Schlafly Irish-Style Extra Stout - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Vancer on 02-07-2007

Our Irish-Style Extra Stout amplifies the traditional drier versions from Ireland for a bolder, black brew. The addition of both roasted barley and Dark Crystal malted barley give Extra Stout undertones of chocolate, molasses and dried fruit. The beer is generously hopped with East Kent Goldings to balance the sweetness from the malted barley.

Extra Stout is a descendent of the British and Irish porters of the 18th Century. These strong porters eventually became known as strong stout, then Foreign Stout or Extra Stout, depending on origin. Extra Stouts were exported world-wide, gaining popularity in the West Indies, Africa and parts of Asia.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly Irish-Style Extra Stout Alström Bros
4.37/5  rDev +10.9%

Enjoyed on Snake Saturday while stuffing my face with my wife's corn beef and cabbage. Mmmm!

12 oz bottle poured into a pub glass. Interesting little trick here. It starts off with a 1/4 inch head after the pour is completed, and then a few seconds later it slowly grows to a full two and a half fingers width. Color is a dark ruby red with a fair amount of clarity. I would generally expect a little more darkness in a stout.

Smell has a sweet charred grain a bit woody, with a bit of sweet berry. Taste is quite charred wood, vanilla, cocoa and a hint of coffee.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied like a dry stout. Mild and dry carbonation. The alcohol is almost completely masked and goes down very smoothly.

I'm not sure it is worth the extra $$ that this is charged for as a seasonal, $9.99 for a six pack. This is still very good though. If I have any left over to cellar after tonight, it will be interesting to see what happens.

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Pours a dark black with some brown and ruby around the edges. A two finger head forms and recedes fast, and it leaves no lace.
S: A very malt aroma. Sweet chocolate and lots of coffee. Not all that complex, but not bad at all.
T: OMM, plenty of roasted malt and sweet chocolate. Coffee that seems to dominate. Again, not very complex, but I like it a lot.
M/D: Feels good in the mouth. Rich and creamy like a stout should be. At 8% ABV, this drinks pretty smoothly. When I drank it, I did not know it was that high in alcohol content.

I enjoyed this beer. A good stout to seek out if in the St. Louis area.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

This beer was poured into an Imperial pint glass at 53° from a 12 ounce bottle. A 'Bottled With Love on' date was on the bottom of the label. One finger of tan head sat on top of the dark brown beer with tinges of red.

The beer was clean smelling with just a hint of sweet malt.

The taste was better thathe non descript bouquet I sensed. There was a smooth, slightly sweet malt taste with a candy like presence.

I enjoyed the aftertaste and the sensation that there was Belgian candy. A slight bitterness teased the sides of the tongue and made this a delight to quaff. Some alcohol was sensed the longer it stayed in the mouth.

There was some lacing as I consumed the beer but it was very minimal. I tried to get more out of the aroma but failed. Still this was enjoyable and I will take it easy and enjoy the rest of the sixer at a later date.

Pours a dark, dark brown with a creamy 1 finger tan head.

The smell isn't as strong as I expected but does have a malty aroma with a strong toffee scent dominating.

The taste was roasted malts with some chocolate and coffee flavor and some nice smokiness that I wasn't expecting but was pleased with nonetheless.

I have some of this that I cellared last year so I am anxious to see how it has cellared.

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

Don't see this style everyday, aside from the Guiness version or a few homebrewer's. The beer begins with a deep, dark brown color and promises a viscous texture. Good head formation and retention of the tan variety, showing fair lacing later. Aromas are sweetly malty with a firm follow-up of roasted grains. Not overly complex, but rich and clean with a light lactose twang in the nose. Flavors provide much more malt sweetness, but not to dwarf the roasted, charcoal malts. Hints of espresso and cocoa decorate the brew but never dominated. Hopped for bitterness, but no decernable flavoring. Leaving the bitterness and flavor from the roasted grains to give roundness and palatability. Decently weighted and creamy in the texture, albeit too sweet on the teeth. Finishes, still, sweet with a firm shadow of roasted malt. A really nice beer, but probably a bit too sweet (caramel) for the style. Appreciated, but it's no Guinness.

4.74/5  rDev +20.3%

A - Tar black and completely opaque with a reddish brown head. Retention is ok, but the head reduces to a thin cap within a few minutes.

