1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA) - The Schlafly Tap Room

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)Schlafly Tasmanian IPA (TIPA)

The Schlafly Tap Room visit their website
Missouri, United States

Availability: Fall

Our Tasmanian IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. The Tasmanian hop, Galaxy, is a strong, aromatic variety that is different from traditional strains of the Pacific Northwest. Our brewers developed a recipe that showcases the hop’s unique flavors of citrus and pineapple.

India Pale Ales (IPAs) were first brewed in England during the late 1700s for export overseas to British soldiers in India. To keep their beer from spoiling during the long voyage, English brewers fortified their traditional pale ale recipes with natural preservatives: more malted barley, for a higher alcohol content, and more hops. In recent decades, with growing appreciation for highly hopped beers, American craft brewers have revived the style, embraced it, and incorporated new hop varieties. Our Special Release IPAs further those traditions and showcase the distinctions of hops from different hemispheres.

(Beer added by: Megahertz on 10-12-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 836 | Reviews: 168 | Show All Ratings:
reebtaerG

Maryland

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Served into a pint glass at Lures

A-Bright yellow with a thin white head.

S-Big aroma of citrus and pineapple - the best part of this beer. Can't put my finger on the galaxy hop smell.

T- Taste is hoppy with a light bitterness that lingers through the finish like grapefruit. Some sweetness of the pineapple but mostly gently bitter.

M-Medium carbonation and mouthfeel.

O-overall great IPA by schlafly, must get six pack

01-10-2014 17:35:55 | More by reebtaerG
BierStein711

4.53/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Wow! What a fun beer to savor in the fall or winter weather. I picked up this sixer from one of my local stores.

The beer pours an off white head, and the body is as pale as a Bud or Coors Original. The head retains well, and a lace remniscent of fine lingerie remains. Carbonation is friendly, but not excessive like a cola.

As for how it feels, it feels like a standard IPA. Folks, you know you're drinking beer.

Taste: Pineapple at the start, with a sharp bite right after. Beechwood follows, and next a hint of pine. At the finish, a floral hop kisses you goodbye.

Overall, this is a grand beer. This changed my mind about the Schlafly brewery once and for all. I've got to explore more my fellow BAs. Time's a wasting! My next haul will have Schlafly!

01-03-2014 06:12:06 | More by BierStein711
Moerdertaktiken

3.9/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottled on 11/22/13 - Consumed 1/2/14

Appearance: Poured into Teku glass. Light fluffy white head that lingers, great lacing. Very light straw color, surprisingly lighter in color than expected.

Aroma: Huge aroma wafting out of the bottle as soon as it's opened. Big galaxy aroma. The first impression isn't necessarily "citrus." I can't really put my finger on it, and never have been able to describe Galaxy. Light fruits, passion fruit, White grapes. Very pleasant aroma.

Flavor: Big hop presence. Extremely dry, with absolutely no malt detected. Very fruity, with some slight herbal notes.

Overall: Great beer overall. I would have liked it to be slightly more balanced, but the flavor really shines through and takes over on this one. My opinion, but I think it could have used a touch of crystal for added complexity and balance. I'm sure I would have liked this more if it were a couple weeks younger.

01-02-2014 23:28:56 | More by Moerdertaktiken
nickapalooza86

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy golden orange, half finger of white head, nice lacing

Smell is crazy citrus, orange juice, grapefruit, pineapple, tropical notes, fresh cut flowers, tangerine, mangos, guava.... Well you get the idea

Here we go... Taste and I can not wait!, well, citrus and tropical fruit, but no where near the smell. Not that I am not impressed, but bases on the smell I did expect a little more. Orange, Citrus peal, tropical fruit, pine needle, floral notes, grapefruit bitterness in the end... No real notable malt flavor that I can pick up.

Mouthfeel is medium light, heavy carbonation, dry finish

Really nice IPA, if I could get it here I would stock it like mad while in season, If you are looking for citrus/tropical IPA that does it real nicely you can not go wrong here!!!!

12-27-2013 01:41:21 | More by nickapalooza86
darthvohn

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Glass Used: Nonic pint

Appearance: Hazy golden-orange with an egg shell white two finger dense foamy head. The lace left behind was ample.

Smell: A very delectable sweet grapefruit and pineapple aroma that kept my nose in the glass. Very tropical smelling.

Taste: Full sweet citrus all the way through - orange, pineapple, and some other tropical fruity flavor that has me wanting another swig from the glass. The malt is there toward the end as well. The finish leaves a grassy floral hop note which is downright comforting and relaxing to me.

Mouthfeel:Lip smackingly delicious. Moderate carbonation.

