, citric fruity tang, and sweet pumpkin meat. The brown sugar notes in this really make the profile, adding a sense of sugary sweetness to the mix. Finishes spicy and tangy on the palette. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a creamy carbonation that possesses a bit of an occasional prickle at times which accentuates the spicy notes. I also can't believe that this beer is 8%, as the creaminess of the carbonation really does a lot to alleviate the body from having a lot of beef to it that an ABV that high would usually bring along.

Well colored me impressed, as I believe that this may well be the most robust and possibly best Pumpkin Ale that I've ever had out of the bottle. Really strong stuff here that I wish I had some more of. (1,357 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

GLASS: Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Golden amber tinted copper color with a slight haze. Good, full head of foam. Minimal retention and lacing.

Cinnamon and nutmeg mingle with allspice and a slight scent of pumpkin. Good malty notes here.

This one's a keeper!
Very nice pumpkin flavor mixes with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Good malty backbone. Sweet, yet spicey. Good balance.

Nice and creamy mouthfeel. Good medium body, like this style should be, IMO. Great carbonation level, almost perfect.

Very drinkable. I'd love to have access to this on a regular basis. (582 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

It has a dark brown/bronze amber body. It has a good head at first but goes away fast. It has some wonderful tight lace. It has both strong aromas of pumpkin and spice. In addition it has sweet aroma but tastes even sweeter. It is slightly spice just right and not over or under done. It has the taste of fresh pumpkin. The mouthfeel is pretty fizzy. Good representation of the style. (384 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6%

Finally!!! A pumpkin ale done right! A terrific seasonal offering from Schlafly...

Very Marzen-like appearance to this one....a nice burnished copper color with a nice ring of foam that swirls around...

Loads of cinnamon, nutmeg, and a variety of other spices dominate the nose....there's also a deep maltiness present as well that gives this a nutty quality...

Wow...this is terrific! Its like drinking pumpkin pie filling...its sweet but not overly so, spicy but not overloaded....and the alcohol? What alcohol? Is there even any in there? Its non-existent which would make this one scary.... Very scary..

I could see myself having several of these over a nice fall dinner or simply as a dessert brew...

Very delicious and very well done... (747 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

a - poured a one fingers thick off-white head into a tumbler that settled into a thin ring of lace. the body was a clear bright amber.
s - aroma of cinnamon and pumpkin.
t - malty and bready pumpkin with a sweet finish. tastes most like pumpkin bread more than anything except pumking.
m - slightly thin.
d - highly drinkable. good beer but still lacks the pop that pumpking and punkin have. (391 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz bottle, bottled on 9/10/08. Served in a shaker pint. Poured a slightly hazy amber/gold with a thin off white head. Great aroma with plenty of pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Medium bodied. More pumpkin pie spice in the flavor. Some malty sweetness and a little burnt sugar as it warms. Pretty drinkable for a spiced beer. Alcohol is fairly hidden. A great fall seasonal. (383 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

Big ups for the bottle.

A: Poured a super deep reddish copper color. One of the darkest pumpkin ales I have ever seen. Initially had about a finger and a half of slightly darker than white head. Poor head retention.

S: More of a roasted pumpkin nose. Some faint nutmeg in the back dominating the other pumpkin spices.

T: Wow. That is a big pumpkin taste. Reminds me of a better version of Southampton's. The spices and pumpkin are really well balanced. You even get a hint of malt in this which is unique and welcome.

M: Nice medium to thick body.

D: This is probably the 2nd or 3rd best pumpkin ale I have ever had. Pumking is the king. Then Bethlehem brewworks version and this are neck and neck. A really nice beer all around. Definately surprised me. (760 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -5.5%

A - Average amber color with a small head. Looks pumpkiny.

S - Nice cinnamon and nutmeg aroma. Maybe a little malty.

T - Nice. Good pumpkin spice flavors right up front but also balances some fairly aggresive malt and a touch of alcohol.

M - Average.

D - Good. For the ABV this is a very drinkable beer. The sweetness is nicely balanced with some darker malt and alcohol.

This is the best pumpkin I've had. (416 characters)

4.17/5  rDev 0%

Pours a rather clear amber color with a thin off white head. Poor retention and no lacing.

