Schlafly Irish-Style Extra Stout - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Vancer on 02-07-2007

Our Irish-Style Extra Stout amplifies the traditional drier versions from Ireland for a bolder, black brew. The addition of both roasted barley and Dark Crystal malted barley give Extra Stout undertones of chocolate, molasses and dried fruit. The beer is generously hopped with East Kent Goldings to balance the sweetness from the malted barley.

Extra Stout is a descendent of the British and Irish porters of the 18th Century. These strong porters eventually became known as strong stout, then Foreign Stout or Extra Stout, depending on origin. Extra Stouts were exported world-wide, gaining popularity in the West Indies, Africa and parts of Asia.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly Irish-Style Extra Stout Alström Bros
4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

Okay, here's the thing: I like Guinness. I really do. I just don't love Guinness. If it's what's available and nothing else of note is, I'll pick it up - if not, I probably won't. When I was 21 - in 1990 - I was willing to drive halfway across the state for it but now that I'm older and I've had so much quality beer, it seems a bit bland.

This beer reminds me what it was like to be 21 again. It's like everything I thought Guinness was then, but doubled to match my older, more cynical palate.

Nice, clean stout appearance: black body, thick brown head. fine lacing. Smell is light toasted, sweet malt. Like Guinness, but stronger.

Taste: Sweet but not cloying, tasty finish to malt, late bitterness. Again, just like a stronger Guinness. Silky, ultra-drinkable mouthfeel. Smooth drinking. Easy to get into trouble with this, it's so smooth and easy, despite the 8% ABV.

I've enjoyed every Schlafly product I've ever had - the Pale Ale is perhaps my favorite APA. This, however, is a revelation. All the solidity of an Imperial Stout whilst maintaining the mouthfeel, body, and character of a dry Irish.

Thank you, Schlafly. (1,137 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +20.8%

Happy St. Patrick's Day 2009!

I enjoyed this fine stout from a Schlafly nonic.

A: Blackish-brown opaque brew with a cappucino colored head. When poured right, it leaves a nice head with even a little lacing.

S: Coffee, vanilla, roasted nuts, chocolate. sweet and inviting every next drink.

T: delicious swirling of the chocolate and coffee flavors with a roasted malt background, fades into vanilla and hazelnut.

M: an oily, full-bodied beer. leaves a bitterness from the large amount of hops used.

Overall, this is my favorite Irish style stout. I've had Guiness and Murphy's, and this beer is muuuuchh better. Its easy to drink and suprisingly refresing for a beer that boasts 8 percent abv. I woke up this St. Patricks day with a craving for an easy to drink stout with alot of flavor(and alcohol). Glad to let you know I found it. (842 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +20%

A - Tar black and completely opaque with a reddish brown head. Retention is ok, but the head reduces to a thin cap within a few minutes.

S - Burnt rubber, espresso, dark chocolate, and heavy chocolate whipped mousse.

T - Bitter dark cooking chocolate and sweeter dark chocolate like you might taste in a high end candy bar (Symphony or Toblerone). Double chocolate chip cookies with nuts.

M - Medium bodied with fairly high levels of carbonation and a dry roasted coffee finish.

D - Outstanding. I'm really, really impressed with this stout. One of the most drinkable of it's style that I've ever encountered. (614 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +19.2%

I came across this at Lukas Liquor in St. Louis and was glad I did - it ended up going perfectly with a St. Patrick's Day feast. This stout looked perfect in a pint glass. What surprised me most was the creaminess and sweetness that it had. I was expecting it to have a much more dry feeling to it but was pleasantly surprised at how rich it was. I highly reccommend this brew to anyone! (387 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +18.5%

Jet black body shows only a little light when held up to the light. Milk chocolate colored head starts at about an inch but quickly fades to just a skim. Nose is a spicey super zesty shock to the senses. The presence of grain alchol lets you know this is no 5% brew. Wow, as this hits the mouth you get a creamy coffee and chocolate mix. Smooth and well balanced darkness includes notes of anise, molases and chicory. Coffee feel stays on the mouth and is welcome by me. Lovely and very drinkable. I should have bought a case. (526 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +17.5%

