Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Megahertz on 10-12-2012

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

Reviews: 252 | Hads: 1,548

This one was my 100th beer, so I figured I would write my first review on this delicious brew.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy fizzy golden orange color. Nice inch or so of head that dissipates within a minute or two. Lots of hop particulates suspended in the brew, pretty awesome. Leaves behind a little nice lacing at the edges of the glass that follow all the way to the end.

Smell: A little piney, bold citrus, freshness. The citrus smell really comes through.

Taste: Wow, bold juicy grapefruit right upfront and throughout. Followed by layers of pineapple, and tropical fruit. As you get through a drink, it trails off and is tempered by the mild piney bitterness of the hops on the back end. The robust hop bitterness controls the bold grapefruit, pineapple, and tropical fruit flavors from being too sweet. It is fairly linear in it's approach of these two single flavors that dominate, but in such a great balance to keep you wanting more.

Mouth Feel: A light to medium mouth feel, with plenty of tanginess. Carbonation is present enough to notice, not strong though. Fairly smooth for an IPA, doesn't make you pucker, but definitely lets you know what it is.

Overall: Wow! Definitely a favorite, a very delicious brew. An amazing take on an IPA that has plenty of character to set itself apart from all the others and to keep you coming back.

Will absolutely seek out and purchase again.

Heard great things about this beer so I searched till I finally found a store in Nashville that had a 6 pack.

Appearance: Pours a nice yellowish with tints of orange with a finger of a white head. It's definitely filtered and you can see through it. It's pretty clear.

Smell: Smells wonderful. Sweet hops, tropical fruits, citrus, orange.

Taste - Taste is amazing. Sweet upfront mixed with a slight bitterness, then tropical fruits and a bready/malty taste at the end.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is light to medium. Super drinkable. Would never know this was 7%.

Overall: One of my favorite IPAs ever. So good. I'm always looking for beers similar to Lagunitas Sucks and this isn't as good but along the same lines. Very tropical fruit-y, which I love.

4.99/5  rDev +17.1%

This is my new favorite beer. I love Galaxy hopped beer and this on tested so fresh. I drove all over town searching for more but could not find any. I am waiting until next Fall to get more. This is a hop fruit forward beer with light malt and mild bitterness.

4.99/5  rDev +17.1%

There is nothing I don't like about this beer. It looks great, brightish orange with a white foamy head. The smell is insane, it's just bursting with fresh fruit aroma's laced with honey...or something out of this world smelling like that.

Taste - Perfect, I wish I could drink this beer every day. I had it last year and remembered liking it, but this years version seems a lot better. I hope they can replicate it next year, I really wish they sold this year round.

This is my first review, so I don't know a lot of technical terms or anything fancy. I'm a beer nerd, I have been for about 4-5 years now and all I can say is this beer is as good as any I've ever had. I put it up there with Lagunitas Sucks,Gandhi-Bot and Hopslam (when it was still good), and would even put this above one of my all time favorites Nugget Nectar. If you like your IPA's full of fruity juicy sweet delicious mellow nectar, that go down way too easy, you will love this beer. Buy it, smell it, drink it, love it!

*UPDATE - The batch that was brewed on 9/26 is representative of the review above. I got my hands on a case which was brewed on 10/11/13 about a week ago and man was I disappointed. In fact it was a soul crushing blow because this beer neither smelled or tasted anything like the one brewed on 9/26. I'm bummed because I gave Six Packs to a few beer loving buddies promising them the best beer they've ever had and it didn't come close. I've seen Hopslam change and get worse from year to year, but I've never seen this with the same years batch. I don't know if some got infected or what, but this beer isn't good in any way. How can you go from loving a beer so much one week, to literally dumping it the next. Something happened and it's a shame, because when properly brewed and bottled this is the best beer I've ever had.

4.94/5  rDev +16%

This is the kind of IPA that many breweries would sell as a $10-$13 4-pack or $9 bomber. Instead, Schlafly packages this as a regular (though "limited edition") 6-pack, for a more-than-reasonable $10.99. In 12 years of beer nerdom, I cannot say I've seen a better value. This is like getting a brand new Stingray for the price of a 2-year-old, six-cylinder Camaro. One of the breweries (and beers) that makes it good to live in this part of the country.

4.86/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I'm definitely not an IPA lover, but I absolutely loved this. Bartender at the tap room let me try it when I told him I didn't like IPA. Then he had a good laugh when I told him to pour me one. Outstanding!

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Notes from glass had from tap six months ago at Mekong in Richmond.

A sterling example of hoppy but not bitter. My friend, who usually steers clear of IPAs, and I, a hophead, enjoyed this one equally.

Reminiscent of Stone Enjoy By but zeroes in more on the pineapple, with notes of lemon and wheatgrass.

