Schlafly Imperial Pilsner - The Schlafly Tap Room

No picture uploaded.

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: KI9A on 12-27-2010)
Reviews by KI9A:
4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

Schlafly "20". Brewed for their 20th year in business.

A: clear, golden, decent head, in a snifter.

S: Grassy, malty, fruity.

T: Big green apple, pear, sweet malts.

M: Dry, meduim carbonation.

D: Way too easy to drink for a nearly 10% beer. Alcohol is ultra-hidden. Not even a burn after the quaff. Not a big fan of the other umpy pils I have had, but, this one is amazing.

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Served on-tap at Schlafly's Tap Room anniversary, December 26th. Poured into a snifter.

A - See-through copper in color with a nice amount of carbonation. Head was pretty thin, but the glass had a surprisingly nice lacing running down its side by the end of the brew.

S - Strong scents of fruits and grassy hops. A nice scent like Granny Smith apple or something. A nice balance all around.

T - Big wave of fruits like sour apples and pear. Underneath is a thin malty flavor, but at the end of the taste, the hops became more and more dominant. Nothing palate-shocking, this is supremely refined.

M - Body is a bit on the lighter side of things with a sharp, dry finish. Carbonation is spot-on creating for a near-perfect feel... It just sort of glides through the mouth.

D - Dangerous, in a way. I had to force myself to change to a lighter beer after two to avoid becoming a mumbling idiot by the end of the night.

Overall/notes - Awesome brew! Hopefully I can get another try before it's all gone. Pilsners are normally pretty standard stuff for me, but this one was absolutely spot-on. Once again, my respect for Schlafly is confirmed.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Comparing the fresh bottled version against the newly arrived tap version I had last weekend. 750 mL bottle.

Poured almost clear, golden, with a decent head and fair lacing.

Smells great, grainy and hoppy, citrus overtones, almost perfect out of the bottle for my expectations of the style.

Taste is a hoppy, citrusey conglomeration. Grainy overtures complete the flavor profile. I don't taste the fruitiness in the bottled version like I did in the on tap version.

Feel wise it's a bit stronger, slightly noticeable alcohol, a bit on the slick side, and almost medium bodied, a surprise for the type of beer.

Drinks very nicely, but not quite as good as on tap. Remains easy to drink, despite the ABV. No complaints here.

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

Presentation: A bit generic painted label for a 20th anniversary brew, but Schlafly has always been about what's inside rather than a showy exterior. For what it's worth, the info on the back of the bottle is pretty cool.

Appearance: Poured into a snifter this pours an ever so slightly hazed deep golden hue, with a nice offwhite cap with good retention and some nice lace.

Smell: A swirl provides just a bit of crisp, lightly sweet clean pils malt, but the majority of the aromatics come from the (assuming Noble-variety?) hops. Not quite grassy like I was expecting: more of a clean, herbal note.

Taste: Fairly understated, actually, considering the strength. The pros: there's not a lot of alcohol here, just a bit of a light prickle to let you know this isn't exactly a session beer you're drinking. It certaintly doesn't feel like 9% though. Also on the plus side is the fact that the flavors here are crisp, simple, clean, and unmuddled, as is proper for the style. It's been my experience that some imperial pilsners have way too much yeast/hop character for what a 'big' pilsener should be. Now, on to the negatives. The hops have a nicely herbal flavor and firm, but not overpowering bitterness. Unfortunately, they also have that somewhat 'soapy' flavor that I've come to expect from some Noble-type hops (I'm looking at YOU, SA Noble Pils). The website says Marynka (Polish) and Stresselspalt (French). I'm not sure I've ever had either of these, but the 'soapy' finish is still a bit much for me. Still, the bitterness level is nice, and this is hop forward, with a clean, crisp malt background: exactly as it should be.

Mouthfeel: Substantial, firm, but not quite heavy

Overall: I've had a few imperial pilseners that I really disliked (Pizza Port's offering) and one I really liked (Boulevard's Collaboration No. 1). This falls somewhere in between for me. Technically speaking, I know that it's a well-made and well executed beer. It's got all the right stuff, in all the right proportions. And it's priced at around $11.00, which is not bad. I think it's just the style of hops that's used here that puts me off, and that's mroe personal taste than anything else. I for one love Cascades, but several of my friends can't stand them. Thus, this is a well-crafted beer, just not quite my stle.

2.98/5  rDev -22.6%

A: Pours golden, extremely hazy...little bits of sediment. One finger white head.

S: Sweet grains, earthy hop bill, little bit of alcohol.

T: Bready malt up front, grassy herbal hops. A bit sweet, and almost boozy to be honest. Bitter, soapy, but almost caramel like in the finish. A little odd...

M Thick in body, ample carbonation.

O: I don't think there is a reason to imperialize any more Pilsners...

Schlafly Imperial Pilsner from The Schlafly Tap Room
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.