S - Burnt rubber, espresso, dark chocolate, and heavy chocolate whipped mousse.

T - Bitter dark cooking chocolate and sweeter dark chocolate like you might taste in a high end candy bar (Symphony or Toblerone). Double chocolate chip cookies with nuts.

M - Medium bodied with fairly high levels of carbonation and a dry roasted coffee finish.

D - Outstanding. I'm really, really impressed with this stout. One of the most drinkable of it's style that I've ever encountered.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Dark brown with 1" tan head disolving into a thin layer. Nice lacing

Aromas of chocolate, candied fruit and dates. Nice smelling beer.

Chared wood up front with some alcohol coming through. Lots of character with a bitter-sweet chocolate at the finish that lingers.

Medium to full bodied, pretty smooth.

Good sipping beer with moderate alchohol 8%. I'm planning to throw some beef into this stuff and pop it on the grill, it's begging for the "barbie".

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

Clearly printed bottling date.

a: Very dark brown body. Light tan head, leaves some lacing.

s: Loads of roasted malt produces aromas of chocolate, coffee and dark fruit.

t: Roasted chocolate malt, coffee, sweet and creamy residual sugars, bitter chocolate in the finish along with a dash of hops. I also detect a slight vanilla bourbon character like you find in barrel aged beers.

m: Full body, smooth, creamy.

d: Don't have much experience with the style, but I know I like this beer. Big on flavor, big on booze, no run of the mill stout. Doesn't give away its alcohol content in the taste, but I can't help but notice the effects or am I just sleepy? Anyway, I think I prefer lion stout, but its still nice to have a good export stout brewed in my area, keep up the good work Schlafly.

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

Jet black body shows only a little light when held up to the light. Milk chocolate colored head starts at about an inch but quickly fades to just a skim. Nose is a spicey super zesty shock to the senses. The presence of grain alchol lets you know this is no 5% brew. Wow, as this hits the mouth you get a creamy coffee and chocolate mix. Smooth and well balanced darkness includes notes of anise, molases and chicory. Coffee feel stays on the mouth and is welcome by me. Lovely and very drinkable. I should have bought a case.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Acquired via trade from jhammerly, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of dark chocolate, roasted malt and a little dark fruit, with a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty and very sweet with flavors of dark chocolate, dark fruits and roasted coffee. There’s very little of a hops presence which prevents there from being a good balance. This is some balance, but not a lot to me. The after-taste is still very sweet.

M: Smooth with a little crispness, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky and a little dry.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, slightly filling, good kick, this is a decent beer to drink for a little while if you’re ok with the sweetness. It’s a good beer and I could drink a couple if these but after that I would look for something a little lighter.

3.61/5  rDev -8.4%

Thanks to jpm30 for this beer.

A: Pours a dark brown, but far from black. When held to the light, amber highlights become apparent in the thin parts of the glass. Beer came out of the bottle quite carbonated and settled down to ½ in camel colored bubbles.

S: Powdered cocoa, faint vanilla, hint of sour grapes and instant coffee.

T: Starts with minor sourness at the tip of the tongue which leads to basic cocoa flavors. This flavor really only last for a moment before a buttery caramel comes through mixed into the cocoa. Good dimensionality from the original intake. Buttery flavor transitions to a sem-rich chocolate frosty with the right amount of sugar balance vs bitter chocolate. Little bit of hop character with piney aspects right before the flavors subside. Finishes with a blend dried cocoa and burn brown sugar.

M: Medium body, fairly creamy mouthfeel.

D: Decent brew. Nothing ground breaking but tasty none the less. I have a feeling that the sour twang at the beginning of the beer wasn’t planned, but you never know. It wasn’t enough to really deter from the flavor.

3.62/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz brown bottle bottle with a bottled on date for freshness though I think this one could cellar without a problem.

A- Pours out a black colored liquid with slight hues of dark brown at the edges of the glass. Good two fingers of tan head subside to a thin bubbly lace.

S- Soft charcoal aroma with a faint alcohol and dark berry nose.

T&M- Slick and full bodied with a semi- crisp smoothness that rolls over the tongue. Dark chocolate, slight char and toasted grain with a modest hop bitterness. Alcohol is noticeable but still deceiving @ 8.0% abv, hints of black berries and currants come to mind. Finishes a little bitter sweet but more sweet from the residuals.

