Schlafly No. 15 - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: maxpower on 11-02-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly No. 15 Alström Bros

Swandog, Jan 16, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

crbnfbr, Oct 18, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

Appearance - Tannish brown with a thick, forthy head. Cloudy.

Smell - A beautiful hefe/wit bouquet of aromas. Complex, balanced nose, no harsh or competing aromas .... very nice.

Taste - Is it a bavarian hefe or belgium wit - who cares! Best of both worlds. Complimenting notes of banana, coriander.

Mouthfeel - Silky smooth with nice body.

Drinkability - Awesome beer! No kidding. A beer for a change of pace, special occasion or for an extended session - a must.

CJStout, Mar 09, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

On tap at the tap room. I'm a sucker for beers that have the word "Limited" written near their names, especially when I'm traveling. It's like I figure if I'm never going to be somewhere again I might as well go balls out and try the rarest stuff they got. And as I was just starting to make my way through Schlafly's massive beer selection and didn't yet wish to scorch my pallet with the reserve IPA or imperial stout, I decided to give this a try.

Big, frothy pour in a big tall weizen glass. Classy. Orange brown with hues blending into one another in the middle yet distinct on either end, like a melting bomb pop. Very nice fluffy head that doesn't go away.

Smells like a really firm, well balance weizen. There are little chocolatey hints that kind of remind me of a weizenbock but overall it's much closer to a weizen because its lack of any alcohol burn. The spices are firm: bananas, cloves, white pepper. There's even a very nice hint of cinnamon.

Goodness! Highly unique but still perfectly balanced and super drinkable. Full spice of a big, fruity hefe--banana, white pepper, pineapple juice. But the kicker is that the back end is filled up with delicious cinnamon and all spice and strong nodes of pumpkin! It's like you're drinking a pie.

What's up with people giving this beer average reviews because of its timidity? Since when does a beer have to rip a hole in your tongue for it to be considered world class? This is like Spotted Cow on crack. A brewer took a huge risk and it paid off in spades. Bravo.

mynie, Jun 30, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance has a cloudy golden brown color so thick that i can't see thru the glass. Smells very aromatic with the yeast with a very sweet fruit smell to your nose. Tastes sweet, malty, biscuity, yeasty....then very sweet again with a little sour aftertaste. Good mouthfeel with a nice well balanced flavor not much carbonation. This is excellent, i would drink this again.

Frothboss, Nov 06, 2010

johnpdennis, Oct 18, 2012

Reaper16, Jan 02, 2012

jharris0624, May 12, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +16%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a chalice at 40 degrees. Thanks to Vancer for sending this one my way!

A - Pours a beautiful hazy orange with a fluffy off-white head that leaves nice lacing the whole way down; medium carbonation that lasted equally as long. Appears to be on the thicker side.

S - Bananas & cloves meet the wheat aroma head-on...other spices lingered in the background for an extremely inviting first impression.

T - Wheat flavors come rushing out, and are quickly met by the banana & clove tones. Spicy malt also makes its presence known as everything works so well together. I'm having a difficult time putting my thoughts into words right now...probably because this is the first wheat beer I've sampled in a season otherwise dominated by darker, heavier brews. All the typical flavors you'd want in a great wheat beer (from the lemon zest & bananas to the cloves & coriander) resting atop a malty-wheat backbone makes this an excellent session beer.

M - Thicker body with strong carbonation and a lingering spicy aftertaste.

D - The taste review says it all...amazing brew.

JohnnyM2002, Mar 10, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +15.2%

this is one of my favorite schlafly beers
all of my glasses are dirty so agitating the bottle.
smells: so fruity, lots of bananas in there, and others i cant pick out, maybe like peach? like a fruit platter, honestly.
tastes like: sooo fruity, and spicy on the finish. thick with malt about half way down
mouthfeel: the after taste is so good and sits for a while. this goes down smooth and easy with so much flavour.
drinkability: i would drink this every day of the year if i was somehow related to the schlafly's. she's a taste-boy

sluhdrum07, Mar 30, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

Thanks to xmarcnolanx for this extra.

Pours a murky brown/amber. Decent fluffy head dissipates fast. Nose is of dark wheats and spice. At first taste the wheats come out but through the middle is banana with citrus spice. clove is present here. lingering aftertaste of slight banana taffy. Good crisp clean mouthfeel but nothing to write home about. Drinkability is very good. A great wheat offering from schlafly.

AKBelgianBeast, Jan 05, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

This one sat in my fridge for a while. What's a No. 15 type of Ale anyway? When I finally got around to drinking it, I was thinking "Amber Ale" (which I'm still developing a taste for). When I finished drinking it, I was thinking - "buy more of this bad boy." I later learned that this was a supposed to be an American version of Dunkel Weizen, but it didn't remind me at all of Boulevard's Lunar Ale, or the few other Dunel Weizen's I've tried. I was surprised to smell a little bit of cinnamon in this one, and even more surprised to taste it as well. We're not talking about the strong taste of cinnamon as in Schlafly's (very enjoyable) Christmas Ale, but there was a definite hint of it.
Drinkability - this one vanished very quickly. While the Cinnamon taste in the Christmas Ale can be a bit on the strong side, and possibly keep me from wanting to drink more than 1 or 2 in a night, I could put several of these No. 15s away pretty easily. As far as Missouri breweries go, Boulevard is #1 hands down. But Schlafly is making a strong case for the #2 position, and they offer some very enjoyable brews to back up this claim. I would consider this one of the jewels on their crown.

