Schlafly Export IPA - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Our English Style Export IPA features 100% English hops and a big malt backbone built upon pale and caramel malted barley. The hop varietals, Pilgrim and East Kent Goldings, lend a quality of lemon and spice, which play off of the fruity flavors contributed by the London ale yeast.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

(Beer added by: hckyfn9999 on 05-10-2007)
3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

12 ouncer, "Bottled with love on 05 06 2009" on the bottom of the front label. Pours darker amber, burnt orange, the head is light tan, frothy, leaves a thick collar, and ample sheeting down low and strands of stick. Mild hop nose, with some dough in the rear. Full bodied and coating on the tongue. Nice depth of flavors, plenty of sweet and then a soft yet quite drying finish. Full bodied and nicely flavorful. Almost tastes like an old ale or a lite Barley wine. Which I suppose is a compliment and means that this is a flavorful and moderatly complex Brit style ale. Well done, enjoyable night capper for me.

Billolick, Aug 08, 2009

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

Pours a hazy orange color with a lot of fine (presumably) hop sediment. A two inch off-white head forms on top but falls to a cap. It retains well and leaves a bit of lacing.

Aroma is quite interesting. There's a rich caramel sweetness, fruity, kind of a touch of cherry. Some spicy hop notes. Hard to describe.

Taste is sweet up front with some fruity esters in the middle, spicy, kind of earthy hops come in towards the finish as well as a nice woody oak flavor that adds some complexity.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, really nice creaminess. Drinkability is pretty good for the ABV.

This was an interesting beer, quite strange combination of flavors that ended up being pretty tasty. Worth a try if you enjoy English style IPAs, if you only like American IPAs you most likely won't enjoy this.

roadhouse, Aug 08, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +3%

A hazy amber color with a quarter inch head, cream in color, forms on top, then gradually dissolving away. Surprising strong bready and malty fragrance at the front of each scent, which is soon, followed by a citrus and pine aroma. The taste starts with a hearty bread flavor, staying there for some time. Then it all blends to a grassy, citrus, and pine flavors that take over and lingers for several minutes. A medium bodied feel, staying consistent all the way through, never thinning out. A very solid IPA, with a strong malty heartiness and a strong hoppy flavor, along with the consistent feel make this a good choice anytime.

cameraman, Aug 01, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -7.8%

poured into a pint glass, deep amber with a two finger head than stays for a while. Cloudy and looks a little dirty.

Smells of some caramel malt and a "midwest" hop profile. the kind of hops that aren't quite east coast and aren't quite west coast. Piney and a little earthy.

Upfront bitterness right of the gun that doesn't go away, I wish it would segway into the malt sweetness at some point but it really doesn't. Piney and earthy hops and a faint malt profile in the taste.

Mouthfeel is a little too overcarbonated for my taste, but typically oily and lasting in the finish. Drinks fairly easy but more than a couple is definitely out of the question. Not a bad beer but underwhelming non the less.

naterock, Jul 19, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured into a pint glass

Pretty standard hazy amber color about a 1 finger head lingers over the top after its poured

Nose is very subtle and the malt comes out more than the hops. Sweeter malt with some earthy hops. Alchol notes as well

Very strange flavor almost like the malt and hops are working aginst one another rather than with each other. They almost seem to cancel each other out to just make a very bland flavor with a slightly hoppy/boozy finish

Mouth is slightly watery feeling light to barely medium body

Easy enough to drink but probably something ill never reach for again with many options availble

SpecialK088, Jul 19, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -5.1%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top with nice label and clearly marked bottled-on date

Appearance: Dark burnt orange beer with a thick ivory cap with good retention. I poured fairly carefully, but still ended up with a decent amount of sediment in the glass...quite a bit of CO2 as well

Smell: Resiny, piney hops up front...quite fresh...my first few sniffs of this reminded me strongly of the freshly-fermenting English Bitter I have in the primary right now...not much malt presence noted, though there's a bit of bread/caramel way in the background...really simple but pleasant

Taste: The alcohol's pretty apparent here. That being said, it's not harsh or brutal, it just lets you know it's there. Up front this is much more balanced than you would expect from the aromas. The hops aren't overly aggressive, and there's only a medium hop flavor throughout. Hop bitterness is on the high side of moderate, and is countered by a vague sweet booziness that's slightly off-putting.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, seems a bit heavy from the booziness

Drinkability: Medium

Conclusion: From a brewery that does some amazing stuff this is fairly mediocre and probably one I won't be going back to often...I think I'll keep a couple in the cellar though and see if a bit of age mellows 'em out at all.

