Schlafly Oatmeal Stout - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 07-09-2002

Our Oatmeal Stout is a classic British-style stout brewed with flaked oatmeal and roasted barley. Freshly-roasted coffee beans, cocoa and touches of raisin and dried fruit dominate the aroma of this super dark ale. The richness of the grain blend is balanced by the nutty character of the roasted malt, the creaminess from the oatmeal flakes and a dose of hops.

Before the 19th century, all barley was malted over wood-fired kilns and the resulting dark roasted malt defined the browns, porters, and stouts of England. Near the end of the 19th century, brewers had introduced oats for their purported restorative and nourishing characteristics, producing beers such as oatmeal stout and milk stout. By the 1950’s, Oatmeal Stout had nearly trickled out of existence. Following the beer’s literary rebirth in the articles of English beer writer Michael Jackson in the 1970’s, British and American craft brewers are once again promoting the style.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlafly Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 647 | Reviews: 252
3.94/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle to glass stein.
Purple label. $6.97 a six.

A - Black ruby. Nice lacing. Nice 1 finger head that has decent rention.

S - Hint of smoke, and dark goodies. Sweet, bready goodness in the nose.

T - Taste bready, hints of lots of dark notes and chocolate. Smooth and thick to the teeth, But not thick when you drink it. Easy to get down. Smoke and tang aftertaste. But not overwhelming.

M - At first taste I thought it was rather thick. But then after a sitting it was brought to my attention that a few of these buggers could go down no problem. Definitly good. Thick tasting but not thick in reality. Could be better in this area but Its not lacking much at all.

D - Im going to say fairly high. Definitly surprized.

This one was different than alot of my other reviews. I though it was going to be dead on or fail for the class. It was different in a major way. I thought it was a thicker beer but it just tasted thicker than it actually was. Not complex. Full frontal easy to the new beer drinker or advocate for that matter.

I would buy again most likely for the price.
Although alot of seasonal stuff is out for spring time and I regret not getting some of that.

2.48/5  rDev -32.2%

Poured from a brown bottle with a weathered-looking yellow label.

A: Poured with a fairly small head. Dense and tan. The beer itself is a dark brown. Almost like a very dark root beer. Still allows quite a bit more light through it that I would have expected. Head dissipates quickly. No lacing.

S: Smells of sulphur. Metal smelling as well. Certainly sour, but not pronounced.

T: Roasty flavor with a touch of acidity initially. Has some chocolate tones, but rather than becoming sweet and rich, it turns somewhat salty and has aspects of watered-down beef bullion. Does finish bitter, but also on the salty side.

M: Not only a lot thinner and with less body than I was anticipating, but the carbonation is much more pronounced and distractingly prickly.

Overall: I though I might have picked up a bad bottle, but from reading some of the other reviews of this beer I'm not so sure that I did. In drinking this I'm wondering where the smoothness is. Where's the sweet and full flavor? This bears a lot more resemblance to a lager than an oatmeal stout. It's not that the beer is necessarily bad, but for the style it really misses the mark by a mile and that's what my scoring reflects.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

A - Pours a nice dark brown, almost black color with a tan head roughly 2 fingers in width. It fades rather quickly, but leaves good lacing.

S - Hints of cocoa powder, vanilla cream, coffee, and oats.

T - Strong presence of roasted malts that fade to chocolate and finish with coffee.

M - Although filling, it is relatively light for a stout beer; easy to drink with low-medium carbonation.

O - I wouldn't rank this as one of my favorite beers, but it is definitely note worthy and I would have no problem drinking more of these in the future.

3.57/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter.

A: It looks like a stout. Not much more. Opaque black body wit brown around the rims, a tan head that dissipates quickly leaving little lacing and all with no signs of life in the body. Cool.

S: A very beautiful and well-balanced aroma is slightly let down by how faint it is. Chocolatey malts bring a hint of coffee and roasted nuts with them and is offset by dried fruits, most notably raisins.

T: The dried fruits really dominate the taste. Raisins and dark cherries are ever present, with roasted malts becoming more of a back note here. It's not as well balanced as the aroma, but it's at least more powerful.

M: A slightly carbonated medium-bodied stout is creamy enough. It leaves a dry feeling as it lingers. Appropriate without being transcendent.

O: This is a decent oatmeal stout that doesn't really play up any oatmeal characteristics. It's a little creamier and more substantial, thankfully, but I don't get it anywhere else. Still, a fine and pleasant stout for any occasion.

4.14/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottles 2/10/05

Very deep, not quite opaque, red in appearance up close but black from a distance. One inch head sticks a little after it leaves maybe a bit too soon.

Smell is of fresh-roasted malts and oats with a hint of coffee. Very simple, yet very pleasant.

The oats and coffee come out in a nice blend in the taste that goes all the way down. Properly balanced taste all the way down, never overpowering.

Nice, moderate carbonation and a smooth feel make you want to keep it in your mouth a second to enjoy it longer. Consistency is a bit thin for the style for my taste but is no big problem.

I'd be good for drinking a couple or three of these with no problem. Nice session stout.

