Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Schlafly Dry-Hopped American Pale Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Dry-Hopped American Pale AleSchlafly Dry-Hopped American Pale Ale

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-09-2007

Our Dry Hopped American Pale Ale (APA) is charged with American hops to create a bold, aromatic ale. Assertive hop flavor joins the pine/citrus aroma characteristic of American hops to balance the full body provided by North American malts. After fermentation, the beer circulates through a bed of Cascade and Chinook hops, boosting the distinctive hop aroma of this satisfying ale.

In the long view of the history of beer, American Pale Ale is a newcomer. Based on English Pale Ale, American brewers adapted this style into something new. Born out of the reverence English Pale Ales during the 1980’s American beer scene, APA is the bold, hoppier cousin of Pale Ale. With an emphasis on American hops, APA is gaining popularity with breweries racing to make these ales with such great hop characters.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly Dry-Hopped American Pale Ale Alström Bros

I make it a habit to only review beers that are worth my time, this is certainly one of them.

This is one of the best pale ale's I have tasted. It is just a dry hop bonanza and it is neither to bitter nor too sweet, and has adequate malt but not enough to detract from the hop flavor.

I went through a phase where I would not drink a beer below 7% abv because I didn't think that they could have enough flavor. This is one of the beers that proved me wrong and I love it for it.

4.75/5  rDev +25%

I recently discovered the Schlafly brewery on my last trip to St. Louis, and I have to say they are one impressive microbrew. I, personally, am a huge fan of hoppy beers, and this one definitely hits the spot. Aside from it's strong, hoppy flavor, this APA manages to finish smoothly with a bitter twist. Excellent beer!

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Schlafly defines themselves with this brew. There really is no point in them producing their standard pale ale in comparison to this offering. I pit Dry-Hopped American Pale Ale against many of my favorite European pale ales and it holds it's own in every event.

This is a good beer and is not only a taste sample, but a beer you could enjoy regularly.

4.68/5  rDev +23.2%

This was the first Schlafly product that I was thoroughly impressed with. That isn't to say that their others beers aren't good, I just didn't think they stood out when compared to some other great beers.

The color of this APA is very good with a nice, dark orange. Very hoppy (duh, right?), which is something that I enjoy. Has a far-off citrus taste that doesn't overwhelm your tastes. The weakest part of the beer is its smell. It doesn't have a bad smell, just not the same lovely citrus scent you get with other similar beers.

I have had this both on tap, and in bottle. I, surprisingly, enjoy it from the bottle as I found the tap to have lost some of the hop edge (maybe it was just an old brew?). Definitely one of my favorites, and has become my standby when I can find it.

4.67/5  rDev +22.9%

Just drove back to Chi town and happened to blow through St Lois and picked up a case due to the fact they were bottled with love twelve day's ago.

Look's like you're average honey / peachy colored APA, slight haze, and a nice glowing body which does produce a nice and creamy head, with ample lacing typical of this style...

The smell is of Juicy fruit gum with peach and Cascade spiciness, smells delicious to say the least. Almost forgot the rich malt lingering below the layer's of hoppy goodness.

The flavor is where this beer really shine's. All the fruity peachy, melon like hoppiness that is perfectly balanced with some malty sweetness, again getting those Juicy fruit gum tones all over the place. Perfection !!!

The mouthfeel and carbonation are very nice indeed. Just the right level of carbonation to create a perfect malt and hop's symphony to shine through. Damn near perfect !!!!

If you have the oppourtunity to sample this fresh, you will be very happy, possibly blown away. This APA is on par with 3 floyd's, Stone and sierra. A must try, this is an exceptional brew to say the least. Kick Ass !!!

A must try, do not blow this one off. Quite possibly, one of the best pint's to ever cross you're lip's !!! It's almost like a cross between The Floyd's Gumball head and Alpha King.

4.55/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass the liquid is a semi cloudy very pale orange with very good carbonation. The head is a big 3 fingers of very white cotton fluff that stays for a good long while then fades leaving quite some nice lace. A very good looking brew.

The smell is like fresh hops. Yes this smells great, a pronounced citrus hopy aroma with a touch of lemon that reminds me of a good Greman Hefe Weitzen with a note of banana.

The taste is wonderful I don't know how I am going to keep my self from downing this fast. The malt is slightly sweet and very lightly toasted, but the hops are the real deal hear. All kinds of bitter citrus and floral treats, so good no need for balance, just enjoy. The finish is great as no unwanted stale bitterness is present, it seems the sweet malt also sticks around a bit.

The mouthfeel is good, medium body and good carbonation.

The drinkability is excellent, I wish I could get beers like this every day.

Many, many thanks to Vancer for this brew. Prosit und Zum Wohl, MK

4.55/5  rDev +19.7%

12oz->Foster's Pint
Dated 05/04/11
Present from HeavyD from annual road trip to Saint Louis
Thanks papa!

A ~ Pours a very pale translucent amber with an inch of bubbly head.

S ~ Citrus & faint doughy malt

T ~ Very crisp dry hops first off...citrus & tropical fruit come to mind. Bit of spice, cracker & pale malt.

