Schlafly Pumpkin Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 09-16-2006

Our Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie. Pounds of pumpkin form a malty foundation that supports the fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

While pumpkin beers were produced in the early days of the American colonies, they were different from the pumpkin beers we know today. Colonists used pumpkin and squash as the fermenting medium, since malted barley was scarce. Once malt became more readily available, it replaced these alternatives to grain. In the 1990’s, American craft brewers reintroduced the style to the delight of pumpkin beer drinkers.

Reviews: 503 | Hads: 2,002

12oz single - scooped from citywide downtown South Bend and consumed pre ND-BC

cellphone notes

appearance: thin burnt orange body, light beige froth

smell: heavy on the spice - cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin seed, clove

taste: would not have guessed this was 8% - this one falls into the class of heavily-spiced pumpkin ales that are not so heavy on the pumpkin...cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, pumpkin seed, cream

mouthfeel: active, a touch spicy

drinkability: good (461 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured from a bottle into a plain old pint glass. Good color and robust head. Aroma seems fairly typical of pumpkin ale. All the familiar spices are present. Medium strong malt aroma with notes of caramel and toastiness. Flavor is strong and immediate of clove with a mild bitterness and malt flavor. Clove is immediate and almost overpowering in my opinion. It led to a sharp flavor on the back of my tongue and an unpleasant lingering flavor in the finish. Simply too much clove in my opinion. (495 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into my pint glass, this beer is a clear burnt orange with a nice white head that quickly falls into a lasting ring around the glass. The aroma is of clove, spice, and nutmeg. Smells pretty tasty! Speaking of taste... the first one is like I just bit into a slice of pumpkin pie. This is nice, not fake-tasting like a lot of other pumpkin beers I've had. The mouthfeel is a little thin but the taste lingers and somehow gets better after the beer passes through my esophagus. This is definitely my favorite pumpkin beer and I can't wait to have some more this Thanksgiving. (580 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +4.6%

I got a six pack in a trade from Beersis81, who is just a great trader.

A: Burnt orange with a half inch of head that dissapated really quickly into one fine ring around the top. not much carbonation rushes up from the bottom and almost no lacing.

S: MMM, heavily cinnamon spiced without being overwhelming and I love it. This is very much the smell of pumpkin pie that I am used to. Some sweetness comes through, but mainly spices that are spot on.

T: Oh yeah, that is tasty. The cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves are balance nicely by the sweet pumpkin. It is not to sweet or too vegatative. Very much the taste of fresh pumpkin bread.

M: Medium Body with a bit of chalkiness.

D: In my opinion, Pumking has met its match. Slightly heavier on the spices and less sweet, but it also is very well balanced. It does have a few flaws and is not as good once it warms up but definitely a hit in my book (898 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Dark ruby orange color. Very nice to look at. Small head that disappears quick.

Smell: Not for hopheads but i found it delightful. Smells of pumpkin, obviously, nutmeg, really rises from the head, and clove...sort of like a djarum black cigarette...made me want one actually.

Taste: Pumpkin

Aftertaste: Very spirit like, almost like i was drinking bourbon or what not. No real bitterness, malty, but not too strong.

Drinkability: Non ninny pumpkin ale. Strong but festive. Put me in the mood for some good crisp air. I wish i was around a firepit with my bros in the cold weather. (596 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%

I had heard about Schlafly's Pumpkin ale from my BDBF (Best Drinking Buddy Forever) last year but couldn't find it anywhere. I happened into a fresh delivery at my favorite microbrew retailer by chance today and jumped on a 6 pack right out of a just-opened case. I wasn't sure of ABV or cost since neither were marked, but based on last year's review I didn't care.

I just opened my first and poured into my favorite snifter. It poured a gorgeous ruby to copper color with a nice 1 finger light golden head that dissipated after about 30 seconds or so with light lacing. Just enough to get a great snuff of the pumpkin and pie spices. Whoa, what a pleasant jolt to the olfactory lobe!

The first sip revealed a spicy nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice bite with a well-rounded balance of malt and caramel to smooth out the bite. A slight pumpkin flavor on the late end with a mild alcohol bite and a finishing bitter pumpkin aftertaste. Very nice for 8.0 ABV.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied which was just right to convey this fall concoction of flavors. Very nice beer to usher in the cooler weather.