This may be a bit better on-tap at the Tap Room and I've never had cask beer but I could imagine it being great there as well (something I MUST try on my next trip to St Louis). A worthwhile oatmeal stout

3.76/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into pint mug.
A - Almost black color with nice 2 finger tan head.
S - Light aroma of chocolate and coffee.
T - Well balanced tastes of malt, chocolate and coffee.
M - Medium mouthfeel. Very smooth. Lighter than a lot of stouts.
D - This is a very drinkable stouts. This has been my 'go to' stout when I can't make up my mind!

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

At the taproom... ahhh the oatmeal stout is on the cask today...

Looks beautiful- completely dark, with a browned head. Less carbonation than on tap, but that fits with the conditioning in the basement. The smell is very nice- roast malts on the nose, and a little floral scent; The taste is wonderful; all the full roast, malty flavors you expect, but you can tell they did throw some dry hops in there in the cask; the amount and contribution to the flavor is perfect. Mouthfeel is great- nice and full and chewey. The appropriate level of carbonation and cellar temperature also add to the feel. The slightly 'beefy' feel to the bottled version is absent, and this makes it even better. Sooo easy to order another, then another, then a cab ride home.

Yeah, so overall, this is awesome. Really. The cask conditioning transforms this from a pretty good stout to a spectacular one. Definitely on the must try list.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Brewed on 3/29/2011

Aroma: Chocolate, bread pudding.

Appearance: Pours thick rocky mocha colored head. Good lacing. Black.

Flavor: Chocolate, light coffee. Warm bready notes. Low bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth. This beer glides over your tongue. Light fruitiness. Alcohol prickly.

Overall: Great mouthfeel and restrained roast. I would like to see a bit more complexity. A really nice example of the style.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Picked up a six pack of this in Jacksonville, Illinois. Nice brown label.

A: Nice dark appearance, with a nice two finger head.

S: Very good roasted, malty aroma.

T: Nice and smooth malty caramel flavor. Very good flavor.

M: Good.

D: Good beer overall, good example of an oatmeal stout.

As with the Coffee Stout I bought this from Schlafly Bottleworks on 5/9/2015 (bottled on 4/30/2015 and finished 5 minutes ago), I poured this into a thick panel mug. The thing I think I like the most about the last two oatmeal stouts that I've had from Schlafly is that they are actually just as easy to drink (or maybe easier to drink) the warmer they get.

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

Had this on tap at the Tap Room! Had a thick sandy brown head that stuck around for a few, then left with thick lacing that hung on the glass throughout the drink. Very dark brown in color with a hint of ruby red around the edges.Had a definate malty aroma with a underlying scent of coffee. The taste was sweet and malty with hints of toffee and a definate oaty finish. I liked this alot! Especially directly from the source at the Tap Room! Took home a growler of this to hold me over for a few days.... since I am only a 15 minutes from the brewery I will definately be getting more of this soon!

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown, not quite black. thin head fades quickly. Has a fruity, slightly oaty smell. Tastes roasty, sweet malt, slightly fruity finish. slightly spicy. Light bodied, medium carbonation. Tasty, well balanced, good mouthfeel. nothing fancy, but i like it.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a very dark brown to black color with an average sized, creamy, tan head. The head is mostly diminishing, leaving little to no lace. There were also some tiny brown particles which settled at the bottom of the glass. The smell is dominated by a roasted malt aroma, but I also picked up some dark bread and coffee tones as well. The hops came out herbal and the yeast lended an almost barnyard like quality to the nose. The taste was chocolate with mild coffee flavors. Also picked up some dark bread and enough of a herbal hop bitterness to balance it out. This was a medium body brew with a smooth texture and soft carbonation on the tongue.

Overall, this was a very easy drinking, if unspectacular beer. It was a good quality, smooth and well balanced brew. I would have no problem recommending this to anyone who favors stouts.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from the bottle into a small snifter. It pours opaque w/ some red tint. Has a slightly tan head w/ poor lacing & the head goes away quickly. The smell is of sweet malt, however this is a little low for me. There's a slight acidic bite & restrained hop to the nose. The taste is coffeeish, roasted malt, some espresso notes, & not as smooth as expected taking into account the flakes used to make this style. It's quite reserved but a decent stout. A slight lingering finish & has a good hop taste to it. Medium body & pretty drinkable. I wish it were more assertive, that would do wonders for this beer. I could have several of these in a setting. Prosit!

3.29/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours picture-perfect with tall, clinging tan head and dark body (black unless held to the light.

Smelled with a touch of the oats, malt, and very strong roasted odors. These totally dominated the taste to me, and the malts were not remarkable. I found the taste surprisingly simple, and I'm not a fan of the strong smoke component. Felt thin in my mouth for the style as well.

That said, it's pretty quaffable for the style.

3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

Aroma - Nutty scent, a bit muffled though. Hazelnut or almond, a theme of roastedness (smokiness?) comes through

Mouthfeel - Relatively light in body for what I was expecting, pretty lightly carbonated without much creaminess.

Appearance - Poured to dark mahoghany, with some light still making it through a regular pint glass. Little head initially, a slight amount hanging around without lacing.

