Schlafly Summer Lager - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Our Helles-Style Summer Lager is a bright, golden beer, perfect for summertime. The malts we use impart a wonderful, fresh grain character, reminiscent of European lagers. The German Noble hop, Mittelfrüh, lends a mild lemony, spicy flavor.

The German word “Helles” translates as “light” and “Lager” means “to store”. This beer style emerged in Germany through the Spaten Brewery’s marriage of British, Bohemian and German brewing techniques. This style is an integral part of brewing history and a predecessor of the straw-colored, light-bodied beers which are the most widely consumed beers in the world today. The lager yeast ferments the beer more slowly and at lower temperatures; it is then stored for maturation. This results in a beer which is more smooth and drinkable. Today, many American craft brewers offer this style as a maltier and hoppier alternative to American light lagers.

(Beer added by: Vancer on 04-14-2009)
Another6Pack

11-20-2011 15:55:01 | More by Another6Pack
roadies

4.75/5  rDev +34.9%

08-27-2012 21:10:13 | More by roadies
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.6/5  rDev +30.7%

Got a keg of this one on at home and it is not lasting long. The beer pours a light straw color. There is absolutely no haze in this one. A finger of white head falls to a brief cover over the brew, leaving a decent amount of sticky lace as it falls. This one fits right with what I expect for the style. The nose has some sweat fermenting dough qualities to it, with a light and crisp noble hop playing behind it. Things are pretty mellow in the aroma. The flavor brings more prevalence to the herbal noble hop sitting over the slightly sweet bready quality of the malt. It finishes with a crisp bitterness that hangs on beyond the final swallow of the beer. The mouthfeel is on the lighter end of moderate but with a moderate carbonation of very fine bubbles that really makes it feel light. The drinkability of this beer is second to none. At 4.5%, it is a true session beer. All aspects of the brew are mellow, but not boring at all. This is a style that needs to be made by more breweries. I might be putting in an order for another 50L of this one sooner than later.

07-10-2010 06:27:52 | More by kmpitz2

Maryland

06-03-2013 15:37:30 | More by Qstor
gofreaksgo

4.4/5  rDev +25%

A: What a great label. Very soothing summer tones of light blue with a crisp yellow. What does the beer look like? I don't know because all good lagers should be drunk from the bottle/can like I would at the beach/bbq/baseball game.

S: Stuck my good nostril (the right one) right on the edge of the bottle. Inhale deeply and I get sweet malts with just a touch of classic hops and a good skunk.

T: Crisp, clean, refreshing. Hint of lemon, sweet malt that sticks with you, just enough hop bitterness to remind you that it be a beer ye drinks.

M: This beer is clean and it coats the mouth. Saliva producer. My mouth literally is watering with anticipation of each swallow.

O: This is a great light beer. I anticipate transitioning out of my winter stouts with this beer every year. When I need something lighter with flavor I never hesitate to grab this beer. It is in my beer cooler and fridge for the whole summer.

04-08-2011 00:56:08 | More by gofreaksgo
1fastz28

4.38/5  rDev +24.4%

I'm really starting to fall in love with these Munich helles lagers, they are just so good. This one is being reviewed from the tap room on st.Louis on of my favorite places in the world. Has a light golden color with zero head on it, smell is kinda weak has. Tiny skunkiness to it like it should. Taste is awesome ,has the perfect mixture of malt and hops. This beer has a great mouthfeel and even better drinkability

07-04-2009 02:41:28 | More by 1fastz28
cubbyswans

4.33/5  rDev +23%

A: Pale color pours with a finger head. No haze to this beer. Looks exactly how I think a good lager should.

S: This has a nice light aroma. A touch of hop characteristic.

T: Tastes absolutely great for a summer lager. It has a nice hop flavor to it, and a touch of citrus as well.

M: The beer isn't watery. You know you're drinking a beer, yet it's not heavy. This is perfect for drinking on a hot summer day.

D: All around a great beer to me. They go down so smooth and the beer is very refreshing.

01-24-2011 17:10:49 | More by cubbyswans

03-26-2012 21:24:59 | More by fresham
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.22/5  rDev +19.9%

ligh tgolden color comes through right away. Really tight head of white that sits on top for what seems like forever but then suddenly dropped off leaving it all bare.

Nice touches of light bready malts, caramel, light grasses and a well rounded and nicely done hop profile. Warming brings out cereal grains, touches of light grass and a well carbonated and easily maintained profile

09-26-2011 01:20:23 | More by mikesgroove
woodychandler

4.2/5  rDev +19.3%

A gift to me after GTMW '10 from the dear Steven Hale. Some have remarked that I am like a gossip columnist, routinely name-dropping in the hopes of impressing people. F**k that! I am intimate with many/most in the beer industry. I talk the talk, but I also walk the walk. I first met Mr.Hale back in '03 when I badged my way in at the downtown Taproom. I never envisioned a return, but I have been in StL twice since and I would not hesitate to go back.

That Schlafy is beginning to CAN should not be a surprise. Theirs is a quality organization, beginning at the ownership level and trickling down to their regulars. Sure, it would be easy to crack wise about the 500-pound gorilla in town, but they got over that hurdle a while back. Tom Schlafly is a brilliant writer with segues that I would die to pull off in my writing and I am proud to have spoken to him on a couple of occasions.