Had never heard of the brewery or beer. A very pleasant surprise. Yum yum yum.

4.84/5  rDev +13.6%

A- Pale yellow with a nice, white head. Ring of foam remains throughout the drink, leaving behind white lacing throughout.

S- Sweet citrus, passion fruit, slight Simcoe-like cat box. Very faint toasted malts, and the faint smell of alcohol.

T- Very sweet passion fruit, and a huge range of citrus. I also catch a bit of a melon flavor in there. The bitterness is smooth and it hangs around. Slight boozy taste as it warms. The slight malt taste eventually starts to come through, but the hops are front and center.

M- Feels sticky and oily, coating the mouth. Feels great, and really enforces that sweet taste.

O- I am a huge fan of this brew from Schlafly. One of the best IPA's I've had to date, as the bitterness isn't oppressive and the hops taste absolutely fantastic. Well done, in my opinion.

4.77/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Yes. Please. May I have some more?

What a superbly put together IPA.

The color is a gorgeous pale orange color. A nice tight head that remains well after the pour, clinging to the side of the glass as I drink down this delightful nectar.

Smells of hops, mango, pineapple, and a touch of resin.

Tastes like a tropical fruit salad mated with some fresh baked Hawaiian bread. This is the stuff legends are made of.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean, and perfectly carbonated.

Bring me more. this needs to be in every IPA fan's fridge.

4.76/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dude, this stuff is off the hook!

Served in a Schlafly tulip.

A: Poured about as clear as it can get, apricot in color, and with a soft, yet sticky, white head that clung to the glass.

S: Totally Galaxy, through and through. Reminded me of a saison I dry-hopped with Galaxy a couple of years ago, only much, much better. Fruity, hoppy, POW!!

T: Nice hop character, but this one is straight up Island of Hawaii stuff: Orange, mango, and pineapple. Love it!

M: The carbonation was perfect for the style, the beer was somewhat on the sweet side, but still not candy-like, and it was just a flat out drinkable brew any way you cut it.

O: I'm a big fan of Schlafly and of the man himself (so kind to us military folks). However, this one needs no fanboy-dom to find the awesomeness. Amazing!

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Great beer that I'm lucky to be able to find easily on the shelf this time of year.
Pours a brilliant, clear blonde with almost a two finger head.
Smells of dirt, flowers and pineapple-melon.
The taste is clean and floral with a residual sweetness.
I could drink this beer all day and never get tired of it.
Well done, Schlafly.
I would put this TIPA on par with brews like Zombie Dust and Heady Topper.
Look for it, it's a treat.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Acutally the first time I had this beer was on tap at the Shirlington October fest. Since then I have had it from the bottle, poured into the Dogfish Head IPA glass

A - I was surprised how light it is, almost pilsner like, say Yellowihs. Left a nice ring on the glass

S - Lots of grapefruit and floral smells. Almost like an orchid or similar tropical sweet smelling flower

T -Mostly a grapefruit or citrus taste, and other tropical fruits, very little of the piney taste of some IPAs. A little bit sweetness helps to balance out the bitterness. but the bitterness is not lingering, a very pleasant finish. ... Loved the taste, reminded me of some other great 'hop bomb' beers, such as Hopslam!

M - Nice amount of carbonation, refreshing

Overall this is one of my favorite IPA's, I like it as much as Hopslam or Lagunitas Sucks

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Wow is the best thing to say about this beer. Incredible, beautiful honey color. Smell is dank grass and grains. Taste is perfection. Juicy hops, full of fruit and grassy flavors that never overpower each other, sweet and grainy malty background with the tiniest of alcohol sweetness accents. Mouthfeel is great, but a little thin. Had this when it was 3 days old, so that didn't hurt it, but this is a knockout for Schlafly, well done.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I think we have a winner. Here goes:

L: Pours a clear yellow with a nice one-inch head. Leaves a ton of lacing as well. Also, this beer is just loaded with hops - I see a ton of hop particles suspended in the solution. It looks rather bodacious.

S: Wow, Galaxy hops are the bomb! Tropical flavors - tons of pineapple, mango, and tangerines against a floral citrus background. Beautiful.

T: Jeez, what a great flavor to complement the smell. Taste follows the nose with a host of tropical goodness. However, there's a very sufficient malt backbone to balance out the hop bitterness. Lightly-kilned amber malt follows immediately after a succulent hop bomb (can be tasted at the back of the palate). I have to say that this is a very well-balanced beer.

M: Perfect. Malt gives the beer an adequate body that's very filling and satisfying.

O: Outstanding. One of the best IPA's I've ever had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

WOW!!! Boy now I wish I had gotten more than a case of this gem... Hazy bright gold color, citrusy almost floral nose, a great summer refresher, and its only the middle of May... Great pairing with my BBQ a great counterpoint to the spicy/smokiness of the pulled pork... This one is a drinker, get it while you can... and send a couple my way...

