Schlafly Yakima Wheat Ale - The Schlafly Tap Room

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: DCon on 03-19-2012)
3.86/5  rDev +4.9%

On tap:
Pours more translucent than cloudy, with a fair head than reduces to a film fairly quickly. Agitation brings carbonation back fleetingly. Nose is grass and pine hops a lot more so than any wheat beer expectations. The scents fade quickly, though and I had trouble finding more (and I think there was a little more, maybe a bit of peach). As the beer warms I get the slightest hint of wheat beer-little banana and lemon.

The taste starts crisp and a bit earthy, with a surprising carbonation burst given the look. Light cracker malt tastes have a nice grassy bitterness layered in top. The end brings a bit of bell pepper tastes. I also get something I'll describe as an unripe peach taste, but I am struggling to pick it out, and it is very subtle.

I think this is a straightforward beer. It was almost so simply enjoyable, I struggled to place flavors and the review sounds more complex than the beer was. That said, I surprisingly enjoyed it. It's one of those "je ne sais quoi" beers for me.

cjgiant, Yesterday at 09:36 PM

sendbeer, Sep 14, 2014
3.6/5  rDev -2.2%

GregDuB65, Sep 14, 2014

paulish, Sep 13, 2014
3.31/5  rDev -10.1%

Thanks to the incredible woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of lemons, wheat. Taste is light and mild, a bit of wheat tang, a touch of lemons, very refreshing but a bit bland. Feels light in the mouth and overall is a decent beer.

tone77, Sep 13, 2014

stogirelli, Aug 31, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

30helens, Aug 26, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

This is not a bad beer, but it's kind of generic tasting, so I'm not sure I'll be tempted to buy it again. To me it was like a summer seasonal wheat with a bit of hop flavor. Like many easy drinking summery beers, it's easy drinking but not too memorable. The last couple of sips I had were when the beer had nearly reached room temperature. At that point the taste and feel was kind of watery, but there was a slightly grassy aftertaste, but grassy in a good way. I wish they could better integrate that flavor. Maybe less citrus would help a bit.

Prefabu, Aug 26, 2014

grahamboudreaux, Aug 25, 2014

ShadyRigglesbee, Aug 24, 2014

LodiRigglesbee, Aug 24, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

The CANQuest ™ CANtinues to pick up speed as I CANtinue to roll through some of my back inventory. I just recently acquired this during my trip to Norfolk, VA for a USS Normandy (CG-60) reunion.

From the CAN: "Since 1991"; "Seasonal"; "CAN Sessions"; "Bold Flavor".

Brewer Stephen Hale must have had me in mind when he filled this CAN! It was brimful as was evident following a loud Crack! I raised a toast to him in the form of an inverted Glug. Once again, the bone-white head began with a foamy, fizzy three fingers, but it was fizzing and falling really quickly, not quite at the rate of soda pop, but close. Color was a hazy Sunshine-Yellow (SRM = > 2, ~ 4). Nose had it all - grass, mint, a wheat-y tang, just perfect for Summer! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was really grassy and the the wheat gave it a soft pepperiness. Finish was dry, but not gaspingly dry. It was a pleasant late-Summer afternoon beer, although at 5%, it is at the upper limit of being sessionable.

woodychandler, Aug 19, 2014

thufflife, Aug 19, 2014

lilsmizzul1225, Aug 15, 2014

zestar, Aug 13, 2014

DrRei, Aug 11, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can courtesy of Trent, yet again.

It pours a hazy straw yellow with a 1 finger head of foam.

A big nose of wheat greets my nosebuds and I can smell an underlining aroma of hop bitterness.

First sip, second sip, third sip...now that is one tasty American Pale Wheat. No bells or whistles, just a down home lovely taste of wheat with what I'd call an earthy bitterness.

Smooth as silk going down cuz the mouthfeel is so good.

I say, yummy!