Schlafly Oatmeal Stout - The Schlafly Tap Room

good

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  5.70% ABV

Our Oatmeal Stout is a classic British-style stout brewed with flaked oatmeal and roasted barley. Freshly-roasted coffee beans, cocoa and touches of raisin and dried fruit dominate the aroma of this super dark ale. The richness of the grain blend is balanced by the nutty character of the roasted malt, the creaminess from the oatmeal flakes and a dose of hops.

Before the 19th century, all barley was malted over wood-fired kilns and the resulting dark roasted malt defined the browns, porters, and stouts of England. Near the end of the 19th century, brewers had introduced oats for their purported restorative and nourishing characteristics, producing beers such as oatmeal stout and milk stout. By the 1950’s, Oatmeal Stout had nearly trickled out of existence. Following the beer’s literary rebirth in the articles of English beer writer Michael Jackson in the 1970’s, British and American craft brewers are once again promoting the style.

(Beer added by: maxpower on 07-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

12oz brown bottle with pry-off cap. Freshness date found on bottle.

Pours pitch black with a tan head a little less than one finger thick. Head doesn't last very long and leaves some bubbly lacing that sinks pretty quickly. While everything last it looks pretty good.

Smells of sweet coffee, faint hops, faint roasted malts. A very sweet aroma, but isn't very strong.

Tastes of mildly roasted coffee, roasted malts leaning towards a chared taste. Pretty sweet up front with some mild hop bitterness coming through in the end. Would probably be better if there were more bitterness in the end to counter the sweetness of the malts. Tastes a little different at the bottom of the glass than it does at the top, but the variation is pretty small.

Mouthfeel stands out as creamy, with a perfect level of carbonation for the style. Fairly smooth.

Drinkability is pretty high for a stout. This brew is very easy to drink, though since it's a stout it's going to be pretty filling. Could easily drink a couple of these in one setting.

Notes: My first oatmeal stout, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I still liked it. It's kind of funny to me that this style of stout is sweeter than any sweet stout I've ever tired. A sweet, mild stout, that tastes pretty good and is easy to drink. I'd reccomend it.

Hatch, Feb 13, 2008
3.65/5  rDev 0%

This has a small head, with a black appearance. It's smell is faint, with hops and coffee coming out the most predominantly. It tastes of burnt malts and coffee. It has a slick mouthfeel and is easy to take down.

Overall, this is a pretty good stout. It is easy to have a couple of these in a night. I've had it on tap a couple of times and in bottle...not the best stout by any means, but definitely not the worst.

birchstick, Feb 10, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

A- Pours a very dark brown with a pretty thick, tan head. Left virtually no lacing however.

S- Smelled of chocolate and roasted grains. Not a very strong smell however.

T- Tasted decent. Noticed some chocolate flavor, a roasted flavor was very noticeable as well. Sort of sweet, without much bitterness at all. It wasn't as strong tasting as I had hoped for a stout.

M- Light, smooth finish.

D- Definitely very drinkable. It did fill me up pretty quickly; after a couple I was feeling pretty full. Like I said before, I was expecting a little more taste out of it, but I think it was worth buying.

schanker21, Feb 05, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to Bort11 for this bottle.

Pours a brown/black color with light only penetrating the edges of the glass. There is about an inch of light tan head on this one. Very little lacing.

The smell is a little faint, imo. What I do get is some chocolate, very light coffee, and a grainy scent that just doesn't fit.

The flavor is mainly of the dark roasted, somewhat burnt malts. A little bit grainy, also. Not bad, but not quite what I was expecting from an oatmeal stout. No sign of the oats anywhere.

Fuller side of medium bodied, with light carbonation. The aftertaste is of those burnt malts. Not bad, but I don't know if I would purchase it if I saw it.

Imstillthegman, Jan 25, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +21.9%

Missouri borders my state...and I can't find this stuff anywhere around home. I'm surprised ther aren't more "wants" for this beer with thier limited disribution area.

As a truck driver, I loaded pallets at the brewery, and that is the only reason I even know of this beer.

Dock workers gave me a sixer to take along and sample when I got off-duty.