The aroma is ok. Sweet caramel with a slight bit of cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg. Not quite as fragrant as I would like.

The taste is pretty good. A nice bit of caramel maltiness and then a load of "pumpkin pie" features. Pumpkin is available, but there is a big dose of cinnamon and nutmeg that really set this beer off. Too many Pumpkin Ales skimp on this component, and this one seems to have done it right.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with plenty of lively carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly high. It's a solid Pumpkin with good flavor and well hidden alcohol. A great beer to drink alone or with friends. (707 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Nice, nutty pumpkin-y color - light orange/brown. Pours with a decent, slightly off-white head and moderate lacing. Good retention.

S: Spicy, pumpkin pie-like smell. Cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin - in that order.

T: Pumpkin pie in a glass; not quite as much so as Pumking, but still very much so. Nice balance between pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg, although the cinnamon steals the show as far as spices go. Incredibly pleasant aftertaste.

M: Rich and creamy, yet leaves a clean finish. A bit more body would be nice, but it's still dang good.

D: I could seriously drink this all day long and not be sick of it. One of the few beers that I am willing to buy in 6-pack form instead of by the bottle. (701 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

I'm not going to go into great detail about it's appearance, taste, smell and whatnot as that is the traditional fare of this site. Instead I will comment on how great this beer really is. Out of all the pumpkin ales I have sampled this year, Schlafly has produced the only ale worthy of being called pumpkin ale.

I've tried New Holland, Michelob, O'Fallon, Harvest Moon, Shipyard, and others this year and the only one that truly captured the rich pumpkin flavor one would expect from a pumpkin ale was Schlafly. This is definitely my favorite of the season even ranking above my favorite Märzens. (601 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

Wow! What an amazing take on beer. Since the beginning of the season (fall beers that is) I have tried Michelob's Jacks Pumpkin Spice, DFH's Punkin Ale, O'Fallon's Pumpkin Ale, and Blue Moon's Harvest Moon and with out a doubt this is the best Pumpkin Ale available. The price is phenomenal for the 8% ABV and amount of beer (DFH's Punkin Ale is $10 for 4 while this is $10 for 6). The color is a dark amber/copper hue that has a nice yet subtle translucency to it. The head is a nice beige that recedes to a thin lace around the edge of the glass. The first sip is a fusion of a good ale and a great pumpkin pie. The nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin dominate your mouth and challenge you to find a more delectable flavored beer. I rate the drinkability as average because of the loss of flavor with every beer. I suggest waiting between beers, possibly drinking something else, rather than pouring one after another. I cannot wait to bring a sixer of this to thanksgiving. (969 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a pint glass, has a nice head to it. This is a fantastic smelling spicy pumpkin. Cinnamon is the dominant aroma here. Flavor is dominated by the cinammon as well. Pumpkin Pie in a glass, as another reviewer put it. I haven't had a lot of pumpkin beers, but this one ranks at the top so far, especially considering the price of $9 for a sixer of 8% ABV beer. This outranked DFH punkin ale to me, and that one cost $10 for a 4 pack.

As far as drinkability, the whole glass is good from beginning to end. But as heavily as it is spiced, I can say I have never wanted a second right away. Gotta let the taste buds settle down.

edit 09/09 - oh how my tastes have changed over a year. This beer is still fantastic, but I could drink several of these in a sitting, provided I didn't have to drive afterwards. upgrading 'drinkability' (840 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a rather intense burnt orange color with reddish highlights in the glass. The thick collar of foam rises well above the rim and is colored a pale off-white with the slightest orange hue. Active carbonation can be seen rising from the bottom of the glassware, feeding the massive head of foam. The nose is heavily spiced - cinnamon abounds, followed by cloves, allspice, nutmeg and a pleasant, caramel malty sweetness taking up the rear. This beer is the liquid summation of the word "festive." The palate doesn't disappoint in this regard either. Bursting forth with aggressive spices and warm, slightly roasted malt characteristics, this is like a baked pumpkin pie in a glass. The cinnamon is the dominant spice in this one. Perhaps because the spices are so heavy in the nose and on the palate, the alcohol is scarcely detectable though this beer weighs in at 8% ABV. Once you get past the spices, a solid well-crafted amber ale is waiting to greet you - slightly sweet, roasted malts and a complimentary hop profile leave this beer tasting surprisingly balanced for such a big, spice-heavy beer. The mouth feel is medium thick, but not too much so. The carbonation level is ample enough to keep this one from being perceived as too heavy or malt rich. Nice trick. The finish is smooth and warm, with a lingering spicy note or two hanging around. All in all, this is and has been one of my favorite pumpkin ales of all time. I am a spice head, so the aggressive levels of spice found here are not a negative for me, but some may find them too intense. While I could easily drink a few of these at a sitting, the well-hidden alcohol content prohibits that notion. This is a beer I'll stock up on and have on hand through winter's chill. Perhaps I'll even squirrel away one or two bottles and see what a year or two in the cellar does to the flavor profile - at *% ABV, this one should be able to handle it okay. Now if I can just keep my hands off of it for that long. (1,976 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1.2%