Drinking this one right now. Pours a hearty black with some brown hues around the edges. Thin mocha head fades quickly but leaves nice lacing. Smells like roasted coffee, chocolate, caramel malt and a touch of hops. Tastes just like it smells. Very smooth, just a touch overcarbed. Covers the alcohol well, could drink a bunch. (327 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance: Dark as night, thick as motor oil. Light cannot pass through this beer. Even the slight head that accumulates at the top is a dark brown (think brown sugar).

Smell: AMAZING

Taste: Like mana from Heaven, like pure chocolate with coffee overtones. If you like stouts, if you like porters, if you like coffee, then you will marry this beer

Mouthful: its filling, not very much carbonation at all, surprisingly for the thickness of the beer it goes down clean, mostly an aftertaste of coffee

Drinkability: This is the only area that I scored the beer lower on, and really its not the beers fault. A stout this good is not meant for heavy consumption, only slow drinking. (683 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +17.2%

I am very impressed with this offering from Schlafly. When poured it looks like any other good stout, and the nose is the same. The taste is where this beer shines. Very good, with roasted bitterness balanced by just a little caramel sweetness. Excellent body, and an extremely clean finish. Probably the best finish of any stout I've ever tasted. I could drink this beer all day, and at 8% that could be dangerous. Excellent work from the folks at Schlafly. (458 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at the brewery/tap room and a new batch had just been released on Feb 2, 2007. Served in a snifter - it had an excellent aroma and good complex flavor combining smooth roast and sweet malts. It was very drinkable - the 8% ABV was very well hidden. Blackish-red in color and only a small, creamy tan head which was not long-lasting compared to other Irish stouts. (380 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass the liquid is a great looking dark brown, with very good carbonation. The head is nice, 2 plus fingers, tan and leaves some lace.

The smell is great a nice roasty toasty aroma. It begs you to drink.

The taste is very very good, Could be this night but this brew delivers and really hit the spot. The dark roasty malty is full of great flavor, coffee notes chocolate, toasted marshmallows. Yes, thats right, marshmallows. Even though this is a dry stout is dry it has a very welcome and pleasing sweet note.

The mouthfeel is awesome, Great full body much better then the average, Macro Irish stout. It is also smooth and creamy with just the right carbonation.

The drinkability is great, I wish I had many more. Huge thanks to JPM30 for this brew and one other I will try to hold on to for a while.

Prosit und Zum Wohl, MK (879 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%

bottled 12/30/10

pours the deepest darkest brown almost black with a 1+ finger tan head that left some spotted lacing

smells of dark fruit chocolate and hops

taste - wow this is by far the best exp. stout and better then most RIS - rich malts chocolate caramel nutty dark fruit a tiny bit of roast with a perfect amount of hop bitterness

mouthfeel is medium to full (which is rare with this style) good carb that still tickles the tongue and is very smooth and creamy

drinkability off the charts - this is the stout that you can knock back a few even at 8% and still get the rich full complex taste that lots of impy stout bring at well over 10+% (651 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%

Im not a stout lover but this beer was surprisingly good. looks stronger than it is. Dark color and when I poored it into my cold mug it had a big head of foam so I had to wait til the foam went down a little. It was worth the wait. Mouthful was delicious. (256 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Vancer for this EXTRA treat in our trade.

A - Beer is pitch black opaque in color, deep brown around the edges when held to light. Head is creamy off-white and fades to a film, thicker around the edges. Minimal lacing.

S - Rich toasty malts with vanilla and cream and fresh bread dough.

T - Taste Milky and creamy at first with bitter citrus-y hops. Leads into dark raisin fruits and toasted malt & bitter coffee complexity with a bit of warming alcohol in the finish.

