Schlafly Irish-Style Extra Stout - The Schlafly Tap Room

good

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.00% ABV

Our Irish-Style Extra Stout amplifies the traditional drier versions from Ireland for a bolder, black brew. The addition of both roasted barley and Dark Crystal malted barley give Extra Stout undertones of chocolate, molasses and dried fruit. The beer is generously hopped with East Kent Goldings to balance the sweetness from the malted barley.

Extra Stout is a descendent of the British and Irish porters of the 18th Century. These strong porters eventually became known as strong stout, then Foreign Stout or Extra Stout, depending on origin. Extra Stouts were exported world-wide, gaining popularity in the West Indies, Africa and parts of Asia.

(Beer added by: Vancer on 02-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly Irish-Style Extra Stout Alström Bros

pheelingIt, Apr 03, 2013

Bartinator, Mar 30, 2013
3.45/5  rDev -12%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A good Irish style beer for St. Patty's Day!!

Reviewed from notes...

A: Deep brown, almost black in color with a 1 finger tan head. Moderate head retention, minimal lacing.

S: Wonderful, I'd say the aroma is the best thing about this beer. I got coffee, roasted malts, and toffee.

T: Roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and some toffee. After the smell I was expecting more in the taste department. It was all still there, just not with the same gusto.

M: Medium, good carbination. Lingers on the tongue.

O: Nothing spectacular here, but not bad by any means. I'd say it's an above average stout. I think that the aroma trumps the taste on this beer. If I'm drinking a stout, I'd rather have a Founders Breakfast Stout or a Bell's Special Double Cream Stout (of the stouts I can readily get around here), but this was certainly an enjoyable beer...especially on St. Patty's Day!

GO HAWKS!

DentistDave, Mar 17, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

Prager62, Mar 17, 2013

MSandahl23, Mar 17, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top with nice, simple label. Bottled with love the day after Christmas, 2012. Split with the wife into two small snifters as a 'dessert' after our St. Patrick's day dinner.

Appearance: Black brew with a nice medium-tan cap that shows pretty decent retention.

Smell: Dark fruits and alcohol, along with an ever-so-slightly smoky edge; hints of roast and burnt caramel as well.

Taste: There's certainly roasted barley here, but it stays in the background more than I was expecting. Dry roasted grains, really nice dark fruity and lightly boozy notes, and a solid, clean, and somewhat surprising hop bitterness and a touch of fruity, English hop flavor from the Golding and Pilgrim hops used. Maybe the slightest note of super-dark chocolate?

Mouthfeel: Less (and, surprisingly, I mean this in a good way) substantial than I'd expect for 8%...it works here.

Overall: In previous years, this beer always baffled me a bit, largely because my wife loves it so much. She's not one for heavy-handed (or bitter) stouts, generally, much preferring the slightly sweet, lesser-hopped English-style Russian Imperial Stouts than their American-style counterparts. We had this brew last year and I remember it having a strong molasses-like character, with higher roast levels and a bit more 'oomph'. It was good, but I could never quite tell if I really liked it or it was sort of 'meh'. I'm wondering if they changed up the recipe this year, whether I'm just drinking it much fresher than normal (we've drank this aged up to a year-plus before), or whether my palate has changed. Schlafly's website says this is meant to be a sort of bigger version of a traditional Irish Dry Stout, and that's exactly what it tastes like. It's smooth, not overly roasty, firmly bitter, and quite quaffable, even at 8% abv. It's really pretty darn tasty. With simple ingredients (Pale, crystal, and roasted barley malt, two English hop varieties, and London yeast) Schlafly has really crafted a delicious strong stout here, perfect for the changing of the seasons from winter to spring. Slainte

B+ 88 $9.99 a six-pack

NumberNone, Mar 02, 2013

Punisher, Feb 26, 2013
3.74/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into my tulip from a 12 oz bottle dated 1/9/13.

A-Pours a great dark dark black color with a nice 2 inch tan head on an aggressive pour. Not too think, but really nice looking. Very carbonated. Lots of floaties in this beer.

S-Roast, alcohol, dark malt, little coffee.

T-Bitter, bold flavors, dark malts, dark soda, bitter chocolate.

M-I really like the mouthfeel. I read some other reviews, were people talked about this beer being too thin. I thought it was just right for the style.

O-I pretty nice beer. Not my favorite, but I'm not so much into this style. Really glad I tried a six pack. Very unique. Definitely has the Schlafly taste.

Naters333, Feb 26, 2013