Drinkability was very good if you enjoy this style of flavored ale. This is by far the tastiest pumkin ale I have tasted to date. Highly recommended as it met and exceeded my expectations from last years report. Hope I can get at least a few more sixes before it is gone this year!!! (1,382 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%

bottled on 9/08/09

pours clear dark ruby golden brown with little head that fades fast and left no lacing

smells of sweet pumpkiny booze and spices

taste is great - honey sweet pumpkin and spices

mouthfeel is a slick medium body with heavy carbonation

drinkability takes a hit for the 8% abv (296 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from a bottle into a Pint Glass.
The Appearance of this beer rocks. The pour is great with three fingers of foam. The head stays for a little bit then disappears after twenty seconds or so, perfect timing in my opinion. It gives you enough time to appreciate the appearance and smell the beer properly before tilting it back. It's a nice orange reddish color with a little bit of bubbling action. Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale may have the best smell of any pumpkin beer I've ever had. All of the spices are intense, the cinnamon, nutmeg and clove work in a perplexingly good culmination of flavors and scents. I walked around my house and put the beer under my roommate's noses and then slow on the cue I'd exclaim, "Smell." (As if they had a choice then.) I'm beginning a new thing of wanting the scent of beers made into candles, this is one such beer. But then comes the taste. I'm torn on this one like I'm Michael Bay's plot structure. Instead of the dichotomy of racism and explosions (Bay), it's my love for pumpkin beer and this beer too much of a pumpkin. The taste hits your senses in the face like it's Chris Brown. My immediate reaction was, 'whoa I love this beer' and then I thought, 'ow.' It's just too much at once. I love pumpkin beers, but there's just too much spice action in this one - so much so that it kills my enjoyment of the beer. I cringe every time I take a drink; it's just so sweet. I'll drink my 6pack and enjoy it well enough, but I don't think I'll buy another. (1,496 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours an effervescent chestnut with a finger of cream colored head. A bit of lacing & zero head retention, really dragged this score down

S: Pumpkins & pumpkin pie spices, cinnamon, allspice, & nutmeg

T: Pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, dryness & brown sugar up front. Spices start to dominate as this warms, cinnamon & nutmeg especially, plus some squashy/pumpkin notes as well. Finishes warming with nutmeg & cinnamon

MF: Medium bodied, fairly low carbonation & a nice warming sensation, expected a bit more malt depth though

Drinks pretty easy, the ABV is well hidden, but lacks the total package of say, an Ichabod, but I would certainly grab a sixer of this during the fall every year (687 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

WHOA! This beer certainly caught me by surprise. I was expecting a fruity but earthy subtle tasting beer. What you get is a big flavored spicy beer that is a bit like mom's pumpkin pie (but not as sweet). I could smell the spices right away and the taste was was very spicy with lots of cinnamon, nutmeg and more going on. Interesting to try for sure but not a beer I could drink several of. I will have it again though. (420 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

Everything that is great and good about this beer has already been said in other reviews, all I can add is my opinion and that this stuff is nectar for the pagan Hollows Eve Gods.

I have had many pumpkin beers and this is the best that has crossed my lips. (257 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottle to pint glass. Pours a really dark copper color with a one finger white head. The head reduces to almost no head leaving little to no lacing down the glass. The smell is what I expect, pumpkin and spices right away. More pumpkin in the smell than some other pumpkin ales I've had so right off the bat I like this one. Taste is very pumpkiny and spices are also there. Very sweet tasting, pretty much liquid pumpkin pie. Great overall. A bit higher ABV but it's not noticeable. I'd love to sit back and have a few of these if not more on a Sunday or something watching football. Overall I might have to say this is one of my favorite pumpkin ales I've had yet and not only that but probably the best beer I've had from Schlafly yet. Great stuff I love it. I'll be picking up more and stocking up for when autumn actually gets here. (837 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured into a pint glass

A-Very deep burnt orange, light maybe 1 finger head, very nice color.

S-Smells like warm pumpkin bread, the bready smell mixes very will with a spicy pumpkin sweetness.

T-Flavor is much like the smell very bready and sweet, but with a nice malt quality and very much a good quality beer with some very subtle hops in the middle and finish.

M-its a little undercarbonated but the balance of the sweetness with the malt and subtle hops make for a relitivly complex october beer.

