Schlafly Oatmeal Stout - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 07-09-2002

Our Oatmeal Stout is a classic British-style stout brewed with flaked oatmeal and roasted barley. Freshly-roasted coffee beans, cocoa and touches of raisin and dried fruit dominate the aroma of this super dark ale. The richness of the grain blend is balanced by the nutty character of the roasted malt, the creaminess from the oatmeal flakes and a dose of hops.

Before the 19th century, all barley was malted over wood-fired kilns and the resulting dark roasted malt defined the browns, porters, and stouts of England. Near the end of the 19th century, brewers had introduced oats for their purported restorative and nourishing characteristics, producing beers such as oatmeal stout and milk stout. By the 1950’s, Oatmeal Stout had nearly trickled out of existence. Following the beer’s literary rebirth in the articles of English beer writer Michael Jackson in the 1970’s, British and American craft brewers are once again promoting the style.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 647 | Reviews: 252
3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

On-tap at my Wedding Rehearsal Dinner @ Schlafly Tap Room.

A - Pours a muddled darker brown color, cream-colored head.

S - Bitter malts, light roast, some chocolate. Tastes "old" and "stale" to me and I know this has tasted better previously. Not sure what is up...

T - Similar to the nose, slightly more watery. Old coffee, burnt malts, some cream, light roast. Alcohol is hidden. Finish is toasted oats and chocolate.

M - Light body (too thin), good carbonation, creamy finish.

O - This beer has been better in the past, for sure. Not sure if it's a bad batch or the recipe has changed, but I wasn't digging this one as much as I had in the past.

3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

Aroma - Nutty scent, a bit muffled though. Hazelnut or almond, a theme of roastedness (smokiness?) comes through

Mouthfeel - Relatively light in body for what I was expecting, pretty lightly carbonated without much creaminess.

Appearance - Poured to dark mahoghany, with some light still making it through a regular pint glass. Little head initially, a slight amount hanging around without lacing.

Taste - Some burnt malt taste, the nuttiness is covered by the bitterness from the malt. Some smokiness seems to creep in, maybe a bit of smoked malt.

Drinkability - Pretty drinkable, light in body wouldn't make it sit too heavy but this isn't all that great a flavor. 3 or 4 and done, but rather stop at 1.

Overall - doesn't really seem all that true to style being a bit too light in body and having more bitterness than expected. Don't get the expected silkiness in mouthfeel. Bit of a disappointment.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The first thing you notice upon pouring this beer is just how dark it is. Almost black, there is no transparency through the glass. The head is dense and rocky that was about 2" thick. It took a while for it to dissipate to finger-width, and then lingered to a thin lace. Not much smell, but what is there is nice and faint. It doesn't smack you in the face like many other brews. The taste left me a little dissapointed. At first, there is a nice oatmeal sweetness, but once that fades there is a very strong taste of unsweetened coffee - which I don't like. The mouthfeel is on the thin side, but it has a nice coating. Drinkability is high if you like the taste of coffee, but if you don't it is very hard to drink just one. I made that mistake.

I'm sure there are much better stouts out there.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

Bottle courtesy of gregis. thanks!
Pours basically black with a fluffy tan head. Light to moderate smell of dark roasty malt, a hint of coffee and almost a light skunk smell in the background. Taste is semi dry char, roast malt, and it has an appropriate level of carbonation. A touch thin in the body however, a lingering ashy, charred smokiness, rather than the oaty creaminess I expected. Not bad and an interesting Oatmeal Stout.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

12 ounce bottle into Barilla jar.

A: Dark dark with two finger tan head than has good lacing.

S: Burnt oakiness.

T: I get kind of an astringent oak flavor atop the coffee and chocolate but my taster may be a bit off today. end with a wierd bitterness.

M: Pretty nice for a stout.

D: Not too bad I'll try this one again and update my numbers if needed.

3.08/5  rDev -15.8%

Reviewed 11/15/2008 (Tap Sampler @ Schlafly Tap Room, St. Louis, MO):

Pours a red black brown color body, looks like a flat cola with a tannish head. Oatmeal, coffee aroma. Some alcohol in the nose too. Effervescent. Coffee taste, some liquor taste like whiskey. Watery taste, almost like a porter, but it does have that taste of a stout, almost. Some bitter chocolate taste. Maybe some oatmeal in the taste too.

3.09/5  rDev -15.6%

I had this fresh from the Schlafly brewery aka The Tap Room. It poured w/ a foamy head and was a deep black liquid. I took a deep breath and it smelled light, very little smell. It is highly carbonated though, reminded me of a pepsi for a moment. The taste is mild, i've had much better oatmeal stouts. I would drink it again, but it didn't win me over like I had hoped. It had the aftertaste of coffee grinds, overall I was a bit disappointed. As you can see from my rating above...

3.09/5  rDev -15.6%

This oatmeal stout pours handsomely, a rich, deep, very dark brown body capped by one finger of mocha head. The smell is a definite letdown--a bit of roasted caramel and chocolate, some nice oats, and nothing else--too faint, not enough of what is there. The taste salvages it somewhat, with good roasted chocolate most prominently represented. Still, as with other Schlafly beverages I've tried, what flavor is present is good, but there's not enough of it to go around. That is, the flavor is too subtle--not good for stout, or anything really--particularly when it lacks complexity.