Drank straight from the bottle, but saw it poured in a glass in the restaurant, and it was nice and dark with an awsome deep baige two and a half / three finger head (out of a tap).

The smell for me, was good and strong. I caught a slight wiff of everything in the beer besides the alcohol.

The taste knocked me off my feet. Creamy, dark AND dark and creamy...everything I love about an oatmeal stout.

The mouthfeel went hand in hand with the taste. Thick and creamy.

The drinkability was as expected for a thick dark beer; no gas to fill you up, and lingering goodness to keep you asking for another.

Love it!

"Hey Schlafly...can we get a little distrabution in north-east Iowa please"!?!

WhiteDog2006, Jan 19, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

On tap at the Brewhaus, Springfield IL.

Sheets of spotty eggshell lacing around the wall of the glass. Body is an opaque black. Rings form on the sides as the glass is emptied.

Very mild roast to the aroma, too subdued for my taste. Mild bitterness on the end, with a subtle roast malt middle. Light feeling, not too thin or watery. Oatmeal isn't a major contributor in the body. It's light enough to session, bu tI moved on to something else.

emerge077, Dec 31, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a 12oz. brown bottle into a pint glass. This beer pours beautifully, a rich dark brown when pouring turns into a deep brown/black color in the glass. I was a little disappointed by the thin head, but what're you going to do... Smells like sweet roasted grains and coffee. A decent taste that starts sweet and ends slightly bitter. The mouthfeel was impressive, nice and bubbly for a stout. A decent oatmeal stout, but not my favorite.

kguyty, Dec 28, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -15.1%

This oatmeal stout pours handsomely, a rich, deep, very dark brown body capped by one finger of mocha head. The smell is a definite letdown--a bit of roasted caramel and chocolate, some nice oats, and nothing else--too faint, not enough of what is there. The taste salvages it somewhat, with good roasted chocolate most prominently represented. Still, as with other Schlafly beverages I've tried, what flavor is present is good, but there's not enough of it to go around. That is, the flavor is too subtle--not good for stout, or anything really--particularly when it lacks complexity.

It's not difficult to drink a couple of these back-to-back, but I wouldn't be interested. Not enough about this grabs me. I'm far from compelled to grab another. Decent, but a bit of a letdown, mediocre compared to many other stouts--Samuel Smith's for starters. Then again, aren't most?

Gehrig, Dec 21, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Sample at the Lambert St. Louis airport location. The beer is a nearly opaque dark brown color with a thick and foamy light beige head that burns off slowly. Patches of lacing on the glass. Aroma of roasted malt and milk chocolate, with a hint of mocha. Medium-bodied with a creamy mouthfeel. Sweet caramel malt, chocolate and grain flavors with traces of hops and coffee. The finish remains smooth (bordering on watery actually) and sweet with a lingering sweetness. Above average overall.

Dogbrick, Dec 18, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -20.5%

Wow it's been a while since I've reviewed, damn flu, but I'm back and ready for some quality brews.

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a dark molasses brown with a big two finger fluffy khaki colored head. Stickiness leaves its marks all over the sides of the glass, somewhat spotty, but good. Smell is well...bad. Metallic odor with a bit of cinnamon. Not the combination I'm looking for in an Oatmeal Stout. Maybe there's some hops in the nose too?...with a hint of nuttiness. Taste is a bit of smokiness with some sweet toasted oat flavors. Some interesting pine flavors seem to make an appearance midway through which are a bit disturbing. Aftertaste has a hint of woody vanilla with a bit of earthy flavors. Mouthfeel is pretty light with a good amount of carbonation. Just not really digging this one, could use a lot more sweetness whether it be oat, chocolate, or caramel flavors. Not one to seek out.

BeerTruth, Nov 13, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

Tried on tap at the bottleworks after a tour. This was a very dark brown almost black color, with a nice tan colored head. The smell is great, chocolate, oatmeal, roasted malts, all of the good stuff to be expected in a good oatmeal stout. The taste is great, very creamy and malty. An excellent oatmeal stout. I could drink these all days. A great buy for the buck.

mikescags, Nov 12, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

"Bottled With Love on OCT03 2007"

a: very dark brown, nearly black. creamy tan head covers the top my pint glass and doesn't let go, leaving good lacing

s: dark malt lends typical chocolate/coffee notes and I don't know that I can detect oats, but definitely some graininess.

t: tastes of roasted malt, much like the smell, sweet oates in there as well, no flavor is particularly intense. Finishes dry with a little hop bitterness.

m: lightly oily, with a dry finish. medium bodied and very smooth.

d: not particularly sweet, malty, hoppy or strong tasting this muted stout is smooth and very easy to drink.

