Schlafly Raspberry Hefeweizen - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

Our Raspberry Hefeweizen is a true fruit beer, not a fruit-flavored beer. We add pureed raspberries to our Hefeweizen during the primary fermentation process. Although we add no sugar, color or flavors, the resulting beer is a hazy pink color, with citrus aromas from the wheat and a flavor that is neat and tart. While this beer is low in bitterness, it is not overwhelmingly sweet, making it a thoroughly drinkable beer for the season.

In Belgium, fruit beers are quite popular and brewers often include wheat, along with malted barley. While our Raspberry Hefeweizen is not a true Belgian fruit beer, we have carried on the tradition of adding real fruit to fermenting beer. Today, many beers with fruit character are made with a fruit extract; we prefer to use the actual fruit to avoid any chemical or artificially sweet undertones in the beer.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-28-2003)
Reviews by bort11:
bort11

3.7/5  rDev +14.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a standard shaker pint glass. The head starts off a very fizzy white tinged pink. Not much head retention, but there is moderate strings of lace. Body color is a hazy orange with a purple/pink tint. It sort of reminds me of a ruby red grapefruit mimosa.

The raspberry smell is not as strong as I expected, yet there is more wheat that I expected. I was totally expecting the raspberries to be overpowering. I think the wheat cuts the berry tartness with it's own mild lemon tartness. The raspberry tastes more like fresh squeezed juice instead of a syrupy mess. I don't know that I get any "Hefeweizen" character in the taste. Yeast flavors seem to have been filtered out or overpowered by the berries. I suspect it is more likely to be a standard wheat ale with berries added.

My fear with fruit beers, that the juice is condensed to a syrup. I am happy to report that this is actually a very light bodied beer. At 3.9% ABV it is even sessionable. I am not a huge fruit beer fan, but this is quite good.

04-15-2011 01:17:24 | More by bort11
77apm

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%

05-05-2014 17:40:45 | More by 77apm
merlin48

Kentucky

3.18/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz bottle pours the color of blush wine. One finger pinkish to coral head quickly falls. Some patchy lace left behind. Shimmering carbonation is apparent through the hazy body. Aroma is subdued, raspberries, wheat, and yeast. Mouthfeel is lightbodied with crisply aggressive carbonation. Taste is subdued, Lively carbonation is the dominant trait. Hints of raspberry, yeast, and grainy wheat. No fruit sweetness. Finishes clean and crisp. Refreshing, but insubstantial. A run of the mill, American fruit beer.

07-23-2006 19:26:57 | More by merlin48
Dusty278

1.83/5  rDev -43.5%

A - Cloudy and orange, not much head.

S - Smelt strongly of raspberry.

T - Could taste the yeast and wheat and a bit of an unpleasing raspberry flavor.

M - Average, balanced carbonation.

D - I wouldn't reccommend it and I certainly won't buy another. This is the only disappointment I have had with Schlafly however.

08-20-2008 05:46:15 | More by Dusty278
yankeeheel

Maine

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a kool-aid red with a smallish fizzy white head. Smells of raspberry but doesn't try to jump out of the glass at you. Tastes mildy sweet with the obvious fruit dominating. Solid wheat body gives it a lift. Mouthfeel is moderate but it would be hard for me to drink more than one of these.

09-28-2004 21:42:20 | More by yankeeheel
KirkFrancis

07-02-2014 03:32:06 | More by KirkFrancis
smc143

2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

I bought a 6 pack of this beer from Cellar Rat in the Crossroads. I really should have known better. I don’t do fruit beers, typically.

It doesn’t really taste like beer with a raspberry tang as much as it tastes like a beer cocktail with raspberry flavored soda. I didn’t hate it. I didn’t love it. I drank one, and left the other 5 in my fridge, hopefully to offer to a more girlier girl than me.

It smelled a little sweet, like raspberry candy, when I opened it. It poured into my glass pink (pink!) but with mild cloudiness and beer-like qualities, so it didn’t look like pink lemonade or anything. It settled to a orangey-pink color with a light pink head of foam. The flavor of the beer wasn’t raspberry, as in fresh raspberries, but rather raspberry-flavoring, like Kool-Aid. Kind of artificial. There were underlying beer flavors, to be sure, like some yeast and malts, and the slightest twinge of wheat.

