Schlafly Dry-Hopped American Pale Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

good

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.90% ABV

Our Dry Hopped American Pale Ale (APA) is charged with American hops to create a bold, aromatic ale. Assertive hop flavor joins the pine/citrus aroma characteristic of American hops to balance the full body provided by North American malts. After fermentation, the beer circulates through a bed of Cascade and Chinook hops, boosting the distinctive hop aroma of this satisfying ale.

In the long view of the history of beer, American Pale Ale is a newcomer. Based on English Pale Ale, American brewers adapted this style into something new. Born out of the reverence English Pale Ales during the 1980’s American beer scene, APA is the bold, hoppier cousin of Pale Ale. With an emphasis on American hops, APA is gaining popularity with breweries racing to make these ales with such great hop characters.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-09-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly Dry-Hopped American Pale Ale Alström Bros

drn, Dec 04, 2011

OtsegoHive, May 08, 2012

mdvatab, Nov 20, 2011

DrJTL, Jul 27, 2014

Diomede, Nov 20, 2011

seth72104, Nov 14, 2011

I make it a habit to only review beers that are worth my time, this is certainly one of them.

This is one of the best pale ale's I have tasted. It is just a dry hop bonanza and it is neither to bitter nor too sweet, and has adequate malt but not enough to detract from the hop flavor.

I went through a phase where I would not drink a beer below 7% abv because I didn't think that they could have enough flavor. This is one of the beers that proved me wrong and I love it for it.

razorsdescent, Jul 15, 2013

LL_Cool_K, Dec 26, 2012

lokiikol, Nov 24, 2011

captainbearcat, Nov 20, 2011

columbiankramer, Dec 27, 2011
4.84/5  rDev +28.4%

jimbob25, Oct 10, 2014
4.78/5  rDev +26.8%

I recently discovered the Schlafly brewery on my last trip to St. Louis, and I have to say they are one impressive microbrew. I, personally, am a huge fan of hoppy beers, and this one definitely hits the spot. Aside from it's strong, hoppy flavor, this APA manages to finish smoothly with a bitter twist. Excellent beer!

iamatotalbum, Jun 12, 2009

Gregvg, Sep 16, 2014

Zachariah1978, Jun 22, 2014

mzablocki, Jul 05, 2013
4.72/5  rDev +25.2%

This was the first Schlafly product that I was thoroughly impressed with. That isn't to say that their others beers aren't good, I just didn't think they stood out when compared to some other great beers.

The color of this APA is very good with a nice, dark orange. Very hoppy (duh, right?), which is something that I enjoy. Has a far-off citrus taste that doesn't overwhelm your tastes. The weakest part of the beer is its smell. It doesn't have a bad smell, just not the same lovely citrus scent you get with other similar beers.

I have had this both on tap, and in bottle. I, surprisingly, enjoy it from the bottle as I found the tap to have lost some of the hop edge (maybe it was just an old brew?). Definitely one of my favorites, and has become my standby when I can find it.

torsoul, Apr 08, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Schlafly defines themselves with this brew. There really is no point in them producing their standard pale ale in comparison to this offering. I pit Dry-Hopped American Pale Ale against many of my favorite European pale ales and it holds it's own in every event.

This is a good beer and is not only a taste sample, but a beer you could enjoy regularly.

charliedango, Jan 13, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +24.7%

Just drove back to Chi town and happened to blow through St Lois and picked up a case due to the fact they were bottled with love twelve day's ago.

Look's like you're average honey / peachy colored APA, slight haze, and a nice glowing body which does produce a nice and creamy head, with ample lacing typical of this style...

The smell is of Juicy fruit gum with peach and Cascade spiciness, smells delicious to say the least. Almost forgot the rich malt lingering below the layer's of hoppy goodness.

The flavor is where this beer really shine's. All the fruity peachy, melon like hoppiness that is perfectly balanced with some malty sweetness, again getting those Juicy fruit gum tones all over the place. Perfection !!!

The mouthfeel and carbonation are very nice indeed. Just the right level of carbonation to create a perfect malt and hop's symphony to shine through. Damn near perfect !!!!