BradLikesBrew, Oct 29, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours dark chocolate, with creamy tan head. Dissovles into a sheet of lace.

Smells of coffee, oats, and grain

Smooth, easy taste of coffee, and oats. A slight oily mouthfeel, but, normal for any atout I have had.

Finishes with a slight bitterness. Very drinakable oatmeal.

KI9A, Oct 11, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Date of 24 10 07 on the bottle. This comes courtesy of BARLEYWINEO!

Pours chestnut/mahogany with 3+ fingers of tan colored head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Coffee & cereal notes

T: Coffee ground & roasted malt, plus dryness up front. A bit of iron. Finishes roasty a little dry, with more coffee ground notes

MF: Smooth, oily, with medium carbonation

Drinks pretty good, a good starter oatmeal stout

russpowell, Oct 03, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a very dark brown to black color with an average sized, creamy, tan head. The head is mostly diminishing, leaving little to no lace. There were also some tiny brown particles which settled at the bottom of the glass. The smell is dominated by a roasted malt aroma, but I also picked up some dark bread and coffee tones as well. The hops came out herbal and the yeast lended an almost barnyard like quality to the nose. The taste was chocolate with mild coffee flavors. Also picked up some dark bread and enough of a herbal hop bitterness to balance it out. This was a medium body brew with a smooth texture and soft carbonation on the tongue.

Overall, this was a very easy drinking, if unspectacular beer. It was a good quality, smooth and well balanced brew. I would have no problem recommending this to anyone who favors stouts.

littleshamrocks, Oct 01, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

Couldn't believe I had not reviewed this beer when I looked, as I have had it several times both out of the bottle and on tap.

This edition from the bottle pours a deep, almost black, brown color with some ruby hues when held to light. Thick creamy light tan colored head that has great retention. In fact I left the room to see if I had reviewed this beer, came back ten minutes later to see still half the head still left along with some great lacing on the glass. Aroma is of roasted malt, bitter coffee, bittersweet chocolate, a bit nutty.

Taste is bitter from all of the roasted malt along with a touch of cocoa. The malt is also has a bit of a toasted character giving the beer a bit of a nutty characteristic noticed in the aroma. Hops are noticeable towards the finish. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth and medium to full. The finish is a bit dry. The first stout I have ever had besides Guinness and I have a soft spot for it, but not the best I have ever had. Still a decent beer from Schlafly.

hckyfn9999, Sep 28, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

Had this on tap at the Tap Room! Had a thick sandy brown head that stuck around for a few, then left with thick lacing that hung on the glass throughout the drink. Very dark brown in color with a hint of ruby red around the edges.Had a definate malty aroma with a underlying scent of coffee. The taste was sweet and malty with hints of toffee and a definate oaty finish. I liked this alot! Especially directly from the source at the Tap Room! Took home a growler of this to hold me over for a few days.... since I am only a 15 minutes from the brewery I will definately be getting more of this soon!

Tuey13, Sep 07, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

Darkish shoe leather brown, with brandyish edges and a finger of proud, light cocoa brown head. A little bit lighter than your typical oatmeal stout, but it looks nice nonetheless. Chocolate Twizzlers, dulce de leche, tobacco, and roasted malt bitterness on the nose.