D-Easy to drink and very nice to have this time of year, easy to session. (580 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -10.8%

No one has reviewed the 2009 batch yet? Here goes.

served from a 12oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass

Schlafly Pumpkin sits in the glass like a perfect metaphor for Fall. It pours an autumnal burnt orange, like dead leaves. The head was two fingers large on the pour but receded fast into a small ring. Little lacing. The clarity and consistency of color helps bring the score up.

The familiar pumpkin ale aromas are all present and accounted for in this beer. Schlafly doesn't pull any surprises, but they do achieve a nice balance. Nutmeg and clove hit the hardest, with cinnamon lagging behind. Toasted malt complements the spices and toasty pumpkin seed becomes more assertive as the beer warms.

The pumpkin flavor is much stronger on the palate. Its a natural, squashish pumpkin flavor that doesn't taste artificial at all. There seems to be more clove in this year's batch, which doesn't thrill me, but it isn't out-of-hand or anything. Just enough nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon to approximate a "pumpkin pie" flavor profile, but the natural pumpkin flavor is what shines through the most. Light, biscuity malt ties everything together.

Mouthfeel is fine. The carbonation level is above average, which goes a long way towards refreshing the palate of all of those spices. At the same time, heavily spiced beers are almost never going to get a high drinkability score from me due to personal preference. One or two six packs will last me the whole season.

Pumpkin ale is a style that I associate with Sunday afternoon NFL games, and Schlafly Pumpkin is the one that I will reach for above all others. I haven't had Southern Tier's Pumking, but it will have to be very impressive for me to prefer it over Schlafly. I really enjoy the more natural pumpkin flavors from this beer. (1,801 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- deep orange with cream colored head that dissolved quickly, leaving only lacing

S- Smells as expected, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger. Its all there.

T- There is much of what it smells like, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, hints of alcohol, somewhat bitter finish.

M- Fairly heavy, but this is 8% alcohol afterall, with mild carbonation.

D- I don't know if I could drink allot of these. Maybe in the winter or fall. It creates a warming feeling when consumed as well. Could be the alcohol and ginger. I would be willing to give another try when it isn't so warm outside. This bottle apparently is a year old also, which may have affected the flavor. (699 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

Bottle at PPRBSG09. Pours a clear orange. Aroma of sweet pumpkin pie. Some crust too, but mostly pie. Flavor of cinnamon, sweet crust, and lots of pumpkin spices. Quite good (especially considering it's out of season). One of my favorite pumpkin beers. (252 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

A 12 ounce bottle poured into a nonic Imperial pint glass. The ale appears a hazed rich amber color with an inch of fluffy off white, lingering foam. Nose and flavor are of medium roasted pumpkin meat and toasted grain, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, sweet caramelized malts. About medium in both body and carbonation. Without a doubt, one of the better pumpkin ales out there. Absolutely worth your time. (402 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a very dark amber color with no head. Smell is nutmeg and clover. Not getting all the cinnamon that was advertised, but still a decent nose. Taste is exactly the same as the nose. Taste has a acidic, bitterness taste to it. Medium body in the mouthfeel. This is a very sessionable beer, but at 8% it will definitely be felt. (330 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +9.6%

So, just when I thought I had had every great pumpkin based brew, I get this as an extra in a trade (thanks Tilley4!).

The nose on this thing is worth noting. If you're trying to introduce newbies to what beer can be in terms of different styles, adjuncts, etc- have them get a whiff of this brew! Pumpkin pie in a glass!

The taste is less so but still quite enticing. Mouthfeel is on the watery side but most of the pumpkin brews are (that I've had at least).

Very drinkable. Good stuff! (492 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -3.1%

A- Brilliantly clear amber colored ale with a large off-white head that dissipates to nothing.

A- Quite a sweet pumpkin pie aroma. Also notes of spices related to pumpkin pie such as nutmeg, cinnamon, and a bit of ginger.

T- Wow, a pumpkin beer seasonal that actually tastes like pumpkin pie, opposed to so many other pumpkin seasonals that I taste nothing remotely like a pumpkin. Sweet pumpkin pie flavor fills your mouth and leaves a nice aftertaste similar to finishing some pumpkin pie. Finishes semi-dry with a little tickle on the tongue feeling. Slight bitter tanniny like aftertaste on the tongue.

M- Medium body with carbonation that seemed a bit on the high side, but overall quite nice. Goes down rather smooth.