CAN we get a review in here, somewhere? Hey, read Laurence Sterne's "Tristram Shandy" - the details are in the transgressions!

For the aesthetes who must have beauty in packaging, this had a striking sky blue and sunshine yellow motif offset by ebony black.

I do not know about you, but that got me nowhere. CANtents, that's what's important! Some Crack & Glug action must be in order. My aggressive pour still only netted me a finger of bone-white head with lousy retention. The color was to die for, however. It was a light golden-yellow with NE-quality. Sunshine in a glass. Nose had a slightly-sour Noble hops odor. I do not play favorites and this was kinda harsh. Mouthfeel was medium and it was moderately sweet with just enough hops spiciness to make it dance on the palate.

Whang dang, sweet p**n tang! This was the twang on the tongue that you only get at the dentist's office when they clamp your tongue with pliers and get at that bad boy (your tongue) with a wire brush. There was me and an MS1 back when where he had to have the {ahem!} hairs plucked from between his teeth and I had to have my tongue scrubbed after every liberty port in the Navy. I speak from personal experience.

Mmmm, mmm, mmm. Sweet memories, but the beer was just soooo good. Finish reminded me why I CANverted to lagers initially. A well-made lager CAN and will sustain you even when there are no hops forthcoming. More, please, sir.

Are you looking to fill your cooler? This is it!

09-05-2010 11:41:37 | More by woodychandler
bort11

4.15/5  rDev +17.9%

12 oz can poured into a Schlafly pint glass. Not a lot of head on this pour and no lacing either. Bit of a disappointment in this department. Color is a clear pale yellow with corkscrews of carbonation spinning around.

Smell has a light green grass aroma with pale malts giving of a hint of graininess. Taste has a slight lemon and bay leaf start, but then the hops kick in with a peppery finish. Nice surprising spiciness. Pretty aggressive finish to a mild start.

Mouthfeel is a little heavier than a Pilsener. The spicy kick adds a new dimension to a crisp finish. I had this with some spicy Pad Thai, delicious combo. I look forward to cracking open a can after mowing the lawn.

05-15-2010 01:45:08 | More by bort11
jsh420

bottled 03-08-10

pours bright gold with a 2 finger head that left notches all down the glass

smells of lemon and grassy hops and sweet grains

tastes of sweet bready grains with lots of lemon and grassy hops on the finish

mouthfeel is nice and light with ample carbonation that is both smooth and crisp

drinkability is good - this style is perfect for summer

overall not as good as Weihenstephaner but i have yet to find one

side note schlafly tweeted that they are canning these this summer!!!

03-19-2010 01:42:42 | More by jsh420
iceball585

4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

A- Bright pale yellow color, clear, thin fluffy white head that faded to a thin ring fairly quickly, some bubbles rising throughout

S- Pale malts, wheat, grains, light hops auroma, hint of citrus

T- Lemons, light malts, grains, wheat, straw, slight grassy, flowery hops

M- Light/medium body, medium carbonation, smooth, crisp, good balance

D- Worth buying again

This brewery had the right idea when they aimed more toward a Munich Helles than a typical American Summer Ale for their summertime beer.

08-24-2009 22:53:18 | More by iceball585
scruffwhor

4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Great clarity with this golden hued helles. Nice bubbling and ok foam that recedes to nothing.

Crisp toast mixed with even crisper hops to balance that malt aroma out.

Nice malt sweetness of the best simplicty. This simple toasted malt sweetness mxies well with a divining grass hops that balance everything out to crisp yet sweet brillance. Very crisp palate that is refreshing and easily sessionable with lots of flavor.

05-25-2010 04:58:47 | More by scruffwhor
Ottertude

Kentucky

4.08/5  rDev +15.9%

The beer poured a golden yellow with a thin head that quickly disappeared.

Not much smell at all, to be honest. Maybe a faint whiff of hops.

I do enjoy the taste though. A nice balance of slightly toasted malt and hops with a good clean finish.

The mouthfeel was fairly thin, just a touch thicker than water.

Schlafly needs to make this very drinkable brew all year round. I could pound these all night. Good job Schlafly!!!

06-29-2009 02:57:27 | More by Ottertude
AleWatcher

4.05/5  rDev +15.1%

This was the last line of my bottle review from last summer:
"Very easy to drink. If this were in cans, I would certainly toss it in the cooler to bring out on the boat."

Well, they must have listened and I lucked out and found a 12 pack of this one in cans... Had 6 of them yesterday while lounging around the pool, heading out on the boat, and showing my 3.5 year old how to fish. I thought it was a PERFECT beer right out of the cans.
In fact, I'm only planning on pouring this one into a glass to review it-- I'll be drinking the rest straight from the can on the water or at the pool!

Served in standard pint glass.

Light golden color is bright and clear. Actually looks "summery" and fresh. Small white head settled to a collar after a few sips. Minimal spotty lacing.

Smells lightly sweet with a noble spicy hop. The flavor is the same-- light, gentle sweetness is well-balanced with a light bitter bite to help it finish crisp and clean.

Body is spot on-- plenty of carbonation in a light, easy drinking body.

Overall, I found this a little more enjoyable straight from the can, but this is certainly a tasty and enjoyable for a summer beer.

06-07-2011 14:49:42 | More by AleWatcher