BedetheVenerable, Jul 16, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

This is a new arrival to western TN and I was pretty excited to see it in the area...

Its a really nice looking burnished golden with a nice fluffy head... It looks like the prototype for beer... Its very nice looking, very appetizing, so to speak...

Nice aroma of caramel malts and floral, very floral hops here... A zing of citrus in there as well... Smells spot on for the style...

Well, this isn't an American IPA... But it isn't SUPPOSED to be. Ita not overly aggressively hopped, but has a nice floral hoppiness to it that is rather well balanced by the malts here... The finish is quite bitter and lingers far afterwards... I'm guessing this is what IPAs used to taste like before we Americans got hold of it and amped it up...

A very nice little brew that seems very true to style... Hoppy but not overly so... Rather nice for a change...

Tilley4, Jun 23, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottled with love on 05/06/2009.

Pours a slightly hazy deep amber with a rich, creamy, light cream head that's sustaining. Very lively, with tons of little bubbles rising in steady streams from the bottom of the glass. This is the first pour in a new Schlafly pint glass--more nucleation points, perhaps, or a quality of the beer? Fun to watch, regardless.

Nose is strong malt backbone, with earthy hops throughout. Sweet, with a bit of spice character. One of the better English-style IPA's I've smelled, but nothing really stands out.

My first impression is that this beer is very well balanced. There's a fun back-and-forth play between the sweet malt and the bitter hops, with neither taking center stage. I'm not getting much hop flavor, with the exception of a lingering spiciness on the tail end, but the bitterness is there. A few more sips into the beer and an earthy hop quality starts to come out. Lingering spicy, bitter finish, with hits of a sweet, almost bready malt character poking through here and there. Not overly flavorful, but of the few British IPA's I've tried this is by far the top; and it's not really fair to compare this to a West Coast citrus/pine hop bomb anyway.

Medium bodied, with lots of tiny, almost prickling bubbles on top of a creamy base. Drying effect in the finish, furthered perhaps by the considerable bitterness. Makes me want another sip to quench my thirst. Somewhat heavy, but at 8% and with a considerable malt backbone I'm not surprised, nor does this seem entirely inappropriate.

wnh, Jun 12, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +24.5%

Holy Cow. What's goin' on with this? Color's rosy amber. Consistency is lighter. Head's light and lacy. Flavor is whole other ballgame. Complex is a subtle term. Fruity. Herbaceous. Reminds me of a badass Cali Syrah, for all you wine freaks out there who are into beer. This guy is something to bend your brain around. Thanks to Rob for bringing this back from the mid-west to Boone! Schlafly is definitely on my radar now.

possumfollower2, Jun 11, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -38.2%

I really like Schlafly beers normally, but this one is just a thumbs down for me. Chalk it up to my being an enormous hophead and this beer having maltier tendencies.

I started off hopeful because it has a nice color. Then I noticed a lack of aroma normally associated with IPA's. This stuff tastes boozy to me, and is very sweet. I can tell this has a hop presence, but it's drowned in the malt.

I don't really have much else to say about this beer, aside from hoping I got a bad bottle, and my next one will surprise me and be all I hoped for.

BucketHolder, Jun 11, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Brought a boxload of beer to St. Louis for a friend this past weekend. While there he recommended I try the IPA currently on tap at the Schlafly bottleworks. I did (on 5/24/09)... Here's what I thought of it:

A: beer is quite attractive. It's a bit higher abv (approximately 8%) and as such came served in a snifter. Very attractive. Deep and dark orange in the glass. Just about a finger's worth of light white head. Thin lacing throughout the experience.

S: I'll admit smelling this beer got me really excited to taste it. All the citrus components were present, esp. grapefruit. There's some subtle sweetness on the nose, too. Appearance and smell win the day with this one.

T: no big hop burst like one might expect with these bigger IPAs. Pleasant may be the word for it. Nothing remarkable in any direction.