D- I really enjoyed this pumpkin ale. If you want a pumpkin ale that actually tastes like pumpkin pie this is the beer for you. That said, I'm not sure this beer is exactly a sessionable pumpkin ale at 8% abv not to mention it is a bit rich. (969 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

After all the generic pumpkin ales offered by the big breweries this was heaven sent. I always wondered when I drank things like Harvest Moons Pumpkin Ale, why bother making a fall pumpkin ale when there is no pumpkin flavor?
That is not the case here. It poured a medium-dark red with a hint of orange. A pumpkin pie scent is apparant in the smell. Hope began to build within me. After the first sip I was won over. It tasted like pumpkin pie and beer! Any man's dream during a crisp Autumn season. And it is so drinkable for 8% abv. Something to look forward to at harvest time. Very, very, well done Schlafly. (614 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6.7%

I was able to pick up a twelve pack of this one. I had heard very good things and this was as solid as a pupkin ale as I was gonna get this year. Served cold, this will be my official review after drinking this one for a couple months. Consumed on 01/07/2009.

The pour was classic for the style. Rich light amber in color with a smooth and delicate looking carbonation that bubbled up from the bottom of the glass throughout. A nice touch of white on the top and it settled down lightly into a small broken crown,

The aroma was light, nicely spiced and full of grain. lIght notes of fresh hops bouncing around in here with lots of nutmeg and cinnamon. The flavor was very solid. Light grains, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumkin, and touches of light grass flavors. Really very well done. No hint of alcohol at all. I actually just saw this was 8%, what the hell, I thought it was like four. This was really well done and very sessionable. I had no idea how strong this was.

Overall one of the best, most drinkable pumkin ales I have come across. Not really anything bad to say here. Solid all the way around! (1,101 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +12.5%

Huge Thanks to mikesgroove for this sweet treat.

A: Pours a copper hue with a nice tan foamy head. The retention is low with no lace noted.

S: Wonderful aromas only to be outdone by Cigar City and Southern Tier. Tons of spice with bold notes of ginger and cinnamon. Light pumpkin aromas hang in the back.

T: Wow this is a top tier pumpkin brew. Tons of sugary sweetness up front. Hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. Light tones of pumpkin show through. I really like this one. It may be the sweetest of all the pumpkin beers though. If you hate sweet you will not like it, if you love it like I do, this is a winner.

M: Medium in body, smooth with good carbonation.

D: Very, I could pound a sixer of these. My third favorite pumpkin brew, its some tasty shit. Pure dessert in a bottle. (803 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Big thanks to Monkeyknife for this in a trade.

Pours a coppery orange with a finger or so of creamy off-white head. Retains around the edges with some thin wisps in the center, that leaves a nice looking cascade of lacing that slides down the sides of the glass. The aroma is Wow! Holy spices! Cinnamon, clove, allspice, and brown sugar just dominate but I'm also picking up some underlying hints of pumpkin, citrus tang, and additional sweet notes. This is definitely one of THEE most assertive aromas that I've ever smelled on a pumpkin beer.

The taste is a sticky mix of spices, citric fruity tang, and sweet pumpkin meat. The brown sugar notes in this really make the profile, adding a sense of sugary sweetness to the mix. Finishes spicy and tangy on the palette. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a creamy carbonation that possesses a bit of an occasional prickle at times which accentuates the spicy notes. I also can't believe that this beer is 8%, as the creaminess of the carbonation really does a lot to alleviate the body from having a lot of beef to it that an ABV that high would usually bring along.

Well colored me impressed, as I believe that this may well be the most robust and possibly best Pumpkin Ale that I've ever had out of the bottle. Really strong stuff here that I wish I had some more of. (1,357 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

GLASS: Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Golden amber tinted copper color with a slight haze. Good, full head of foam. Minimal retention and lacing.

Cinnamon and nutmeg mingle with allspice and a slight scent of pumpkin. Good malty notes here.

This one's a keeper!
Very nice pumpkin flavor mixes with the cinnamon and nutmeg. Good malty backbone. Sweet, yet spicey. Good balance.

Nice and creamy mouthfeel. Good medium body, like this style should be, IMO. Great carbonation level, almost perfect.

Very drinkable. I'd love to have access to this on a regular basis. (582 characters)

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale from The Schlafly Tap Room