Roasted bitterness up front, followed by toasted marshmallows and baking chocolate. Mild chocolate and fruit cake sweetness mid-palate. Dark chocolate bitter finish with a tartish, milk sugar edge. Moderate body that seems a little dry for the style. Not bad.

alexgash, Aug 29, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz bottle. The beer is deep brown in color with ruby tinges around the edges. A 2.5 finger tan head sits nicely over top of this one, falling to a towering compact island of foam over the beer. Clarity appears to be very good and there is a moderate carbonation apparent. The aroms brings roasty and nutty maltyness, a nice roundness, almost creamy from the oatmeal, with a kiss of coffee hiding in the background. The flavor is roasted and oaty up front, moving to a mild bitter and slightly pineyness from the hop, finishing with a hint of coffee and more bitter. As I swallow the beer, I get a bit of alcohol coming up into my sinus cavity, which detracts a little from the experience. Mouthfeel is moderate with a very minimal carbonation, with a hint of creamy texture to it. Overall, this is a fairly nice brew. It is one that would be easy to drink a few of.

kmpitz2, Aug 07, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +14.5%

The beer poured a dark-dark brown in the glass with a single finger, long lasting head. The smell was a bit weak, with just a hint of malt & sweetness.

The taste was dark & complex, with a bit of bitterness from burnt barley, but in a good way. The sweetness came on stronger as I finished my next swallow.

I actually lost my glass when I was half way done, but found it 4 hours later. At room temperature, the stout had mellowed even more and was more creamy, even with all the carbonation gone.

From now on, I'll be drinking my Schlafly's Oatmeal Stouts at a much warmer temperature.

nightcrawler, Aug 02, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance - no light getting through any part of the Belgian glass. A thick finger of light tan foam holds at a partial cover, leaving dotted lace behind.

Aroma - good roasted crystal malt nose, a robust grain staying around after things settle.

Taste - a good roasty level, minimal char. Not very intense but quite flavorful. Solid espresso notes, just a touch of burnt flavor, rather nice!

Mouthfeel - even, smooth, average body, right on. Carbonation is up there.

Drinkability -a most sessionable stout. Not overly filling but very tasty.

brewdlyhooked13, Jul 11, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -21.9%

This beer poured with a thin head, and caramel color.

Aroma is sweet, caramelly, and porter-like.

Mouth-feel is thick but not creamy, tasting a little of cocoa, a little sweet, and finishing rather bitter. This beer was incredibly fizzy for a stout as well.

As we drank this beer, I thought it was a little strong for the style - a little research on BA shows that it is 5.7% ABV.

Its ok, but with better oatmeal stouts available, I wouldn't buy it again.

Blupoet03, Jul 08, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -6.8%

Thanks to unclejedi for sending this one my way. Poured from a 12oz. brown bottle into my shaker "pint" glass. Appears a dark translucent brown color with about two fingers of bubbly, dark tan foam. Smells of roasted grains, coffee and a touch of sweetness. Tastes of lightly roasted coffee, and a hint of bittersweet cocoa. Medium in both body and carbonation. A pretty tasty example and one I'm glad I was able to try.

ClockworkOrange, Jul 06, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz bottle

have had this many times, and as is my last bottle until another trip to MO, I suppose I should review it.
pours a nearly black color, with a half inch of tan head. Decent retention. Random patterns of lace spot the glass here and there.

nose is a little lighter than desired. A little sweet, but with a fleeting roasted aroma and more coffee than expected (well, at least more than expected the first time - after this many times, I am hardly surprised by it!)
There is quite a bit of flavor here, but I find myself short of satisfied. Some earthy and even smoked malt flavors here. Nutty and some chocolate. Very lightly bitter, and subdued carmelized sugar sweetness. This is tasty, although maybe a touch below the residual sweetness I have expected from an oatmeal stout.

A little drying in the finish, and just short of the silkiness I have come to expect from the style. Pleasant carbonation on the low side, but the body feels a bit thin - too bad, as with the full flavors of this beer I think it could be very good with a little more to it.
Not available locally, and I never make a special trip for it, but I could session this oatmeal stout. If at the Taproom, I probably would session this stout. Haven't experienced it on cask, but can't wait to do so.

udubdawg, May 31, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -6%

A - Nice pitch black with a huge billowy light tan head.
S - light roasted barley malt with an underlying hint of oatmeal sweetness.
T - similar to the nose but with a bit of a chocolate note rounding out the brew.
M - medium bodied, nicely carbonated, smooth.
D - Nice with a barbeque chicken and potato dish.

A respectable local stout when in the area.

barleywinebrewer, May 25, 2007