Schlafly Export IPA - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Our English Style Export IPA features 100% English hops and a big malt backbone built upon pale and caramel malted barley. The hop varietals, Pilgrim and East Kent Goldings, lend a quality of lemon and spice, which play off of the fruity flavors contributed by the London ale yeast.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

(Beer added by: hckyfn9999 on 05-10-2007)

1.25/5  rDev -66.4%

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

Think it's only fair to mention upfront that this is not my favorite style IPA. I'm a West Coast boy, born and bred. That being said, I think this beer is pretty lousy. No focus, no nucleus, almost void of (good) flavor. It might be an alright companion for fried rice or a cigarette, but on it's own it's unbalanced, not infected yet oddly sour, way hot for 8%, and really downright hard to drink.
Looks OK, I guess. Absolutely no lacing or head retention.
Smells pretty good. A little cloyingly sweet, but some pleasant marmalade and blossom notes.
Tastes pretty bad. Upfront there is a brief pleasurable moment- a slight pop of oranges, peaches and honeysuckle. This quickly disolves into an awful mess of alcohol, sourness, and faint floral hop bitterness. As soon as I finish typing this I'm pouring the last few ounces down the drain. I've kept sipping to review, and as I sip more I want to lower my scores even further.
Horrible mouthfeel.
Draintime.

2.3/5  rDev -38.2%

I really like Schlafly beers normally, but this one is just a thumbs down for me. Chalk it up to my being an enormous hophead and this beer having maltier tendencies.

I started off hopeful because it has a nice color. Then I noticed a lack of aroma normally associated with IPA's. This stuff tastes boozy to me, and is very sweet. I can tell this has a hop presence, but it's drowned in the malt.

I don't really have much else to say about this beer, aside from hoping I got a bad bottle, and my next one will surprise me and be all I hoped for.

2.64/5  rDev -29%

2.65/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orangish amber color with just a layer of fluffy off white head that leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Quite sweet, hints of fruit and a bit metallic with a hint of tomato. Not a lot of hops here.

Taste: Much better than the smell. There is a sweetness that strikes me as kind of odd. A bit fruity and also malty. There is some citrus peel hop bitterness with a bitter finish. The sweetness and bitterness don't seem to want to work together.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very mild carbonation and a dry finish. Hardly any carbonation here.

Overall: Not a huge fan of this one. There was an odd sweetness in the flavor that I didn't love. The alcohol is well hidden. Still really like this brewery.

2.68/5  rDev -28%

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I've been impressed by the Schlafly brews I've tried in the past so I picked up this sixer for IPA day. It looks nice enough on the pour, a nice deep amber color with a good head that dissipated over the first few minutes of drinking. Smell was off on this beer for an IPA. It reminded more of macro domestic beers than any IPA I've ever smelled. It had a stronger malt character than I would expect from an IPA. The taste was off too. Strong malt and baked bread. Boozy with a not enjoyable bitterness to it. Overall, I can't say this will be a beer I purchase again.

2.76/5  rDev -25.8%

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

2.88/5  rDev -22.6%

Slightly hazy orange/ light gold color.

Aromas of dry biscuits and marmalade.

Clearly tastes to be heading in the English IPA direction with buiscuty/ orchard fruit flavors and tea leaf hoppiness.

Alcohol stands out a bit here, and there is a bitter finish I assume is hops, but not much hop aroma or flavor over all.

The prickly carbonation spreads a sharp and sour fruity note into the back of the mouth, and it kinda brings me down; bums me out; upsets me.

I could learn to love it as a one-off home-brew batch that pride forced me to finish off, and throw out the recipe, but I won't pay money for this.

2.9/5  rDev -22%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy amber color with bits of sediment floating around. There's about two fingers worth of off-white colored head, and its texture is fairly rocky-looking. Retention is pretty decent, while the head leaves behind webs of lacing on the glass.

S: At first, I pick a healthy amount of sourdough bread and earthiness. There are some twinges that try to resemble stone fruits, but not vividly in the least. Additional hints of mineral water (suggesting a dry beer) and acidic citrus also come through. The citrusy qualities are slightly harsh on the nose. Eh, somewhat up-and-down, leaning slightly closer to down.

T: The opening bread notes are quite well done - they're nicely defined without weighing the palate down. However, just like the nose indicated, there's too much acidic qualities coming from the hops. The actual citrus notes are very mild (no orange marmalade flavors here, sadly), it's mostly just acid. A shame, as everything else about this is good, I just can't get over the battery acid taste.

After a while, its acidic-ness is tempered by the presence of...tobacco, or hell, even weed. It's not enough to make me love this, but it does make this a bit more enjoyable. Still, it's rather imbalanced.

M: It is crisp and fairly light, like a good IPA should be. Carbonation is solidly strong, not overly so. Because it isn't balanced that well, it's not particularly drinkable.

O: I literally have NO idea what to think of this brew. I definitely don't think it's in the same league as some of Schlafly's other IPAs (namely, their wonderful TIPA), but after sipping it for a while, it grows on me slightly. Slightly. Quash some of the acidic qualities, and this would become a genuinely good English IPA. Try it if you can get a single, I guess.

2.93/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Poured an orange-tinted amber with a clinging white head. There is significant detritus floating in this and settling to the bottom, a real negative. There is almost no aroma or flavor even as it warms. There is a nice weight to the body. Not even remotely like an English IPA. I don't know what happened to make this bottle that bad.

2.95/5  rDev -20.7%

12fl oz bottle poured into my pint glass/ bottled on 3/28/2011

Appearance is a light copper color with a fuzzy bubbly two inch white head. Good head retention with soapy scattered lacing left clinging to the sides of my glass.

Aroma is quite faint actually with a slight citrus smell of orange rinde. I don't know but its hard to get any much else aroma out of it. If you ask me, it smells more like a hopped up pilsner then IPA.

Taste surely does signal otherwise thanfully. Upfront taste of slight orange citrus with some pine bitterness following, caramel malt and dry cracker like taste finish.

Medium(bordering light)with very high fizzy carbonation. Very dry aftertaste.

Overall this is more like an English Pale Ale instead of IPA. Decent but nothing exciting.

2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured into a pint glass

Pretty standard hazy amber color about a 1 finger head lingers over the top after its poured

Nose is very subtle and the malt comes out more than the hops. Sweeter malt with some earthy hops. Alchol notes as well

Very strange flavor almost like the malt and hops are working aginst one another rather than with each other. They almost seem to cancel each other out to just make a very bland flavor with a slightly hoppy/boozy finish

Mouth is slightly watery feeling light to barely medium body

Easy enough to drink but probably something ill never reach for again with many options availble

Schlafly Export IPA from The Schlafly Tap Room