It's not difficult to drink a couple of these back-to-back, but I wouldn't be interested. Not enough about this grabs me. I'm far from compelled to grab another. Decent, but a bit of a letdown, mediocre compared to many other stouts--Samuel Smith's for starters. Then again, aren't most?

3.1/5  rDev -15.3%

A - Poured brown into a snifter. Almost black in the glass, tan 1/2 inch head.

S - Roasted barley, burnt malt

T - Burnt malt and bitterness dominate. One dimensional. Good, but lacking complexity and balance. The hops have taken this stout hostage.

M - Soft and smooth. Moderate carbonation, light to medium body.

D - Drinkable, but I'm unlikely to get more of this.

3.11/5  rDev -15%

S - 12 oz. Bottled with love on Aug. 09, 2006.

A - Pours a deep brown with hints of deep deep red around the edges. Head is about 2 fingers at first and takes about 5 minutes to get down to a thin unbroken layer covering the surface.

S - malty, caramel, roastiness, hints of coffee that arent overwhelming, slight sour note. Hint of fruit, something like plum or some other darker fruit. Not bad besides the sour hit, which was pretty offsetting, at first smell I thought I smelled hot dog too? I dont know, it went away after a few seconds, maybe a fluke.

T - Malty sweetness, little fruity note, prominent coffee character, a nice finish with slight hoppy bitterness. Caramel also makes an appearance but isnt that significant. Really not that impressed. Average to below average.

M - A little watery for an oatmeal stout. Expected it to be creamy but it was much more watery than that. Wasn't that impressed, pretty average.

D - Considering the lightness of this stout, I would say you could easily down a sixer of these no problem besides the taste flaws that may stunt that. Decent beer at best, overall.

3.11/5  rDev -15%

a: pours black with a thin brown head, no lacing.

s: pretty weak, mostly some roastieness.

t: some roasted malt, a little oat and a little hop.

m: lackluster. body feels awful thin and watery for a stout. goes down easy. carbonation is lacking.

o: average at best.

3.11/5  rDev -15%

Pours a dark brown, almost black. A little bit of light tan head that dissipates quickly but does leave some lacing. Smell is roasted malt and not much else. Taste is similar - after you get beyond the base caramel malt flavor, there isn't much else going on. No significant hop presence, even for an oatmeal stout. It is very smooth and easy drinking, but the smell and taste won't compel me to want to drink that many.

Overall I'm a bit disappointed. I've had, and loved, Schlafly's coffee stout, but the oatmeal stout isn't cutting it for me. There just isn't much to it.

3.13/5  rDev -14.5%

Sampled at Schlafly's Tap Room at the St. Louis Airport. Served in a frosty mug - which really sucked. No head. Hardly any aroma. Smoky, sooty taste with nothing in the way of oatmeal sweetness or smoothness. Lingering aftertaste that was decent but slightly reminiscent of Dr. Pepper (corn syrup). This was disappointing. It had that unpleasant tar and meat quality found under the surface in so many American micro stouts. The description said: "this stout has sweetness from caramel malt, and bitterness from roasted barley..." which doesn't make sense to me, unless they threw in some unmalted roast barley, but that seems unlikely. If in St. Louis, Morgan Street Brewpub has a better stout.

3.13/5  rDev -14.5%

12 oz. bottle, bottled on Sep 19 2006. Very dark brown in color with only slight ruby edges. Thick tan head, which holds together well. Roasty aroma, a bit of chocolate, caramel, and fruit. Roasty flavor, but not very strong, or bitter. Hints of vinous fruits. Pretty smooth. Seems thin and a bit watery. Dry finish, with just a touch of bittersweet chocolate. A few scattered patches of lace are left on the glass near the end. Flavors seem very weak and mild in this one, which could make it a session ber, but not very exciting. Rather disappointing to me.

3.13/5  rDev -14.5%

Roasted coffee aroma with no hop character. Dark brown, black, color, but very crisp. Caramel malt is evidenced, with some bitterness from dark malts. Hop bitterness becomes more evident on the finish. Medium bodied with a pleasant hop bitterness to cleanse the palate. Not a "big stout". Very balanced grain bill as the dark malts do not dominate the palate. This isn't your normal stout.

3.16/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured from a bottle into a standard.

Appearance: Pours a very dark brown with some red at the edges when light comes through. There is a finger and a half of light tan head with decent retention.

Smell: Not super strong. Roasty with a dark fruit note.

Taste: Up front this tastes like a very nice, roasty oatmeal stout. There are some mildly tart dark fruit notes that combine with the roast and remind me slightly of blue cheese. I don't think the bottle was bad, I just think the background flavors weren't my thing.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very smooth carbonation and a dry finish. Feels nice.

Overall: I would have liked this to be a little bit smoother. Not bad, but I don't think I'll search out another.