M: nice and balanced. Thin to medium--call it light. Finish is not too bitter, but there's enough bitter here to remind you of what you're drinking.

D: hopheads are going to look for something else after a snifter of this one. That said, this truly is a center-of-the-road IPA worth the time if you ever come across it. Not spectacular, but pleasant. I think pleasant is the word for this beer. Pleasant and enjoyable. Perfectly serviceable. Cheers!

sopernicus, May 29, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

I'll preface this by stating up front I am not a "hop head", I generally prefer stouts and pale ales.

That said, I found this to be a very drinkable beer. It poured a nice burnt orange with a very heavy hops / citrusy smell. About a 2 finger head and nice lacing throughout.

The taste and mouthfeel were very mild compared to other IPA's I've had, and while I found that to be a plus, folks who like a real pronounced hop presence may be disappointed.

I found it to be a little sneaky for an 8% ABV, it drank very easily, and I could have had a few more with no problem.

mphopkins99, May 22, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a cloudy pale color with three fingers of head. Huge hop aroma that kinda knocks you on your ass. The taste doesn't stand up to the hop aroma. Very smooth and thick flavor. This beer hides it's alcohol extremely well, it doesn't taste nearly as alcoholic as it is.

The beer feels a little thick on the tongue. I've never had an IPA that had this little hop character.

degerbah, May 21, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a hazy orange/dark color with whispy off white head.
Smells nicely of some bitter hop profile and some malt.
Tastes fantastically smooth with the right bitter flavor and malt profile to back it up.
Finish is muddy but is good with a bitter finish.
Very smooth as a result of its lighter body.

ThaBobfather, May 18, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -7.3%

Literally just bottled two days ago.
Purchased @ Schlafly Bottleworks yesterday.
From a 12oz bottle into a nonic.

A - Dark rusty/copper in color, white head which quickly vanishes, lots of bubbles rising after the head disipitates. Some lacing left behind from the head as well.

S - Not a whole lot of hops/citrus, really a slight amount. Nothing much else going on here.

T - Malts, slight hops.

M - Light in body with a good amount of carbonation that I'm satisfied with.

D - Easy to drink and a decent English IPA.

Sean9689, May 11, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Had this at the Bottleworks on tap.

I was really looking forward to trying this one. It had a nice clear brown color and an ample head. I did not catch much of an aroma from this, but my allergies have been bad and that may have been a factor. I really liked the body on this. It was full and effervescent. Nice flavor, very earthy. There is distinct hop bitterness but not in a bold manner. Slight alcohol taste but quite drinkable. There was also a mild oiliness to the texture.

Wheelinb, May 10, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -9.9%

I'm a Schlafly fan, so it's kind of a bittersweet feeling to review their Export IPA. I was expecting much more of a hop influence in this beer than what was put forward and in many ways I felt it to be the lightest mild of IPA I've had in the past. This, of course, differs greatly from IPA's I've had in the past from the tap room, so it's odd to me that the bottled export IPA would lack so much.

I'd have to put this IPA on the same comparable plane as that of Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams. Perhaps this is what people want and I'm simply looking for something more power packed. I sort of expect it from an IPA, but perhaps what I desire is more a double IPA rather than a traditional. Still Goose Island has produces and IPA I consider better than the Schlafly offering.

charliedango, Jan 13, 2009

12 oz into snifter

Clear, golden, modest white head dissipates and leaves a ring around the edge. Thick lacing.

Floral, citrusy hop nose, some sweetness sneaking in there. Balanced upon first impression. Not much legs.

Follows the nose with citrusy hop flavors, more sweetness than in the nose, and a clear but restrained bitterness all hitting up front. Some slight bitter dryness in the finish, but not that thick hop coating on the back of your tongue that I have come to expect from this style. Pretty smooth and balanced. Alc well hidden.

Mild effervescent feeling and warming, thin coating of the mouth, somewhat dry finish. Medium bodied.

For an 8% Imperial IPA, it goes down very easily. The size is well disguised and someone unaware could end up sessioning this gal and getting loaded.

sprucetip, Dec 11, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +12.4%

Cloudy pale gold with big white head that laces down the mug nicely. Bold spicy bitter taste with sweet chewy malt balancing and alcohol on the finish. Goes down smooth with a full bodied taste. This is a heavyweight in the category. Very good but @ $11.99/six, not something I would run out to buy again.