Very fresh bottle to be had here. Bottled on 8-25-08

I'll preface this review by saying this is far from my favorite style, granted I've not had a ton of them.. but of the ones I have had I only like one and that would be this one and I look forward to it every year.

To say I like this beer would be an understatement.. this is one of the many reasons Fall is my favorite season.

The beer pours to a orange color, with slight red tones.

The head solid, though doesn't last as long as I would like. A nice thin lacing throughout the entire glass.

The smell is just like one would imagine.. pumpkin.. to be more specific pumpkin pie! It reminds me of Holidays and brings a smile to my face. Pumpkin, Cinnamon and nutmeg are all there and in full force. Very nice to be sure.

The taste is akin to a liquefied pumpkin pie... if you have even a slight liking toward pumpkin pies, you will likely enjoy this beer. It follows the smell and the same things are brought to the forefront. Pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon all there and in tandem with a nice malt backbone.

While I am thrilled to see this beer back on the shelf, it might be time for me to sample more pumpkin ale's as admittedly it's been awhile since I tried the others that I disliked.

Regardless though, I'll be buying a few more six packs of this while it's still available. (1,340 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

Clear, reddish orange color, slim white head.

Big pumpkin pith aroma, with nutmeg and cinnamon. Lovely stuff.

Smooth and solid in the mouth. Supple and satisfying. Medium bodied, plump with flavor but an ease to drink.

Good texture, great flavor. Is it 8%? I wouldn't have guessed... (287 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

This pours a darker amber color, with a nice, white head. When I smelled it, my nose said "hello pumpkin pie." Obviously a strong pumpkin pie smell, with a dash of sweet malts. You can taste nutmeg and cinnamon as it goes down and it finishes with a malty backbone and a great pumpkin aftertaste. Goes down easily, with a tad bit of carbonation. This was very drinkable for a spiced beer, the 8% alcohol wasn't even noticeable.

Overall, this pumpkin beer knocked the socks off of others I have tried. This was a great seasonal offering by Schlafly and one of the stronger offerings I have tried from this brewer. (613 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Leftmindedrighty for the trade.

This is easily the best pumpkin beer I've had. Sure, there isn't a great deal of deviation within the style, but this left a great impression on me. Compared to the other big pumpkin beers like Pumking and Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin, this was richer in pumpkin flavor, while also being more drinklable. The taste is just a nice mix of pumpkin meat with dashes of spice and a mellow malt backbone. A must-try for pumpkin beer lovers. (479 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from bottle (dated oct 23, 2007) tasted 3/10/07).
Pour is is orange, pretty darn close to the label color! A rust hue.

Rocky white head - gone quickly, little lace.

Nose is of nutmeg and ginger. A bit of alcohol.

First taste is a bit flat - medium bodied. Gentle maltiness backed with geneorus cinnamon, nutmeg and then the ginger mid-mouth. A nice complexity of spices. Mouthfeel is overall, good.

Notes 8% on the lable - the alcohol doesn't hit you as much on flavor as the nose - then slowly provides some warmth as consumed.

A flavorful spiced beer with complex developments from the spice, nice fall/winter warmer. Only negative for me is the mouthfeel - could provide a fuller feel. No complaints overall - well designed and flavorful beer. (759 characters)

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale from The Schlafly Tap Room