Overall: The more Schlafly I drink, the more I wish they distributed in Dallas. I have not had a bad brew from them and the ones I have had have been down right tasty. Another hearty thanks to Pintofbrown for including this one in our trade.

12-26-2013 23:34:57 | More by darthvohn
LambicPentameter

Kansas

4.34/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes. Enjoyed on Nov. 6th, 2013 out of a brown bottle marked with a bottling date of 9/25/2013, so a little over a month old. Poured into a Speigelau IPA glass.

Appearance - Pours with a body of slightly hazy orange and yellow, with golden sunlight highlights glinting where the ambient light diffuses through the liquid. Looks very rich in color overall. Atop the body sits a frothy two-finger head the color of white tinged with an almost imperceptible hint of orange. Bubbles are very small and produce a dense-looking head, like a thick fog sitting over the beer lake below it. Retention is excellent, and when the head finally begins to recede, it leaves ample lacing around the glass. This continues with noticeable rings as I drink it down. The foam on top never completely disappears, leaving a healthy thick film across the top throughout the duration.

Smell - Citrus explosion is the best way to describe the aroma. It's like if an IPA and a glass of orange juice had a the most beautiful beverage baby in the world. For my money, there isn't a better showcase of Galaxy hop aroma out there, keeping in mind that I haven't had very many Galaxy single-hop beers. I don't get much of the grain bill in the aroma, but there is a tropical element that prevents acidic overload from the citrus notes.

Taste - The smell was an excellent lead-in to an outstanding tasting beer. Again, full Galaxy citrus fruit is on display, with notes of fresh-squeezed orange juice and lemon zest as well as grapefruit bitterness, but faint. I also get a bit more of the tropical element than I did on the aroma, with some pineapple peeking through and some more generic tropical fruit sweetness, though not overpowering. I also get a bit more of the grain bill here with pale malt providing a nice bit of backbone without getting in the way of the star of the show--the hops. Some grapef

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied and well carbonated, with a predominantly dry finish, in spite of a hint of lingering sweetness. Overall it is a dry finishing beer though.

Overall, this is without a doubt Schlafly's best offering, and that includes their typically excellent Pumpkin Ale. This is a beer I will make a point to buy every season when it comes out.

12-26-2013 21:25:55 | More by LambicPentameter
Greywulfken

4.41/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: medium gold with amber-orange inclinations, clear with a full head of white foam that left some lacing as it retreated down the glass

S: bright citrus notes, fruity and floral...

T: juicy, citrusy, orange and pineapple, tangy and zesty, fresh; clean malt bill underscores and never overshadows the brilliant hop action

M: medium-to light, tight and zesty, fresh, clean, bright

O: a fantastic IPA - can't believe there's this much fruitiness just from the hops - really tremendous hop bill blossoms brilliantly

12-17-2013 21:28:04 | More by Greywulfken
Ri0

4.51/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

poured 12oz bottle into a snifter. Bottled on 11/14/13.

A - A bright and slightly hazy yellow tangerine liquid with a white 2 finger head. Fades into a collar and leaves behind generous amounts of webbed lacing.

S - So the aroma is near perfect to me. Tons of tropical goodness, pineapple, mango, tangerine, and even some apricot. The malt is a light honey suckle or clover sweetness that works in harmony with the hops.

T - What a mouthful of flavor this IPA packs. Again it is big on the tropical fruit, pineapple, mango, and tangerine. There is a nice bitterness, but it is not grapefruit. There is just enough sweetness to keep the hops from completely dominating.

M - Light body with moderate carbonation. Has a nice slick feel.

O - Schlafly has a real winner on their hands that can hang with all the big Citra IPAs. This was really well done and excellent to quaff. Harold, thank you for sending this!

12-11-2013 22:27:12 | More by Ri0
woodychandler

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I am so elated to have found this during a recent Veterans Day foray to State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD! PA is not yet part of Schlafly's distribution chain, but I have known brewer Stephen Hale for some time and I always enjoy what he has brewed up.

From the bottle: "A Special Release IPA, TIPA is available for a limited time, with a new IPA every few months."; "Schlafly Tasmanian Style IPA is brewed with 100% Australian hops. They impart a unique citrus flavor to the ale."