D- Not as refined as other Export Style Stouts, a bit rough and the roasted character is not as defined and in your face as I had expected. Still a good beer, no doubt about that ... I just think it misses the mark for the style a little bit.

3.09/5  rDev -21.6%

A- Dark, deep black with a slight red hue. Pleasant brown-tan head, sticks around a little while, but then goes away pretty completely with no lacing.

S- Almost undetectable scent. But what's there is an open, warm hoppy smell that belies the rather harsh taste.

T- Very bitter, on the tongue and back of the palate. Tastes burnt; harsh. A little nutty, with a very slight floral note.

M- With most overly bitter stouts I've had, there's an oiliness which sticks around and clings to your mouth--but at least this one doesn't have that. Good mouthfeel.

D- Starts bitter and harsh, but you get used to it. In fact, it actually becomes more palatable and nearly enjoyable half-way through. It might be because of it warming up a little, and more flavor comes out countering the sharp bitter.

4.23/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Vancer for this extra bottle for the BA Anny Club. Slight head. Very dark. Not a whole lot of smell. Nice taste of malt with no alcohol taste noted. I was surprised this had an ABV of 8%. Very drinkable. I have not had too many dry stouts (except those by Victory & Sly Fox) but this is a good brew.

4.44/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Vancer for this EXTRA treat in our trade.

A - Beer is pitch black opaque in color, deep brown around the edges when held to light. Head is creamy off-white and fades to a film, thicker around the edges. Minimal lacing.

S - Rich toasty malts with vanilla and cream and fresh bread dough.

T - Taste Milky and creamy at first with bitter citrus-y hops. Leads into dark raisin fruits and toasted malt & bitter coffee complexity with a bit of warming alcohol in the finish.

M - A very creamy mouthfeel on this one, with a perfect amount of carbonation.

D - Excellent tasting beer here with nice complexities and good alcohol. Mouthfeel is also very appealing and obviously works very well with this style. Thanks again to Vancer for this sweet, not-so-little stout.

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Poured out a jet black color with a mocha, two-finger head. Left minimal lace.

S - It smelled strongly of roasted malt and hints of caramel.

T - It tasted of sweet roasted malt and toffee. The caramel flavor was understated.

M - It was soft and smooth. A medium-bodied beer.

D - A pretty good stout. Nothing amazing but it will do in a pinch.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

They call this a dry stout. I call it delicious.

Enjoyed on tap at the Taproom, and subsequently several times in the bottle. When I ordered it, my server warned "It's strong...it comes in a snifter...and I can only give you 3 of them."
I said "I don't need 3, but you can bring me 2"
I'll echo that it didn't seem necessary to limit this to 10 oz (she called it 12) in a snifter - It's 8%, not 18%! But whatever...can't be too careful I guess - nothing wrong with that.

Out of the bottle it pours nearly black with a very creamy looking light tan head that fades quickly to a ring. It laces pretty well at first, but by midglass I notice no more.

I like the on tap aroma significantly better - more coffee, more roasty notes, richer, with a suggested alcoholic warmness. From the bottle the nose is overall pretty light and by the bottom of the bottle is dominated by alcohol.

Great tasting stout. I can't say that I've ever found it to be a dry stout, but I find I can't bring myself to lower a rating because it doesn't conform to my probably pathetic knowledge of the style. Style be damned, this is a good beer. The coffee flavor seems nutty to me, and there is cocoa and raisin present as well in this roasty brew. Sweetness is light and I don't taste any real char, but thought I got a hint of smoke. Alcohol is lighter in the taste than in the nose, and lighter in the bottle than from the tap. Feels great in the mouth with body on the high side of medium, and relatively low carbonation.

The tap version is preferred, but I'd drink either anytime. Probably at least two.

3.29/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The pour is motor oil black, viscous, and builds a 1/2 inch tan head. Looking through the British Imperial pint glass, not even a hint of light peeks through. The head disappears quickly.

The aroma is weak for such a strong beer but I can detect hints of leather, tobacco, and bitter roasted malts. It lacks that horse blanket mustiness that can be found on some of the best stouts, including Guinness.

The taste is muted with the bitterness following on the back of the tongue, followed by a flash of sweetness that lingers. As it warms, the alcohol shines through. 8% is too strong for a session beer, which a solid Irish stout should be. Often American brewers forget that and try to make super-strong ales. In Ireland, the tax on beer was based on the alcohol content; thus there was no need for strong alcholic contents.