M - A very creamy mouthfeel on this one, with a perfect amount of carbonation.

D - Excellent tasting beer here with nice complexities and good alcohol. Mouthfeel is also very appealing and obviously works very well with this style. Thanks again to Vancer for this sweet, not-so-little stout. (788 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +12.4%

Just a shade away from pitch black. Completely opaque. Pours a tan head with some retention and lacing.

Tons of roasted almond, coffee, and dark chocolate aromas. Also, lots of dark fruits. Mild scotch character. Produces an extremely rich, intriguing, almost intoxicating aroma.

Flavors follow suit with aroma. Exceptional roasted character with flavors listed above. Balanced with a rich prune and raisin sweetness. Moderate bitterness of herbal hop lies in the background. Just a hint of bourbon as it warms. Extremely interesting and well rounded flavor profile.

Full-bodied and harty, almost thick enough to chew. Solid carbonation and smooth finish. A tad sticky on the lips, but its not a bad thing.

Overall, an exceptional stout. Never tried a foreign/export stout before but I would love to try more to compare against. Flavors and aromas were extraordinary and the balance was perfect. Probably the best brew I've tried yet from Schlafly. (954 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

I've been digging the last few Schlafly offerings I've tried so I picked up a single of this brew recently and I'm cracking it tonight...this was bottled on February 5th of this year...
This pours ALMOST black but not all the way, slowly forming an inch thick mocha head... Looks very tasty in the pint glass..

Nice rich roasted aromas mixed with a surprisingly pungent hoppiness.. Hmmm... I wasn't expecting that and its got me excited to try this... Smells a lot like Black Sun Stout to me..

This is one smooth mother... I could see myself face first at a bar after pounding these 8% bad boys all night... The alcohol is nowhere to be found in this. All I'm getting is a rich creamy roasted maltiness laced with a mocha-like chocolate and coffee background... Right at the end, the hops pop up with a bittering kick that gives this one a nice unusual punch.. Very well crafted brew here..

Well, I've decided that I'm going back for this one... Its a very drinkable export with no trace of booziness at all, just a real treat... I liked it a lot... (1,053 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured this one in a couple of different glasses and was surprised that it tasted best in a Chimay goblet. Pours black unless held up to light with a moderate sized brown tinted head. Smell is roasty with a hint of hops. The taste was wonderful. Roasted chocolate and coffee are apparent up front. The finish is spicy and slightly hoppy. The spice at the end reminded me a little of the spiciness in Chimay Blue. Mouthfeel is oily and cloying. This Stout is moderatelty carbonated. Drinkability is not very high. It is so rich, that after about four it gets to be a little much. My favorite stout yet, but I've never had a foreign export style stout before. I wish they were more available. (690 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a chalice at around 45 degress. Thanks to Vancer for sending this one my way!!

A - Color starts as a murky dark-brown, but settles to a rich black with a caramel-brown, 2-inch head.

S - Roasted aroma of coffee, cocoa, and smoked earth tones.

T - Roasted malt, bringing out tones of dark-roast coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, and bready grains. More smoked character than I expected. Solid stout.

M - Creamy, medium body with a smooth finish.

D - Alcohol went unnoticed...I didn't even realize it was 8.0% until I started my review. Needless to say, that it the only thing that would keep me from drinking more than a few in one sitting. Excellent stout - this is exactly what I think an Irish Stout should be like. (770 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +10.6%

Enjoyed on Snake Saturday while stuffing my face with my wife's corn beef and cabbage. Mmmm!

12 oz bottle poured into a pub glass. Interesting little trick here. It starts off with a 1/4 inch head after the pour is completed, and then a few seconds later it slowly grows to a full two and a half fingers width. Color is a dark ruby red with a fair amount of clarity. I would generally expect a little more darkness in a stout.

Smell has a sweet charred grain a bit woody, with a bit of sweet berry. Taste is quite charred wood, vanilla, cocoa and a hint of coffee.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied like a dry stout. Mild and dry carbonation. The alcohol is almost completely masked and goes down very smoothly.