M ~ Dry-hopped very well. There is alot of excitement on the palette while maintaining that Light body. Very "wet."

D ~ Very solid Pale. Severe drinkability. Saved half of it for my Salami Gentile pizza & it paired perfectly.
seek this OUT.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3 finger off-white head after an aggressive pour, Dark gold/dark orange color made opaque by copious amounts of yeast left in the bottle. Unfiltered or different yeast for bottle conditioning? Seems like a lot for bottle conditioning, but hey, I like yeast!

Aroma is grass and grapefruit and sweet, light caramel-like malt aroma. A little pine? I guess so.

All that in the taste, but more subtle than it sounds. Much lighter than expected. Malt comes through a little more with some toasty notes and the bitterness is moderate and balanced.

Crisp and full-bodied with a slight dryness in the finish.

A fantastic brew and, in my opinion, the best that they have that is somewhat readily available.

4.52/5  rDev +18.9%

First off, (and as another reviewer has pointed out) this is basically a Brit Pale Ale made with American hops...so this beer by definition is going to be rounder and more balanced than the IPAs that have taken over the pale ale universe.

A-Hazy copper red with an ridiculously pillowy head (it lasts so long that I got impatient and "cut" it off so that I could empty the whole bottle into my 20oz pint glass!). Haze is ok for this style and I actually find it a plus--it means the beer wasn't filtered at a small-enough pore diameter to adversely filter out flavor). Pretty lacing.

S--Hops...fresh hops...

T--Fruity and hoppy. Malt is there too. Really an amazingly-balanced flavor profile reminiscent of some of the better Brit ales I've had in the past. Alcohol is a little high to be considered an Amero-Brit Pale Ale, but it's close.

M--Medium body with a nice, crisp bitterness on the finish. It's like drinking a fluffy, hoppy cloud. This is almost perfect. I would have notched back the bitterness a little to turn this into "the" perfect session beer.

D--I just said session beer, didn't I? Well I'll stand behind that. I could drink this all night. Alcohol level is a bit high to be perfect.

4.52/5  rDev +18.9%

A - Pours a nice copper ale which I would describe as muddy.

S - a pleasant citrus aroma.

T - A malty beverage with a nice mixture of hops and citrus.

M - At first I thought it was overly "fizzy" but decided after several sips that the beer was great this way

D - A great beer that I picked up as a "filler" on a create your own six. I'll gladly get this again.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Awesome white fluffy head over orange-yellow brew that looks pretty dense. Good head retention.

Awesome hop smell - it really explodes with citrus & honey hops.

Incredible taste. Hop dominated but balanced by malt sweetness. Flavors are pine, orange, sugar, and earthiness. Dry, crisp mouthfeel with a slightly sweet aftertaste.

I had been skeptical of Schlafy products, but this is a world-class beer. I could enjoy many of these.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

A- Orangish red body with a creamy white head. A little hazy but thats to be expected with this such a APA.
S- Smells of wonderful hops and a slight malt, a little pine and citrus.
T- Hops hops hops and the best kind...cascade
M- perfect carbination and some citrus in the end but hops hops ok you get it.
D- Very drinkable especially on handpull at the Taproom.

Hybrid APA, dry-hopped.

A-Copper, with a fluffy head. Slightest haze, but understandable/acceptable for the dry hopping.

S--Hops are deliciously dominating, if ya love hops, I do.

T--Hoppy in the most wonderfully citrus way. Malt present, but takes backstage to the hops. MMMmmm. I'm hoppy.

M--Medium body with a nice, Crisp finish,

D-- I could drink it all night long, not a tongue scrubber for me, but maybe for some.

Reminiscent of the Alpha King of old. This is almost perfect. I favor this beer among almost all others, including Goose Island IPA. That's right, Jon, I said it.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey color with a frothy white head that leaves a few dancing shards of lace behind

Smell: Ah...hop perfume; floral tangerine aroma

Taste: Opens with a touch of the biscuit and then charges forward with a tangerine juice flavor; after the swallow, the juiciness mellows out a bit (after all, this is an APA, not an IPA) but persists, leaving also some complementary sweetness on the tip of the tongue

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: One of the better APAs I have encountered lately; presses all the right buttons

Thanks, rsyberg01, for the opportunity

4.46/5  rDev +17.4%

Thanks to Goliath for this one
Bottle poured a good finger worth of head that lasted; it just slides down the glass as you drink the brew. The amber orange body color looks awesome in my pint glass

Aromas citrus hops and bread yeast not much malts in the mix, light if any

This brew taste great I say it is the best APA I have tried just the right amount of malt sweetness and hop bitters to make it extremely well balanced I wish I had a pizza to go along with this one. Medium body great carbonation as well

Highly drinkable APA this brew is a must try in my book. Very enjoyable glad I started of with this one today

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a clear deep golden color with a huge off-white, frothy, cloud-like head. The nose is of hops, more subdued than some of the earlier ones I had (I should have reviewed this a long time ago, I just found this one in the back of my beer cabinet - bottled 2-24-09). Still west coast type hops, citrusy and piney. The hops are still apparent in the flavor, grapefruit comes to mind immediately, slightly resinous and piney. A solid malt backbone to balance but this is definitely a hop forward beer. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a creamy, velvety carbonation. Overall an excellent APA, again - I should have rated this as a fresher beer but it still stands up over time. Definitely the best Schlafly beer I've had.