The mouthfeel is average for a stout. It has enough body to remind you that this is a stout, but nothing on the frothy end of things. I might add that there is no lacing on the glass.

Overall, I like this better than Schlafly's Coffee Stout, which has a harsh side. But I don't think it justifies its $9 price tag. Perhaps that was simply opportunistic pricing for St. Patrick's Day!

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a chalice at around 45 degress. Thanks to Vancer for sending this one my way!!

A - Color starts as a murky dark-brown, but settles to a rich black with a caramel-brown, 2-inch head.

S - Roasted aroma of coffee, cocoa, and smoked earth tones.

T - Roasted malt, bringing out tones of dark-roast coffee, semi-sweet chocolate, and bready grains. More smoked character than I expected. Solid stout.

M - Creamy, medium body with a smooth finish.

D - Alcohol went unnoticed...I didn't even realize it was 8.0% until I started my review. Needless to say, that it the only thing that would keep me from drinking more than a few in one sitting. Excellent stout - this is exactly what I think an Irish Stout should be like.

4.53/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass the liquid is a great looking dark brown, with very good carbonation. The head is nice, 2 plus fingers, tan and leaves some lace.

The smell is great a nice roasty toasty aroma. It begs you to drink.

The taste is very very good, Could be this night but this brew delivers and really hit the spot. The dark roasty malty is full of great flavor, coffee notes chocolate, toasted marshmallows. Yes, thats right, marshmallows. Even though this is a dry stout is dry it has a very welcome and pleasing sweet note.

The mouthfeel is awesome, Great full body much better then the average, Macro Irish stout. It is also smooth and creamy with just the right carbonation.

The drinkability is great, I wish I had many more. Huge thanks to JPM30 for this brew and one other I will try to hold on to for a while.

Prosit und Zum Wohl, MK

4.63/5  rDev +17.5%

I am very impressed with this offering from Schlafly. When poured it looks like any other good stout, and the nose is the same. The taste is where this beer shines. Very good, with roasted bitterness balanced by just a little caramel sweetness. Excellent body, and an extremely clean finish. Probably the best finish of any stout I've ever tasted. I could drink this beer all day, and at 8% that could be dangerous. Excellent work from the folks at Schlafly.

4.62/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at the brewery/tap room and a new batch had just been released on Feb 2, 2007. Served in a snifter - it had an excellent aroma and good complex flavor combining smooth roast and sweet malts. It was very drinkable - the 8% ABV was very well hidden. Blackish-red in color and only a small, creamy tan head which was not long-lasting compared to other Irish stouts.

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from the bottle an almost-jet black. A thick and creamy tan head appeared which quickly faded.

The smell was sweeter than expected and consisted of caramel, coffee and roasted malts. Very nice in my opinion.

This is the stout that Guinness wishes it could be. The taste was just as expected from the smell. A very light touch sweet with a nice combination of the caramel, coffee, and roasted malts.

Mouthfeel was excellent with it's smooth body.

I'm not a fan of sweet stouts and this one is perfect for me. This is another fine product from Schlafly and a stout that I'll definitely have in my fridge.

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours jet black into a pint glass with a two-finger very nice thick, creamy, tan head. Some nice lacing as well. The aroma is pretty sweet. There is some caramel along with chocolate up front, and a little roasted malt with a nice hoppiness in the background.

Taste is pretty sweet up front with more of the chocolate noted in the nose. There is also some nutty and roasted malt character, fruit, and some noticeable hops. The roasted bitterness lingers on the palate and the beer finishes slightly dry. Definitely an easy drinker for an 8% ABV. Pretty good stout in my opinion, and I think those that enjoy a sweeter stout will think likewise.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Dark, almost black, brew with some reddish glints against the light and a nice foamy chocolate head that retains fairly well and manages to leave some chunky lace.

The aroma is caramel, toasted malt and a bit of coffee.

The taste is slightly sweet mild roasted malt with coffee, brown sugar, nuts, smoke and plum notes. Finishes dry, slightly sour with a combination of roasted bitterness and hops with a nice alcohol warmth.

Smooth, medium bodied, and easy to drink.A bit milder roast and slightly sweeter than some Irish stouts but very well balanced and very enjoyable. Well worth a try.

Schlafly Irish-Style Extra Stout from The Schlafly Tap Room