Taste - Some burnt malt taste, the nuttiness is covered by the bitterness from the malt. Some smokiness seems to creep in, maybe a bit of smoked malt.

Drinkability - Pretty drinkable, light in body wouldn't make it sit too heavy but this isn't all that great a flavor. 3 or 4 and done, but rather stop at 1.

Overall - doesn't really seem all that true to style being a bit too light in body and having more bitterness than expected. Don't get the expected silkiness in mouthfeel. Bit of a disappointment.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%

a - This is a very dark beer but the head disappears quickly leaving almost nothing. Definitely a stout with that dark roast look. The little head is lacey though and hangs on to the glass.

s - Smells very roasty, malty, and some coffee.

t - Wow, .... you get a bang of coffee followed by chocolate with the deep roast and malts. You can tell the alcohol is there in your throat and belly.

m - This beer has a strange carbonation similar to soda but then it quickly turns back into a regular beer carbonation. Dry Stout feel throughout.

d - Stouts are my favorite - definately have several more to drink.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

A- Pours a very dark brown with a pretty thick, tan head. Left virtually no lacing however.

S- Smelled of chocolate and roasted grains. Not a very strong smell however.

T- Tasted decent. Noticed some chocolate flavor, a roasted flavor was very noticeable as well. Sort of sweet, without much bitterness at all. It wasn't as strong tasting as I had hoped for a stout.

M- Light, smooth finish.

D- Definitely very drinkable. It did fill me up pretty quickly; after a couple I was feeling pretty full. Like I said before, I was expecting a little more taste out of it, but I think it was worth buying.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

This stout is just on the verge of being a lesser beer.
L=dark brown/reddish color, thin lacey head that dissipates quickly
S= non descript typical malty - no sweet notes to mention
T = this is what saves this beer. The sweetness certainly comes through in the taste. Raisins, and tart/sweet/dried fruit flavor. The finish is rather bland - but I like it.
F= the carbonation is fine with this one...it doesnt detract from the experience.
O = I got this beer on a whim hoping to find the coffee/vanilla stout. Being that I like Sam Smiths Oatmeal stout I thought I would give this one a go.
This is my first experience with Schlafly beer - I will be buying more!

4.11/5  rDev +12.3%

The beer poured a dark-dark brown in the glass with a single finger, long lasting head. The smell was a bit weak, with just a hint of malt & sweetness.

The taste was dark & complex, with a bit of bitterness from burnt barley, but in a good way. The sweetness came on stronger as I finished my next swallow.

I actually lost my glass when I was half way done, but found it 4 hours later. At room temperature, the stout had mellowed even more and was more creamy, even with all the carbonation gone.

From now on, I'll be drinking my Schlafly's Oatmeal Stouts at a much warmer temperature.

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a bottle, brewed on 7/15/10 into a pint glass. I have had this beer many times, but this is my first time to review. Pours black, with just a touch of light peeking through. Not much lacing. Aroma and flavors are sweet, with oats, cocoa, and a touch of vanilla. Mouthfeel is thin with a low level of carbonation. ABV and mouthfeel combine to make this a drinkable stout, I never have a problem finishing 2 or 3 of these in a sitting. All said one of my favorites from Schlafly. Cheers!

3.99/5  rDev +9%

'Bottled with Love' on 2-18-2011.

Pour a clean, dark black with ruby red highlights when viewed in direct lighting. 1 1/2 inch tan head hangs around through my first few sips, then dissapates to a thin layer and ring with superb lacing.

Smells lightly of caramel sweets, nothing more.

Tastes very smooth with a perfect mixture of bitter and sweet as the raosted barley and oats battle for control. Very drinkable, very clean. Aftertaste is bitter....but good.

For a stout, this feels not as hearty as some others Ive tried and the carbonation is a little too crisp for my taste, but it is smooth.

Overall, this is a pretty good oatmeal stout. Nice balance, good flavor, good feel. I recommend it.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

a pretty good example of an oatmeal stout. It pours an initially large head which dissipates. Pretty smooth taste, easy to drink a couple of these. The smell is decent, I would have liked to find more of the caramel in terms of smell and taste though. Still, pretty easy to recommend this.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The first thing you notice upon pouring this beer is just how dark it is. Almost black, there is no transparency through the glass. The head is dense and rocky that was about 2" thick. It took a while for it to dissipate to finger-width, and then lingered to a thin lace. Not much smell, but what is there is nice and faint. It doesn't smack you in the face like many other brews. The taste left me a little dissapointed. At first, there is a nice oatmeal sweetness, but once that fades there is a very strong taste of unsweetened coffee - which I don't like. The mouthfeel is on the thin side, but it has a nice coating. Drinkability is high if you like the taste of coffee, but if you don't it is very hard to drink just one. I made that mistake.

I'm sure there are much better stouts out there.

3.4/5  rDev -7.1%

A- dark coca cola brown with thick rich head and lasting lace
S- faint hints of roast malt and a twinge of wheat
T- tasted like a stout with a grainy finish and malts weren't as pronounced
M- medium mouthfeel with a grain aftertaste
D- good drinkability for me. I would buy this again as with most offerings from schafelys

Schlafly Oatmeal Stout from The Schlafly Tap Room