Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Megahertz on 10-12-2012

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

Reviews: 214 | Hads: 1,385
4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Schlafly "Tasmanian IPA"
12 oz. brown glass bottle, "Bottled with love on 10/06/2014 08:40"
$2.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

I'd argue against the name of this beer as using hops grown in Tasmania hardly makes it a "Tasmanian Style India Pale Ale" but that seems pointless.

The first thing I found interesting about this beer is that it seems unfiltered, and displays a cloudy body dense with suspended particulate. Normally that would be a defect but I'm assuming in this case that it's due to an enormous amount of dry-hopping in the fermentor or bright tank. The thin white head drops readily but it leaves some fairly impressive lacing behind on the glass.

The aroma would certainly indicate dry-hoping as it's bold and bright. Unfortunately I find quite a bit of musty-book and cat piss aroma amidst the citrusy hops. I can't decide if I like it or not, but it smells like a basement and that somehow just doesn't seem right in my mind. I've had beers made with Galaxy hops before but never found them to be so musty/funky smelling.

The flavor smooths things over, eliminating the mustiness, although there is a bit of earthiness to it. It's got a full maltiness that's bready and lightly toasty; full but not sweet. The hops are threaded through well, and you get for the most part one united flavor as opposed to finding malt, then fruitiness, then hops, or whatever. There is what I perceive as yeasty fruitiness, delivering apple and red berries, although that could be coming from the hops as well as there is a distinct peach component to it. The other flavors that I attribute to the hops include citrus pith, pineapple, orange, resin, and perhaps mango and/or papaya. It's solidly bitter, but doesn't step beyond the bounds of what the malt can handle.

Just based on it's uniqueness I'd have to recommend it but I feel it goes well beyond that, delivering a compelling, satisfying IPA that could easily be enjoyed beyond one serving. (1,964 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden orange with a thick white head and tons of chunky lacing. Sweet citrus aroma fills the nose, light cracker notes from the malt let the hops just shine. Initial light cracker followed by a blitz of citrus hop flavor that finishes slightly bitter. Taste starts off orange citrus and sweet and finishes grapefruit and bitter. Mouthfeel is light end of medium body with nice carbonation and a dry finish. This is an outstanding IPA with great citrus flavor that I will look forward to every year. (509 characters)

A- Light gold, very effervescent. Looks kind of hazy, but that might just be lots of little bubbles. There’s a thin head that leaves a fair amount of lace along the sides of the glass as it dissipates.

S- Very citrusy, like orange and grapefruit juice. There’s maybe a little bit of a grassy or herbal note in there as well.

T- Just a hint of sweetness before the hops take over. They have a juicy citrus quality that definitely brings to mind orange juice but without the sweetness. Bitterness is pronounced, but pleasant. There’s a hint of alcohol on the finish, but it’s not strong.

M- Fairly light with pleasant carbonation. Exceedingly drinkable. It drinks like a much lower ABV beer.

The description of this beer promises something much different than a traditional IPA. I don’t know that it really delivers on that, but this is still a very solid beer. I love citrusy IPAs and this one is certainly quite citrusy, so I’m in. I can’t help but recommend this. (993 characters)

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy yellow with a strong orange tinge. Little lacing which dissipates quickly. Prevelant lacing for the lack of head.

Scent is tangerines, grass and gasoline.

Flavor is much the same. Yet it works more. Hops are just prevalent enough.

Mouthfeel is almost perfect. Just enough sweetness. The mouthfeel really makes this.

I dont know why these hops always taste llikegas to me. Luckily I'm getting used to it, as I like this one. Very balanced. (455 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Was given two of these from a friend recently and finally got around to having one yesterday during the late NFL games. I wasn't sure what to expect of this and like others on here, I don't know my hops that well. Thankfully, a few have pointed out on here that this did indeed contain Galaxy hops, which were so pleasing to enjoy from start to finish. This was unlike any IPA that I've ever had and one of the smoothest hoppy beers that I've enjoyed in quite some time!

Nice golden pour to this, with a moderate head and hardly any carbonation to be seen. Just a bit of lacing on my glass but nothing clingy or lacy to note. A subtle but strong grapefruit hop presence was this beer's hallmark and it was something to behold from start to finish. Some pine and floral notes and a lightness that bordered on champagne accompanied both the taste and light appearance of this brew. Strong in alcohol, I couldn't detect it at all except for a faint warming by the time I polished this off, which didn't take long.

