Schlafly Pumpkin Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 09-16-2006

Our Pumpkin Ale blends the spices of the harvest with full-bodied sweetness for a beer that tastes like pumpkin pie. Pounds of pumpkin form a malty foundation that supports the fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.

While pumpkin beers were produced in the early days of the American colonies, they were different from the pumpkin beers we know today. Colonists used pumpkin and squash as the fermenting medium, since malted barley was scarce. Once malt became more readily available, it replaced these alternatives to grain. In the 1990’s, American craft brewers reintroduced the style to the delight of pumpkin beer drinkers.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a shaker pint. Ok.. so you are not a fan of pumpkin ale, but can be objective... but hey we are a Schlafly fan so I gotta try this.

Quite dark for a pumpkin ale, deep red orange almost bronze and very clear. Three to four finger tall head, slightly orange with a yellowish tan like tinge to it, and a creamy consistency. Some retention but does manage to fall somewhat quickly.

Nose is classic spicing pumpkin, but more of a spritzy zesty angle. Very hot cloves, and mild subdued sweetness. Slightly vegetative, but there's a hint possibly of some caramel hiding here which makes for some unique qualities.

Palate is quite interesting. Sweetness is very mellowed down, with lots of bready qualities and nutmeg. Doughy and dense with a very nice thick but not distracting syrupy body. Spicy cinnamon finish and tasting caramel deep malts. Playful carbonation that tickles the palate. Kind of like a playful mellow pumpkin winter warmer.

Considering I am not a fan of this style, this hits the right notes without being overly sweet like most pumpkin ales. Another hit in the Schlafly collection.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%

4.14/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Original on tap, re-review bottle dated 08/06/2014:
Pours auburn with no head retention (some head retention in bottle pour). Midway through drink, it looked more like a red wine or bourbon. The smell has berry and plum notes along with the pumpkin spice notes. On re-review, I have to add that the beer had a very nice pumpkin pie spice balance. I am not sure I get plum, but I do get some raisin, so not too different.

My first sips were enjoyable, even though the fruitiness noted in the nose was just as present in the taste. The fall spiciness was nice, pretty balanced without being over the top. There are some hints of dark fruit, and a light tartness in the end - almost like a squeeze of lemon was added to the grander taste for an accent.

Original:
As I sipped it more, it seemed to lose its effervescence and tasted more like it looked, like a fortified wine. Because it's "beeriness" faded, I rated it down. My initial tastes had me rating it about .5 higher. Maybe I had a glass from a bad keg. I will have to mark this for a re-try.

Re-review:
I might not have had the best available beer when I originally reviewed this. On my re-review, I am getting all of the good from the original review, and almost none of the bad. The beer is perhaps a little on the light side, but I think the pumpkin spice is perfectly balanced against a background of a familiar beer taste (dark fruit tones), with a light amount of carbonation, but definitely not the flatness I got in the first review. I actually bumped up my review over .5 on the re-review.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz bottle, bottle is dated 8/14/2013 (I assume this is bottling date. If this is the enjoy by date, the whole pumpkin-beers-in-the-summer angst just got even more ridiculous). Poured into an unlabeled snifter today, 10/7/2013.

Pours a dark brown-amber body, somewhat opaque and when illuminated, it becomes more of a dark burnt orange colour. Comes with a nice white head, around 1cm that looks substantial and slowly dissipates into a thick film and reasonably sized collar. Lacing comes up as the beer disappears, but slowly drops back into the collar. We got a great looking pumpkin beer here.

Smells like friggin' pumpkin pie mix. Tons of pumpkin spices balanced out by a nice bready malt backbone that reminds me of sweet potatoes. There's definitely nutmeg mixed with some cinnamon. Maybe some molasses or brown sugar-like sweetness on top of the bready malts. Phew!

Tastes just like pumpkin pie as well. Fall spices being some mixture of cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon are a bit less dominant throughout than in the nose, whereas the sweet potato-like bready malts shine a bit more. The spices do come back with a vengeance on the backend, but there is a mild bit of earthy bitterness that balances it out. Delicious.

Medium bodied, smooth, well-carbonated. Slight alcohol burn. Dessert-like beer that is sticky on the lips and palate.

Lip-smackingly good. One of the few pumpkin beers I've really enjoyed this year. This is up there with Good Gourd in terms of how much this smells and tastes like pumpkin pie. The smell is really something on this one. Highly recommend if you are interested in pumpkin beers and haven't tried this one yet.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

A-orange amber color with a decent cream colored head and little lacing

S-toasted malt, pumpkin, cinnamon, hint of brown sugar

T-pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, toasted malt, mild bitterness in the finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-solid pumpkin beer, but lacks depth of flavor and complexity of some others

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

The best pumpkin beer I have had....Hands Down. I Will admit I have only had a few different pumpkin beers some good some not so good. But I recommend this pumpkin brew for anyone who has not tried one as well as Veteran pumpkin boozers. Pick this up n stash it for later in the year.

Schlafly Pumpkin Ale from The Schlafly Tap Room