I was anxious and slowly growing tired, so popped the cap and got an aggro pour going. This resulted in two fingers of rocky, bone-white head with decent retention. Color was a hazy sunshine-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose was very pineapple, reminding us yet again that hops and marijuana are from the same family. Pineapple Express, anyone? Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was earthy, less fruity than on the nose, although I definitely tasted the pineapple flavor. The malt gave it a cake-like sweetness to the point that I could taste pineapple upside-down cake, courtesy of my late maternal grandmother. She could cook and when I began high school, I was ensconced in the Home Ec kitchens, learning how to cook for myself. We used to get baked at Lunch and then start baking in Home Ec and man, did everything taste good! This was not a subtle beer, but neither was it a bitter, in-your-face hop bomb. It had a nice mellowness, especially on the finish, which was only semi-dry, at best. I really dig what brewers are doing currently and I would recommend this as an AIPA for those who do not generally like AIPAs. Very user-friendly, dig?

12-07-2013 02:59:46 | More by woodychandler
Pencible

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

A: This poured a clear light gold with a bit of white head.
S: It smelled like bold fresh apricot and bitter grapefruit and dank herbal hops, with a little sweet honey malt.
T: It tasted like bitter grapefruit and unripe apricot, with some sweet honey and dank herbal hops. It had a clean bitter aftertaste.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Decent body.
D: This was a top tier IPA. Great clean scent and taste like a liquid hop. The body was ok and the finish was really smooth, so it was quite easy to drink. Yum.

12-06-2013 16:03:31 | More by Pencible
onefmatt

4.48/5  rDev +4.9%

Served out of a bottle into a hotel tumbler

A: slightly hazy but transparent straw color with a light colored head

S: super fruity smell, mango and pineapple

T: sweet fruit up front, nice grapefruit, slightly piney bitterness on the back

M: very light body to go Along with the fresh fruit taste, especially considering the ABV

O: a very tasty IPA, I would definitely pick this up again

12-05-2013 02:25:36 | More by onefmatt
GarthDanielson

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint, the beer is a bright, slightly hazed, straw-gold coloring with some sedimentation throughout and a clingy, frothy, bright white head. Steady flow of carbonation throughout the body, as well. Aromas of tangerine, orange zest, grapefruit, lime, and melon, with hints of bitterness. This smells amazing. Flavors are a heavy dose of citrus sweet and tart forward, with a tangy melon characteristic once again coming through. A bit more bitterness in the backbone, with a subtle spice building at the end of the palate. Peppery, giving an edge to all the sweet and tart notes throughout, and providing a more solid, bitter backbone into the aftertaste, as well. Mid-bodied, but with a slightly sharp, effervesced edge to it, keeping it refreshing and somewhat on the light side. The finish is slightly frothy, with a tart and bitter power struggle continuing on right to the end. Hints of resinous characteristics finally come through, but only in the finishing linger. Pretty damn solid IPA...and the dynamic and rich flavor profiles hide the slightly elevated ABV very well.

12-05-2013 01:13:36 | More by GarthDanielson
buschbeer

4.23/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 FLUID OZ. bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - It is lighter for an IPA. It is gold in color with a couple inches of white head. Hell, it looks almost like a pilsner.

S - The aroma has hints of mango and tangerine and even a little grapefruit.

T - The taste is pretty much the same. It starts out with some tropical fruit and orange and finishes with a slight grapefruit bitterness.

M - Moderate and very smooth for an IPA.

O - This beer was a nice pickup. I had never heard of it. It turned out to be a damn good beer. It is really smooth and easy drinking. I wish I had gotten a six pack instead of a single now.

12-01-2013 02:03:48 | More by buschbeer
rangerred

Tennessee

4.26/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a fairly hazy light straw yellow with a one finger white head. Ok lacing and head retention and really the overall appearance isn't all that impressive.

The aroma on this really blows me away! i love the tropical fruit nose this one puts out. Tons of pinapple and mango but there are also some really nice Earthy undertones. A touch of dankness in there even.

The flavor just continues the tropical fruit explosion. More pineapple and mango along with that tea-like earthiness that is present in the aroma. Bitterness is on the medium to high side along with a slightly chalky mouthfeel. More stickyness in the finish than I was anticipating but it works.

Overall, a very tasty IPA. I love the Galaxy hop and it is showcased beautifully here. A really nice, unique, IPA that is worth picking up.

12-01-2013 01:42:44 | More by rangerred
Zraly

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a DFH IPA glass. Clear gold with a beautiful white head. Not the first time I've had this and each time I pour, I'm very impressed with the appearance and the gorgeous nose. Tons of tropical fruit notes waft in a very seductive way.

Really tasty pineapple and mango hop notes; Galaxy hops are a wonderful thing. Clean bitterness on the finish. Medium-bodied and nothing too complicated by the way of malt bill. Likely a simple two row pale malt; so light I don't think there is much else to it! I declare this is a likely a SMaSH beer and a mighty fine one at that. Something to be said about one malt, one hop.

Sexy-ass IPA, all the way. Delicious and good for the soul.