4.73/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: A yellow golden beauty. Poured with two fingers of white head. It remained a few sips in. Left some nice spider web lacing.

S: Citrus, pineapple, mango.

T: Taste followed the nose. More pineapple and mango. Absolutely delicious. Almost zero hints of pine.

F: Medium bodied and moderately carbonated.

O: Easily one of my all time favorites. I'll be picking up another six.

4.71/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 12 oz bottle , bottled 3 months ago so I wasn't going to rate it but it was so good I thought I would

A very light yellow colored beer with a white 1 finger head and small amounts of lacing

Very sweet hoppy smell , floral and earthy and sweet

Very nice smooth mouthfeel to this brew , very enjoyable

Very nice tasting beer , the hops the malt and the yeast all come together very well , just a great example of an American IPA that is very balanced , will be purchasing this every year when it comes out

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Pours a deep gold with a decent white head. Decent lacings.

S - Tons of fruit, namely apricot, mango, and pineapple. Under it all, a touch of pine and herbs. The smallest amount of biscuity malt.

T - More tropical fruit, but with a stronger malt back bone. The hops go through all the way leaving a nice bitter finish, but not overly so.

M - medium body, moderate carbonation. Nice and crisp.

O - I love this beer. The Galaxy hops bring a lovely tropical and citrus flavor to one of my favorite styles. I wish I could find it on the east coast.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Cloudy, hazy golden appearance. Sometimes some extra amount of particulate floating or settling. Amazing citrus aroma.
Bitterness and grapefruit flavor that I really like. Finishes easy without lastiing astringency or alcohol bite. Smooth and creamy mouth feel.
Definitely one of my favorite IPA's.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

Pours a very clear and pale golden yellow with some mild copper hues. There is a nice 1.25 inch head that is white and very dense. There are some medium to smaller sized bubbles intermingled with the real dense foam. Retention is excellent. The head last forever and recedes very slowly while leaving some lacing.

Aroma to this brew is perfection. Citrusy notes with some tangerine, orange peel and slight grapefruit notes. Those citrus notes are well complimented by some nice tropical fruit notes. There are peach notes and some papaya as well as mango. Nose is awesome.

The flavor follows nose and is very nearly perfect. Tropical notes start things off with some nice papaya and peach. There is also some good citrusy notes that aren't too intense but perfectly balanced with some slight crystal malt sweetness. Some bready notes are present as well as some grassy and slightly piney notes. Mouthfeel is perfect. SMooth and crisp at the same time. Very clean with a nice slightly piney and dry finish.

A true winner by Schlafly. One of their best efforts to date. Great balance of hop and malts and great shinning hop presence. A hop lovers dream with a hidden 7.2% kick.

4.64/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden orange. Nice 2 inch head. Fantastic hoppy citrusy smell. Loads of orange and tangerine. The taste is incredible. Loads of citrus. Loads of hops. Mouthfeel is full, very carbonated. Overall, this is by far my favorite beer of 2012. I can drink this for breakfast every day. You must buy this beer. If you don't, you will regret it.

4.64/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A sweeter IPA with tangerine nose and flavor. Outstanding. Had so much of it, I'm starting to burn out on it. It's a litte sweet. Light slightly cloudy. Excellent on tap and almost as good in the bottle. 95 is an accurate rating. Has a thick head for a lighter colored beer. Very drinkable. Not as shandy as the Founders All Day IPA, which has more of a grapefruit flavor. Clearly one of my favorite beers.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle. Golden color with nice 2 finger head. Perfect. Smell isn't overpowering of citrus. Tastes of pineapple in front with grapefruit finish. Unique flavor of hops. Great carbonation. Very easy drinking beer. I love it.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours very yellow with a foamy white head. Kind of plain looking. The smell is a very fresh hoppy citrus nose. Very impressed with the smell. The taste is good but afraid not very memorable. It does have a very smooth feel and a fairly clean finish but the hoppy citrus taste fall just a bit short for me to be a top notch beer. Overall it's very drinkable and one that you can have a couple back to back. Nothing spectacular here but pretty enjoyable.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Looks nice enough with a head that while it lasts, looks more frothy than foamy. Clear, bright and pale orange with that aforementioned head of white settling above.

Nose is aggressively dank from the start, with its nose clearing onion/rubber /menthol action.

Taste is everything I expected based on the nose. It's raw, dank, grassy, a touch grainy, and finally full of citrus once you battle through the initial violence.

Finish is dry, slightly sweet but mostly clean.

I don't want to get too excited, but oh my. This is spot on and powerful.

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) from The Schlafly Tap Room