Very light and dry, this would be great in the summer instead of reaching for a hop bomb. There wasn't much of any malt here and the mouthfeel didn't contain any waxy resin or oily undertone that this style has come to be known for. While this won't satisfy hopheads, there's a lot to like here and this is about as unoffensive an IPA as one could find on any store shelf. I loved this and if I can still find it for sale, I'll grab another to get me through the winter as a reminder of what the warmer months have in store. Nice job by Schlafly! (1,560 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: It pours a golden yellow with a thin white head which quickly turns into a very fine lace. The beer is opaque and there are a lot of particulates floating in it with almost no carbonation bubbles. One of the least appealing IPAs to look at that I have come across.

S: Fortunately, the smell is great. Extremely bright tropical and citrus notes greet your nose with mango, papaya, pineapple and passion fruit. There is a little bit of a floral smell underneath and some cattiness, with no hints of malt presence. Certainly an Australian beer. It's just bursting with those Galaxy hops and I could smell them all day.

T: The tropical notes that you can smell are bursting right up front and dominate the body of the beer. The pale malt backbone balances them out a bit with some touches of floral hops, but tropical fruits dominate everything. A great showcase for Australian hops. My only complaint for such a hop showcase is the cattiness which comes in on the finish. It's a bit unpleasant after all the mango, pineapple and passion fruit notes in the body, but it's not terrible by any means.

F: Bright, crisply zesty and a little bready. Very pleasant, but the bready malt feel detracts a bit.

O: A great Australian IPA. I've really grown fond of these Galaxy hops lately and this beer doesn't disappoint. I think it would make a great summer seasonal IPA because of its light, crisp, tropical flavor, but they put it out in the fall. This is too bad in my opinion because I would be more likely to buy this for a hot summer day to drink while grilling than in the fall when I'm more prone to drink darker beers.

This beer was poured from a 12oz bottle into a Blind Pig mug at apx 55F. (1,696 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle purchased at Whole Foods - Foggy Bottom, bottle dated 10/29/2014 19:06, poured into my Gandhi-Bot large bottomed snifter, crushed over 15 minutes (159 characters)

This one was my 100th beer, so I figured I would write my first review on this delicious brew.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy fizzy golden orange color. Nice inch or so of head that dissipates within a minute or two. Lots of hop particulates suspended in the brew, pretty awesome. Leaves behind a little nice lacing at the edges of the glass that follow all the way to the end.

Smell: A little piney, bold citrus, freshness. The citrus smell really comes through.

Taste: Wow, bold juicy grapefruit right upfront and throughout. Followed by layers of pineapple, and tropical fruit. As you get through a drink, it trails off and is tempered by the mild piney bitterness of the hops on the back end. The robust hop bitterness controls the bold grapefruit, pineapple, and tropical fruit flavors from being too sweet. It is fairly linear in it's approach of these two single flavors that dominate, but in such a great balance to keep you wanting more.

Mouth Feel: A light to medium mouth feel, with plenty of tanginess. Carbonation is present enough to notice, not strong though. Fairly smooth for an IPA, doesn't make you pucker, but definitely lets you know what it is.

Overall: Wow! Definitely a favorite, a very delicious brew. An amazing take on an IPA that has plenty of character to set itself apart from all the others and to keep you coming back.

Will absolutely seek out and purchase again. (1,398 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tasmanian IPA is a slight hazy, dull gold that pours almost no head, with minimal retention and lacing. These galaxy hops give me an over-sweet, rotting fruit aroma, which although in many ways is strangely enticing, is not the best overall aroma. These sweet rotting fruit aromas are most noticeably orange and mango.

Taste follows the nose in a lot of ways, except it is more just sweet without the hints of rot. Nice flavor, but too sweet for me especially in the finish. Has a creamy feel with expected body and carbonation for an IPA. (540 characters)

On tap at “Paragon Tap and Table” in Clark. Pours hazy golden with tall, long lasting, fluffy white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of citrusy hops, tropical fruit and bready malt. Body is medium and tangy. Citrusy hops, tropical fruit, bready malt fill the mouth. Finish is long, dry and grapefruity. Excellent brew. (326 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

I have seen this brew discussed in several recent forums as an under the radar treasure. While scanning the shelves of a local bottle shop, lo and behold, there was a small display of six packs of the Tasmanian IPA on the floor (bottled on 9/26/14). Without hesitation, I scooped one up.

