Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Availability: Fall

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

(Beer added by: Megahertz on 10-12-2012)

notsnot, Oct 06, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -35.6%

ScienceGuy, Oct 30, 2012
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

GClas, Jun 19, 2014
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

A- At first pour the color is faint yellow, somewhat relective of an American adjunct lager, however, a much nicer white foamy head. Don't let this fool you as the next steps improve dramatically.

S- Wonderful citrus hop aroma, and sweet malty undertones.

T- This is where the surprise just jumps at you. The citrus notes of the Australian hops melds exceptionally well with the light sweet malt. I'm so confused by the light color of the brew that I go back for another taste of the TIPA explosion of joy - nicely done Schlafly brewmasters!

M- The mouthfeel is medium to well rounded with a hint of warmth from the alcohol. Did I mention there is 7.2% by volume hidden within this flavor profile....near perfection.

O- I still can't get paste the color of the malt and the enjoyment of what I just finished. And this brew is part of a new Schlafly rotational IPA series. I only have 5 of these babies left, great job St. Louis brewery!

Brewno8it, Nov 21, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

A: This pours a translucent orange with a nice white head. Fine sediment suspended at pour.

S: The smell is incredible on this one! I get the tropical citrus punch, with dough, candy, and sticky nectar.

T: The taste is delightful! I get a myriad of tastes from the citrus spectrum, followed by a doughy maltiness, followed by a florally citrus wallop! Its really an experience. Dynamic taste! Fantastic!

M: The beer is medium bodied, especially for a 7+ abv.

O: Overall another quality special release series from Schlafly - which by the way, in my opinion, makes average staple - year round available beer. This is a fantastic single hop (galaxy) IPA! Strongly recommend!

BigBearBeerBro, Nov 15, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

JessLee, Feb 08, 2013

Jehrnstrom34, Dec 03, 2013

vinceman, May 15, 2014

weedkiller80, Nov 19, 2012
4.69/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Pours a deep gold with a decent white head. Decent lacings.

S - Tons of fruit, namely apricot, mango, and pineapple. Under it all, a touch of pine and herbs. The smallest amount of biscuity malt.

T - More tropical fruit, but with a stronger malt back bone. The hops go through all the way leaving a nice bitter finish, but not overly so.

M - medium body, moderate carbonation. Nice and crisp.

O - I love this beer. The Galaxy hops bring a lovely tropical and citrus flavor to one of my favorite styles. I wish I could find it on the east coast.

EmmaLo, Feb 05, 2014

bobhansen, Feb 19, 2014

jimmyr78, Jan 27, 2013
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance- 2 cm white, thick head. distorted, transparent, yellow-orange color. Crisp.

Aroma-Smells of citrus. Strong grapefruit and hint of lychee juice. Also some peach notes. Could be some pine in there, but that might be because I was looking at a christmas tree...

Taste-Yes. Citrus up front being mostly grapefruit. Aroma expands and fills the mouth. Once down tarty bitterness hangs with a resiny, malty finish. Tastes like it smells

Mouthfeel- medium to light. not full bodied by any means. sessionable beer.

Overall- great to try a different hop variety. I'd say Schlafly did a very good job with this one. i'd definitely have it again

SCbrewdoc, Jan 06, 2013

Zach_M, Jul 02, 2014
4.99/5  rDev +16.9%

There is nothing I don't like about this beer. It looks great, brightish orange with a white foamy head. The smell is insane, it's just bursting with fresh fruit aroma's laced with honey...or something out of this world smelling like that.

Taste - Perfect, I wish I could drink this beer every day. I had it last year and remembered liking it, but this years version seems a lot better. I hope they can replicate it next year, I really wish they sold this year round.

This is my first review, so I don't know a lot of technical terms or anything fancy. I'm a beer nerd, I have been for about 4-5 years now and all I can say is this beer is as good as any I've ever had. I put it up there with Lagunitas Sucks,Gandhi-Bot and Hopslam (when it was still good), and would even put this above one of my all time favorites Nugget Nectar. If you like your IPA's full of fruity juicy sweet delicious mellow nectar, that go down way too easy, you will love this beer. Buy it, smell it, drink it, love it!

*UPDATE - The batch that was brewed on 9/26 is representative of the review above. I got my hands on a case which was brewed on 10/11/13 about a week ago and man was I disappointed. In fact it was a soul crushing blow because this beer neither smelled or tasted anything like the one brewed on 9/26. I'm bummed because I gave Six Packs to a few beer loving buddies promising them the best beer they've ever had and it didn't come close. I've seen Hopslam change and get worse from year to year, but I've never seen this with the same years batch. I don't know if some got infected or what, but this beer isn't good in any way. How can you go from loving a beer so much one week, to literally dumping it the next. Something happened and it's a shame, because when properly brewed and bottled this is the best beer I've ever had.

eddibilderback, Nov 01, 2013

cobbj186, Dec 22, 2012
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Oct 24, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

A medium golden color. Light head retention.

S very floral. Hint of oak or leather. Fruity. Lightly Piney. Hops are amazing.

T delicious. Refreshing. Dont want to put the glass down. I could slam these repeatedly. I would like to have this in the early spring as well.

M not heavy at all. Refreshing. Crisp yet refined. Not a palate killer.

O for $12 a six pack i would buy it again. This would be a great beer to have around a fire when you get in from the slopes. I woild pair it with some good mexican food or indian or meditwrranean food. Delicious is all i can say. The hops are nice.

gentlegiant, Nov 05, 2013
4.61/5  rDev +8%

A sweeter IPA with tangerine nose and flavor. Outstanding. Had so much of it, I'm starting to burn out on it. It's a litte sweet. Light slightly cloudy. Excellent on tap and almost as good in the bottle. 95 is an accurate rating. Has a thick head for a lighter colored beer. Very drinkable. Not as shandy as the Founders All Day IPA, which has more of a grapefruit flavor. Clearly one of my favorite beers.

Mrprescott, Jan 11, 2014

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

HotSam, Jan 14, 2014
Photo of
4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Mar 06, 2014