Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Availability: Fall

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

(Beer added by: Megahertz on 10-12-2012)
Reviews by eddibilderback:
4.99/5  rDev +16.9%

There is nothing I don't like about this beer. It looks great, brightish orange with a white foamy head. The smell is insane, it's just bursting with fresh fruit aroma's laced with honey...or something out of this world smelling like that.

Taste - Perfect, I wish I could drink this beer every day. I had it last year and remembered liking it, but this years version seems a lot better. I hope they can replicate it next year, I really wish they sold this year round.

This is my first review, so I don't know a lot of technical terms or anything fancy. I'm a beer nerd, I have been for about 4-5 years now and all I can say is this beer is as good as any I've ever had. I put it up there with Lagunitas Sucks,Gandhi-Bot and Hopslam (when it was still good), and would even put this above one of my all time favorites Nugget Nectar. If you like your IPA's full of fruity juicy sweet delicious mellow nectar, that go down way too easy, you will love this beer. Buy it, smell it, drink it, love it!

*UPDATE - The batch that was brewed on 9/26 is representative of the review above. I got my hands on a case which was brewed on 10/11/13 about a week ago and man was I disappointed. In fact it was a soul crushing blow because this beer neither smelled or tasted anything like the one brewed on 9/26. I'm bummed because I gave Six Packs to a few beer loving buddies promising them the best beer they've ever had and it didn't come close. I've seen Hopslam change and get worse from year to year, but I've never seen this with the same years batch. I don't know if some got infected or what, but this beer isn't good in any way. How can you go from loving a beer so much one week, to literally dumping it the next. Something happened and it's a shame, because when properly brewed and bottled this is the best beer I've ever had.

4.29/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've had this one a handful of times, once on draft, but mostly bottled. Reviewing based off a bottle poured into a nonic glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden color with over a finger of white foamy head that reduces quickly and leaves a fair amount of lacing.
S: Wafting of citrus, slight pine, and almost a sugar candy. I'm intrigued by this one.
T: Similar to aroma - lots of mango and pineapple, pine to tone down the sweetness. There's a sweetness that I can't place my finger on, but it becomes dominant near the end and follows through the after taste.
M: Carbed well, leaves an ever so slightly dry after taste, but mainly a sweet taste that lingers.
O: Love this beer, it offers a great unique twist to a common style that certainly helps it stand out.

This one was my 100th beer, so I figured I would write my first review on this delicious brew.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy fizzy golden orange color. Nice inch or so of head that dissipates within a minute or two. Leaves behind a little nice lacing at the edges of the glass that follow all the way to the end.

Smell: A little piney, bold citrus, freshness. The citrus smell really comes through.

Taste: Wow, bold juicy grapefruit right upfront and throughout. As you get through a drink, it trails off and is tempered by the piney bitterness of the hops on the back end. The robust hop bitterness controls the bold grapefruit flavors from being too sweet. It is fairly linear in it's approach of these two single flavors that dominate, but in such a great balance to keep you wanting more.

Mouth Feel: A light to medium mouth feel, with plenty of tanginess. Carbonation is present enough to notice, not strong though. Fairly smooth for an IPA, doesn't make you pucker, but definitely lets you know what it is.

Overall: Definitely a favorite, a very delicious brew. A nice take on an IPA that has plenty of character to set itself apart from all the others and to keep you coming back.

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%

4.68/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden orange. Nice 2 inch head. Fantastic hoppy citrusy smell. Loads of orange and tangerine. The taste is incredible. Loads of citrus. Loads of hops. Mouthfeel is full, very carbonated. Overall, this is by far my favorite beer of 2012. I can drink this for breakfast every day. You must buy this beer. If you don't, you will regret it.

3.44/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Rich sand slightly dark golden hue. Thin cover of foam just coats the top of this brew. Brussels lacing. I can see micro sized bits of hops suspended within this unfiltered ale. Intense vegetal aroma with hints of pineapple,mango,and unripened tomato vines. The flavor while bitter is not as intense as the aroma. The flavor is a blend of grapefruit and vegetal,earthy hops. There's a prickly bitterness on the tongue and an intensely bitter,vegetal aftertaste. I like bitter IPA's but Galaxy hops aren't my thing.

3.75/5  rDev -12.2%