I'm far from being an IPA connoisseur, but this is an excellent IPA (aroma and flavor of ruby red grapefruit). I've had several IPAs with larger reputations (mostly with dubious freshness), but I would put this one right up there with some of the greats! (543 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

9/18/14 12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Pours bright golden almost like a pilsner or helles. It has a lemon-skin color sort of. Fluffy and foamy head is abundant and leaves a ton of lace behind. I notice some yeasty cloudiness at the end of the pour. 4

S- Smells a bit dated. Faded citrus, earthy, resinous and herbal. There's a pungent aroma there I can't quite describe. Faint caramel and bread. 3.5

T- Very interesting flavor. Tastes of passionfruit linger but I find a lot more malt upfront, sweet and caramel- and bread-heavy. The hops seem very wet hop-like, grassy, faintly onion-like, and again earthy and resinous. 4

M- It's lively and well-carbonated. Medium-bodied with a mellow bitterness at the finish. 4

Good brew. I'm curious how much the month and a half made. Reading the bottle it describes a lot of citrus, but I didn't get much. I'll revisit some day. (887 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

I really like this beer. I wrote earlier tonight that I pit several of the Alstom Bros 100 point rated IPA's against each other in a taste test. Victory Hop Devil, Dark Horse Crooked Tree, Sculpin IPA, and the Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'. This one is not in the Sculpin category, but I put it right there with Victory and Dark Horse, and definitely better than Hop Ottin'.

It pours a pale, straw golden color and has a great nose. It has a florally, citrus character and is so much better than people think. It is lighter in body than many of the flag waving IPA's and may approach Pale Ale category. If they knew how good this was it would disappear from the shelves. Very good beer. I am hard to please, and having had Zombie Dust and Flower Power I am jaded forever more. But for those that have been around, this is better than most. I rate it higher than Stone and Founders Centennial, on in the same discussion with Hop Devil, Lagunitas and Two Hearted and Sun King Osiris. (995 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%

"Bottled with love on 9/24"

A- A light haze within a yellow orange body. A great lacing yielded from a classic two finger fluffy head. A classic, but lighter than usual.

S- Citrus and tropical fruit notes of mango, starfruit, and unripe kiwi. There isn't really any malt in the nose.

T- My first though was, this tastes like the mooted juice of the chopped fruits in the nose mixed with the childhood thrill of Tang. There is some sweetness and a little of the English IPA take. A bit of bit for the 7.2% ABV to cut though everything.

M-Lightly carbonated, smooth, and tangy finish. Much lighter than the usual APA or IPA you are use to

Overall: Forget the 30 day rule: Seek, Acquire, Consume (698 characters)

4.27/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A-a clear golden color with two fingers worth of white head

S-smell is really delicious of grapefruit and tropical fruits

T-taste is similar to the smell with lots of tropical fruit sweetness, pale bready malt, and citrus

M-medium body, moderate carbonation

Overall a very fruity IPA, really delicious (306 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Great beer that I'm lucky to be able to find easily on the shelf this time of year.
Pours a brilliant, clear blonde with almost a two finger head.
Smells of dirt, flowers and pineapple-melon.
The taste is clean and floral with a residual sweetness.
I could drink this beer all day and never get tired of it.
Well done, Schlafly.
I would put this TIPA on par with brews like Zombie Dust and Heady Topper.
Look for it, it's a treat. (431 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I've had this one a handful of times, once on draft, but mostly bottled. Reviewing based off a bottle poured into a nonic glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden color with over a finger of white foamy head that reduces quickly and leaves a fair amount of lacing.
S: Wafting of citrus, slight pine, and almost a sugar candy. I'm intrigued by this one.
T: Similar to aroma - lots of mango and pineapple, pine to tone down the sweetness. There's a sweetness that I can't place my finger on, but it becomes dominant near the end and follows through the after taste.
M: Carbed well, leaves an ever so slightly dry after taste, but mainly a sweet taste that lingers.
O: Love this beer, it offers a great unique twist to a common style that certainly helps it stand out. (760 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this beer is very cool. it has a mango.peach.clementine aroma, spicy/bitter hops, fresh clean finish, coats the palate with a mellow bittersweetness lingering...it hits all the marks, solid (190 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: a little darker than a bud light, better lacing, not near the clarity of bud light but it's not bad

