Schlafly Irish-Style Extra Stout - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Foreign / Export Stout |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Vancer on 02-07-2007

Our Irish-Style Extra Stout amplifies the traditional drier versions from Ireland for a bolder, black brew. The addition of both roasted barley and Dark Crystal malted barley give Extra Stout undertones of chocolate, molasses and dried fruit. The beer is generously hopped with East Kent Goldings to balance the sweetness from the malted barley.

Extra Stout is a descendent of the British and Irish porters of the 18th Century. These strong porters eventually became known as strong stout, then Foreign Stout or Extra Stout, depending on origin. Extra Stouts were exported world-wide, gaining popularity in the West Indies, Africa and parts of Asia.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly Irish-Style Extra Stout Alström Bros

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Served On Tap at Pizza Paradiso in Georgetown

A: A nice midnight black with dark coffee roast head.

S: Colombian roast coffee, dark chocolate cocoa, light wiffs of red fruit.

T: Smooth dark chocolate malt, Arabic roast coffee, semi sweet red fruit. Smooth and refreshing. Not overly complicated in taste profile, its mostly Arabic bitter roast, without being too powerful and off putting. Ahh..

M: Medium carbonation with a nice semi dark mocha creamy mouthfeel. This is what Guinness has tried to be for years but fails at miserably.

O: This is a good everyday Irish stout, could have been more creamy and had a bigger taste profile, but its a solid B, not going to add it to my beer fridge but it beats Guinness all to hell.

3.61/5  rDev -7.4%

A: I personally drank this right out of the bottle, but from what I understand, the look of this has been compared to that of Guinness (quite dark with a good amount of thick foam).

S: Malty, like roasted coffee. Also, I detected something slightly astringent, but not in an off-putting way.

T: Malty with subtle hints of dark chocolate and coffee beans. I also picked up the tastes of pumpernickel and molasses. This definitely finished off dry, and with a hoppy bitterness. For 8% ABV, this really did not taste overly boozy.

M: Well carbonated (medium to high), full bodied, and not watery at all!

O: I'm slowly beginning to appreciate stouts, and I have to say that this is very smooth, and drinker friendly! I would not hesitate to enjoy this beer again!

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was very black indeed. The beer poured a nice head that was kind of a chocolate color and nice and poofy. The taste was kind of like burnt chocolate, not terrible nut really strong. I think I would try this beer again.

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Recieved this 12 oz. bottle in a trade from StlThrash, and poured into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours a very dark brown color, almost black. I can see no light, even thru the sides of the glass. Nice 1 finger light brown head that fades leaving some descent lacing behind.

S - Great peat and roasty malt aroma. Kinda warming in the nostrils.

T - The smell matches the flavor perfectly. Great roasty malt backbone, with notes of molasses and a nice dry finish.

M - Very smooth and easy drinking. Slightly lacking in carbonation, but that contributes to the smooth, medium body mouthfeel.

O - I was pleasantly suprised with this one. I'm not used to a dry irish stout being this robust,or smooth. I have had this in my cellar for about 7 months. Just a really good irish stout, no bells or whistles.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Picked this up in Totowa since I had never tried it before and it was new to me. Sure, I'm sweating to death here in the head and humidity but this beer was brewed with love on 2/4/11 and I thought it was time to enjoy it before it became skunked!

Typical dark pour to this with a very frothy and lighter-hued head that took up quite a bit of my pint glass. It faded after a minute and the accompanying lacing was only a pipe dream, since there wasn't any to be see. The taste was that of dark chocolate, a bit of fig and currant, and some roasted toffee. Not much of an aroma but the hops and alcohol fused together nicely in the aftertaste and lingered for a while. This wasn't malty or heavy in the mouthfeel either and if there were any drawbacks to this beer, it tasted stronger than it actually was.

For a FES, this was a decent take on it. Sure, it's strong and I'm feeling it as I finish it up, but it's nothing excessive and the booze never overtook the flavors and ambiance of this beer. I'm not sure if I'd give it another go but for anyone who loves dark beers and doesn't want to be bowled over while having one, this would be a good choice.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

At the time of this review, this is the #11 Foreigh / Export Stout on the best of lists on beeradvocate.com.

Beer poured into a Russian River -tion glass. Beer is black / dark brown with a good head, moderate carbonation, some lacing.

Aroma is sweet and has a mild chocolate notes in the nose.

The beer is medium bodied, sweet up front with a thin and mildly bitter finish. The midpalate has this great milk chocolate flavor that is very interesting. I really enjoyed this little stout. Sweeter than I expected but I guess that's what makes it a FES. I'd have it again.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A - Black with a minimal light tan head which recedes quickly. Many bubbles form around the glass with some minor lacing

S - Muted dark chocolate and roasted malt aromas with a definite hop presence

T - Dark chocolate and licorice notes with a nice melding of hops and malt flavors. Very well balanced. The alcohol is somewhat evident but is well disguised

M - Good amount of carbonation and a nice dry finish

I could certainly have a few more of these. The only negative for me was the muted aromas but the taste more than made up for that.

