Schlafly Dry-Hopped American Pale Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

good

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.90% ABV

Our Dry Hopped American Pale Ale (APA) is charged with American hops to create a bold, aromatic ale. Assertive hop flavor joins the pine/citrus aroma characteristic of American hops to balance the full body provided by North American malts. After fermentation, the beer circulates through a bed of Cascade and Chinook hops, boosting the distinctive hop aroma of this satisfying ale.

In the long view of the history of beer, American Pale Ale is a newcomer. Based on English Pale Ale, American brewers adapted this style into something new. Born out of the reverence English Pale Ales during the 1980’s American beer scene, APA is the bold, hoppier cousin of Pale Ale. With an emphasis on American hops, APA is gaining popularity with breweries racing to make these ales with such great hop characters.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-09-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly Dry-Hopped American Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -40.3%

2.25/5  rDev -40.3%

Appearance: The beer has a murky, gold body. It does not look the greatest. There is a good amount of carbonation. The pillowy, white head is two fingers deep. There is just a little bit of wispy lace sticking to the glass.

Smell: There are some musty hop profiles here. They are not really all that appetizing. A heavy grain smell near the end, making the beer almost skunky. The hops are more grassy. It is a strange adjunct hop flavor.

Taste: The slight hop bitterness has absolutely no other flavors to compliment it. There is rice, grain, and a slight funk. The hops are there, but they are bland. This is not very good.

Mouth feel: A very light and crisp mouth feel due to the high carbonation. It is okay, it could be a little creamier.

Overall: I was quite excited to try Schlafly as they just started distributing in my area, but this was a real let down. This is pretty much an adjunct with more hop bitterness. I will not give up on Schlafly, but our first meeting was certainly awkward.

2.3/5  rDev -39%

Picked this up on a recent trip through Missouri. Bottled 28 November 2012. Tasted 29 January 2013, reviewed from notes.

Pours a clean clear bright orange with a little gold. Half-finger of white head, okay retention, pretty good lacing. Little visible carbonation.

Smells... not dry-hopped. Which is, um, surprising, seeing as "dry-hopped" is in the beer's name. Where are those hops? I can't find them. I also can't find much that appeals to me. Very grainy, lightly sweet and corny. Smells like a slightly juiced up adjunct lager. Weird.

Taste is in the same vein. Very grainy, a little sweet, and nothing that really says hops or APA. Shoot, I've brewed APAs that I liked way better than this, and I haven't done much brewing. It tastes like a mildly sweetened macro. Only a half-touch of bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is fine. Medium-light body, buoyant, with enough carbonation. Not really good, but fine.

A very grainy, otherwise dull pale ale. I can drink this, but it's not what it says it is, and it's disappointing. I don't plan on drinking this again, that's for sure. This surprises me, as the other Schlafly beer I've had was stellar and very hop-forward.

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 6/27/11
*From notes

A: Pleasant golden. A nice pour yields a 1.25 finger head. Not a lot of lacing on this one.

S: Weird. I'm getting some really off-putting cereal filler and adjunct (which I'm aware aren't being used here). The hops are hard to find, though when really getting my nose in there, I do get a touch of bitterness.

T: It tastes cheap. Blasé bitterness from what seems to be a mere touch of hops and a big ol' pile of low-grade oat bran. It never seems to mature in the mouth. One note and exceedingly boring.

M: Thin and over carbed. It's sharp and unrefined.

O: Schlafly's Dry-Hopped APA is a rare miss from a very solid brewery. I won't hold this one against them, but I'll be damned if this isn't one of the most dissapointing dry-hopped brews I've ever quaffed. You're best bet is avoding this one entirely.

2.55/5  rDev -32.4%

Bottle Date: 12/15/2010

Appearance -- Pours a bright straw hue with a finger of sudsy white head. Minimal lacing.

Smell -- The aroma is musky: lots of earthy hops, some floral notes as well as grassiness, but mostly an earthy, basement-like musk. Husky grain also in the mix.

Taste -- Husky grain and corn tortillas make up the flavors from the grist. Lingering flavor of pine resin and husky grain.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light in body with gentler carbonation. Feels a bit like soda from a 2L going flat.