To be fair, I don’t like raspberry beers brewed by other brewers either, so I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it. I guess I was trying to keep an open mind. The answer is that I still don’t like it.

11-13-2007 18:34:15 | More by smc143

ianjsullivan

Maryland

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

ST: 12oz. No ABV. BOD.

A: Hazy, light pink with a half-a-finger-nail halo of quickly vanishing white head. The head leaves thin lacing behind.

S: Sweet raspberries, wheat, (raspberry cheesecake).

T: Fairly sweet in the opening, the tart qualities of the raspberries show up in the middle along with a dry biscuit. Some of the sweetness returns along with spice (clove perhaps) in the finish.

M: Medium and dry.

O: By itself, nothing is wrong with Schlafly's hefe. It is not too sweet, and it is refreshing. The qualities of a hefe are taken over by the raspberry, but not enough to make the beer terrible. Yet, when I compare it with Harpoon's similar creation, the beer does not succeed as well. As is often the fate with many beers, this one is drinkable, perhaps pleasant, but it is not moving.

05-13-2012 02:19:44 | More by ianjsullivan
sgttibbs

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%

06-12-2014 01:15:13 | More by sgttibbs
Schlafly33

06-07-2013 14:12:04 | More by Schlafly33
pmcadamis

3.05/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours red-amber with a decent one finger head and small amounts of lace.

Smells basicaly like raspberry candy and malt. Nothing too complex going on, and I sure don't smell any typical hefe smells (no banana, clove, yeast, ect).

Tastes like it smells. Again, no real hefe character, just sweet raspberry candy at first and a sharp twang near the end (like eating a real raspberry). Sweet and malty, but pretty one sided (as are most non-lambic fruit beers that I've tried).

Mouthfeel is medium and chewy, and drinkability is okay but I wouldn't really drink more than say...two or three. A good fruit beer for the novelty of it's raspberry flavor, but this is nothing special.

10-21-2006 13:18:19 | More by pmcadamis
secondtooth

Indiana

3.53/5  rDev +9%

Murky, cloudy pink-hued gold, with a rich head of fine white bubbles. Loopy lace.

Aroma is raspberry, and maybe a little yeast/grains coming in underneath.

Taste is full-steam-ahead tart raspberries. No surprises. A sharp, unfiltered wheat zing is in there somewhere, too. Still, this one's all about the raspberries.

Not bad, but not one I'd soon return to, either.

05-05-2011 02:33:42 | More by secondtooth
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Picked this up for the wife, but I'll give it a shot:

Pours a pink tinged amber with 3 fingers of beige head. Not much lacing or head retention

S: Raspberry, apple & a slight yeasty twang

T: Berry sweetness, slight breadyness & a bit of tartness up front. Dryness, tartness &

MF: Light bodied with moderate carbonation, becomes a bit watery at the end

Drinks alright, but doesn't really hold my interest, might work with pork, chicken or seafood

04-27-2009 04:37:51 | More by russpowell

leinie13

12-04-2011 23:18:48 | More by leinie13
GeoffRizzo

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

The now-limited-bottle version of this ale pours a beauty of a rosy red, semi-cloudy hue. The head is off-white and minimal, but the color sure is unique. Some raspberry notes and citrus on the nose. The body is creamy up front, the raspberry presence is quite noticeable, almost a jelly on hot toast taste. Malt presence as she warms, becomes somewhat tarty and rounds out a bit. Perhaps some wheat notes, yeast and toasted bread in the body, again very creamy and sharp. This is a tough style to nail, but Schlafly is tracking with this one; looking forward to sampling a few pints on tap, until then, a great offering for the hot weather, can you say "change of pace".

06-12-2004 02:35:20 | More by GeoffRizzo
KTCamm

Single bottle poured into a pint glass. 10/28

Pours a darkish pink brown. Fake looking, off color. Light fruity sweetness apparent. Pixie stickish, Fruit forward taste, some subdued tartness. Odd bitter. Then a clear close, more watered than anything. Label says 'real fruit' but I'm not a believer. Not quite right.

11-23-2013 19:25:53 | More by KTCamm