11-26-2013 21:45:38 | More by Zraly
Sludgeman

4.54/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

“Bottled with love” on 10/23/13. Purchased $12.99/sixer. Poured into a pint glass.

Well balanced for an IPA. Appearance is holding this beer back from greatness. 4.5

A – Pours a clear pale yellow, almost BMC-like color with a one-finger rocky white that dissipates to a thin layer. Good lacing. 3.25

S – A beautiful aroma, flora, almost perfume like. 5

T – Good bitterness up front with a slight sweetness in the finish. 4.5

MF – There is a smoothness to this beer, but it is also quite refreshing with a bit of sharpness. Medium bodied. Medium-dry finish. 4.5

11-24-2013 23:30:17 | More by Sludgeman
cjgiant

3.7/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a little on the light side of golden, with some larger bubble head, and some lacing. Having had it before, I expected a stronger aroma, but I didn't get a strong smell. Some wet cardboard, with hints of orange (edit: as the beer "breathed", I noticed more orange, as the taste indicates).

Front taste starts with some carbonation, the hits with orange! I don't mean orange notes, but orange. This mellows into mango and pineapple as the taste fades. There is actually a little woodiness in the end with a dryer than expected feel.

I liked this beer more in my memory than in this tasting. I usually like a nice citrus-flavored IPA, but this is missing something to me, its base is too standard, to me. I think it would be an interesting try for a new IPA drinker, though.

(Note: I thought there was a blandness to another beer I didn't expect much of earlier today, and I wondered if it might be the day, but my girlfriend agreed that the beer wasn't as good as she remembered from a bottle she had bought a week ago. Maybe they altered something?)

11-22-2013 21:55:02 | More by cjgiant
facundoCNB

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a clean golden yellow pour with a weak 1/4" of head which left a tiny bit of foamy head behind. a citrusy tropical aroma - notes of pineapple, mango, and a hint of mint.. reminds me a lot of the hbc-342 profile. again, a really nice tropical flavor profile, very reminiscent of th ehbc-342 experimental hop profile i messed around with last year on a single hop, single grain beer i did. minty bitterness with a lot of pineapple and mango.
medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation.
this is a pretty nice experimental ipa. not sure how long it's going to be available so i'd probably pick some up and enjoy it while it lasts. the grain bill tastes fairly simple, but this one's supposed to be all about the hop character anyway, and is a great example of tropical notes in a hop profile.

11-20-2013 06:42:16 | More by facundoCNB
RonfromJersey

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pale gold body, good clarity, steady carbonation streams, topped by four fingers of white micro bubbles of all sizes. Good thorough drippy lace. This could sneak up on the non-craft drinker because it looks like an excellent pour of an America Lager.

Terrific fruity aroma, take your pick, mango, tangerine, grapefruit. It's a cornucopia.

Nice light semi-sweet foundation. Juicy fruit squirting all over the mouth. Mild bitter snap at the swallow. Light fruity finish.

Light medium smooth mouthfeel.

A very good seasonal IPA. Big fan of galaxy hops, and they are used well here.

11-19-2013 19:00:13 | More by RonfromJersey
Chaney

4.78/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dude, this stuff is off the hook!

Served in a Schlafly tulip.

A: Poured about as clear as it can get, apricot in color, and with a soft, yet sticky, white head that clung to the glass.

S: Totally Galaxy, through and through. Reminded me of a saison I dry-hopped with Galaxy a couple of years ago, only much, much better. Fruity, hoppy, POW!!

T: Nice hop character, but this one is straight up Island of Hawaii stuff: Orange, mango, and pineapple. Love it!

M: The carbonation was perfect for the style, the beer was somewhat on the sweet side, but still not candy-like, and it was just a flat out drinkable brew any way you cut it.

O: I'm a big fan of Schlafly and of the man himself (so kind to us military folks). However, this one needs no fanboy-dom to find the awesomeness. Amazing!

11-15-2013 20:33:45 | More by Chaney
BigBearBeerBro

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: This pours a translucent orange with a nice white head. Fine sediment suspended at pour.

S: The smell is incredible on this one! I get the tropical citrus punch, with dough, candy, and sticky nectar.

T: The taste is delightful! I get a myriad of tastes from the citrus spectrum, followed by a doughy maltiness, followed by a florally citrus wallop! Its really an experience. Dynamic taste! Fantastic!

M: The beer is medium bodied, especially for a 7+ abv.

O: Overall another quality special release series from Schlafly - which by the way, in my opinion, makes average staple - year round available beer. This is a fantastic single hop (galaxy) IPA! Strongly recommend!