Drinkability -- To be honest, I didn't care much for this one. The hopping was a bit off and the weird tortilla taste was distracting. This falls short of expectations, especially considering how many great APA's come from the Midwest. Given this beer was bottled eleven days ago, I will assume that this hasn't passed it's freshness threshold.

2.55/5  rDev -32.4%

Keep in mind, APA's aren't my favorite style, but this my least favorite of all the APA's I've tried.

A - Hazy light brown, with orange and yellow tones. The head popped up right away, but quickly fell.

S - Orange peel, flowers, and heavily of grapefuit.

T - The initial taste is good. It's hoppy, citric, and piny. On the way down the grapefruit citrus flavor is overpowering.

M - The heavy hop bitterness not hitting until swallowed kind of throws of the mouthfeel. The initial sip is cool, refreshing, and crisp though.

D - I won't be drinking this again. If I want grapefruit, I'll drink grapefruit juice. If I want hops, there are other American Ales that are plenty hoppy, strong and still taste like beer.

I'm glad that I tried it, but it's not a do-over.

2.76/5  rDev -26.8%

2.8/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Standard pour creates a 2.5 finger fine, fluffy, white head with moderate retention. Brew itself is a semi-clear orange tangerine color. Lacing is ample, web-like and almost creates a waterfall effect with massive outlines of bubbles. A real pretty beer.

S: Moderately skunky and faintly sour... uh-oh... at this point, I think this might've been "aged" too long. Faint citrus that is barely detectable confirms my initial reaction. There's also a bit of pine in there.

T: Opens with a stringent, deep hoppiness. There's a faint sourness towards the middle, woody, piney for a second, then bitter, bitter, bitter with a background of sourness. This is really past its prime. Finish is not clean at all, very messy. There's also a weird mintiness from the middle to the end that is really out of place.

M: Light bodied, messy, coarse, carbonated, with a finish that is messy and really lingers.

D: I'm really trying to give this beer the benefit of the doubt because I know its a bit past its prime. However... its hard... the flavor is not there. There is no crispness, no fresh hop flavor. The profile is messy and the carbonated mouth just makes all the lack of qualities stand out even more. I don't think I'm gonna have this one again.

2.8/5  rDev -25.7%

Bottle dated 1/19/11... Poured into my Hopside Down glass (all my legit stuff was dirty...)

A- Pours a very light orange/gold color. Carbonation present. Very stable white dense looking head. Impressive head and lacing.

S- Very citrusy. Hop forward with a slight sweetness to back up. I get mostly tangerines and pineapple.

T/M- Alright... The bitterness is spot on for an APA however, the flavor is off a bit. I don't get as much hop flavor as the nose and bitterness allude to. There is a strong malt sweetness followed by a warming alcohol and medicinal flavor. It really isn't very pleasant or smooth. I had high hopes for this with the nose, but the flavor was a let down. Pretty moderate carbonation on high side with a medium light body and finished pretty dry.

O- Not the best APA. I have had one or two worse, but the malt backbone was off and not supported by enough hop flavor. I would like to visit this one again down the road since it seems others don't get that alcohol burn, but for now I would say it is a little below middle of the road per style.

2.83/5  rDev -24.9%

Reviewed 11/15/2008 (Tap Sampler @ Schlafly Tap Room, St. Louis, MO):

Pours a very clear light brown body, with a big creamy white head that is very lasting. Dark grapey aroma, dusty, malty. Fruity taste, some sweet maltiness, a little nutty. Dark grape taste. Soft mouthfeel. Some hoppiness, but mostly a malty taste.

2.98/5  rDev -21%

Poured into a pint glass. Bottled 11/4/09.

3.5 A: Cloudy golden yellow in color. One and a half fingers of creamy head with average retention and some lacing.

3.0 S: In the over 5 months since this has been bottled, all aroma molecules have committed suicide. There's a very small touch of herbal hops and nothing on the malt side. Maybe this would have been okay 5 months ago.

3.0 T: Not a big fan of the taste either. Hop bitterness is there, but it's taken over by an unpleasant yeastiness and a bready maltiness that I don't care for. There's a touch of citrusy hop flavor, but it's just about gone.

3.5 M: Mouthfeel is okay. Medium body, good carbonation, and reasonably creamy.

2.5 D: Not a big fan of this one. I'd be happy to try it fresh, as many people seem to have liked this.

Schlafly Dry-Hopped American Pale Ale from The Schlafly Tap Room