John1985, Nov 11, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz bottle (bottled 18th April 2008) received from hwwty4 in the GBU BIF. Thanks, Bill! Into my Duvel tulip

A: Clear orange with a thin white head that's rather dense. There's a good deal of yeast left in the bottle and I threw it in for good measure

S: A combination of citrus, earthy and spicy hops with the earthy character being most dominant. Mildly leafy and resiny. Some malt sweetness in the back with a caramel character. Pretty solid!

T: A balance of malty sweetness and a citrus hop character up front with the spicy, leafy hops appearing mid-palate and lingering on in the finish. A little sweeter than I'd like but that's just me

M: Solid carbonation and a nice, hoppy finish

D: I'm enjoying this, I think I'd drink another if i had one on hand

DefenCorps, Oct 11, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Got this bottle as a surprise from lightindarkness, cheers Christian!

Pours a beautiful, light, slightly hazy amber. Has an amazing full white head that really stays around for the entire glass! A simple ring denotes each hearty sip.
Smell is sweet citrus and flowering hops with a hint of spice.
Taste is a battle with the light malt and grain flavors getting totally pummeled by a sweet hoppy spice. Hard to pin down the sweet spicy flavor, kind of like teriyaki? Not a bad profile, but could use a little something to tie it together.
Mouthfeel is light with tiny bubbles, a little sticky on the finish, just like my glass!
My tasting of this beer probably suffered from the constant eye treatment I kept giving it. Really, the looks were spot on for the style, perfect. Like trying to talk to a beautiful woman, it was hard to keep focused. This brewery goes on my to visit list.

jraycee, Sep 17, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +19.1%

12oz bottle poured into a large wine glass.

A: A really good looking beer. Sparkling orange color with a thick off white head. Like beaten egg whites and some of the stickiest clingy lacing Ive seen in a beer. Top notch appearance.

S: Good amount of hops, primarily citrus. The malt is there but dominated by grapefruit and orange flavors. Not overdone but the proper invitation of hops, like an American IPA more than the other side of the pond.

T: First is the malt and then the spices of the hops completely dominate the flavor. Good balance that is more a swapping of dominant flavor than it is a melding of the two. Something of a breadiness but really a see-saw of bitter hops and then malt, than hops, than caramel, than grassiness. A golden adventure. I like it.

M: Fairly chewy and considerably spicy. Long bitter finish of an American style IPA. Alcohol completely hidden, completely.

D: Outstanding beer, first Ive had from this brewery and if I could get them in Jersey, they'd have me sold. I dont think it is the role model of an English IPA, but one tasty hoppy beer.

marcpal, Sep 15, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Schlafly Export India Pale Ale pours a light golden orange with a long lasting, froathy white head. Intial smell comes off piney with aromas of bitter and hops. The taste is moderately hoppy with a lingering bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light, smooth, and sports a mellow carbonation. Overall drinkability is good for the most part; its light, smooth, and easy to drink. I dislike the lingering bitterness, but that fades as beer gets to the bottom. A decent pick if I was looking for a lightly hopped beer, but ultimately not a go to choice for fulfilling a hop craving.

AMo, Sep 15, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my New Belgium globe. This beer pours a golden yellow color with nice sticky lacing that clings to the glass. The aroma is sweet tangerines, a bit of pine, and just a hint of malt. The taste reminds me a water downed orange juice with just a hint boozy goodness in the finish. The mouthfeel is thin and the bitterness doesn't linger the way most IPA's do. Its drinkability is good but I think that they could have amped up the body as they took the ABV to 8%.

hwwty4, Sep 15, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Standard 12 oz. bottle, brought back from the Bottleworks location. Label as pictures above.
Bottled on date.
Poured a bright copper orange color, with a solid, foamy white head. Thin sticky lace sheets.
Has a very good IPA aroma, grapefruit and orange, slightly earthy, and some caramel malt.
Taste has some earthy hop bitterness, lots of caramel malt keeps everything in balance. Clean flavors, crisp and dry finish. Good level of carbonation, smooth, nice body. High (8%) alcohol is hidden, very drinkable. This would be a for-sure-go-to beer if it were available to me locally.

BigBry, Sep 15, 2008