Kahlerbock, Feb 01, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

Had on tap at the Taproom.

I'd heard good things about it, but not much of a description and the name doesn't really give away what you're walking in to, so I had no expectations about this drink.

Appearance: Kind of a thin head, maybe about a finger or two, which faded to a thin coating for the rest of the drink. It laced well, though, and had a rich color around a deep reddish tint.

Smell: A wheat background and fruity.

Taste: Very very sweet. The canvas was wheat, but there was a fruitiness I had a hard time placing. After having a roundtable consensus with my friends and family we agreed it was something like pears or cinamon apples, but the consensus among the other reviewers here seems to be apricot which I would wholly believe. Very tasty, and it didn't take much for me to polish the whole thing off. If you're more of a fan of bitters, you might not find much satisfaction here, as the hops were very downplayed in favor of the fruits working around.

Mouthfeel: It was smooth, felt kind of medium, but was neither very carbonated, nor was it terribly creamy. Honestly, the flavor of the drink was king over all the other traits one typically looks at in a beer.

Drinkability: I'd rate this as high. I, and everyone trying the beer with me, held it in high regard. This is something I could see easily becoming a staple in my fridge for when I'm just relaxing, though with the strong sweetness to it, it would be easy to become over-exposed if this were the only thing you were drinking.

TheMightyGUEST, Feb 02, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top, typical Schlafly label w/nice ditty about the beer, clearly marked bottled on date

Appearance: Hazy burnt orange brew with fairly lively carbonation and a fluffy head of dark ivory; good retention here

Smell: Wow. Not at all what I was expecting. Unlike the typical American Dark Wheat, this is remarkably fruity and spicy...cotton candy, bubblegum, fruit, and just a hint of funk actually...awesome, but not at all expected.

Taste: Again, quite unexpected. This is almost Saison-like, without the funk. BIG bubblebum and cotton candy flavors, hint of banana, just a hint of sweet clove. Hops aren't really noticed, though this is nicely balanced. Ends just a bit tart and fruity. As it warms, this brew mellows out a bit and the candy/bubblegum recedes a bit, as the banana flavors emerge more clearly.

Mouthfeel: Light and refreshing

Drinkability: Huge

Conclusion: Consider. Me. Surprised. Great beer from Schlafly; I wish I woulda tried this sooner.

BedetheVenerable, Jul 14, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured a really nice looking copper color, leaning more towards a red. Very nice looking in the glass, and maybe I didn't pour it aggressively enough, but only got a small white head.

Main thing I smelled was banana. The overall character to me was the smell of a fresh made banana cream pie.

The first sip was nice and fruity to me. Not overly done, just enough to give it flavor without overdoing it. As I sipped more, the wheat taste became more evident, as well as the hops. Fruit/wheat are the dominant tastes here, with just enough hop to balance it out and becoming too sweet. A very nice balance of flavors going on, making for a pleasant mix.

Not a thick beer by and stretch, but enough going on to make it nice. Nothing lingers too long, and the carbonation isn't overly done.

This is one of the more drinkable beers I've had. Such a nice mix of flavors that I wouldn't soon tire of it. The moderate alcohol content helps as well. Glad I took a chance on this one, I would not hesitate to try this one again.

Vixie, May 28, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Boy was this a surprise. From all the hops on the label I was expecting a American IPA or APA, but I pour the beer and as I raise my Sam Adams glass to my lips, I smell - wheat! German wheat. What?! I go back to the bottle and yeah, it advertises itself as a wheat beer. Who knew?

Hop 15 is absolutely a fine beer. It's orange and hazy, with a fat head, and the nose is brimming with clean German wheat notes - banana, clove, lemon, and sweet toasted malt. There's something else too, American hops, which lend this a nice citrus aroma as well.

Tastes quite good, think a fine German Hefe with just a little more malt and some Cascade (I assume) hops. It's clean, lemony, malty, wheaty and all around very well balanced. Refreshing and spicy.

Mouthfeel is near perfect, big carbonation puffs the beer up in my mouth and the crisp, lemony citrus brew cleanses my palate.
THIS is how you American-ize a beer.