I'm not sure it is worth the extra $$ that this is charged for as a seasonal, $9.99 for a six pack. This is still very good though. If I have any left over to cellar after tonight, it will be interesting to see what happens. (942 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

A; Dark as usual for a stout. The head is what had me. I love it when a stout has a nice mocha colored head and this one was big.

S: Complex for sure, but major malt and caramel come through.

T: Outstanding. Little bit of alcohol but this is balanced perfectly with the sweetness. Rich and complex, dark and burnt flavors.

M: Chewy for shure. heavy on the palate but I love this.

D: Despite the ABV, I could have quite a few of these. The complex flavors and sweetness are perfectly balanced with the alcohol to create a stout I will look for next winter. (559 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to rysberg01 for this beer. I'm really impresed with this offering. To my taste, this is truly an nice example of an export stout, rather than than an extra stout, and the abv supports it. Very akin toa caribbean stout, like those found there from Guiness and Ceres.This style is a little highr in alcohol, an a bit sweeter than an Irish dry stout. This stout well represents the style. Pours a dark brown with an okay head that settles to a ring. Smells a little roasty, a little sweet, a little nutty, almost salty as well. The taste is also somewhat nutty, creamy, and only somewhat roasty. Some vanilla on the finish. The mouthfeel is unbelievably creamy, and it is a real creaminess instead of tricks with widgets introducing nitrogen. Smooth and delicious and easy to drink. (787 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

At the time of this review, this is the #11 Foreigh / Export Stout on the best of lists on beeradvocate.com.

Beer poured into a Russian River -tion glass. Beer is black / dark brown with a good head, moderate carbonation, some lacing.

Aroma is sweet and has a mild chocolate notes in the nose.

The beer is medium bodied, sweet up front with a thin and mildly bitter finish. The midpalate has this great milk chocolate flavor that is very interesting. I really enjoyed this little stout. Sweeter than I expected but I guess that's what makes it a FES. I'd have it again. (572 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Certainly not a dry stout. Here goes:

A: Very good. Slow-to-build head, plenty of lacing. Beer pours very black with a slight red hue.

S: Very sweet-smelling. Mixture of chocolate, charred/burnt flavorings and lots of dark fruit. Good mixture of chocolate and dark fruit. Most stouts are one or the other, but this one seems to have both.

T: Lots of chocolate and burnt coffee followed by lots od figs, raisins, and plum. Significant dark fruit aftertaste. Incredibly complex.

F: Thick and full-bodied. Great.

O: An excellent stout. Quite complex. Combines charred and roasted flavors with lots of dark fruit at the back of the palate. (656 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from the bottle into a imperial pint

A-Black as night with a near redish tint around the head. Head is fluffy but not to thick but leaves a thick lace down the glass

S-Notes of dark black malt with some sweeter chocolate and brown sugar.

T-Flavors of burnt toast and roasted malt. Very toasty. Fruity flavors in the background almost like bannana. Very light coffee note as well, there is a ton going on in the flavor of this beer, you almost taste something new everytime you take a drink.

M&D-Very smooth silky mouthfeel easy to drink with a heavy to medium heavy body. Not sure I could drink alot of them in a session but this is an incredible offering from schafly. (680 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours coffee dark, thick long lasting caramel colored head. Amazing flavor, low to no bitterness. Very good and amazing beer. I personally prefer this offer the Guinness extra stout. (182 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very nice dark black color with some nice tan initial head, slight lacing as it goes down. Deep scent, very dark and inviting, strong burnt grains and slight coffee. Excellent taste, deep, dark, and thick; nice burnt grains, slight coffee flavor, excellent hint of chocolate and toffee. It goes down very well for a higher ABV stout, slightly creamy and thick. Excellent brew. (384 characters)

Schlafly Irish-Style Extra Stout from The Schlafly Tap Room