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

This stout is motor oil black with some tan lacing. Aroma is malt with chocolate, coffee, and licorice. Tastes just like it smells: unsweetened chocolate, licorice, coffee. Malty sweetness up front with some hoppy bitterness in the finish. Lightly carbonated. Long finish with a hint of alcohol. Just slightly unbalanced but still delicious. Paired well with some dark chocolate. Brewed with love on 02-04-2011.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

A - A fingers worth of slightly fizzy tightly packed medium brown colored head with some big chunky bubble mixed in... Slight retention gives way to full moderately creamy lacing... A light black color that allows a bit of light to leak in at the bottom of the glass hinting at a slight red hue... Some carbonation bubbles can been seen racing along the sides of the glass...

S - Lightly roasted malts... Cocoa powder... Baker's chocolate... Subtle coffee notes... Some caramelized sugars... Soy sauce... Perhaps even a touch of smoke...

T - Roasted malts... Some faint espresso notes... Dark chocolate... Cream... Caramel... Toffee... Brownie mix... A touch of smokiness on the finish...

M - Medium to full bodied... Slightly dense... Lush and creamy... Subtle carbonation... A bit chewy... Excellent balance and consistency... A bit of a chalky finish... Very nicely done...

D - A very nice brew here folks... Above average in all categories and teetering on outstanding in most... I only get to sample Schlafly on a limited basis, but this is my favorite to date... Not overpowering and proof the depth and complexity go along way in making a world class offering...

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Enjoyed on a nitro-tap @ the Schlafly Tap-Room in St. Louis, MO. Tapped with the Small Black, Nitro-Tapper handles in a Pint Glass with the head dripping down the sides and ready to review!

Appearance- Received with 1.5 fingers of creamy, off white head. Very similar to the pour of a Guinness in color, thickness, and density. Leaves almost no head and head retention is decent.

Smell- Very strange aroma! I smell the average stout smell (chocolate, roast, coffee) but then have a hint of a HUGE soy sauce smell. Nothing like it!

Taste- There is a roasted, chocolate taste at the beginning and then a huge amount of milk stout flavor in the end. Still it was all roast in the end!

Mouthfeel- Medium- Full Bodied, Full Viscosity, Smooth, and the roast taste staying on the palate very long. Nice! Very dry and prickly. Thin (but gets thicker as it warms).

Overall- Smoothest Stout I might have ever had from an American Brewery. Have seen this out in the stores as a Special Release but as soon as I saw it was on a Nitro-Tap at the Tap-Room, I went straight for it! Great drinkability as well!

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours half pitch black body, no highlights and half dark tan head of billowy microbubbles.

Hefty roast coffee aroma, hints of chocolate around the edges. Whiff of bakery up the block.

The taste reserves the aroma, with chocolate up front backed by coffee notes. Nice big flavor when warmed up a bit. Alcohol hidden. Subtle earthy hops.

Smooth medium-plus mouthfeel. Slick though not oily.

Nicely drinkable, though the "Irish-Style" on the label might imply more of an Irish Dry Stout instead of this higher alcohol Foreign/Export Stout.

A pleasant treat, and an intermediate style that we don't see that often. Nice to have a stout between Irish Dry and Russian Imperial.

Definitely worth a try.

3.77/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Chimay goblet. Special thanks to mikennat for this from our recent trade!

Bottled with love on: 12 29 2010

A: Pours with the exact color and consistency of Coke. Thinnish dark brown/black with slight reddish hues at the edges. Creamy eggshell foam on top quickly melts down to a thin ring and the barest trace of skim. No lace was left behind.

S: Very healthy roast aromas. Burnt malt, roasty dark chocolate, some dark fruit, espresso, and quite a bit of nostril tickling alcohol.

T: This beer has flavors that can be tracked by temp. Fresh out of the fridge it was all roast. When it hit about 60 out came the dark fruit and chocolate. Then when room temp approached there was a definite alcohol flavor that got in the way to a certain extent.

M: Very dry and prickly. Thin (but gets thicker as it warms). Almost like the alcohol solvency won out over the hops. Finish has quite a long life that plasters dry roastiness all over my tongue.

D: Pretty good drinkability for the abv. I didn't look closely enough at the bottle so I was expecting something more along the lines of 4%-5%. Nice beer and totally suitable for this time of the year.

3.32/5  rDev -14.9%

Black, tan head, good lacing...how many times have I said this about a stout? Well carbonated and fairly low body. Not an oily looking thick body but leaves carbonated legs when swirled. Now that the carbonation has subsided I can see if the beer leavings anything against the glass when swirled and well it's just watery enough to quickly leave the glass, but you can tell this isn't a thin bodied beer either.

Nearly no aroma at all. I am picking up smoke, hops, and faint malt sweetness that's hard to even notice.

A hoppy beer to say the least. Instead of giving off a burnt flavor it gives off a sweet sour like smoke that is mixed with the chocolate malt flavors. I feel this is one of the worst written reviews I have never stumbled through. The problem is there are flavors in this beer I simply do not have a word for. I guess my dull diet is coming back to bite me on this review. Schafly claims this is a perfect dry stout and frankly I cannot argue with them. It is hands down the best I have had.

There is something in the flavor that doesn't make me want to drain this glass like I should, but the lighter feeling 8% on this beer goes down pretty damn easily.

A bit overly carbonated to start, but that eventually with a few swirls and time goes away. Left are bitter hop notes and a dry finish. Just what this style should be and done pretty darn well.

Schlafly Irish-Style Extra Stout from The Schlafly Tap Room