If you have the oppourtunity to sample this fresh, you will be very happy, possibly blown away. This APA is on par with 3 floyd's, Stone and sierra. A must try, this is an exceptional brew to say the least. Kick Ass !!!

A must try, do not blow this one off. Quite possibly, one of the best pint's to ever cross you're lip's !!! It's almost like a cross between The Floyd's Gumball head and Alpha King.

hopman333, Jul 07, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +22%

12oz->Foster's Pint
Dated 05/04/11
Present from HeavyD from annual road trip to Saint Louis
Thanks papa!

A ~ Pours a very pale translucent amber with an inch of bubbly head.

S ~ Citrus & faint doughy malt

T ~ Very crisp dry hops first off...citrus & tropical fruit come to mind. Bit of spice, cracker & pale malt.

M ~ Dry-hopped very well. There is alot of excitement on the palette while maintaining that Light body. Very "wet."

D ~ Very solid Pale. Severe drinkability. Saved half of it for my Salami Gentile pizza & it paired perfectly.
seek this OUT.

chocosushi, Jul 25, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +22%

JordanHageman, Jun 16, 2014
4.55/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass the liquid is a semi cloudy very pale orange with very good carbonation. The head is a big 3 fingers of very white cotton fluff that stays for a good long while then fades leaving quite some nice lace. A very good looking brew.

The smell is like fresh hops. Yes this smells great, a pronounced citrus hopy aroma with a touch of lemon that reminds me of a good Greman Hefe Weitzen with a note of banana.

The taste is wonderful I don't know how I am going to keep my self from downing this fast. The malt is slightly sweet and very lightly toasted, but the hops are the real deal hear. All kinds of bitter citrus and floral treats, so good no need for balance, just enjoy. The finish is great as no unwanted stale bitterness is present, it seems the sweet malt also sticks around a bit.

The mouthfeel is good, medium body and good carbonation.

The drinkability is excellent, I wish I could get beers like this every day.

Many, many thanks to Vancer for this brew. Prosit und Zum Wohl, MK

MuenchenerKindl, Dec 10, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +20.7%

A - Pours a nice copper ale which I would describe as muddy.

S - a pleasant citrus aroma.

T - A malty beverage with a nice mixture of hops and citrus.

M - At first I thought it was overly "fizzy" but decided after several sips that the beer was great this way

D - A great beer that I picked up as a "filler" on a create your own six. I'll gladly get this again.

xfactor9600, Dec 21, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +20.2%

Wow...just...WOW

First off, (and as another reviewer has pointed out) this is basically a Brit Pale Ale made with American hops...so this beer by definition is going to be rounder and more balanced than the IPAs that have taken over the pale ale universe.

A-Hazy copper red with an ridiculously pillowy head (it lasts so long that I got impatient and "cut" it off so that I could empty the whole bottle into my 20oz pint glass!). Haze is ok for this style and I actually find it a plus--it means the beer wasn't filtered at a small-enough pore diameter to adversely filter out flavor). Pretty lacing.

S--Hops...fresh hops...

T--Fruity and hoppy. Malt is there too. Really an amazingly-balanced flavor profile reminiscent of some of the better Brit ales I've had in the past. Alcohol is a little high to be considered an Amero-Brit Pale Ale, but it's close.

M--Medium body with a nice, crisp bitterness on the finish. It's like drinking a fluffy, hoppy cloud. This is almost perfect. I would have notched back the bitterness a little to turn this into "the" perfect session beer.

D--I just said session beer, didn't I? Well I'll stand behind that. I could drink this all night. Alcohol level is a bit high to be perfect.

ExMachina1, Dec 21, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3 finger off-white head after an aggressive pour, Dark gold/dark orange color made opaque by copious amounts of yeast left in the bottle. Unfiltered or different yeast for bottle conditioning? Seems like a lot for bottle conditioning, but hey, I like yeast!

Aroma is grass and grapefruit and sweet, light caramel-like malt aroma. A little pine? I guess so.

All that in the taste, but more subtle than it sounds. Much lighter than expected. Malt comes through a little more with some toasty notes and the bitterness is moderate and balanced.

Crisp and full-bodied with a slight dryness in the finish.

A fantastic brew and, in my opinion, the best that they have that is somewhat readily available.

tapman, Jun 10, 2011