11-15-2013 04:32:18 | More by BigBearBeerBro
BarrytheBear

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle courtesy of Brandon and bottle dated as just over three weeks old. Ughh...probably a gross, stale fallen off shell of a hoppy beer by now.

Pours a slightly hazed light yellow with a nice crown that sticks around...like British royalty. Lace like post prom.

Smells of green onion and tangerine.

Taste starts Summit-like...big onion...and moves into a vegetative dankness. The finish brightens up with sugared fruit slices...mango and orange with a trailing light sweetness and lingering fruitiness on the tongue.

Thank you Brandon for helping with a want here. A very nice IPA that stands neck-and-neck with, if not above, many of the IPA's I drank this past weekend in Portland.

11-14-2013 02:03:41 | More by BarrytheBear
BradtheGreat7

4.24/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Review taken from notes October 2013

12 oz brown bottle with nice simple Schlafly logos and labels. Really nice looking bottling as usual from these guys. Poured into a standard American pint glass.

A - bright glowing yellow golden with a slight hint of orange throughout. White head pours nice and forms a nice ring of lace leaving trails of stick behind.

S - fruity citrus aromas galore of juicy orange and pineapple fruity hop whiffs. A hint of hop spice and light malt toward the back end with more fruit goodness coming in the finishing whiffs of the nose.

T - juicy fruit filled notes nearly gush my palate. Orange, and pineapple with loads of citrusy hops. The malt is on the light side but still finds itself balancing nicely in what's a pretty sturdy bitterness in the finish. Fresh fruity citrus, a big bitterness but still juicy and refreshing flavor.

M - medium bodied and a very good thickness to the mouthfeel. Bitter but exactly the way an ipa should be.

O - Tasmanian ipa is a surprise to me. I'm up and down with Schlafly. While some of their stuff I find awesome I also find some to be lacking an it factor. But in the case of Tasmanian IPA they nailed it. Galaxy hops are some of my favorite while I'm also a firm believer in single hop brews and this brewery knocked this out of the park and in brilliant fashion. I will most definitely be drinking this again!

11-12-2013 19:12:02 | More by BradtheGreat7
corby112

3.55/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy, pale golden yellow color with straw colored hues and a one finger, frothy white head that slowly settles into a thin, lasting ring. Pretty good retention with spotty lacing coating the glass on the way down.

Earthy, floral aroma with lots of oily hops and pine needle countered by subtle citrus fruit sweetness and a pale malt backbone. Dank and resinous with fresh buds, grass and pine sap followed by faint hints of grapefruit, pineapple and orange peel. Some biscuit-y malts in there as well with hints of bread and light fruit. The hops are fresh and juicy but since they primarily use Galaxy/Austrailan hops, I was expecting more of tropical/citrus presence in the nose.

Medium body with tight carbonation and a blast of dry, earthy bitterness that lingers over the sweeter notes and pale malt backbone into a bone dry finish. A bit sweeter than the nose suggests but the flavor is dominated by sticky, piney hops. Very dry with lots of resinous hop oils, grassy pine needle, spruce tip and dank nuggets. This is followed by a subtle summit/onion flavor and a bit of juicy tropical fruit sweetness. Hints of grapefruit, pineapple and lemon peel cut through the bitterness but it could use a lot more to balance things out. Underneath, there's a subtle pale malt backbone that provides hints if bread, biscuit and some sweeter light fruit flavors, especially apple. The mouthfeel falls off a bit toward the end of the palate, finishing slightly watery. The ABV is nicely masked making this beer pretty easy to drink but the hop flavors are slightly one dimensional. There's not enough sweetness for my preference and the summit/onion flavor comes on very strong toward the back end with an unpleasant lingering aftertaste.

11-11-2013 06:34:08 | More by corby112
brewskis

Indiana

4.36/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Pours a translucent golden, straw-like, orange color with a finger head that dissipates slowly and leaves a blanket of lacing. Lots of carbonation coming off the glass. Smells of dank, grapefruit, passionfruit, tropical fruits, lots of floral. Not getting much malt presence. Very juicy aroma. Tastes a lot like it smells. Starts with passionfruit and juicy tropical fruits. Then a burst of bitterness comes through, along with a tiny bit of carmel from the malt to lightly balance the hops. The finish brings grapefruit rind, tangerines, more juicy tropical fruits like mango and guava, passionfruit, a slight grain note, and a carmel/honey presence to provide the perfect backbone to showcase the galaxy hops. An assertive bitterness lingers on the palate. Alcohol is nonexistent; would have never guessed it was 7.2%. Medium body. Crisp and refreshing with a creamy and oily mouthfeel. Wow, this an IPA worth seeking out.

11-10-2013 02:04:18 | More by brewskis