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Samuel Adams glass. Bottled on 1/29/08. The body was cloudy and orange/gold in color. Over two fingers of crackling white head lingered.

Smell was juicy citrus. Leafy yumminess! The aroma suggests more sweetness than the flavor reveals.

Taste was a hoppy greenness that was short of harsh. Nice. Light sweetness and tons of hops flavor. Plump grapefruit rind finish. Drying crispness.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied and carbonated. Very drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%

On tap at the Bottleworks.

This beer pours a slightly cloudy amber color, not that dark but not quite clear. It looks good. The smell is pine and citrus. On the first sip you get the taste to match the smell, hops, hops, hops. Tasted like pine that got more citrus notes as it lingered. Hops dominate but don't wash out the malt flavor. Quite tasty for someone like me who isn't really a hophead. Its about as hoppy as I like beer. Very drinkable, I have no problem putting back five or six of these in a sitting. The glass shows decent lacing as I put it back down on the bar. All in all an excellent ale for those who like a lot a hops but not crazy IPA levels. Recommended.

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A great large off white head, nice and foamy that settles slowly. Body color is a great looking pale amber orange and nicely just clear. Great retention on the head with a big cap, and speckled lacing. Some little rising carbonation, great looking!

Nose is a mushy faint kind of apricot, and some cereal grain. Hop angle seems a mish mash of tea and some nice bitter.

Great simple hop angle and malt balance. First taste is a mellow hop, juicy, a little arid, then a sweet malt balance that follows. Apricot mild and malt dominates later on the palate. Great mild sting on the palate, perfect in that it gives just a hint without trying to be a Pale Ale hop bomb.

Overall just great, Loving this, it goes down like nothing and is so easy to drink. Beer was gone in less than 2 minutes it was so good, glad I got more!

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Schlafly's APA is copper in color and has a slight chill haze to it. The head presentation is perfect with two fingers of off white head and retains quite well.

In the aroma the spicy hops dominate with piney and spruce nuances.

The taste is nicely balanced between the two key ingredients. There is the kick of spruce up front, goes to a caramel in the middle, and then the hops return to finish off the sip.

Mouth feel wise it's got a crispness of a lighter beer, but a slight warming feeling in the end. Overall a good complex stronger session beer.

4.37/5  rDev +15%

This beer pours a nice light orange color with a great, foamy head and perfect lacing. Wonderful leafy hop aroma greets your nose and flirts with your senses as your mouth begins to water in anticipation. And, no doubt about it, the taste is very hoppy and bitter with a nice sweet, citrusy balance. This is an excellent ale, and one of my favorites from Schlafly. Perhaps a bit too bitter for some, but to me it's delicious. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth to slightly coarse with perfect carbonation. Ease of consumption? Oh yeah. Very drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

pours a really pretty light amber color but looks a lot like a lager. has a decent white cloudy head on it as well, smells great, for the first time in a beer i smell distinctly apples, and actually granny smith apples, has a tartness to it that i can really discern. has some hoppy scents to it as well, tastes great, like a toned down ipa but with some malt thrown in, a very well balanced and tasty beer, a slight bitterness with a malty touch, very good beer, try it if you can get get some!

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Jan 20, 2009

Pours a slightly hazy light amber, almost golden in color. Grainy, crisp aroma. Moderate head with good lacing throughout. Lots of hops evident. Very good going down, bitterness throughout. Excellent APA IMO. Will definitely buy again. Bought it at the only place in our town I could find. Will make sure they keep carrying it. To me a good value for $1.25/bottle including tax - Cheers!

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

12 ounce bottle, bottled on 1/29/08. Served in a snifter, the beer pours an amber/orange color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. The aroma is very nice, it smells mostly like citrusy hops with a bit of malt and bread. It tastes like citrusy and grassy hops with some bready/biscuity malt too. Nice full flavored brew, with a lingering bitter hoppy aftertaste. Mouthfeel/body is medium, with a nice coating mouthfeel and good carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, it's smooth, goes down easy and quite sessionable. I think this is one of the better APA's around, another good beer from Schlafly!

4.32/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured a brilliantly clear light amber color into a shaker style pint glass.

Smell of classic american style citrus hops with a touch of a pine note. Beer was extremely fresh and had an incredible nose.

Slight caramel and graininess with an excellent citric hop flavor. Dry finish and excellent carbonation.

Medium light body. Moderate carbonation.

Very drinkable and sessionable APA. When had fresh this is truly an incredible example of a classic dry hopped American Pale Ale.

Schlafly Dry-Hopped American Pale Ale from The Schlafly Tap Room