Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Availability: Fall

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

(Beer added by: Megahertz on 10-12-2012)
3.64/5  rDev -14.8%

mmccreary, Sep 21, 2014
3.66/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a semi-cloudy gold color with a nice head and amazing lacing that clings on for dear life to the side of the glass. Very light aroma with hints of pineapple and other assorted citrus, not much hops in the smell. My first time with a beer with exclusively Australian hops, I think, taste is very hoppy, yet allows a coo blend of tropical citrus to come through. This seems like a well balanced beer by my opinion. I love the cool hop bitterness and maly as it goes down, cooling the palate. Overall, I am pleased with this and look forward to other special releases from this brewery.

hophugger, Oct 12, 2014
3.68/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a pale yellow with two finger white head that falls to a ring that laces very well.

Aroma is nice orange, pineapple and mango very fruity but strangely not overly hoppy smelling if that makes any sense. Malt base is light almost honey like notes.

Taste is light malt some light honey and caramel notes loaded down with hops tangy citrus lime, pineapple juice along with lingering grassy notes in the finish that is light and dry. Some sprinkling of pine needles towards the end, an unusual IPA. it is not what I would pick as my everyday IPA but its nice change to try.

Mouthfeel is light side of medium with some lightly fizzy carbonation.

Overall worth a try not what I would pick to drink regularly but it might be a nice change for someone looking for something different.

mntlover, Dec 27, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a little on the light side of golden, with some larger bubble head, and some lacing. Having had it before, I expected a stronger aroma, but I didn't get a strong smell. Some wet cardboard, with hints of orange (edit: as the beer "breathed", I noticed more orange, as the taste indicates).

Front taste starts with some carbonation, the hits with orange! I don't mean orange notes, but orange. This mellows into mango and pineapple as the taste fades. There is actually a little woodiness in the end with a dryer than expected feel.

I liked this beer more in my memory than in this tasting. I usually like a nice citrus-flavored IPA, but this is missing something to me, its base is too standard, to me. I think it would be an interesting try for a new IPA drinker, though.

(Note: I thought there was a blandness to another beer I didn't expect much of earlier today, and I wondered if it might be the day, but my girlfriend agreed that the beer wasn't as good as she remembered from a bottle she had bought a week ago. Maybe they altered something?)

cjgiant, Nov 22, 2013
3.74/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm a fan of Schlafly and visit the Tap Room whenever in St. Louie; couldn't resist this 6'er from TW for $10.99 (after $1 coupon).

A - the yellowest (looks like a Bud) IPA with barely any head. Despite the small amount of foam, beautiful lacing decorated the glass throughout.

S- Great olfactory sensation! Grapefruit, mango, with a relaxed herbal scent.

T - Similar to the smell, but a little tamer in terms of the citrus. I get almost a roasted fruit flavor (e.g. grilled apricot/peaches) followed by the mellowest piney spice. The warmth of the 7.2 ABV% comes through without overwhelming the flavors.

Mouthfeel - medium body and not overly oily.

O - This is another winner from Schlafly. I really enjoyed the complexity that came with each sampling. Careful though, at 7.2 ABV these could go down waaay too easily.

smanders, Jan 25, 2014