Superbly drinkable, Hop 15 makes me quite sad I have only one bottle left in my cooler. Thanks xmarcnolanx for the trade!

kkipple, Feb 28, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy light amber color with a very nice head that sticks and leaves copious lace behind

Smell: Spicy clove dominates the fruits which include an intriguing combination of banana and pineapple

Taste: Opens with the fruit - banana and pineapple - that builds in yeasty tartness by mid-palate, with some peppery clove joining the fray as well; after the swallow, the wheat bready flavors become more prominant

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate, but creamy, carbonation

Drinkability: After my disappointment with their Hefeweizen (which was really an American Wheat), the brewery has redeemed itself with this intruiging American take on a hefe; call it an American Dark Wheat if you will - I call it an achievement

Thanks, xmarcnolanx, for the opportunity

brentk56, Mar 15, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

I’ve had this fresh on tap, thought it was superb, now I’m reviewing at home with a fresh bottle (November 30)

Poured an amber oak, topped by a thick layer of tan heading. Bottom of the bottle had a nice ring of yeast, which were swirled and added, turning the pour hazy brown.

Sharp spices,fruits, and bubblegum in the aroma, and then the quaff: man, what a meaty-wheat backbone of malt. I luv this stuff, and for a two-fer, the wife and daughter thought it top notch also. A real session drinker for all. Don’t you dare put any fruit in this stand-alone excellent brew.

Wow, this should come around yearly, it will be dearly missed after it’s gone. BUMMER!

Vancer, Dec 30, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

From the TapRoom served with a steak sandwitch and fries just before the Sunday night BJCP class. A noticable haze within the Dunkle style color and a wonderful head with size and retention you want in this style.

A welcoming aroma from the wheat and yeast with little on no spices - the clove seems naturally produced and dominates the bananna. Medium body - perhaps a little more than the guides but much to my liking. Some moderate sweetness that only seems out of place if you drink it so slow as let it lose most of its moderate carbonation. With warming offers some dark fruit flavors.

Congratulations to Tom, Steve, and all the Schlafly crew.

karst, Nov 20, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours amber red into the now traditional tulip tasting glass.

A: Puffy head, off white, lasting.

S: Cloves, bannana, normal for a German Wheat. Very pronounced clove..Some fruits. Inviting as hell.

T: Clove, citrus, bannana bread. Very nice mix.
Actually more going on that you would think.

M: Crisp. Clean finish, making you want more.

D: See above! I have had this several times, but, last night, I noticed I have never reviewed this. It is a staple in my fridge, year-round. It provides a nice change in winter, from the winter ales & Doppels I usually keep around. Summertime, it is nice & refreshing.

KI9A, Mar 23, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

Pour - pours a murky brownish, reddish, orangish, auburnish color with a thin white head. Rather opaque but yet also quite appealing.

Aroma - sort of spicy, cinnamon, nutmeg and some sour malt. Has some doppelbock aromas, that of dark fruit and dark bread.

Taste - sweet, spicy and quite tasty actually. This beer really impresses me with its subtlety and yet its complexity at the same time. Lots of flavors going on here. You've got some spiciness (nutmeg, thyme, cinnamon, cloves) as well as some dark malt flavors and something akin to Belgian-style dubbel. Quite unique and delicious. Wow.

Overall - sort of amazed by how much is going on with a beer that weighs in at 6%. Tons of spice, sweetness and complexity for such a rather simple beer. I really dig it.

Would I buy more of it? - I think I would and this would definitely be a beer that I'd make other people try just to get their reaction to it.

indiapaleale, Mar 06, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

This nice amber wheat ale brings a frothy appearance (deep head) and no lace.

Superb and fragrant aroma - cinnamon, banana, and clove. Delectable!

The first taste impression is a well-balanced maltiness, with hints of banana and spicy clove.

Medium-bodied, this wonderful beer isn't flashy or showy, but it is a flavorful wheat beer, and one of Schlafly's finest. Eminently enjoyable and steady.

secondtooth, Feb 17, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a cloudy amber color. Decent head (1/4 inch) with slight retention and some lacing. Smells of fruit with some sweet malt. Fits the style quite nicely. The fruit and spice is upfront and very pleasing. The sweet malt complements the fruit and gives a nice smooth aftertaste. The slight amount of hops taste dries the palate which is perfect for enjoying the next sip! Carbonation is a bit lower than I would have thought, but that is the least of my worries. Overall, a really good beer that is full-bodied and smooth. Very easy to drink and I would recommend.

Tone, Dec 19, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours deep golden color with white 3 finger head. Smell is very much like a Belgian like a Dubbell or something. Taste is the same, it tastes like a belgian beer with the banana flavors fr the yeast. Very good tase about it though. Mouthfeel is medium and is pretty smooth.

Overall not what I expected from reading the bottle, but I was pleasently suprised, this is a very good beer, and would definatley pick up again...if only it were available in my area.

webbcreative, Jul 07, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

I didn't know what to expect with this beer. I hadn't read about it and only bought a 6-pack from The Taproom on the suggestion of a complete stranger. I may need to talk to strangers more often.

It poured amber with a tan, almost greenish head that came up from the bottom of the glass in small swirls, something I had never seen before. The smell of Belgium was in the air, with bananas and cloves. Very reminiscent of stronger Trappist beers.

But the taste was light and fruity on the finish. I only wish it finished a bit more clean, but I could definitely drink quite a bit of this beer.

nightcrawler, Jul 20, 2009