S: has a little bit of a spicey smell, pineapple, has a souring grapefruit smell I think it's the type of malts They use

T: Nice clean taste alcohol surprised by tasting the booze some pineapple and grapefruit pretty malty too but the malts compliment the bitterness

M: Lingering cloying just ok

O: I had this beer in January and older a lot older and I remember it being a lot better this beer is ok and as dad as schlafly goes pretty impressive but really it's ordinary for most other brewers. I thought this beer was better last year I'm disappointed I have 11 more bottled 9-24-14 (727 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours a very nice white and foamy head that takes a while to dissipate. The beer itself is a delightful and cheery orange yellow mix that is obviously unfiltered. However, the particles in the beer add some nice texture to the appearance. The smell is a very strong orange rind smell with light lemon notes. The beer taste is somewhat similar to the smell. The beer taste has strong bitter orange rind notes with a bit of a lemon zest to it. Generally, it is a very hoppy beer but not too bitter. The aftertaste has a very orange taste to it. The mouthfeel is prickly and medium bodied with a smooth finish. Overall, a fantastic IPA and worth getting when it's available. (680 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%

From 10/17/14 notes. 12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Been wanting to try this one for a while, tried 2-3 bottles over 2 days.

Pours a hazy bright yellow color with moderate sediment, one finger of bright white head and moderate carbonation evident. Citrus hops, tropical fruits, fruity malts, oranges, pineapples, and floral hops. Medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall very good; I liked this one a lot. Love galaxy hops and this gave a lot of juicy fruits and tropical notes to it. Hoping NYC gets this sometime soon. (536 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a semi-cloudy gold color with a nice head and amazing lacing that clings on for dear life to the side of the glass. Very light aroma with hints of pineapple and other assorted citrus, not much hops in the smell. My first time with a beer with exclusively Australian hops, I think, taste is very hoppy, yet allows a coo blend of tropical citrus to come through. This seems like a well balanced beer by my opinion. I love the cool hop bitterness and maly as it goes down, cooling the palate. Overall, I am pleased with this and look forward to other special releases from this brewery. (589 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I think we have a winner. Here goes:

L: Pours a clear yellow with a nice one-inch head. Leaves a ton of lacing as well. Also, this beer is just loaded with hops - I see a ton of hop particles suspended in the solution. It looks rather bodacious.

S: Wow, Galaxy hops are the bomb! Tropical flavors - tons of pineapple, mango, and tangerines against a floral citrus background. Beautiful.

T: Jeez, what a great flavor to complement the smell. Taste follows the nose with a host of tropical goodness. However, there's a very sufficient malt backbone to balance out the hop bitterness. Lightly-kilned amber malt follows immediately after a succulent hop bomb (can be tasted at the back of the palate). I have to say that this is a very well-balanced beer.

M: Perfect. Malt gives the beer an adequate body that's very filling and satisfying.

O: Outstanding. One of the best IPA's I've ever had. (912 characters)

Poured from a growler.

Pours a nice straw gold color. Kinda hazy. Big foamy, marshmallows head that hangs around. Great lacing.

Smell is of tropical fruit. Pineapple, mango, grapefruit are all present. Kind of a rich yeasty smell as well.

Taste is right upfront with tropical fruit. Pineapple, mango, with a slight grapefruit twang. Mellows into a slight hop bitterness that lingers a little bit. Not overly hoppy, but very light and refreshing.

Mouthfeel isn't too crisp, but is slightly creamy.

Great floral IPA. Very different with all the tropical flavors. (565 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - Opaque orange straw like color

Smell - dried fruit, bread, lemon zest, with a nice malty finish

Taste - lots of bittering hops up front followed by a tart grapefruit finish

mouthfeel - kind a dry finish for me

Overall - this TIPA was a fun beer to try again soon, hopefully. (291 characters)

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) from The Schlafly Tap Room