3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

Had on cask at the Schlafly Tap Room in St. Louis.

Beer poured a nice dark brown, almost black. Very little head.

Beer smells very roasty like most oatmeal stouts, but nothing special.

The taste is very pleasant with the roasted malts and a hint of caramel flavors. A bit sweet.

The mouthfeel was dissapointing. The beer was a bit too thin and watery for an Oatmeal stout.

All in all, an OK beer.

3.19/5  rDev -12.8%

A: For a stout, this is pretty light. I can see red hues all over the glass and some straight through it. Decent off white head and some pretty good lacing.

S: Big time creamy maltiness. Sweet, malted chocolate balls.

T: Knd of blah. Not alot going on here. Expected malt sweetness, decent bitterness to balance. There is some bite from the carbonation.

M: Thin and the flavor profile leaves me desiring something rich and bold. Mush to be desired here.

O: THis stout leaves much to be desired. I am not sure if my palate is used to something ore over the top/kick in the face, or not, but I would not purchase again.

3.19/5  rDev -12.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Nice dark brown with a somewhat ruby tint when held to the light. Leaves a 1.5 finger tan colored head the leaves very nice lacing down the glass.

S: Pretty faint smell, but what is there is malt and cocoa.

T: Toasty with some cocoa/coffee and a bit of hop bitterness.

M: Slightly thin and overly carbonated with a muddy finish.

D: Not much of a fan of this beer, the mouthfeel just kills it for me. If this beer was beefed up a bit with less carbonation it would be much better.

3.2/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Just an OK showing by Schlafly (kind of surprising, because I really like them). Here goes:

A: Best thing about the beer. Pours a massive head with great lacing. Rich black color with a red hue.

S: Very lackluster. Oatmeal is very faint; in fact, the beer smells like the estery brown ale that was my first home-brew (unnaturally sour and tart). Not good.

T: Not very good. Oatmeal is apparent, but the test is neither rich nor complex. It's very watered-down.

F: Watery.

O: Will not get again. Very disappointing

3.22/5  rDev -12%

On tap at Schlafly's at STL airport.

Pours dark brown, translucent and pale for the style, the head endures as a yellowed tan froth.
Nose of mild roast beans, cocoa, and smoked pulled beef.
Enters with a smoky chocolate and caramel nougat maltiness, but never ventures very sweet. Watery coffee hues take over. Some oat structure is noted, as the smokiness lingers, but the malt fairly falls off the bone, leaving a weak notion of caramel. Hops provide a concluding stalky dryness, but little associated flair, aside from a wavering astringency.
Thin and flaccid in the mouth, drinkable in gulps, but not particularly well-structured. It presents as a cross between an Irish Dry Stout and a Brown Ale.
A pleasant diversion while waiting for a flight, but that's about it.

3.22/5  rDev -12%

Dark brown color with a thin dirt brown head that quickly recedes to the glass edges.

Smells of roasty vanilla and oats. Every once and a while I got some deli meat juice scent. I kid you not.

Roasty bitterness enhances the sweet caramel and vanilla flavors. Chalky cola aftertaste. Mouthfeel was incerdibly smooth, but also thin.

Overall smooth and highly drinkable but the flavors are inconsistent from sip to sip.

via mphopkins99

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

Goliath thanks for the brew
Bottle poured into a sniffer produced a good finger worth of tan head that a became good layer of lace. All this on top of a black body

Aromas of hops, roasted malts and grain filled my nose

Heavily roasted flavor with just a touch of sweetness coming thru .Nice medium mouthfeel creamy as well

Not bad for a oatmeal stout and I say it about average in its drinkability

3.24/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer is dark brown, a bit light for a stout. There is a decent tan head. The smell of chocolate is inviting but the taste just doesn't live up to it. It is not really bitter, it's more of a sourness or sharpness. Maybe I just don't like the particular hops used. Or maybe they were just too skimpy on the fermentables. The mouthfeel is thin and sharp, and it is highly carbonated. Drinkability is average. Overall it is average, it just doesn't meet my expectations compared to other oatmeal stouts.

3.24/5  rDev -11.5%

Local grocery store started carrying Schlafly beer so I thought I would give it a try.

A: Poured into a tulip glass. Black like a stout should be. Slight reddish tint on the edge. I couldn't get a very big head on it, and it went away quickly. On my second bottle I did a hard pour and the head still disapated quickly. It did maintain some nice lacing though.

S: for the life of me, I couldn't get much aroma from it. The was a slight, slight hops bitterness and just a twinge of sweetness. My wife laughed at me because I had face buried into the tulip glass to get something. It didn't smell bad, it just didn't have much.

T: Very standard stout flavor. More bitter than sweet. Nothing really stands out. I think this would be better served with a meal.

M: Mouthfeel does stand out. Very smooth, almost silky. Not over-carbonated.

D: Overall, this is a pretty standard stout. You drink one and it's "Yup, that's a stout." I doubt I'll buy another 6er, but I might try it again if I eat at one of the Schlafly brewpubs the next time I'm in St Louis

Schlafly Oatmeal Stout from The Schlafly Tap Room